Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #41  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauraloolooView Post
here's me being clueless. . .but how do you know if someone has favorited one of your cards?????
when you click on the thumbnail to look at one pic, under the date posted and views is a category favorited if the card has been favorited. This is my most favorited and I post it only as a example, it was probably favorited by a bunch of Girl Scout leaders:rolleyes: and it was linked to a challenge one time so a lot of people looked at it.
My Facebook Page
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #42  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you feel the topic is being brought up so much, then just skip over and move on? I didn't realize I was beating a dead horse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 04:49 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamperView Post
See that's just it. In order for someone to come in here and tell you this has been hashed and rehashed they had to click on the thread link, open it, read it, click on reply, type a reply, click on submit. Instead they could have just rolled their eyes, shaken their head and moved on.

Obviously I'm having a grumpy morning and itching for a fight. Hope it passes before DH gets home:-D I'm out!
I kinda agree with that one...it's ironic in a way...no time to leave a positive comment, but time to gripe!

That being said, I try to leave a comment every time i favorite it with something like "i love the (blah blah blah). Into my favorites it goes!" That way they know why i liked it so much.

I also understand how a comment can just make your day...you work so hard on something only to have a million poeple look at it but not say anything about it--it can be depressing sometimes...:(

Yep, me and Nutswithtwins are BFF's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #44  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin_in_atlasView Post
I kinda agree with that one...it's ironic in a way...no time to leave a positive comment, but time to gripe!

That being said, I try to leave a comment every time i favorite it with something like "i love the (blah blah blah). Into my favorites it goes!" That way they know why i liked it so much.

I also understand how a comment can just make your day...you work so hard on something only to have a million poeple look at it but not say anything about it--it can be depressing sometimes...:(
I didn't mean we should comment on every single card, but I personally feel that if I'm taking the time to favorite your creativity, then I should say something positive about it.

That's all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #45  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by piedpipurrView Post
I also enjoy reading peoples comments but I sometimes wonder why..... that when someone asks a question to the card maker in the comments section, more times than not the cardmarker doesn't answer them. I find this just as much a downer.
When someone asks a question when leaving a comment in my gallery, I send a PM rather than answer them in the comment section. So I guess it would appear that the question wasn't answered, when in fact it was. I'm sure most people respond in that way.

I'd also like to add that people do enjoy getting comments on the cards they post. If you appreciate the fact that they share ideas, and use you those ideas for your inspiration, isn't it just common courtesy to tell them so?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 05:04 PM   #46  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy HeartView Post
When someone asks a question when leaving a comment in my gallery, I send a PM rather than answer them in the comment section. So I guess it would appear that the question wasn't answered, when in fact it was. I'm sure most people respond in that way.

I'd also like to add that people do enjoy getting comments on the cards they post. If you appreciate the fact that they share ideas, and use you those ideas for your inspiration, isn't it just common courtesy to tell them so?
And to add: If you too want the answer to a question or input on technique you can pm the artist. Everyone here is super helpful.
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy HeartView Post

i also will PM a person with the answer to a question...

i will then go to the description of my card and add the info there as well. sometimes i forget to add some info and the question will bring that to my attention.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post
i also will PM a person with the answer to a question...
i will then go to the description of my card and add the info there as well. ...
That's a smart way to handle it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #49  
Mad Swapper

goober here!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbalcerView Post
Try using the little down arrow *next* to the back button. A list of recently visited pages will be there, and you can just choose from there.

I like to open the card in another window when I get a chance to visit the gallery and leave comments.

Can I admit this.....yeah okay- in all of my years (quite a few), I have never used that little tiny button- HOLY COW, I feel like a dork! Thank goodness I continued to read this forum, so I could discover the magic tiny button!

WOW, I feel so empowered now- I need to go use that button!

And yes, I am DEAD serious, this is not sarcasm!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 08:18 PM   #50  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks to those who commented on my thought about cardmakers not answering questions. I didn't realize that it is a practice to private email to someone's question. Sometimes while looking at a card I might have the same question but didn't see an answer.

I appreciate your comments.
Carole
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 09:22 PM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to say what I'm thinking...if I offend somebody, it's certainly not my intent, 'k?

Do any of you ever wonder about the sincerity of comments you get, knowing or suspecting that the comment was made as a result of a thread like this? Or maybe one of the many "comment game" threads? I mean, to me it seems like people would tend to sort of look at commenting as an assignment, something to get through quickly. Are you really pleased when you get a comment if you feel like that?

I don't have any expectations of comments on my cards. I know there have been times when I've commented on somebody's card only to find a "reciprocal" comment in my gallery soon after. Of course I don't mind a comment, but I have to say they can seem sort of like duty thank you notes, lol, rather than spontaneous "oh, how cool!" comments. Does that make any sense?

Then there's the threads that talk about just 'how' comments should go, like needing to give a specific example of what it is about the project that I like. Ehh??? If I comment on a card saying something like "<gasp!> OMG, how cute is that????!!," please know that I really did just say that out loud right before or as I was typing. I probably didn't take any one thing to exclaim about, it's the whole thing that just jumped out at me. And now I'm given to understand that there's a whole bunch of people for whom that isn't a good enough comment, lol.

I know and understand what the op is saying. Who doesn't like to get comments? But I don't, I really don't, understand this desire to push everybody to act and think the same way. If you decide to act thus and so in response to this or that, wonderful! But that's where it's got to end....it is not reasonable at all to say that because you feel it's right that everybody should. Kind of a "it's my way or the highway" approach to life.

So, Kathy O. said it much better. Certainly so much quicker, lol! Do what YOU feel is right for you. Don't expect everyone to act or feel the same way though. Allow them the courtesy of letting them act the way that's appropriate for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 09:37 PM   #52  
Mad Swapper

I think you expressed yourself well, and I get what you're saying, but I know for myself I've participated in the comment games and my comments were always genuine even though the game might have gotten me to leave more comments than I normally would. (sorry for the super long sentence!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 11:06 PM   #53  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,061 Likes on 816 Posts

[QUOTE=piedpipurr;10821097]I've read some of the other threads about people not commenting and have been trying to do better in that area myself.

I also enjoy reading peoples comments but I sometimes wonder why..... that when someone asks a question to the card maker in the comments section, more times than not the cardmarker doesn't answer them. I find this just as much a downer.

QUOTE]

I have found that quite often if I have asked a question in my comment, I'll get a PM with a reply in it. I'd say it happens more often than not. And of course, if I was really desperate to know, and not just mildly curious, I would feel that I could PM whoever had posted the card myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #54  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,061 Likes on 816 Posts

Oops - I replied when I got to your first post about asking questions, and now I've got to the second page of the thread and see other people have made the same reply.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 04:47 AM   #55  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to say what I'm thinking...if I offend somebody, it's certainly not my intent, 'k?

Do any of you ever wonder about the sincerity of comments you get, knowing or suspecting that the comment was made as a result of a thread like this? Or maybe one of the many "comment game" threads? I mean, to me it seems like people would tend to sort of look at commenting as an assignment, something to get through quickly. Are you really pleased when you get a comment if you feel like that?

I don't have any expectations of comments on my cards. I know there have been times when I've commented on somebody's card only to find a "reciprocal" comment in my gallery soon after. Of course I don't mind a comment, but I have to say they can seem sort of like duty thank you notes, lol, rather than spontaneous "oh, how cool!" comments. Does that make any sense?

Then there's the threads that talk about just 'how' comments should go, like needing to give a specific example of what it is about the project that I like. Ehh??? If I comment on a card saying something like "<gasp!> OMG, how cute is that????!!," please know that I really did just say that out loud right before or as I was typing. I probably didn't take any one thing to exclaim about, it's the whole thing that just jumped out at me. And now I'm given to understand that there's a whole bunch of people for whom that isn't a good enough comment, lol.

I know and understand what the op is saying. Who doesn't like to get comments? But I don't, I really don't, understand this desire to push everybody to act and think the same way. If you decide to act thus and so in response to this or that, wonderful! But that's where it's got to end....it is not reasonable at all to say that because you feel it's right that everybody should. Kind of a "it's my way or the highway" approach to life.

So, Kathy O. said it much better. Certainly so much quicker, lol! Do what YOU feel is right for you. Don't expect everyone to act or feel the same way though. Allow them the courtesy of letting them act the way that's appropriate for them.
very well said!! i agree
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 05:14 AM   #56  
Glitter Queen

Thumbs up

Quote:

I totally agree with you, sure comments are great but if people look at my stuff and don't comment or favorite it and don't comment that's ok too. I guess to each her (or his) own, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 06:52 AM   #57  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Of ALL the threads on this subject ( and there are MANY!) this is by far the best comment I have seen on the subject. I especially love what you said about the desire to push everybody to act and think the same way... I can not tell you how ticked off I get at these threads and you just nailed it. It is because there are people out there that want to control every aspect of our lives and I am sick of it. I can't say anything better that what you have said but way to go and I totally agree! Let people do what is right for them and you do what is right for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 07:44 AM   #58  
Die Cut Diva

Thumbs up

high five sister friend..........high five

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #59  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBakerView Post
Of ALL the threads on this subject ( and there are MANY!) this is by far the best comment I have seen on the subject. I especially love what you said about the desire to push everybody to act and think the same way... I can not tell you how ticked off I get at these threads and you just nailed it. It is because there are people out there that want to control every aspect of our lives and I am sick of it. I can't say anything better that what you have said but way to go and I totally agree! Let people do what is right for them and you do what is right for you.
WOAH! I by NO MEANS have any intentions of making anyone feel this way.

Just because I make a suggestion, and what I'm personally trying to do suddenly means that I'm trying to control every aspect of your life?

It's a freaking suggestion to comment when favoriting someone's work! That's all. It's just a SUGGESTION--not a CONTROL.

If you are so sick of all these topics like this, then IGNORE IT! I AM SO TERRIBLY SORRY!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 09:03 AM   #60  

I agree with MSBetsyZ too. Very well put. I wish people would realize that there all different kinds of people, and not everyone is an outgoing, talkative person. It's not that way IRL and it certainly is not that way on the web. I know for myself, I am a pretty quiet, reserved person in public, and somewhat the same way in online social situations. I will never have thousand and thousand of posts. I do post comments now and then, but isn't a necessity in my book. When I post to the gallery, I'm not looking for flattery and compliments, I just enjoy sharing my passion with people from my favorite place on the web, SCS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 10:19 AM   #61  
Inking Addict

i just recently started uploading cards into my gallery...i don't get many comments, but a few have been favorited...i love reading the comments, but i also like being favorited...it means someone really liked what i did.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 10:27 AM   #62  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaiTiView Post

Just because I make a suggestion, and what I'm personally trying to do suddenly means that I'm trying to control every aspect of your life?

It's a freaking suggestion to comment when favoriting someone's work! That's all. It's just a SUGGESTION--not a CONTROL.

If you are so sick of all these topics like this, then IGNORE IT! I AM SO TERRIBLY SORRY!
I can tell you are feeling 'irked' and I don't blame you. I think everyone's frustration on this subject is kind of being taken out on you, which is unfortunate, because I think you posted your suggestion in a very kind, respectful way. You didn't demand it, you didn't try making anyone feel guilty, you just made a suggestion.............and it's a good one! I get a little bummed also...........a couple weeks ago I posted a couple of cards that I was totally psyched about. The first day I got favorited, but no comments.........and I was really hoping for some one these two cards. I ended up asking the dork sisters to check them out, just to boost my spirits.

That's not to say I don't love being favorited, because I do.........it's the highest form of flattery in my opinion, and for the most part, not getting comments doesn't bother me...............but once in awhile, if I'm really proud of a card, I do get bummed.

Anyway, just wanted to say I'm sorry if you feel like you're getting the brunt of this.................if you haven't read "these threads" in the past, you couldn't know how much it's been talked about. Not that it really matters, many many subjects get rehashed several times.............we all have the option to read them............or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #63  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

MaiTi - no need to say you are sorry! I know it sounds like everyone is directing it at you, but we aren't - I think we are just speaking in general terms - but that's the downside of message boards...it can be hard to read the tone.

I think you have a very valid point about commenting - I always do my best to comment and appreciate comments in return! And I also do agree that each person has their own style & way of using this website, which is totally cool with me!

at any rate, I just want you to know that you didn't offend me at all and I totally don't think you need to apologize! This is what discussions are for :mrgreen:

(with that, i'm off to look at some galleries! woo!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 10:48 AM   #64  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

You just hit a very touchy & worked over subject is all (I know you weren't aware of this).

Honestly, I really wish there was a sticky note on this forum (Daven, are you listening??) regarding this subject. I don't expect there to be rules on commenting/favoriting - but just just a sticky saying "commenting is not required, but appreciated".

:-) Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnekView Post
You just hit a very touchy & worked over subject is all (I know you weren't aware of this).
I agree with this and was going to post the same thing. I hope you don't take it personally. This topic comes up again and again and it's never pretty.

I personally think this topic gets heated because to those of us who don't comment much it looks like the people supporting comments are saying we are not polite or curtious. I'm both in real life. I try to come across as both on the boards. I could give my "excuse" for not commenting, but I really don't feel like I need to. I don't feel like you were asking me to either, don't think I'm directing any ire at you. (any of you) But I think that's how some of these threads read to people who are not big commenters. And of course the people who support comments do think it's polite and nice and warm and friendly. So oddly, a little thing like comments really is a hard topic to discuss.

Anyhow that's just my take. I really wanted to tell you that the "I get sick of these threads" feeling isn't really about you, it's about how this topic plays out usually. So please don't take it personally.

hugs,
e

ps, I don't get sick of these threads, I love a good drama. teeheehee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #66  
Insane Embellisher

I think the only way to avoid these problems in the future would be to get rid of the comment features. Comments are nice & I have left them for projects that really caught my eye BUT I always get a little zing of excitement seeing the # of people who have looked at or (even better) placed my creation in their favorites. Remember when we had the 1 - 10 "rate this card" scale? People felt very strongly about that (hurt feelings for low ratings / worries about the high ratings being insincere). It eventually went the way of the dodo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #67  
Stampin' Fool

I really wasn't taking it personally until I read the "trying to control every aspect of our lives" comment. That kinda got to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #68  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Quote:

Do any of you ever wonder about the sincerity of comments you get, knowing or suspecting that the comment was made as a result of a thread like this?
Sensitively put, Betsy. I agree 101%.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

One of the hardest aspects of message boards is learning not to take things so personally. Generally, comments aren't slamming the original post so much as they are stating a different opinion. Doing so certainly does not imply anger or disgust towards the poster, yet so many people take it that way. If you say you like asparagus, and I come back with, "ooh, yuck!," very few people would assume I was thinking you were a nitwit or worse for liking it, lol.

Extreme example, but not so far off the subject, really. If one person wants to do or act a certain way, say by commenting if favoriting, wonderful. But even to suggest that other people do that is not fair. Please note I'm not saying horrible, lol. But, in any example, when you suggest someone do something other than what they are doing, you are saying "my way is better/nicer than yours." Nothing wrong with putting forward what "I" do in a situation. If someone sees that and thinks, "cool! Maybe I'll try doing that, too!," then so be it. If they don't, again, so be it.

People will always have different opinions. Discussion boards would be meaningless if everybody felt the same...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 12:11 PM   #70  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I really wasn't taking it personally until I read the "trying to control every aspect of our lives" comment. That kinda got to me.
I don't think that comment was directed at you specifically - I think it was more a general statement. That's how I took it anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
I agree with this and was going to post the same thing. I hope you don't take it personally. This topic comes up again and again and it's never pretty.

I personally think this topic gets heated because to those of us who don't comment much it looks like the people supporting comments are saying we are not polite or curtious. I'm both in real life. I try to come across as both on the boards. I could give my "excuse" for not commenting, but I really don't feel like I need to. I don't feel like you were asking me to either, don't think I'm directing any ire at you. (any of you) But I think that's how some of these threads read to people who are not big commenters. And of course the people who support comments do think it's polite and nice and warm and friendly. So oddly, a little thing like comments really is a hard topic to discuss.

Anyhow that's just my take. I really wanted to tell you that the "I get sick of these threads" feeling isn't really about you, it's about how this topic plays out usually. So please don't take it personally.

hugs,
e

ps, I don't get sick of these threads, I love a good drama. teeheehee
i think this was VERY well put...

i think the OP hadn't a clue that this subject has be re-re-re-hashed till it was mashed!

tho everyone is entitled to their opinion, i will say some threads DO get very heated!

BTW... i love to leave comments! i am a gabber IRL so, it is just in my nature to do it. i like to return comments to people who leave comments in my gallery because i feel like there was something we liked in common. it gets me into galleries i might not have stumbled into any other way.

i like to peruse the '1 day' gallery and galleries of sets that i have or would like to have. i love to check out the challenges. i am a sponge just soaking up inspiration.

thank you to all who share their creations with me.

i guess i will be checking out some galleries now...

happy stamping all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #72  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by momis mamaView Post
i think this was VERY well put...

i think the OP hadn't a clue that this subject has be re-re-re-hashed till it was mashed!

tho everyone is entitled to their opinion, i will say some threads DO get very heated!

BTW... i love to leave comments! i am a gabber IRL so, it is just in my nature to do it. i like to return comments to people who leave comments in my gallery because i feel like there was something we liked in common. it gets me into galleries i might not have stumbled into any other way.

i like to peruse the '1 day' gallery and galleries of sets that i have or would like to have. i love to check out the challenges. i am a sponge just soaking up inspiration.

thank you to all who share their creations with me.

i guess i will be checking out some galleries now...

happy stamping all!
You always know how to make it allllllll better! lol Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #73  

ok I have a puzzle, I got email notification of a comment, but I went to check it and it's not there. Don't think I ever had someone take one back:rolleyes:
It tells me who, and when but there is no such comment.
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #74  
Die Cut Diva

My 2 cents on this topic.

I don't have a gallery, but that's my choice. I at times will look at a few cards in whatever gallery comes up first or if a post has a link, I will look at a few cards in that link. I have only commented about 3-4 times. I don't consider it a comment if I were to only put 1, 2 or 3 words. To me a comment is several sentences so I can get my point across.

I prefer to just look at the cards and don't feel I really need to comment. I'm not trying to be rude, but I also never thought it was necessary to give a comment unless I saw something that REALLY caught my interest. Most cards are very nice, but how can I leave a comment about that?

I also find that many of the cards in the galleries are not very clear. Many are very dark and unable to see the detail in them. I'd rather leave a comment about that so that the poster may have the ability to make the picture clearer/brighter or whatever is necessary.

Isn't the point of the gallery so that people can show cards they make because they love the craft? If that's the reason, then it requires no comment.

P.S....I'm not trying to cut anyone down or criticize, just putting in my 2 cents. I also don't understand why people need to copy someone else's card exactly and I also don't know what "Favoriting" is anyway. But that's another topic.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #75  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post

P.S....I'm not trying to cut anyone down or criticize, just putting in my 2 cents. I also don't understand why people need to copy someone else's card exactly and I also don't know what "Favoriting" is anyway. But that's another topic.

Patti
Patti - I'm not sure I use "Favoriting" the way it's meant to be used, but when I have time to peruse the gallery (a rare event), if I see a card that I really like something about, I click on "Add To My Favorites" so that it's possible to find later. When I favorite a card, it might mean that I like the color combo, or maybe they used eyelets in an interesting way - something about the card makes me think I will want to look at it again, and the number of cards in my favorites file is a lot fewer than the number in the whole gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #76  
Die Cut Diva

not to hi-jack the thread but I hardly have any favorites. I rarely go to galleries and usually the cards I like are also seen on blogs I read, so I don't feel the need to save them.

I know when I first joined I favorited some, but then I went through and deleted 90% of them. Now I'm off to clean house again as I haven't been into them in about 6 months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post

I don't have a gallery, but that's my choice. I at times will look at a few cards in whatever gallery comes up first or if a post has a link, I will look at a few cards in that link. I have only commented about 3-4 times. I don't consider it a comment if I were to only put 1, 2 or 3 words. To me a comment is several sentences so I can get my point across.

I prefer to just look at the cards and don't feel I really need to comment. I'm not trying to be rude, but I also never thought it was necessary to give a comment unless I saw something that REALLY caught my interest. Most cards are very nice, but how can I leave a comment about that?

I also find that many of the cards in the galleries are not very clear. Many are very dark and unable to see the detail in them. I'd rather leave a comment about that so that the poster may have the ability to make the picture clearer/brighter or whatever is necessary.

Isn't the point of the gallery so that people can show cards they make because they love the craft? If that's the reason, then it requires no comment.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #77  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Quote:

I was reading along and agreeing, then laughed when you mentioned me.

I KNOW I will get way more comments if I play in a comment thread. But I don't want to do that to get comments. I'm a free spirit, I comment when I feel like it. ;)

Sometimes I do the slide show and make no comments. Sometimes I favorite a card really quick because I want to remember one little thing - would I ever comment that I only liked the corner punch but not the rest of the card? LOL Of course not!!! So - like you MSBetsy, my comments are spontaneous. And usually made late at night when the system isn't so slow.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #78  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Quote:

One of the hardest aspects of message boards is learning not to take things so personally. Generally, comments aren't slamming the original post so much as they are stating a different opinion. Doing so certainly does not imply anger or disgust towards the poster, yet so many people take it that way. If you say you like asparagus, and I come back with, "ooh, yuck!," very few people would assume I was thinking you were a nitwit or worse for liking it, lol.

Extreme example, but not so far off the subject, really. If one person wants to do or act a certain way, say by commenting if favoriting, wonderful. But even to suggest that other people do that is not fair. Please note I'm not saying horrible, lol. But, in any example, when you suggest someone do something other than what they are doing, you are saying "my way is better/nicer than yours." Nothing wrong with putting forward what "I" do in a situation. If someone sees that and thinks, "cool! Maybe I'll try doing that, too!," then so be it. If they don't, again, so be it.

People will always have different opinions. Discussion boards would be meaningless if everybody felt the same...
Have you ever considered volunteering for a job with the diplomatic corps?

;)

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2008, 05:53 PM   #79  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnekView Post
I hear ya & agree.

I also agree though that this topic is getting old & a bit annoying to discuss at nauseum. There shouldn't be pressure to comment on a card that you favorite - or even just view. I love that people share their work with all of us & I do appreciate it - but honestly, I don't have time to comment on every card I favorite (or view). I consider favoriting a form of a compliment.

Can we please give this topic a rest? Please!?! There's never going to be a consensus about it, so can't we all agree to agree or agree to disagree?

Anne
There are a lot of new people joining all the time and I'm sure they would enjoy reading about the topics that may have been discussed "ad nauseam" to some older members. There are always new perspectives on a topic and I see nothing wrong with revisiting an issue again. If you wish not to participate or read that is your choice simply skip it. I have been in other threads where helpful members have kindly researched the issue and provided links to other threads about the same topic. Keep the posts positive
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2008, 04:35 PM   #80  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindy501View Post
There are a lot of new people joining all the time and I'm sure they would enjoy reading about the topics that may have been discussed "ad nauseam" to some older members. There are always new perspectives on a topic and I see nothing wrong with revisiting an issue again. If you wish not to participate or read that is your choice simply skip it. I have been in other threads where helpful members have kindly researched the issue and provided links to other threads about the same topic. Keep the posts positive
Very well said!
Reply With Quote Likes