Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #161  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SU UM prices

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenMarieView Post
Here's what a demo told me:

"one set is listed at $17.95 for wood mounted and $13.95 for cling
Another $26.95 wood and $18.95 cling
Another $19.94 wood and $14.95 cling"
So that's only 30% or less off. Not worth it to me. I think they are going to have to do better than that to get me back to wanting their stamps.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #162  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Storage for UM Stamps-just my opinion

Found a perfect solution for me - thought I'd share.

I'm very "Out of Sight, Out of Mind" oriented.
CD cases were awkward to transport, cracked, bulky - took 7 to store one of my MaVinci Alphabets!
IMHO CTMH envy's weren't big enough either.
My stamps were falling off the storage boards and getting misplaced even though in a zippered 3-ring notebook.

I found www.storemorestamps.com that had a system I absolutely LOVE!
I bought a large set, and now I can see ALL my unmounteds at a glance! Organized by category/subject.

I also took the storage boards that I had, and put them in similar but larger sleeves - just had to trim off 1/4 inch! Works GREAT for that MaVinci set!

Maybe Stampin Up will come around to actually printing the image on the cling side.

I'm SO looking forward to browsing a new catalogue! SU has by far the best artwork, selection, and larger stamps.

Amy C in TN

I'm SO HAPPY with it. I have them in a basket on my table, but they easily fit in a tote. I can just take the sets I want to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #163  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BettyView Post
So that's only 30% or less off. Not worth it to me. I think they are going to have to do better than that to get me back to wanting their stamps.
I think 30% is a pretty good deal. It will add up quickly - I look at it this way, if I can buy $100 worth of stamps and only spend $70, then its a good deal.

Work in progress - 27lbs gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #164  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BettyView Post
I think 30% off is a good deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #165  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I agree 25% to 30% off the SU Stamps is a good deal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #166  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I'm happy with 25-30%. Companies that offer both mounted and um and sell the um at half the price are usually offering plain rubber. I don't like plain rubber (I know some do) so even if I bought those I'd still have to buy ezmount. Plus I've quit buying those because I hate trimming them-the SU ones will be die cut. Not everyone is going to be happy I guess but I am. :mrgreen:
Wow! Excellent point! I was planning on getting the UM's anyway, even though I was a little bummed that they weren't a little cheaper. You've made me realize it really is a pretty good deal. Thanks!

I want to buy everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #167  
Glitter Guru

Default yes off topic but want to reach wakegrrl

meluvstampin please excuse my getting of topic as I tried to pm wakergrrl however she is not set up for pm's I wanted to extend the same apology to her....

wakegrrl I am sorry I came across as attacking I as clearly stated I was not attacking and I posted how I interpreted her post so that you could clarify and/or clear any misinterpretation from your posts. Did you continue to read we were all united.... that is not a comment of attacking anyone new. I was offering alternate perception to the issues. Please accept my humblest apology for posting comments that lead to your ill feelings.
I am posting this message to you as a pm as to keep on topic on that thread...

L to the O to the L! ...was that you "telling me off" ? LMAO! LMAO!
I am not disgruntled, and have nothing against the SU products, I have no relation to their company and never have. and I guess if you dont think your "controlled" then that is your right to feel that way. As it is my right to feel and state that your signing your demo agreement controls you. Its just an opinion. But to see someone act like they would get sued by Shellie Gardner personally because she "leaked" something that was new and exciting prematurely -- that's ridiculous. AGAIN my opinion. LOL! What misinformation did I post? what allegation did I post? what untruth did I tell? LMAO! LMAO! LMAO!

and no I would not tell you off that is not my place nor do I feel you need to be told off.

the misinformation I was speaking of was "SU's insecurities of competition" that may be your opinion and not fact as that has not been posted by SU in any form. Just like we do not like to be told what we are doing and thinking, it is unfair to do this to a corporation.

welcome to SCS, and happy stamping!

Holly

Last edited by pinkprincess; 11-18-2009 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: added color
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #168  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy HeartView Post
I don't think the Ink pads are fine! They sink in the middle so that it's almost impossible to get good ink coverage on a stamps unless it's small.
There are two things you can do about this.
1. Vary what part of the ink pad you use especially with small stamps ie. Don't always use the middle.
2. I tap my stamps on the pad about 5 times and I rotate the stamp slightly with each tap. With a large stamp, I slide it back and forth across the pad first, then tap. Works every time.

I know this is a pain but to me it is well worth the effort for the other advantages of the pad.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #169  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

30% off is excellent. You are getting storage and the IMAGE on the back of the stamp.

This is a completely different product than most unmounted stamps on ez foam. I have unmounted stamps like these from Hero Arts with the image on the cling and it is SO MUCH easier to stamp when you can see the image. (Clear is still my first love, but that's another story....)

Plus, when you spend 30% less, your taxes and shipping are going to be less, so the end price is more than 30% off (unless I'm doing the math wrong...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #170  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Exclamation

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakegrrlView Post
such good news! ITS about freaking time! MY DEMO acted like GOD would SMITE her for saying anything about it to me -- when I overheard her talking abt the new punches that are also coming out (see EK TOOLS - slim punches they are like that only pastel) fOR anyone who is wanting to cling -- it is the WAY TO GO! I strongly urge you to get cling mount foam and get unmounting ALL SU stamps. Storage is WAY better -- and easier to use the stamps -- because they can be ALL at your finger tips -- instead of in a cabinet, bin, box, etc etc. Store them in either clear CD or DVD cases or even on thick transparency film in 3 ring binders.
You have to be careful about storing your EZ mounted stamps on sheets not specifically meant for stamp storage. I have read that acetate is NOT appropriate for stamp storage as it degrades the EZ mount over time. My understanding is that all transparencies are made of acetate. Be careful!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #171  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Oh, BTW, I am thrilled to see UM stamps! I have unmounted almost all of my SU! stamps and I too store mine on storage panels in three ring, ZIPPERED binders and this system works fairly well. I've only left the '...Phrases' sets, alphabets and stamps my kiddo uses mounted. I unmounted my background stamps too but I don't use an acrylic block. I just place the stamp face up on my desk, put the paper on it and use a brayer to apply pressure. Works great and I don't need an expensive acrylic block!I wish the price was a bit better but 30% less seems fair. I am glad they are sticking with rubber!!

I'm curious about large stamp sets. Is the DVD case large enough to store stamps on both sides of the box? Otherwise some large stamp sets won't fit right? Maybe two cases would be needed?

Last edited by Rebecca Ednie; 11-18-2009 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #172  
Hardware Hotshot

I LOVE wood mounted and never plan to take my SU off the wood. Too much time, energy & money for me. Unmounting them would drive me crazy! That said, all my future purchases with SU may be unmounted because I think I'll want to save that $5.00/6.00. I can see some new sets in my future and I'm quite sure they will be unmounted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #173  
Glitter Queen

I just received the Weekly Inking and I saw that SU was going unmounted/cling, imagine my excitement. I started this thread from the first day up until now. I must say that the past day or so it was getting depressing with all the fingerpointing. Thanks for ruining my excitement. I wish I would have quit reading when I heard the news.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #174  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinfulView Post
I just received the Weekly Inking and I saw that SU was going unmounted/cling, imagine my excitement. I started this thread from the first day up until now. I must say that the past day or so it was getting depressing with all the fingerpointing. Thanks for ruining my excitement. I wish I would have quit reading when I heard the news.
Cinful...there are still plenty of people who are excited about this. So don't feel bad, there are a bunch of us right there with you. (And I don't even think I'll get much unmounted but I'm still excited to try some and that my customers will now have a choice!) There can be a lot of negativity in any of these forums, try not to let it get to you, just focus on the good stuff. All of these posts have been getting me down too but I decided I'm not going to let them! Someone is always going to be unhappy no matter what goes on. I hope you can still be excited and just ignore all the negativity:-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #175  
Mad Swapper

I haven't been here (on SCS) for a while, and am excited to hear about these changes. I do have to admit that I wish SU would offer a 'trade-in' policy. I love the slim punches and would love to have my current punches in that style. As for the UM, I used to prefer wood mounted when it came to rubber stamps, but have since gotten used to it through the use of other companies. I'm most interested to see their storage for these.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #176  
Inking Addict

Wonder how long it will take for all this to happen with SU in New Zealand and Australia?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #177  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I LOVE wood mounted and never plan to take my SU off the wood. Too much time, energy & money for me. Unmounting them would drive me crazy! That said, all my future purchases with SU may be unmounted because I think I'll want to save that $5.00/6.00. I can see some new sets in my future and I'm quite sure they will be unmounted!
I prefer unmounted, but also never plan to unmount my SU! that's already mounted. Just 'cause I'm lazy. BUT if someone would come over and unmount them all FOR me, that's different! (any takers? lol)

I'm glad about the 30% cheaper price. If SU! offered the same set in unmounted AND mounted for the same price, I'd still choose the unmounted set, even if it's the same price and not cheaper. Actually, since space is important for me (not really as in home storage, but more in travel storage, like when I pack to go to a fellow stamper's house), I would actually be willing to pay MORE for an unmounted set than I would for the same set wood-mounted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 10:02 AM   #178  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

btt

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #179  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy HeartView Post
I don't think the Ink pads are fine! They sink in the middle so that it's almost impossible to get good ink coverage on a stamps unless it's small.
Someone else may have already posted this (I haven't read it all - so sorry if it is a repeat) but as far as I know it isn't that the middle sinks, it's that the corners begin to come up when the ink pad begins to get dry (needs reinking), making the center look as though it has sunk. Try reinking all around the edges and see if that "flattens" your pad back out. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #180  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappintlcView Post
Lonnnnnnng past due.......seems like they are not keeping up with the times very well and now have seen themselves lagging behind. Layoffs, new IDA to get their consultant count down.

25% off doesn't seem like much of a "discount" if you will off the wood price.

Also I like the one posters idea of envelopes like CTMH. I am a cons and I love those envelopes...so easy to store and haul with you cropping, to wokrshops, home parties etc.
Confused...I don't see what layoffs have to do with not keeping up with the times - that was a very sad time for a lot of people. I'm perfectly happy (read thrilled) with the 25% off - the rubber & foam are no different so to me just taking the price of the wood blocks off accounts for that price easily.

SU! has stated and re-stated that they would not make a change until they knew the could keep the same quality and they have identified photopolymer or acrylic stamps as a product that is inferior in quality. Obviously I can't wait until I have these in my hands, but as another poster said, the envelopes wouldn't be wide enough to accommodate the larger height of the rubber. I'm glad about the DVD cases because I like something sturdy to keep my stamps in - glad however about the smaller size from the clamshells.

I can't wait until I get to have these guys in my hands - I only have experience with wood-mounted and photopolymer stamps so I'm excited to try these!!! Thanks to all of you for sharing your positive experiences with the clear mounted (RUBBER - yeah!!!) stamps! It makes me even more excited and I thought that wasn't possible!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #181  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekip2View Post
This has NOT been my experience at all. I mostly use SU! ink (BTW I"m not a demo) and I USED to have beading until someone told me to "condition" my clear stamps by either rubbing an eraser over it or stamping and cleaning it a few times.

HTH someone - cuz I sure was glad to find a solution -

Andrea
I also noticed that my SU! inks work GREAT with photopolymer but not the cheaper acrylic stamps so that is also a difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 10:58 AM   #182  
Polyshrink Goddess

Super happy camper here!!! Thank you SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #183  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakegrrlView Post
I am not disgruntled, and have nothing against the SU products, I have no relation to their company and never have. and I guess if you dont think your "controlled" then that is your right to feel that way. As it is my right to feel and state that your signing your demo agreement controls you. Its just an opinion. But to see someone act like they would get sued by Shellie Gardner personally because she "leaked" something that was new and exciting prematurely -- that's ridiculous. AGAIN my opinion. LOL! What misinformation did I post? what allegation did I post? what untruth did I tell? LMAO! LMAO! LMAO!
I don't know that I've ever heard Shelli say that she would sue anyone - it is just something the company asks us to do. Every company has their policies and this is one of ours. For example at my job, I can't get on facebook and to do so would be to break a policy. Are they going to sue me over it? No, but I certainly want to honor the wishes of the company I work for and be a good employee. Same thing with SU! - customers are anticipating getting to see it, we're anticipating getting to order from it...everyone's in anticipation mode and it is so so exciting!!!

I respect your opinion but you have to realize that using language like "control" upsets people. Especially several of us demos who have seen recent things like the IDA get all thrown out of perspective or even outrageous rumors - oftentimes not even by demonstrators who have direct access to the information. I think that's why people are upset about it - not because you expressed your opinion but the way in which you did it. As that poster said, we wouldn't work for a company we didn't believe in and anytime someone uses inflammatory language about something you believe in just naturally upsets you. Again, thank you for your opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #184  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry about my million posts in a row (so this would be a million and one) but someone on the demo threads mentioned this thread talking about the unmounted option. I'm so so glad I came over here (sometimes I'm kind of afraid of the general forums b/c I've seen a lot of flaming) to get your opinions, ideas, video links (going to watch those right after I post this), etc. As I said earlier I've never had rubber unmounted but am so so excited - thanks for fueling that excitment!!!

As for the people discussing prices, it was so so nice to go through the mini and realize that EVERY set I wanted was under $20 unmounted!!! I also LOVED the person who mentioned it cutting down on both tax and shipping!!! (I am also way excited about space saving).

I'm not sure I'm going there yet but for those of you who unmount your SU! sets, how do you do it? (Especially if they're already mounted like all of mine! How great would it be to have my alphas unmounted - I think I'd use them way more for sure!!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #185  
Stazon Splitcoast

there are a lot of threads on how to unmount.

There are downsides to this type of stamp. You have to take it out of the container and put it on the block, use it, take it off and clean it and put it back. it is a couple of extra steps. It isn't worth it for some stampers who love the "grab and go" abilities of wood mounted. but, for others, it is great.

And you have to buy the blocks (if you are new to this, you don't want blocks that are too big as the ink will get on the edges of the block). I have amassed a huge collection of blocks! clean them with rubbing alcohol. Makes cleaning a breeze.

the quality of blocks differs. of course, I have no way of knowing what SU's will be like, but I suspect that they will be excellent. you want blocks that are truly clear and comfortable to hold -- some are the type that you look through and it distorts the image. (My favorite have grid lines on them or are from CTMH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #186  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
there are a lot of threads on how to unmount.

There are downsides to this type of stamp. You have to take it out of the container and put it on the block, use it, take it off and clean it and put it back. it is a couple of extra steps. It isn't worth it for some stampers who love the "grab and go" abilities of wood mounted. but, for others, it is great.

And you have to buy the blocks (if you are new to this, you don't want blocks that are too big as the ink will get on the edges of the block). I have amassed a huge collection of blocks! clean them with rubbing alcohol. Makes cleaning a breeze.

the quality of blocks differs. of course, I have no way of knowing what SU's will be like, but I suspect that they will be excellent. you want blocks that are truly clear and comfortable to hold -- some are the type that you look through and it distorts the image. (My favorite have grid lines on them or are from CTMH).
I'll go look for those threads. I understand the pros and cons of unmounting but for me I think I'll love unmounted for the space saving alone! I'm THRILLED about SU!'s block offerings and will be buying those for sure although I already have a few. I hate the gridlines because they make me dizzy when I look through them - causes that distortion you're talking about for me so to each her own I guess!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #187  
Mad Swapper

I was a demo until this quarter, but they still sent me the most recent Stampin' Success and the included 'enclosures' (i.e. a mini!) I'll just say...I wish I was still a demo so I could get the instant income! I saw LOTS I'm going to be getting...especially w/ the unmounted option!!! The cases look quite nice...and the fact that the 'indexing' is all taken care of is a HUGE bonus in my book!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #188  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have also seen the mini and agree that the storage, with the indexing is awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #189  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkprincessView Post
meluvstampin please excuse my getting of topic as I tried to pm wakergrrl however she is not set up for pm's I wanted to extend the same apology to her....

wakegrrl I am sorry I came across as attacking I as clearly stated I was not attacking and I posted how I interpreted her post so that you could clarify and/or clear any misinterpretation from your posts. Did you continue to read we were all united.... that is not a comment of attacking anyone new. I was offering alternate perception to the issues. Please accept my humblest apology for posting comments that lead to your ill feelings.
I am posting this message to you as a pm as to keep on topic on that thread...

and no I would not tell you off that is not my place nor do I feel you need to be told off.

the misinformation I was speaking of was "SU's insecurities of competition" that may be your opinion and not fact as that has not been posted by SU in any form. Just like we do not like to be told what we are doing and thinking, it is unfair to do this to a corporation.

welcome to SCS, and happy stamping!

Holly
We are good Holly. I will always consider you my SCS friend and I hope you can do the same.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #190  
Glitter Queen

OK, call me stupid, but I've always used the wood-mounted stamps and am just getting into the clear ones. So my question is, how do you take the SU rubber stamps off the wood....just pull them off? Also, do you then use them on the acrylic blocks? If that's the case, I am going to have a TON of new storage space!! Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 05:57 PM   #191  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teresa06View Post
OK, call me stupid, but I've always used the wood-mounted stamps and am just getting into the clear ones. So my question is, how do you take the SU rubber stamps off the wood....just pull them off? Also, do you then use them on the acrylic blocks? If that's the case, I am going to have a TON of new storage space!! Thanks for your help.
Yes, you can pull them off. BUT carefully and sometimes you need to pop them in the microwave for a few to soften up the adhesive. You use them on the acrylic blocks but you need some sort of temporary adhesive...I'm sure the great ladies here know exactly what you need!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #192  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by meluvstampinView Post
We are good Holly. I will always consider you my SCS friend and I hope you can do the same.
Thankyou, of course I consider you my SCS friend.

Now on the topic of unmounting the wood my bff said there are people interested in the blocks. Is this true? and what does one do with extra blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #193  
Insane Embellisher

What's IDA?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #194  
Glitter Guru

Independent Demonstrator Agreement. (for SU! demos)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 08:11 PM   #195  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkprincessView Post
Thankyou, of course I consider you my SCS friend.

Now on the topic of unmounting the wood my bff said there are people interested in the blocks. Is this true? and what does one do with extra blocks.
some keep to alter
some donate to pre schools for "building blocks"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #196  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
some keep to alter
some donate to pre schools for "building blocks"
donate to preschool for blocks, now I am definitely gonna unmount!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #197  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

some even stamp the alphabet on them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #198  
Glitter Guru

sorry double post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2009, 03:29 AM   #199  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I must say - I saw the new occasions mini and the SAB brochure.
I am impressed. There are a few must-have for me. More than in the last 2 years.

I think that the changes that SU has made will really benefit them and the demos with sales. That is a good thing in these times.
For once - I am actually excited for SAB!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2009, 03:41 AM   #200  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh, I'm jealous. I have my monthy card workshop tonight...maybe I'll get a look at what's coming out. This has to be the biggest SU news in a long time!
Reply With Quote Likes