Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am subscribing hoping for an answer.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #42  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyestitchView Post
I want to use glitter. I have a bunch I got at a garage sale, but my success at getting it to stick where I want it is hopeless. If I use only versa mark (with embossing buddy) I get the glitter where I want, but it doesn't stick very well. If I use embossing buddy, versa mark, heat and stick (slightly heated as directions say) I get glitter on the versa mark plus a light layer on the entire piece of cardstock.

How do I get the glitter to just stick where I want it?

So far I have only used a product called "Embossing Powder Tinselette." I want to buy some dazzling diamonds and other SU glitters, but there is no point until I figure this out.

Please help - Anybody?!
Versamark will not attach glitter to your project. It is used for embossing powders and those will stick to anything moist and then you heat emboss and melt them onto the cardstock.
There is such a thing as a glue pad, which I have not yet tried myself, with which you can stamp your image and then pour on the glitter (I assume it only works with fine glitter).
Heat and Stick powder is a good choice for a stamped image. Just make sure you put the lid back on your Versamark and close the heat and Stick powder jar before you open your glitter jar. Also shake off the excess glitter (back into the jar and replace the lid) before you turn on the heat gun. This will reduce some of the flying glitter.
To apply glitter to small areas here and there, I just use StampinUp's 2 way glue. Works great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #43  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I want to use glitter. I have a bunch I got at a garage sale, but my success at getting it to stick where I want it is hopeless. If I use only versa mark (with embossing buddy) I get the glitter where I want, but it doesn't stick very well. If I use embossing buddy, versa mark, heat and stick (slightly heated as directions say) I get glitter on the versa mark plus a light layer on the entire piece of cardstock.

So far I have only used a product called "Embossing Powder Tinselette." I want to buy some dazzling diamonds and other SU glitters, but there is no point until I figure this out.

Please help - Anybody?!
Eyestitch-- When I first started stamping, I ended up at the Heritage Arts convention where I bought a bunch of glue pens. Literally, they're ball point pens with glue in them. And I LOVE them! Only way to use glitter! If you're near an Archivers, I KNOW they sell them, but also try looking in JoAnn's or Michael's or Hobby Lobby. And don't look just with the adhesives. Try in with the glitter and embossing supplies as that's where I found my VersaMark pen. I know a few times when I'm wandering around Michael's or JoAnn's I see something and think to myself, "Now why would they put that there?"

Anyway, hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #44  
Crimping Master

I think Stickles is for those who have patience! I have some stickles and use it from time to time, but I too always end up with it on something else. Usually I end up with it on some other paper and always my finger when checking to see if it is dry! LOL.

I do embrace the glitter when I use it. I don't use bling/sparkels all the time - I am more of a brad girl. When I do use glitter or EP I always have a piece of scrap paper undernealth that was alreay foldered before so it goes back into the bottle. I do have a Glitter Clean up Cloth and it works great for the little pieces on the work surface. I too use the glue pen when needing little bits or a thin line. I used a glue pen on Misty Flower Swirl. I have also used a glue stamp pad on Damask Soft Sky Glitter and it worked really well. The glue stamp pad also works well for foil.

I must say glitter is a great conversation starter. Always is fun when the young males get it on their face - some interesting conversation have started!

Last edited by ink|outside|the|box; 03-04-2009 at 11:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #45  
Cardstock Collector

I rarely use glitter because it is such a mess. When I do, I use a lint roller
to clean up. This really helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 12:06 PM   #46  
Kookie Creator

I will have to look for glue pads and glue pens.

Thank you ladies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #47  
Stampin' Fool

My favorite for applying glitter is (1) 2-way glue pen (which SU! sells) and (2) Crystal Effects, which is also an SU! product, but which is thicker (you use it like a bottle of glue, with a very tiny opening in the top for good control). It does take longer to dry, but it also gives some dimension.

P.S. I've used Crystal Effects to fix a lot of things in my house. I have a closet door that used to constantly come off its hinges (bi-fold door). I took it apart, put Crystal Effects in the hole where the screws go, and that puppy has been fine for over three years!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #48  
Cardstock Collector

I'm the same as the others, I like the glitter, but not the mess; I have found
a solution to that. Sakura gelly roll STARDUST clear pens. They are clean
and give beautiful results.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #49  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 854 Likes on 281 Posts

Oh yeah, Crystal Effects is awesome for repairs. I used it an angel figurine I've had for a decade or more that I have repeatedly used super-glue on (and it inevitably came apart again) and my angel hasn't come back apart since. Crystal Effects kick super-glue's butt!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

I just had to add my story. I have a SIL (son, not sister) that hates glitter and refused to help my DD sign Christmas cards because they had glitter. So I made a card with black, white & red scrollies on the front that said "Thinking of You". When you opened it, I had a super glittery flower with "and hoping your day just sparkled". I guess when she came home from work he had it laying on the table on a paper towel. She said it was all she could do not to compliment him on his glittery eyebrows. I know, MEAN, but the devil made me do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #51  
Inking Addict

Love a touch of glitter but hate the mess, so I use Stickles and let it dry overnight - patience is a virtue (hee, hee). But I'm really getting to think I like the tiny (.2mm) self-adhesive crystals just as well for a spot of sparkle. They come in lots of colors and are inexpensive.
And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus... Col. 3:17
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #52  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Glitter vs. Stickles vs. Iridicent Ice...

I love Stickles for a bit of glitz -- but always apply it by squeezing some on a piece of scrap paper and using a teeny-tiny tipped paintbrush. It dries almost immediately and it's almost impossible to glob on too much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #53  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgs37View Post
I love Stickles for a bit of glitz -- but always apply it by squeezing some on a piece of scrap paper and using a teeny-tiny tipped paintbrush. It dries almost immediately and it's almost impossible to glob on too much!
Great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #54  
Insane Embellisher

My favorite glitter is . . . surprise . . . SU Dazzling Diamonds. As a matter of fact I have 3 bottles dumped into an old Tupperware container which is flat. I use my Quickie Glue Pen a lot with this glitter by just drawing a line here and there. I also love to use it when I triple clear emboss a piece and drizzle some on the last layer. Another favorite is Arte Institutes pastel glitters. I don't use a lot of it. My funniest story is my friend came over to help me with a project for the military. We made 200 cards with glitter on them. She is an African American which is why this story has so much glitz. She had never worked with glitter and I had to send her outside to shake off all of the glitter on her clothes and then sent her into the bathroom to carefully wash it off of her face. She went out to dinner that night with friends and that girl glistened! It was everywhere on her body and big time in her hair. I've never seen anyone so full of glitter before! We had a WONDERFUL time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #55  
Kookie Creator

Love this thread. I also have a love hate relationship with glitter. I like stickles but since I'm a SU demo I can't use them for a lot of projects. So, I made my own. I got the idea on here but took an old paint bottle that looks like a stickles bottle, I added crystal effects and dazzling diamonds and shook it up. Voila! SU stickles! I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #56  
Gallery Gazer

For me glitter RULES!!! And dazzling diamonds is my fav..........i keep a bunch in a plastic container, which to me is the least messy. I have a ton of stickles, and for some things it is ok, but I find it changes color depending on the ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 05:00 PM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

Why dont you buy a little glitter tray. It helps keep the pesky stuff under control!

Regards,

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnysnowflakeView Post
I love the sparkle and shine of SU!'s Dazzling Diamonds especially but all glitter is wonderful. But...It makes such a mess! I have made7 cards today and only 1 had glitter but everything is covered.

I may have to give it up all together. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #58  
Mad Swapper

Smile

I, too, love sparkle on my projects and have troubles with the mess-factor with glitter and the drying time & control issues with the Stickles applicator. My solution of choice is Shimmerz. They can be applied on top of SU inks or Copic markers, can be mixed with SU re-inkers to make your own custom colors, and dry very quickly.
I'm Fun Stampers Journey Coach #10224. Join now for only $50!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #59  
Glitter Queen

Is that the set of 6 or so little containers that come in different colors?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #60  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellpoleView Post
Why dont you buy a little glitter tray. It helps keep the pesky stuff under control!

Regards,
I have a blue tray and I use a Ziplock container but the stuff sticks to the card itself and when I try to tap it off it floats in the air. If I blow it off it gets in my eyes. Even with the buddy thing. It just gets everywhere. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #61  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampingSpudView Post
I, too, love sparkle on my projects and have troubles with the mess-factor with glitter and the drying time & control issues with the Stickles applicator. My solution of choice is Shimmerz. They can be applied on top of SU inks or Copic markers, can be mixed with SU re-inkers to make your own custom colors, and dry very quickly.
Those look super cool! Where do you purchase them from?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #62  
Stampin' Fool

Default this is PRICELESS!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula in GAView Post
I just had to add my story. I have a SIL (son, not sister) that hates glitter and refused to help my DD sign Christmas cards because they had glitter. So I made a card with black, white & red scrollies on the front that said "Thinking of You". When you opened it, I had a super glittery flower with "and hoping your day just sparkled". I guess when she came home from work he had it laying on the table on a paper towel. She said it was all she could do not to compliment him on his glittery eyebrows. I know, MEAN, but the devil made me do it.
Oh Paula, I have been laughing HARD and out loud for the past 10 min. Laughter is the best medicine and I feel much better than I did before I read your story. You really *got him good*! Thanks so much for sharing!

I use the glue pen for small areas - thanx to SCS. For larger areas, I use a small paint brush and Diamond Glaze which is same as Crystal Effects. I have a cup of tepid water with dish soap added to plunk my brush into as soon as I'm finished *painting* on the DG. If allowed to dry, the bristles would be hard as a rock and no washing out. May God bless, Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #63  
Embossing Fanatic

Post Glittery Squirrels?

Glitter can be compared to squirrels. Yes, squirrels. You either love 'em or hate 'em. Personally, I think you can never have enough of either one! And, both are loved by a bunch of crafty nuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #64  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I love my stickles but it's a "mess magnet" I...just... can't... keep... from ....touching....it....while....I....wait....for... .it... to..................dry!!!!

My Dazling Diamonds is a much quicker fix:

I use a flat bottomed coffee filter to shake it in. DD doesn't stick to the filter and it's the perfect receptacle for the sparkly goodness to rest in while I work, then I funnel it back to the tub... and YES, I still have a touch of glitter on my eyelashes...so be it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #65  
Matboard Maniac

I occasionally use stickles with a SU dauber. Just squirt a little on a sheet of the leftover zyron paper that is a little like wax paper. Then daub some on my cardstock. Makes a pretty even coat of glitter or pearl look if you use the pearl stickles. If paper curls, I just lay it with stickles against the zyron paper and weight it flat until it dries. This works if you want overall coverage. I just mask anywhere I don't want the glitter. I like the look and it rinses out of the dauber with a little soap, so you can use different colors with the same dauber. I don't end up with any on me or my work area. Hope this works for someone. If I want just a small area of glitter, I squirt a little on throw-away paper and then use a small swizzle stick to apply it to my card. Seems to give more control for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #66  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Love/hate glitter

Glitter away, then do what I do, I have a stamp that says" I Know I Have Glitter On My Face" LOL:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 02:21 AM   #67  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Stickles - glitter glue with really fine glitter.
Lots of great colors to "collect," too. Although I do use it! Really.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 04:14 AM   #68  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Please help - Anybody?!
Eyestitch--Versmark is not made to be used with glitter. If you are using embossing powder with your Versamark, then you need to use a heat gun to melt the powder. There is no need to use both Versamark and heat and stick when you are using embossing powder. Since the embossing powder you are using contains glitter, you may want to heat your project from the back. That way your heat gun will not blow the glitter out of your embossing powder and onto the rest of your poject.

I posted the method I use in post #34 of this post. Using the method I use, you will have very little if any excess glitter anywhere else on your card and clean up is a breeze.

I must be the only person that uses this method since no one else has commented on it. For those of you who haven't tried the method I use, I highly recommend it. It creates a lot less mess and uses very little glitter.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 04:42 AM   #69  
Polyshrink Goddess

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even with the Embossing Buddy, my glitter sticks to the tray. I use the little
Rubbermaid containers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 05:50 AM   #70  
Kookie Creator

Since the embossing powder you are using contains glitter, you may want to heat your project from the back. That way your heat gun will not blow the glitter out of your embossing powder and onto the rest of your poject.

Ladybug, I will try heating from the back. I think I will also try heating the heat and stick powder from the back, since I suspect that the film of gltter is because the embossing buddy dust gets blown off when I heat the heat and stick powder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 06:28 AM   #71  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Portable Glitter Bowl

I love loose glitter and also hate the mess.
SO my solution is to use a coffee filter. I didn't want to spend the extra money on a plastic tray thing. I am an instructor and the coffee filter - also called "portable glitter bowls" is a cheap, efficient way to keep the glitter contained. The coffee filter is anti-static so the glitter won't stick to it, it just runs back into the container.
The other thing I use is a Pledge Grab It or other type of dusting cloth. This picks up the glitter off of the desk, me, my shoes....

IMO the BEST Glue pen is the Quickie Glue Pen made by Sakura. They are between $2-$3 and is worth every penny. I also use the Essential Glue Pad from Tsukineko. DeNami Design glitter is awesome, very fine & detailed.... lots of new colors too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #72  
Cardstock Collector

I use my heat gun to dry the Stickles. I hardly ever stamp without a sparkle!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #73  
Crimping Master

My eight year old grand-daughter was visiting this last weekend and she loves glitter. Well today before I left for work I ran up to stamp happy birthday on my bosses birthday card and I am wearing black. I have glitter on my face on my arms and all over my black blouse. I didn't use glitter, it is just all over from Madeline useing it. She did have fun though. She is the next generation to stamp so I am happy to let her use it all. (Within reason)
Lois
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 01:13 PM   #74  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirlView Post
What she said!

I, my DH, my three sons, and our entire house is covered in glitter. I don't mind at all, and all my boys have just come to accept it as part of life.
I agree!!! I just tell everyone that it is a symbol of my happiness/sparkliness!!! EMBRACE the sparkle!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #75  
Embossing Fanatic

Smile

Quote:

Please help - Anybody?!

I love the heat and stick powder. I have had less trouble with glitter sticking elsewhere on the card since I started to use it. I have to have all the glitter colors when the new ones come out, and I don't care if I wear glitter to work! If people comment on my glitter, I just tell them it is my sparkeling personality shining through!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #76  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainy Day StamperView Post
My eight year old grand-daughter was visiting this last weekend and she loves glitter. Well today before I left for work I ran up to stamp happy birthday on my bosses birthday card and I am wearing black. I have glitter on my face on my arms and all over my black blouse. I didn't use glitter, it is just all over from Madeline useing it. She did have fun though. She is the next generation to stamp so I am happy to let her use it all. (Within reason)
Lois
When my 5 yr old grand daughter comes to visit, she runs to get her stamping box. She has a total collection of her own stamps at my house and she loves to make cards for everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #77  
Kookie Creator

Wink military cards and glitter

For ShariW and others who make cards for the military, please don't use glitter on cards going to throops in combat areas. Many groups that forward these to combat units advise againt the use of glitter on military mail. Just as we transfer glitter on our clothes and skin, soldiers do the same. We want our throops to remain safe and they will enjoy our cards just as much without the sparkle. Cards going to military hospitals or any hospital should remain glitter free also. Sorry to be a party poop, but we all want to keep our guys and gals safe until they come home. My friends and I stamp several hundred cards a year for overseas and the V.A. and that advise was given to us.

dr.fine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #78  
Glitter Queen

Last edited by serenityacacia; 03-07-2009 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #79  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladybugb919View Post
I don't pour/spoon my glitter onto my projects. I use a glue pen and wait until it has gone from blue to clear and is tacky but not wet. I then dip my finger into the glitter and then rub it into the areas with glue. I keep rubbing until the area is covered (dipping my finger into the glitter again as needed).

This creates very little excess glitter to shake off of the project. Clean up then is just washing my finger to get the extra glitter off.

this is how i glitter too!!! i absolutely love glitter. love it!!i love the glue pens, they make glittering soo much easier and the whole house less sparkly, LOL. i put glitter on everything, and it just doesnt seem complete unless it is sparkly. the glue pens are really great for adding stuff like funflock etc. my lss had a big craft sale awhile ago and their glue pens were on for half-price, so i bought like 15 of them. can never have enough, LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #80  
Rubber Obsessor

For straight lines of glitter such as down edges of cards I use thin double sided tape, the glitter sticks well to the dst and makes for a nice embellishment.

Blog
Reply With Quote Likes