Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-08-2005, 12:51 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate living in an apartment!

I live in an apartment building, so UPS won't leave my packages here and they always come while I'm at work, so it's always days and days extra before I can get them! My demo planner was supposed to be here yesterday and of course it came before I got home, so I called UPS and asked to have it left at Will Call. I went to pick up the packages and they weren't at Will Call - they were on the truck and out for delivery! That means it's going to come again while I'm not home and I'm going to have to go through the whole process again. And tomorrow I have a huge order (including my markers, yay!!) due to arrive and it'll be the same thing. It's hard enough to wait for everything to get here from Utah, but the extra few days added in are just torture!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2005, 01:03 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I was working, I had everything sent to the office. Is that a possibility for you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2005, 01:04 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Have you talked to your UPS delivery guy? Some of them will leave packages for you if you have an agreement or leave them a note releasing the package (of course, this means that they're not responsible if you package gets stolen...)

I have one customer who gets her packages shipped to her work address. Is this an option?
Heather, proud SCS member #132
Gallery
- Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2005, 01:16 PM   #4  
Cupcake Queen

I am also in an apartment and I think it is a UPS conspiracy, because I am a stay at home mom, and my UPS guy never makes it here until after 5 pm -- I swear, just to torture me all day! Some days that UPS is coming, I do not even shower for fear of missing him!

Hugs to you!
Amanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2005, 01:19 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think I'd have to call in sick for an afternoon!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2005, 01:34 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Is there an office at the apartment complex where UPS can leave your orders? (and is it OPEN when you get home from work?)

I was having probs w/UPS leaving orders, and I'd sometimes have to pick them up at the local distribution center.....that was AFTER stalking him on my lunch break! ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Its frustrating, I know. If you can actually catch up with your UPS guy, you can sign a little thing saying you want to have your stuff dropped off at the main office (if you have one)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2005, 02:02 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

How frustrating! Our apartment complex is the opposite. UPS will bring packages to the door and then if you aren't home they take them back down to the office.

The post office doesn't even leave notice in our MAIL BOX when they deliver the mail if we have a package. We asked the office about this and the office said that the postal service has told them they don't have to notify us of packages! I can completely understand them not wanting to walk up to all the apartments to leave notice, but it would be nice for at least an indication it arrived in the mailbox!

Back to topic, but we did have to sign a release to let them accept the packages on our behalf.
James 1:17
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2005, 02:35 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

My UPS guy won't even leave the package if I sign to have him leave it. They are not allowed to leave them in apartments/condos. I've had to go to the distribution center to pick mine up, if I'm not home in time. On the upside, my UPS guy knows that I won't be home until 5pm and I think he tries to make our building his last stop. I'm sure it's a pain for them, too, to have to re-deliver.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2005, 02:37 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've thought about maybe having things shipped to work, but I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing that. I don't know, maybe it would be ok, but I feel like it would be frowned upon.

Unfortunately my apartment building doesn't have a main office. It's a pretty low budget building and we haven't even had a superintendant until recently. And I'd be too afraid to give permission for the packages to be left in the front of the building for fear that my precious stamping supplies would be stolen. I wish I didn't have to think like that, but in the year or so since I've lived here, someone has broken into the laundry machines to steal the quarters, my boyfriend's car has been broken into twice (along with a few other people's cars as well), and people leave nasty notes on your car or block your car in if you park in 'their spot' even when there were no assigned spots. In case you can't tell, I don't exactly live in a building full of friendly people! But it's cheap, so I make do.

But anyway, thanks for listening to me vent! I knew on I could count on you for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2005, 02:42 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Location: I'm a member of the divine secret sister witness protection program!

I too live in an apartment... but I have the wonderful option of shipping to work.... now here's an idea... do you have a good friend or family member that you could ship it to? In times that I don't think it would be wise to send it to work, I ship to my mom's... then I just stop by there on the way home. Another option is I know now you can have packages shiped to the UPS store (fromally Mailboxes, ETC.) you might check to see if you have one around you.
SCS member #16986
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2005, 02:47 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Default I hate living in an apartment

When we lived in an apartment I had my neighbor accept the packages for me and I would accept hers.
I also had a customer that lived in an apartment and went through this trouble too. I offered to have the package sent to me and I would deliver it to her when she got off work. UPS wouldn't leave it for her when she talked to the driver because of possible theft and they didn't want to be held responsible.
Do you have a neighbor that is home during the day that might accept the packages for you? Maybe you could find something you could do for a neighbor in exchange?
UPS makes me wait until late evening to get my packages.....I'm the last drop on his run and he likes to catch my DH home to talk tractors.
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Unfortunately, when I moved to CT, I left most of my family and friends behind. My parents are in MA, so shipping to them would only prolong the wait! And the handful of friends I do have around here also live in apartments. Ahh the joys of striking out on my own with no money!! Of course if I spent less $ on stamps, maybe I'd be able to move out of here someday, but what's the point of having a nice place to live and nothing to stamp with?!

Thanks so much for the tip on shipping to UPS store - I didn't know you could do that. I think the closest one to me is actually farther away than the distribution center my packages always end up at, but I will have to check that out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2005, 03:36 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjc820
I've thought about maybe having things shipped to work, but I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing that. I don't know, maybe it would be ok, but I feel like it would be frowned upon.
What if you did a couple of things -- asked your boss ahead of time, i.e. said that you had some expensive things that had to be shipped to you and you weren't able to have them shipped to your home because it was an apartment etc.

THEN when/if you do have them shipped there, just don't open the box!!!! Put it under your desk so it doesn't disrupt work and then it won't become a problem. That is, if you think it would be uncomfortable sitting there enjoying all your goodies. If your boss comes in and says hey, I want to see all your stampin stuff, then go ahead, LOL but I would ask -- it can't hurt to at least ask (BTW I wouldn't say it was going to be stamp stuff, or that it was going to be an ongoing thing, just be subtle about the whole thing so that it doesn't disrupt work)

I know what you mean about the apt -- I had a Nordic Track shipped to me and had to go pick up at the UPS!!! That was a lot of fun fitting into a sedan, LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2005, 03:56 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I wonder if this is something that could be addressed with SU? Are they aware of how hard it is to get a package from UPS when you live in an apartment?

I currently live in an apartment and have an agreement with the UPS driver. He left me a pad of notes (the kind you have to sign to have a package left) and I put one out when I know a package is coming. The only reason they agreed to this is because picking it up at the distribution center is really not an option.....they are almost an hour away (one way).

Jana
Reply With Quote Likes