Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-21-2010, 06:15 AM   #81  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadget19View Post
Yay for you!! Don't stress out! I don't think that anyone will mind if you miss a year, or send them a little late.

Does anyone else get annoyed with the single layer pictures and form letters in the mail? We have received about 8-10 cards so far, and at least 1/2 of them are pictures, with impersonal letters - some even addressed on the computer. I have to admit, this year we are sending out picture cards, but I emphasize CARDS, as in you can open them and handwrite a message. I guess I should feel good about getting the card, but it's like if you spent 2 seconds on it to send it out.. really? That's all I am worth? Not even a hand written hi?

OK off my soapbox! Thanks for letting me vent!
OK so after rereading my post, man I was a b-word! I am so sorry to have posted this. I have to admit I love every card I get, no matter what type it is. While form letters are not my favorite, I have to admit I like to read them (most of the time, except from one of our friends who are the "we are so much better than you" type).

So sorry for hijacking the original thread and adding to the form letter debate!

Mommy to my handsome twin 3 year old boys and beautiful 1 year old girl

~ Gallery ~ Craft Blog ~ Family Blog ~
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 06:43 AM   #82  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like I have broken ALL the rules here:

1. Sent out 75 single layer picture cards of our family in Dinseyland (our first trip ever)

2. Sold all 50 handmade christmas cards to my friends so that I'll have money for SAB and the new occasions mini: Have ya seen the sewing set????????

3. Sent out 20 store bought cards to a few others who know what my kids look like!

4. I LOVE LOVE getting Christmas cards even AFTER Jan 1st!!

5. In the words of Dr. Laura: "Never let someone else's behavior dictate what you know is to be polite and correct". Just because everone else is jumping off the bridge (IE NOT SENDING CARDS) doesn't mean I will too!!

6. I LOVE any and all happy mail, handmade, pic, no picture, store bought, letter, no letter, anytime of year Jan-Dec.......my address is 860 NE Queens Lane, Hillsboro Or, 97124!!!!!! LOL!!!

Hakuna Mata (Lion King: No worries)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #83  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
My personal pet peeve, and I know it's controversial, are the photo cards of just the children. My husband always asks "who are these kids" and I always reply "we've never met them". I like the ones that are a portrait of the entire family, but so few people seem to send those.
My friend cracked me up one year with her card. She's never done one of just her kids, but one year, when her son was younger, She had the picture taken with him in the middle, and just half of her and her husband! It just highlighted what everybody knew...your first child IS your life for awhile! She did it as a joke, and we all thought it was hilarious!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 07:20 AM   #84  
Hardware Hotshot

[QUOTE=Jana Z;17705589]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I would suggest you buy a box of cards. Send them to the important people and let it go. You don't need to feel guilty for not making them. QUOTE]

This is sort of what I do. I bought a box and then I embellished them a little with Stickles and buttons; it made me feel a little better about not making/sending anything. Of course, I still do feel guilty about all the money I have spent on supplies! Oh well, I have a very nice collection!
Oh, cute! Such a great idea to dress up a store bought card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 07:53 AM   #85  
Hardware Hotshot

Also, I love the picture cards people send of their family....it warms my heart and still takes time to find the right photo and get them made, addressed and mailed. They mean a lot to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #86  
Pearl-ExPert

It is so disappointing to read of so many "card snobs" in this thread, especially at this time of year. A card is sent with the intention of keeping in touch, even if in just a little way, with the recipient. To be offended by or look down on upon cards/envelopes that were printed by computer and not handwritten, or because a card is bought and not handmade, or because it contained a picture of just kids, or because it had a family letter in it, or because it was blue and not green, or any other stupid reason ... well, it is just plain mean spirited. I was glad to see one person rethought her comments. The rest could do well to take a look in the mirror as well.

This reminded me of a time when our family dog was diagnosed with diabetes. I joined an email support group in the middle of a flame war amongst several of the subscribers. They disputed whether to use a human insulin meter pet insulin meter. There were some on the list that couldn't afford the pet version and did the best they could with the human version. People posted really condescending things like "I value my pet too much to use a human meter" and the like. It was shameful, just like some of the comments in this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #87  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I send out 16-18 just to family and friends. We've received 5 as of Dec 21 and one of them was from our house insurance company. I don't worry about it, I know more and more just don't bother with mailing cards anymore. I remember my mother with a huge stack of them to send out every year, she started cutting them back in the 1970's. It's a dying tradition and that's a bit sad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #88  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
It is so disappointing to read of so many "card snobs" in this thread, especially at this time of year. A card is sent with the intention of keeping in touch, even if in just a little way, with the recipient. To be offended by or look down on upon cards/envelopes that were printed by computer and not handwritten, or because a card is bought and not handmade, or because it contained a picture of just kids, or because it had a family letter in it, or because it was blue and not green, or any other stupid reason ... well, it is just plain mean spirited. I was glad to see one person rethought her comments. The rest could do well to take a look in the mirror as well.

This reminded me of a time when our family dog was diagnosed with diabetes. I joined an email support group in the middle of a flame war amongst several of the subscribers. They disputed whether to use a human insulin meter pet insulin meter. There were some on the list that couldn't afford the pet version and did the best they could with the human version. People posted really condescending things like "I value my pet too much to use a human meter" and the like. It was shameful, just like some of the comments in this thread.
I don't say much to these types of comments, but I really hate posts shaming other posters. It's all working out, and the pot doesn't need to be stirred.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #89  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I wonder if the recession is having anything to do with this? I too have noticed that the received cards number is way down this year- usually I have hangers to put them on because I run out of space on shelves etc-I think we have only just made it into double figures this year. I know I have sent way more than we are getting, and I have stressed myself by leaving it to the last minute (which every year I swear I am not going to do).
I so understand Barbara Jays post- I organised all my stamps back in November, and I swear that if I used a different stamp for every Christmas card I send out for the rest of my life,and never bought another Christmas stamp (and lets be brutally honest here, that's just not going to happen:rolleyes I'd not duplicate one card! The main concession I have made is to keeping my cards simpler if I am posting them, especially abroad.
But I think I'd feel too guilty not to send any, and I'm sure I'd be worrying that people felt snubbed if I sent bought cards instead of handmade ones.
I know I have received fewer this year as well -- I do think part of it is the economy - times are tough, and normally I would mail cards to my family, but at nearly $.50 a pop, if I'm going to see them - they're getting a hand delivery ;). I have had a few of my in-laws say they aren't sending this year, etc.

While I think it's nice, and I love to get them, I see why it could be less this year.

I didn't make mine -- I got photo cards made this year, and I also included the photo from LAST year, when I never got around to making my cards then...

The holidays should be enjoyed however you want to enjoy them -- if making cards is enjoyable - awesome. If it's a stress, and you'd rather be baking, cooking, snuggling, whatever -- then that's what should be done

Happy Holidays!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #90  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin in OkcView Post
I don't say much to these types of comments, but I really hate posts shaming other posters. It's all working out, and the pot doesn't need to be stirred.
I guess I was harsh as well and I apologize. I don't mean to stir the pot. It was so shocking to read such negativity. The similarities to the email list I mentioned brought back unpleasant memories of losing our dog since he is no longer with us. This will be our first Christmas in over 10 years without him :-(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #91  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #92  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I figure if they go out, "sometime", (Christmas, New Years, Epiphany, Chinese New Year, whatever) I'm good. I alternate years from which I start with the address book, last year was from the back, so they got theirs first. This year it is from the front and I am about 1/2 way through. Those "T's" may get New Year cards.

It's OK to take some time away from all the stress (which we heap upon ourselves, mostly) of the holiday. There is always next year!!

JMHO

Jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #93  
Glitter Queen

I gave up on mine also this year- just didn't have the time. Last year I ended up buying cards but every year before that I've always made my own. I rarely get cards from other people though. It seems like fewer and fewer every year. This year I've only received 2 so far :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #94  
Insane Embellisher

I didnt make any Christmas card this year! When it finally gets to Christmas time I have run out of card making energy it seems and I want a months rest before all the birthday's and other holidays start up!! I have only gotten 2 Christmas cards, so far.
Last year I decided to make New Years cards instead. I liked that much better.
I have a stamp that says, "thought you might enjoy a little spring in the middle of winter" from Inky Antics. Might just make a card using that, with all the snow and rain people have been having, can make something nice and cheery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #95  
Rubber Obsessor

The similarities to the email list I mentioned brought back unpleasant memories of losing our dog since he is no longer with us. This will be our first Christmas in over 10 years without him

Sorry to hear about your fur-baby. I'm missing one of mine this Christmas too.:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #96  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by katz_r_usView Post
The similarities to the email list I mentioned brought back unpleasant memories of losing our dog since he is no longer with us. This will be our first Christmas in over 10 years without him

Sorry to hear about your fur-baby. I'm missing one of mine this Christmas too.:(
Me, too.

Hugs to all who are missing someone this year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #97  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I guess I was harsh as well and I apologize.
I apologize for offending anyone. I know I'm a card snob, although I'm working on it. I definitely appreciate every card I receive, but I only keep the ones that speak to me - the handmade ones, the clever photo cards, and certain store bought cards.

I receive a lot of kids-only cards without a personal greeting. It's kind of like a few years back when everyone hung white icicle lights and nothing else. At the time, I longed for lots of garish, multi-color blinking lights.

I love the photo cards that are clever. I have friends that send a photo of their MG in front of cool landmarks or beautiful landscapes. The owner of the MG passed away a few years ago, and I'm glad I hung on to every one of them. I have other friends that sent a hilarious photo card of their girls - one picture was the two of them posed and looking like little angels, and in the other one, one girl was pouting and the other crying. They had a great caption to go with it, and I loved it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #98  
Crimping Master

Just mailed 75 cards today, and they were:

Completely Handmade

with computer-generated sentiments and signatures

included a computer-generated family news letter

and computer-generated address labels.

Don't know what that says about me, but I am just glad they are out.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #99  
Hardware Hotshot

I decided not to be a scrooge and sent out my cards, only to find out that nearly half of them needed twenty cents more postage because of the "bump" the ribbon caused. :rolleyes:

At least they're out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #100  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you don't have time or just don't want to make them thats your decision. Not a thing wrong with that. I truly believe that you have to do what's important to you. I did the Christmas Card challenge year b4 last and that was great. I signed up to do it last year and didn't make a one of them before November. I am going to join again this year and do it! Besides I have so many new Christmas stamps I have to use them. Just have fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2010, 02:55 AM   #101  
Insane Embellisher

Well, I have my Christmas cards finally completed for my friends at work, which is good, as today is our last day before vacation. As far as family is concerned, I will send out a few more cards tomorrow. This year I am just NOT sending as many cards, and I am ok with that. I also made sure the cards I am sending do NOT require more postage than a regular stamp.

IMO, it's all good! Do what you can/want to and don't stress over not doing more. Life's too short for that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2010, 05:35 AM   #102  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
Me, too.

Hugs to all who are missing someone this year.
Now that means more to me than any hard copy card :-)

Thanks to those who offered condolences on our Stormy Dog. It's like a member of our family is missing. I have to keep telling myself he's in a better place and not suffering.

I plan on making some sort of ornament for the tree with his picture in it. I have picture ornaments that my kids made when they were younger in Girl Guides and Boy Scouts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #103  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly ChickView Post
Just mailed 75 cards today, and they were:

Completely Handmade

with computer-generated sentiments and signatures

included a computer-generated family news letter

and computer-generated address labels.

Don't know what that says about me, but I am just glad they are out.

Pamela
Are we related? I firmly believe the computer/printer is a tool just as much as my score pal, cricut, cuttlebug etc. Its how you use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #104  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Now that means more to me than any hard copy card :-)

Thanks to those who offered condolences on our Stormy Dog. It's like a member of our family is missing. I have to keep telling myself he's in a better place and not suffering.

I plan on making some sort of ornament for the tree with his picture in it. I have picture ornaments that my kids made when they were younger in Girl Guides and Boy Scouts.
I, too, am sorry about your furbaby and I think that is a brilliant idea about the ornament.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #105  
Sis
Insane Embellisher

Been where you are and life goes on.....just remember when you do any of your cards...do for yourself with love...not because you have to. I use to make cards for my husbands brothers and sisters.....no appreciation ...so screw them and I do for those I care about. This is the first year to do them again and I have loved it...Happy New year and wishing you and yours the best in the coming year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #106  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

I got mine done and sent (you probably don't want to hear that), but let me tell you I was really sweating there and even took a day of vacation to get them done. I made 62. Anyway, it's like my Christmas baking. I feel if it doesn't get done, it ain't the end of world. Life will still go on. Don't loose any sleep over it sweetie and remember, you are still a wonderful person!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #107  
Polyshrink Goddess

I stopped making all my cards a few years ago. A friend and I spent all day one Saturday working on cards and we didn't finish mine and that was sort of the end of it for me. I finished those that year and then decided I would only send hand-made to those I knew would appreciate it (mostly other stampers). This year I dug around in my stash to get those out. BUT I do make some sort of packaging/tags for the 40 bags of snack mix I gift every year and I made several gifts this year and I was really happy with the way those turned out so I think that was a good trade.

I have received most of the cards I usually get. Guess my family is still into it but I don't receive a lot from friends. Many have rarely, if ever, sent one but I keep sending them. I don't really get electronic ones though either. <shrug>

All that said, I totally agree that you can only do what you can do and I've definitely had years mine didn't make it out the door.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 04:40 AM   #108  
Pearl-ExPert

I love receiving Christmas mail -- store bought, handmade, single layer pictures, and computer printed letters. I love photos of the kids and furry babies (I love the parents in the photos too but I seldom see mom and dad in them) and seeing how much they have grown each year. I love reading what is going on in the lives of our family and friends. I scrap all the photos I receive as well as some of the cards and I save all the computer letters each year. I have a guy friend who is single and sends me e-cards. They are always so cute and funny that I get a chuckle out of them. I appreciate those too.

I so appreciate people taking time out of their busy lives to send me something -- in the mail or email. Oh yes, I do send out handmade cards. Several people express their appreciation for them and it warms my heart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #109  
NwP
Kookie Creator

I sent out 80 cards this year, 14 of them hand-made (60 were photo cards, 6 were leftover store-boughts from last year). I included a family letter in each one. I try to make my letter amusing and honest, and if people think it is impersonal that is unfortunate.

I try to send the handmade cards to fellow stampers (this year my list had three) and people who I know will appreciate the time and energy.

I treasure all the cards we receive, from the photo card with a picture of some beautiful mountains but no people (I think they took a holiday out west this year) to the long hand-written letters.

So far I have gotten fewer than half as many cards as I sent out, but I am still glad that I sent out all I did.

We, too, have people on our list that we haven't seen in years, some that we may never see again. I have also been guilty several times of sending out cards with only pictures of my kids, and none of me and my husband. It is about 500 times easier to get a good picture of the kids than it is of myself, and I really don't want to send out a terrible picture of myself. This year our card included a picture of the five of us where my husband looks really good, the kids are mostly facing the camera, and I look like a flat-haired hunchback.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #110  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by NwPView Post
This year our card included a picture of the five of us where my husband looks really good, the kids are mostly facing the camera, and I look like a flat-haired hunchback.
I'm sure you are the only one who will look at the picture and think "flat-haired hunchback." Everyone else will look at it and say "look, it's NwP and her family, they look great."

We are all too harsh on ourselves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #111  
Hardware Hotshot

As much as I love to stamp, I always send commercially made photo cards. It is just too much pressure to make over 150 cards (yes, that's how many we send out).

Believe it or not, Christmas comes whether we make our cards or not LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #112  
Gabfest Goddess

I didn't know if I was going to get anything sent out this year, and wasn't too worried about it. I did manage to get a good pic of the kids (I'm one of those that's hard on myself, especially since all my friends are skinny minis and I still need to lose 30 lbs of baby weight). Uploaded to Sam's Club Friday, picked them up Saturday, and DH addressed them (30) at work on Sunday. I only send them to people we see on a regular basis, so they all know my kids . I did stamp about 10 cards to send to stamping friends/people who appreciate them.

If you don't send cards, don't sweat it! Enjoy the season instead of worrying about what didn't get done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #113  
Glitter Queen

People are sending fewer and fewer Christmas cards in general. I got less than a dozen this year. I remember not too long ago getting enough to decorate every door in the house!

I still enjoy sending them but this year I let go of the guilt and sent store bought cards. We were away on vacation the week before Christmas and there was just no way I was getting anything handmade done.

Holidays are stressful enough. Good for you for being able to let go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 12:23 PM   #114  
Glitter Queen

I, too, gave up trying to get a decent photo of the four of us. It's so much easier to get something good of the kids.

Besides, if we're really honest about it, most people are looking mainly at the kids. I mean, the adults look pretty much the same from one year to the next.....I just enjoy seeing how my friends' kids have grown!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #115  
Chat Box Chick Enabler

I cut waaaaay back on the number I sent this year...I sent no more than 10! What a freeing feeling! Haha!

We got about 5 cards so I think I'll send Happy New Year ones to those that sent to us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2010, 07:15 AM   #116  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyinMNView Post
I used to stress out about making my cards in time for Christmas. Then I had established a "rule" that I had to have my cards done before Rubberama in October. (Back when this convention was still held in the Twin Cities.) THEN... I discovered that if I made them a year in advance, there was no stress involved. I plan out what I am going to make and then take those supplies with me to my in-laws when we are there for a week for Christmas. This gives me something to do when we are there AND I don't have to stress about this for the current holiday.

That being said... it is OKAY to not send out cards. Totally OKAY. When it comes to these kind of things, I have to step back and ask myself... "Is this life-or-death? No? Then don't sweat it."
So very true!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #117  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
I felt this way for a long time. Then a friend shared her story of having sent a distant friend Christmas cards for about 8 years without receiving anything in return. Every year, my friend considered not sending a card and always did anyway, not sure why. Her friend had, unknown to my friend, lost her child to cancer and fallen into a prolonged and deep depression. One year, out of the blue, her friend sent a Christmas card and letter thanking my friend for sticking with her all those years, for not dropping her off her list like the rest of her friends had.

I wrote a blog post on Questioning my Intelligence about sending Christmas cards. It's an Advent devotional, so it's heavy on religion, but it shows a different way of thinking about Christmas cards, whether you're religious or not.

And Julie, you're not cheating by sending store-bought cards. I have several boxes in my Christmas stash in case I come up short. I make hundreds of Christmas cards a year, but a large portion gets sent to the troops, so I occasionally have to send store-bought to fill my own list.

Also, to those who resent the form letters...as a military spouse for 20 years, those letters are often the only way DH and I stay in touch with friends scattered all over the globe. I value each and every letter, card, email, or FB greeting, no matter if it was mass-produced or took seconds of the sender's time. The letters take time to write and print and fold and put in the cards. One year, my DH and I didn't do one, and I was totally surprised at the outcry from my distant relatives--people I see once every five years or so!--who missed getting our news.

Finally, I stand by my advice to the OP that if cards are too stressful, don't do them. No one who loves you wants to receive something that caused you stress. Christmas isn't about checking boxes, fulfilling obligations, spending gobs of money on cards, presents, postage, and decorations. It's about love and goodwill, whether you believe the whole Jesus thing or not.

However you show love...with tweets or emails or phone calls or store-bought cards...please show it as you feel moved to show it. No stress, no obligation, just whatever you can do with love.

Because that's really what it's all about.
I love your post! Exactly how I feel.

My cards didn't make it out until Monday, but they made it. I made all 85 of them, have a full-time job, two little ones and as much going on at the holidays as everyone else. (I usually start right after Halloween, but...I am full of excuses. Some are legit others...not so much. lol.) It is my little gift to those I may not see all year or for several years. I won't chop people off my list because they don't send in return. (Don't think I haven't considered it while working away at this project year after year.) I would love to receive more because I love littering my doorways with happy thoughts from those who are dear to me.

As for emails, tweets, FB, photocards, letters, store bought cards, etc. Someone made an effort. Be thankful that they thought of you. Perhaps you should let them know that you don't appreciate it, so they don't waste their time and money on you next year. Sorry. Life is too short to be upset by how someone shares their holiday greetings with you.

With that said, if you observe Christmas as a Christian holiday don't forget that the end of the season isn't until January 6 at Epiphany still time to get those greetings out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #118  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinsweeneyView Post
I love your post! Exactly how I feel.

My cards didn't make it out until Monday, but they made it. I made all 85 of them, have a full-time job, two little ones and as much going on at the holidays as everyone else. (I usually start right after Halloween, but...I am full of excuses. Some are legit others...not so much. lol.) It is my little gift to those I may not see all year or for several years. I won't chop people off my list because they don't send in return. (Don't think I haven't considered it while working away at this project year after year.) I would love to receive more because I love littering my doorways with happy thoughts from those who are dear to me.
I have considered chopping people off my list who don't send me one, but you may have changed my mind! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #119  
Matboard Maniac

I usually don't send christmas cards but new year cards instead. I guess it's a French habit as as far that I can recall I always got new year cards and just one christmas this year from my sister in law because we could'nt gather for a family christmas meal this year.

A few years ago I used to send cards to all my friends and members of the family. I wasn't getting much cards in return. But I wasn't discouraged because I thought it was my way to keep in touch with people I could'nt go and visit.

Since 2 years, I think I've been influenced by all you christmas cards makers, I've been seriously thinking of sending christmas cards to close relatives considering the handmade cards as presents for those I won't be able to see before long. The thing is the cards are done but I can't send them, they are not in my tradition. Furthermore most of those relatives told me at least once that they didn't care sending cards by mail anymore because they find the postage costs too high... Instead they prefer buying a huge motorbike or the new big TV screen. My husband only owns a old car, we have an old TV that we will keep until it dyes. And I keep the money to buy postal stamps. Will I send new year cards this year. Despite what those people are saying, yes I will send cards because I want to serve as an example to my kids, no matter what they will do later, either they follow the trend of not sending anything or not. The last would suit me better of course.

I'm a card snob maybe, but I don't like receiving simple E-mails sent to a huge list of people in the same time with a ready-made saying. I'm pleased though with an e-mail that is sent like an ordinary card with a few words coming from the brain of the sender.
Reply With Quote Likes