Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #41  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have managed to send out handmade cards every year since I started stamping - this is Christmas number six. Sometimes I make a big variety over the course of the year, sometimes I panic and mass-produce in December, and sometimes it's a mix of the two. This year's cards are all simple ones, all alike other than the base color (because I used scraps from three different holiday paper packs and they each needed a different background color). They're simple enough that they'll all be regular first class postage to mail. I have them all ready to go, but I haven't sat down to address them yet. Guess it's about time, huh?

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #42  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all! I had forgotten about starting this thread, and surprised at how many of you replied! I'm glad if I can make anybody else feel better about not stressing, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BellegirlView Post
Wow...glad I stumbled upon this thread...my problem is this...I've made probably 20+ cards, but as yet, have NOT sent any of them out as I just have the "outsides" done. I used dark CS, so almost all of my cards need a light liner and a sentiment of something stamped inside. It probably won't be that much work, but I got into baking the last 2 weekends, and ran out of time to complete the cards. So now what? Do I try to slap something together in a hurry? If I don't line them, I can't really even write in them and have my words visible. Also, to this date, we've only received 2 or three cards.
I have thought about working on them on 12/23 as that's when my vacation starts and then sending out what I get done on that day...yikes though...that's pretty late, right?

Maybe I should just forget it and I'll have a head start on next year's!

OH...well we have gotten 3 of "those letters"...you know the "We did this, we went there, yada..yada..yada...I'm sorry folks, but IMO, those are NOT Christmas cards!!!!
Well I do a combined printed card/handdecorated card - I admit it my Christmas card this year doesn't have a lick of stamping on the "bulk" ones. Then I do "specials" (large cards with stamping and coloring in and individual designs) for my neice, nephew, BIL&SIL and MIL and my own immediate family. On the inside I do a brief family update and print our greeting on the opposite page. I also print my handmade with love by on the back and then I assemble the front.

Its a way that works for me - you might want to consider printing your insert for your cards and just signing. I know the stress of making a card only to smudge the internal stamping just got too much for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #44  
Gabfest Goddess

I've been there myself in past years. I dreaded making the cards so I put it off until the last minute then killed myself trying to get them done to mail them out in time. And, like you, I sent out a lot of cards (about 50 each year) and receive just a few in return.

This year I decided that I wasn't going to go through that again. So instead of making all my cards in December, I have been making one or two cards a week for the whole year. Not only was it stress free, it was actually fun. And last week it took just a few minutes for hubby and I to go through them all and choose who got which card. I even ended up with more than I needed.

Don't kill yourself this year. If it's really important to send out cards, get a box from the store and mail them. If it's not, let it go and worry about it next year. Just start earlier or make a couple at a time each month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I'm still working on mine and they will all be in the mail by Wednesday night for delivery by Christmas Eve (only 2 going out of state).

I could never cheat and send a store/box card. I'd send none instead. I only send out 45 but a lot of thought and care goes into them. I don't do gifts, so my cards are my Christmas gift to these friends and family. I've only gotten 2 so far and one of them was from my late dog's best friend.

If you don't feel like sending out cards, then don't, but don't send a store one just to send a card.

Patti
Just cause we are card makers does not mean we can't send out store cards!

I have been card making for 5 years, and sent out home made cards for 5 christmas.

Does this mean I can never send a store bought card again????

I sent 35 out received 3 so far.

If time and craft funds means I cant' send out any hand made cards then store bought it is.

Considering I sent out store bought cards for 17 years before I starded card making;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh good. Now I will not feel guilty next year. I've decided to only send cards to those who send us cards. Petty? I don't think so. If those people do not send out cards I'm going to assume they don't care about getting them. Hopefully this will mean less stress next year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #47  
Insane Embellisher

We're just not doing them this year. no one else seems to be either. I think we've gotten 2 or 3 total. Normally we get lots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #48  
Pearl-ExPert

Yay for you!! Don't stress out! I don't think that anyone will mind if you miss a year, or send them a little late.

Does anyone else get annoyed with the single layer pictures and form letters in the mail? We have received about 8-10 cards so far, and at least 1/2 of them are pictures, with impersonal letters - some even addressed on the computer. I have to admit, this year we are sending out picture cards, but I emphasize CARDS, as in you can open them and handwrite a message. I guess I should feel good about getting the card, but it's like if you spent 2 seconds on it to send it out.. really? That's all I am worth? Not even a hand written hi?

OK off my soapbox! Thanks for letting me vent!

Mommy to my handsome twin 3 year old boys and beautiful 1 year old girl

~ Gallery ~ Craft Blog ~ Family Blog ~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #49  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadget19View Post
Yay for you!! Don't stress out! I don't think that anyone will mind if you miss a year, or send them a little late.

Does anyone else get annoyed with the single layer pictures and form letters in the mail? We have received about 8-10 cards so far, and at least 1/2 of them are pictures, with impersonal letters - some even addressed on the computer. I have to admit, this year we are sending out picture cards, but I emphasize CARDS, as in you can open them and handwrite a message. I guess I should feel good about getting the card, but it's like if you spent 2 seconds on it to send it out.. really? That's all I am worth? Not even a hand written hi?

OK off my soapbox! Thanks for letting me vent!
I agree!! I can't decide which I hate more the jokes, form letters or the e-cards that were sent to everyone in their address book. The worst part is now they don't even bother to mail the form letters , they come via email :mad: I don't even reply to them.

I love my computer , but I don't count sending jokes, form letters or e-cards as correspondence . I do the inserts for my cards on my computer, but I compose each greeting individually .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2010, 10:38 PM   #50  
Glitter Guru

Received 862 Likes on 513 Posts
Heart

I wasn't feeling well this past week and considered sending an ecard, but finally felt well enough to address some bought cards. I don't mind getting any of them; ecards, letters, emails, pictures, bought cards. It's all their way of letting you know that you were thought about. I used to be more demanding about everything, but after I got sick, I learned to say "No" to a lot of things and also say "no" to people when I wanted to say No. Sometimes, we need to cut ourselves and others some slack. Our way of doing things is not everyone's. If we all thought alike and did the same things, it would be a BORING world! Hope you all have a blessed Christmas this week!

Last edited by hoptownracer1; 12-19-2010 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 12:28 AM   #51  
Kookie Creator

I am sending out 1 card this year. To the only Aunt that still bothers to send me Christmas and bithday cards. Even my grandmother is hit or miss. Thanks to you guys, and har card coming today I am dropping a card into the mail tonight for her. It is even handmade. I don't stress about cards. more often than not, I make cards or buy them then forget to send them. It almost makes me wish I had a way to get rid of them other than sending. I never know what to write in the inside. What I really need is a good multi-purpose set of stamps for the INSIDE of the card. That way I can write my one or two lines and not feel like I wasted a my time because I don't know what to say. ANYWAY, As long as you are happy with you decision on what to send, that is all that matters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 03:45 AM   #52  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyteaspoonView Post
Oh good. Now I will not feel guilty next year. I've decided to only send cards to those who send us cards. Petty? I don't think so. If those people do not send out cards I'm going to assume they don't care about getting them. Hopefully this will mean less stress next year.
I felt this way for a long time. Then a friend shared her story of having sent a distant friend Christmas cards for about 8 years without receiving anything in return. Every year, my friend considered not sending a card and always did anyway, not sure why. Her friend had, unknown to my friend, lost her child to cancer and fallen into a prolonged and deep depression. One year, out of the blue, her friend sent a Christmas card and letter thanking my friend for sticking with her all those years, for not dropping her off her list like the rest of her friends had.

I wrote a blog post on Questioning my Intelligence about sending Christmas cards. It's an Advent devotional, so it's heavy on religion, but it shows a different way of thinking about Christmas cards, whether you're religious or not.

And Julie, you're not cheating by sending store-bought cards. I have several boxes in my Christmas stash in case I come up short. I make hundreds of Christmas cards a year, but a large portion gets sent to the troops, so I occasionally have to send store-bought to fill my own list.

Also, to those who resent the form letters...as a military spouse for 20 years, those letters are often the only way DH and I stay in touch with friends scattered all over the globe. I value each and every letter, card, email, or FB greeting, no matter if it was mass-produced or took seconds of the sender's time. The letters take time to write and print and fold and put in the cards. One year, my DH and I didn't do one, and I was totally surprised at the outcry from my distant relatives--people I see once every five years or so!--who missed getting our news.

Finally, I stand by my advice to the OP that if cards are too stressful, don't do them. No one who loves you wants to receive something that caused you stress. Christmas isn't about checking boxes, fulfilling obligations, spending gobs of money on cards, presents, postage, and decorations. It's about love and goodwill, whether you believe the whole Jesus thing or not.

However you show love...with tweets or emails or phone calls or store-bought cards...please show it as you feel moved to show it. No stress, no obligation, just whatever you can do with love.

Because that's really what it's all about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 05:18 AM   #53  
Die Cut Diva

My cards are hand made. The envelopes are computer addressed in a cursive font to match the Salutation on the inside of the card.

My name and the name of my "child" are also computer generated in the same cursive font as the Salutation.

I don't feel computer generated addressing or message inside the card is inappropriate. It's legible. I don't like getting hand written letters that I have to guess what the words are.

The inside greeting on my Christmas Cards simply says.....Merry Christmas.....and is either stamped and heat embossed or machine embossed. I feel it's a Christmas Card and you're wishing the person a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, to me it's not meant as a social letter.

If a person wants to put a noisy letter inside detailing their family's activities, that's fine with me, but don't write that on the card directly.

My using my computer in the creation of my Christmas Cards is a part of me and what I do. It's not meant as being cold and impersonal and with my friends it's not taken that way. I can't say the same for some of my family members though.

NO! I don't like electronic sent greeting cards.....there's no real thought in that. (my opinion)

I agree with the poster who sent a card to a sick friend without getting one in return. There may be a very valid reason some people can't send cards, but some very few special people truly appreciate receiving them.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 05:28 AM   #54  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I computer print my card inserts greeting, but then hand write the to(whoever) and from ( our names) part. I do handwrite the envelopes too, but I just love 'proper' writing, I still do it all the time for most things. Although Beloved Husband keeps lists of stuff like addresses etc on his pc, I have written versions too. I just love the actual process of writing, I don't think I will ever change,lol. Just like reading- I love having a real book in my hands- I've tried audio books ,e-books etc, but I like turning pages!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 06:30 AM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi, my name is Leisa and I buy boxed Christmas cards to send each year...yes, that's right, I send out store bought cards!

This time of year is just too busy. I also try to send out my cards the first week of December...usually about 45 go out and around 25 or so come in. It doesn't matter to me. The Christmas cards you can get at the store are just gorgeous, and I feel like I'm wishing everyone a Merry Christmas when I send them out. I just like it. I feel no guilt or shame to admit this on SCS.

Wishing Erin and all of you Happy Holidays and a Joyful (and stress-free) New Year!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 06:34 AM   #56  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I am skipping them this year. Just this year. And I've made up my mind not to feel guilty about it. We did a bathroom remodel this fall and that set me way back in my craft projects. I will probably send 2 or 3 to distant elderly relatives, but I'm not mass-producing or even buying. Just not into it this year. I am, however, having fun making little tags to put on gifts, and I am making some notecard sets as gifts (six cards, done in one sitting, pretty much right before I give them!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 06:40 AM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

I am so glad I read this thread. I finally got out the last of my cards last week. It's really not much of a problem for me, I have drastically cut my list down to about 25 people. So far this year, we have only received 5 cards, it does seem to dwindle every year. That said, this is my "therapy" so I would have the cards to send anyways, and I figure why not possibly give someone a smile for a minute or two. Now the disclaimer, I did cut my card list drastically to the close friends that understand my stamping addiction and would appreciate the cards. Now: family gets them whether they appreciate them or not, (they are family) they don't get a choice. ;-)

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 06:40 AM   #58  
Insane Embellisher

Well talking about this has really hit home for me too. I lost my address book year before last and I did not send out not one card that year. I still got a few from family and friends and that helped me get a few cards out last year and started remaking my address book.

Well this summer I found my address book...YEAH!!! I missed it so much...as I hugged it and loved on it...I started to look through it...there were some loved ones and friends that had passed away or moved away in just a couple of years. I was so excited to have it back that I sent cards to all that I could...yes I did buy a box for some and some will get my handmade cards this year. It's funny how not having the addresses did not make a difference that year...but I sure am glad I found my book. Christmas is all about loving and giving...not about guilty and not getting. I "Thank God" for Facebook and Twitter and emailing and cell phones...without all of this technology...we probably wouldn't even think about each other as much as we do.

Here's wishing all of my Splitcoaststampers Friends...
A Very Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year!!!

"Jesus Is The Reason For The Season"!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 07:19 AM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

This is the first year that I have sent all hand-made cards. I think that the important thing is remembering loved ones and taking the time to send a card whether or not it is handmade. Many of the store-bought cards are so lovely and I love receiving them. Even the ones with preprinted signatures are better than not sending anything. Of course, there are situations such as illness or loss of income when you can't get cards out and everyone should understand that. Then there are those people who NEVER send cards (I still send them one because they are family) and say that they just didn't get their cards out this year because THEY are busy. (Like the rest of us aren't!) It's funny that they manage to see all the latest movies and know exactly what's happening on every TV series. I just smile and say that's OK but you can't help but feel that they're really saying "I just couldn't take 3-5 minutes to address a card to you because there are so many other things l'd rather be doing that are more important." It's not like they didn't know Christmas would be coming around on Dec. 25. Besides if they wanted to they could send a New Year's card or even a "Hope your Christmas was nice" note. That would be OK - and much better than nothing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 07:28 AM   #60  
Polyshrink Goddess

Two years ago when my daughter got married in December, I got my cards done early before the wedding/Christmas rush. I finally got them out this year, revamped just a bit and sent them out.
Some years it works out and others years it doesn't. Don't sweat the small stuff, right!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 09:14 AM   #61  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking the same thing this morning! I've mailed out only half of my list, maybe 20 cards. And received only 5 so far. Maybe people are cutting back on expenses this year and not mailing cards out?

Either that or I'm on the "do not mail list"! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #62  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BellegirlView Post
OH...well we have gotten 3 of "those letters"...you know the "We did this, we went there, yada..yada..yada...I'm sorry folks, but IMO, those are NOT Christmas cards!!!!
Oh this made me laugh! Can I just say (and please don't throw stones at me for being honest!) but I HATE those letters. Like I want to hear the day-to-day details about potty training little Billie or Susie's weekly art classes, etc. This letter does not make up for not hearing from you for an entire year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #63  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post
Oh this made me laugh! Can I just say (and please don't throw stones at me for being honest!) but I HATE those letters. Like I want to hear the day-to-day details about potty training little Billie or Susie's weekly art classes, etc. This letter does not make up for not hearing from you for an entire year!
You made me think of this cartoon that I saw yesterday:
Attached Thumbnails
I give up!! My Christmas cards are not going out.-toon_68.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #64  
Rubber Obsessor

I make my sister's, my mom's and my own cards for Christmas. I do theirs first so I have the most time and they look the nicest. I like making theirs because it's like a thank you for all they do for me. If they don't have to buy cards to send out, I feel like I've really done something for them - though I am just making holiday cards, not giving them a winning lottery ticket. ;)

But if you don't have time to get your cards done before Christmas, you can always send them out for April Fool's Day. It was an idea I got in a class one time. I thought it was hilarious.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
I felt this way for a long time. Then a friend shared her story of having sent a distant friend Christmas cards for about 8 years without receiving anything in return. Every year, my friend considered not sending a card and always did anyway, not sure why. Her friend had, unknown to my friend, lost her child to cancer and fallen into a prolonged and deep depression. One year, out of the blue, her friend sent a Christmas card and letter thanking my friend for sticking with her all those years, for not dropping her off her list like the rest of her friends had.

I wrote a blog post on Questioning my Intelligence about sending Christmas cards. It's an Advent devotional, so it's heavy on religion, but it shows a different way of thinking about Christmas cards, whether you're religious or not.

And Julie, you're not cheating by sending store-bought cards. I have several boxes in my Christmas stash in case I come up short. I make hundreds of Christmas cards a year, but a large portion gets sent to the troops, so I occasionally have to send store-bought to fill my own list.

Also, to those who resent the form letters...as a military spouse for 20 years, those letters are often the only way DH and I stay in touch with friends scattered all over the globe. I value each and every letter, card, email, or FB greeting, no matter if it was mass-produced or took seconds of the sender's time. The letters take time to write and print and fold and put in the cards. One year, my DH and I didn't do one, and I was totally surprised at the outcry from my distant relatives--people I see once every five years or so!--who missed getting our news.

Finally, I stand by my advice to the OP that if cards are too stressful, don't do them. No one who loves you wants to receive something that caused you stress. Christmas isn't about checking boxes, fulfilling obligations, spending gobs of money on cards, presents, postage, and decorations. It's about love and goodwill, whether you believe the whole Jesus thing or not.

However you show love...with tweets or emails or phone calls or store-bought cards...please show it as you feel moved to show it. No stress, no obligation, just whatever you can do with love.

Because that's really what it's all about.
Well said and agreed!

And just to stoke the fire of whom does and doesn't deserve a card - for reasons unbeknownst to me I wasn't invited to my youngest cousin's wedding (same town, close family etc) this summer (through the grapevine over 200 invites went out so it wasn't a numbers issue or keeping it small etc). I'm actually going out of my way to send her and her mother (my biological aunt) Christmas cards. I'm not stooping to their level.;)

AND FWIW the reason I type my "letter" in my card is handwriting and I send over half overseas and every ounce counts (a dollar per card x 50 cards additional ounces up it around $.50). Truthfully though, I never thought to be "annoyed" by other peoples letters and updates. Also, because we have lived in different countries things happen at different times like my eldest can drive now but wouldn't be taking his test in England until next year. I truly want to know they are doing well, even if it IS better than me - maybe they can give me a handup!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #66  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan_TView Post
You made me think of this cartoon that I saw yesterday:

That's what I think sometimes when I get the form letters! Sometimes I don't mind. I LOVE getting the picture with it. And one friend and I don't get together much, and I love the update on what they've been doing. Plus I think she really enjoys writing it. I'm just happy she keeps me on her list!
The form letter I hate getting is from my sister in law. I haven't seen her in more than 10 years, as she's become a bit reclusive. She even teaches online classes now so that she doesn't have to leave the house much. But her form letter always makes me think something like your cartoon there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #67  
Die Cut Diva

I think the problem a lot of us have with the "letters" is they seem very fake. Most of them make it sound like life is always perfect and every child is a star-achiever. We all know that's not true. That cartoon linked by Susan_T nails the attitude that comes across in these types of letters, even if that was not the intention.

The letters that I enjoy are the ones that tell the real story. That doesn't mean it has to be depressing or mean, but the letters that include some of the lows along with the highs are so much better, in my opinion.

My personal pet peeve, and I know it's controversial, are the photo cards of just the children. My husband always asks "who are these kids" and I always reply "we've never met them". I like the ones that are a portrait of the entire family, but so few people seem to send those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #68  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
I think the problem a lot of us have with the "letters" is they seem very fake. Most of them make it sound like life is always perfect and every child is a star-achiever. We all know that's not true. That cartoon linked by Susan_T nails the attitude that comes across in these types of letters, even if that was not the intention.

The letters that I enjoy are the ones that tell the real story. That doesn't mean it has to be depressing or mean, but the letters that include some of the lows along with the highs are so much better, in my opinion.
Well, truthfully I have to stick to the positives of the year (because of the printing size and readability) and I generally don't mull on the low events though I tell the truth for example "Little Bob is doing better at school" (there is the implied that he wasn't doing as well and is doing better). And sometimes, like this year we lost several close friends and a dear uncle, but I didn't feel that though we feel those losses deeply that it was "ours" to share as it was our little family. Thanks for the insight though, I know I do my best to give my kids equally air time as well which isn't easy as I have one that does everything and one that doesn't to put it succinctly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #69  
Hardware Hotshot

Gosh, this is a tough crowd. No wonder less and less people are sending Christmas cards. From reading the posts I fall short by sending a single layer photo card and it's only of my kids. I"ll try harder next year ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #70  
Die Cut Diva

My parents have friends from college that send a letter every year and detail every hardship they have gone through. It is like watching a car crash, you just can't turn away. My parents have kept the letters over the years and they are somewhat amusing to read them through the years. Bad business choices, home renovation disasters, health disasters, kids who make bad choices, etc. etc. You name it they detail it. They are older now, the kids are out on their own, so the letters are dull. But it is still the first letter we want to see each year. I guess if anything it makes you realize your life is not so bad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #71  
Insane Embellisher

So sorry here...I think I somewhat hijacked this thread with a comment about not liking those Christmas letters. I guess it's just a personal preference of mine.And, if truth be told,I actually did get one this year that was extremely clever, entertaining, and just made me chuckle as I reread it! It did please me to no end that I got one of these things where--- I--- delighted in--- the reading of it!

Alas, for me though..... this is probably a fluke!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #72  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy-StamperView Post
Gosh, this is a tough crowd. No wonder less and less people are sending Christmas cards. From reading the posts I fall short by sending a single layer photo card and it's only of my kids. I"ll try harder next year ;)
I was just venting about my pet peeve. ;) Truth is, I'd rather get a photo card of just the kids without a personal note, than nothing at all. Keep in mind that I don't have children, and am not as enamored of them as everyone else seems to be.

The type of letter I like is thoughtfully written, and as I said, includes more than just all the fabulous stuff. I once had a friend who wrote about her husband taking a new job, moving to a new town, having to deal with the movers losing most of their stuff, setting up the new home, and how much her children were enjoying their new school. It felt real, because it was real. It wasn't a letter complaining about how hard it was to move and lose most of what they owned. It wasn't a letter bragging about her husband's new salary and her fabulous over-achieving children. It was simply the story of her year. She always sends letters like that, and I wish more of my friends had that skill.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 04:43 PM   #73  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
I was just venting about my pet peeve. ;) Truth is, I'd rather get a photo card of just the kids without a personal note, than nothing at all. Keep in mind that I don't have children, and am not as enamored of them as everyone else seems to be.

The type of letter I like is thoughtfully written, and as I said, includes more than just all the fabulous stuff. I once had a friend who wrote about her husband taking a new job, moving to a new town, having to deal with the movers losing most of their stuff, setting up the new home, and how much her children were enjoying their new school. It felt real, because it was real. It wasn't a letter complaining about how hard it was to move and lose most of what they owned. It wasn't a letter bragging about her husband's new salary and her fabulous over-achieving children. It was simply the story of her year. She always sends letters like that, and I wish more of my friends had that skill.
I understand I felt the need to poke fun at the way the thread had turned only because I think it's very hard to get Christmas cards out (I can relate to the original poster's sentiment). Every year I barely make it and often it's a struggle.

Last edited by Tracy-Stamper; 12-20-2010 at 04:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 05:08 PM   #74  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 661 Likes on 415 Posts

what can i say? It's monday at 6:01 pm I am the only person here in the office at work. (its locked up tight we close at 4:30 pm)

<---- My name is Stacy, and Hallmark is my friend! :mrgreen: ( I did tell people on and off during the last year that to not be offended if they received an Hallmark card from me... I think they thought it was a kidding around joke) (not) I joined the make 10 cards a month deal... i made some for a while, but i also donated a bunch then sold a few and I made a few for people i wanted to. the rest got hallmark. no guilt.

I'm considering switching to "happy winter" cards and mailing in January, then when people receive them they won't get lost in the shuffle of piles of December mail.
cards received at work is down this year (considerably) but, at home I seem to get most of them really close to Christmas or a little after. so, the verdicts out on that part of it.

Im leaning towards making some Thank-you cards ( for Christmas gifts and letting those be the handmade things that go out this next week or two) and that can have personal hand written notes in side.

the hallmark cards were signed and have a school snapshot of the kid inside.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #75  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by bweazView Post
But if you don't have time to get your cards done before Christmas, you can always send them out for April Fool's Day. It was an idea I got in a class one time. I thought it was hilarious.
Oh my goodness, that made me giggle!

I rather like the cards that come late--you have a chance to sit down and enjoy them more, and it makes the post-Christmas winter days a little less bleak, to me.

Hugs to everyone who is stressing. . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #76  
Stazon Splitcoast

Makes a break from the January bills too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #77  
Die Cut Diva

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I sent out 40 hand made cards and have gotten 15 back so I guess I'm doing pretty good. I told DH maybe next year I'd cut back too and he said with all the stuff you have in that craftroom why would you want to. He hears from all his coworkers when they get our card and I hear back from family and friends. So if it makes people happy then it's worth it no matter how many I get back. Just do what you have time for and don't stress out or send none or store bought. People just love to hear from each other and it brightens someones day to know someone cares.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 01:49 AM   #78  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy-StamperView Post
I started to feel the same way too, but then decided, "you know what, I like sending the photo of my kids"
We all have pet peeves!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 02:41 AM   #79  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 161 Likes on 128 Posts

...i have sent/handed out over 100 cards (i make them through the year so its not so stressful in Dec!)...so far i have gotten 40 back I don't care if i get them back and the only ones i keep are hand made/special ones...i just love making cards so i don't care if i get any back....

A hint- if you make one/two Christmas cards a week starting in Jan, you will have 52 cards by the end of the year...that doesn't sound too stressful does it?? ;)

hugs

Janet's cards!
Janet's Scents

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2010, 05:46 AM   #80  
Stampin' Fool

I don't send out Christmas cards. Never have. I'd rather send out birthday cards because, to me, those are more personal and one-on-one for the person receiving them. I don't feel guilty about it either.:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes