Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I dont think I will upload again!

Im not sure how any of you feel about this , But Im fairly new to SCS and I love everything about this community. However I have encountered a problem with someones idea of CASE, one of my cards was copied and thats an honor as far as Im concerned, but it was put on their blog and tutorials sold using my original idea. I have been inspired by so many of you, and I loved the idea of sharing hoping to insipe others, but not to have my idea used for proffit with out my permission, and the minimum as far as crediting me. it really makes me unsure about uploading any more projects.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Uh oh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Whoa! That is some nerve to steal and out-and-out profit on it. I don't blame you for not wanting to share. I'm ticked off for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I am so sorry...that is terrible! :( Don't really know any words that can make it better, but I am sure someone will post something that has gone through something similar....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by frou frouView Post
I have encountered a problem with someones idea of CASE, one of my cards was copied and thats an honor as far as Im concerned, but it was put on their blog and tutorials sold using my original idea.
That is why many people put watermarks on their photos before uploading them. If someone tries to copy your work, the watermark cannot be edited out (at least that's my understanding).

Here is a tutorial by Kurtis Amundson, aka, Stampin' Kub explaining how to create a watermark.

If you do a Forum search, I'm sure you will find other thoughts on this subject.

Sorry you had this experience, but please don't let it stop you from uploading here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

But the watermark doesn't stop you from using the design...correct??? I'm trying to understand this whole CASE concept. I'm thinking you can use the design but give proper credit, right :confused: And of course don't distribute/sell said design. Am I on the right track??

UGH I hate this for OP, why can't credit be given...it would save such heartbreak. hugs OP
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Canadian prairie girl, lost in all the wind and snow!

Wow, that takes some nerve. I can't believe someone would be bold enough to do that and then feel right about it. Well, the world is full of all kinds I suppose. Sorry that happened to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle My BelleView Post
But the watermark doesn't stop you from using the design...correct??? I'm trying to understand this whole CASE concept. I'm thinking you can use the design but give proper credit, right :confused: And of course don't distribute/sell said design. Am I on the right track??
As far as I understand ...

No, watermarking does not stop you from using the design. What it does stop you from doing is being able to right click on someone's card, saving it to your hard drive, then posting it on your blog and calling it your own. The person's watermark will be there.

CASEing (in my interpretation) is making an exact duplicate of someone else's work ... same colors, same layout, same images, etc. Credit should be given where credit is due. If you take someone's idea and change the colors, change the images and tweek the layout a little, I don't know if I'd consider that CASEing (again my opinion) but I do think credit for the idea should be given.

I guess I took the OP's comment "one of my cards was copied" literally, as in someone went to her gallery, clicked on the picture to see the full size, then right clicked on the image, saved it to their hard drive, then pasted it on their blog and called it their own. That is stealing for sure!

Unfortunately, that happens a lot on here, and many other sites. It's really a shame that people do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm really sorry that happened to you. I hope you change your mind on sharing because your work is wonderful.

I don't mean to play devil's advocate but I wonder if the person who impolitely CASEd your design didn't know the proper "etiquette"? Perhaps it would help to send her an email asking for proper credit? There are a lot of new people here everyday who don't know the ins-and-outs of "manners" here (God knows I don't and constantly make mistakes). Maybe they didn't mean any foul.

Or maybe I'm wrong and this is a long time blogger / member of SCS and knows the rules and just isn't being nice. In that case, I'm so, so sorry it happened to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm sorry this happened to you. My Mother always said, "What comes around, goes around."

I hope you won't let the actions of one person stop you from sharing. Hugs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm sorry to hear about that and that's just horrible for someone to have the nerve to do something like that. I hope you won't give up on uploading here because believe it or not, I feel that for the most part we all use the "honor" system and I see cards/ideas etc. given credit all the time. I started using watermarking myself (not that it bothers me that much) but maybe it's something you should think about. Anyway, I think that you shouldn't let one bad apple ruin it for the rest. I think a lot of people here would love for you to share your work for inspiration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I feel your pain. Several years I found out a very popular card of mine was CASEd and submitted for a contest. I was so hurt! That made me wonder how often it might be happening when I never even knew about it! I realized I would drive myself nuts worrying about an unknown...but I stopped uploading cards for about 2 years( I'd also just had a baby though, too so I guess it wasn't the ONLY reason LOL!))

In the end, I'm glad I became a part of the online community again. Even at the time I knew it was avery rare exception that someone would take advantage that way, but I learned I have far more to gain by me being able to enjoy and share without worrying about the unethical few.

It sounds like you are VERY talented if someone would take your idea! I think you will gain a lot more in sharing/marketing your ideas than you would lose or that others could make off your idea, remember YOU are the real deal!

A vey wise person (whom many of you know) once told me: "if someone takes your big idea, this was NOT your last BIG idea!" While I wouldn't get excited about that happening, it showed me I should apply all my energy to what lies ahead, not what's behind. Sometimes it is worth trying to get back credit for what's justly yours, but not always to the point you don't have time to nurture new, even bigger and better things!

I hope this can be of help/comfort to you, I'm not saying at all don't be upset, I 've been there, girl (and ding dang i was mad!), but I really hope sharing how I finally allowed myself back in the game would be encouraging, I accomplished many stamping goals this year, (things that weren't even goals before, beyond dreams even!) that woudn't have been possible if I didn't share online

and yes, be SURE to get a watermark!! hugs!!!
Please visit my blog "Hands, Head, and Heart" at:
http://melaniemuenchinger.blogspot.com/
Check out my Youtube channel for stamping and cardmaking videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MelanieMuenchinger/videos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I'm pretty sure I know which one you're talking about since one project in particular jumped out at me as soon as I looked in your gallery. It's the same project that "jumped out at me" when I saw it on someone else's blog.

I can certainly understand why you're upset. I would be, too. I suggest you contact the person and politely request that she quit selling your part of "her" idea. It appears to me that she's a businesswoman who should understand your frustration.

Please don't let this keep you from sharing in the future!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Where the Kookaburra's sit in the old gum tree's...
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melmelView Post
I feel your pain. Several years I found out a very popular card of mine was CASEd and submitted for a contest. I was so hurt! That made me wonder how often it might be happening when I never even knew about it! I realized I would drive myself nuts worrying about an unknown...but I stopped uploading cards for about 2 years( I'd also just had a baby though, too so I guess it wasn't the ONLY reason LOL!))

In the end, I'm glad I became a part of the online community again. Even at the time I knew it was avery rare exception that someone would take advantage that way, but I learned I have far more to gain by me being able to enjoy and share without worrying about the unethical few.

It sounds like you are VERY talented if someone would take your idea! I think you will gain a lot more in sharing/marketing your ideas than you would lose or that others could make off your idea, remember YOU are the real deal!

A vey wise person (whom many of you know) once told me: "if someone takes your big idea, this was NOT your last BIG idea!" While I wouldn't get excited about that happening, it showed me I should apply all my energy to what lies ahead, not what's behind. Sometimes it is worth trying to get back credit for what's justly yours, but not always to the point you don't have time to nurture new, even bigger and better things!

I hope this can be of help/comfort to you, I'm not saying at all don't be upset, I 've been there, girl (and ding dang i was mad!), but I really hope sharing how I finally allowed myself back in the game would be encouraging, I accomplished many stamping goals this year, (things that weren't even goals before, beyond dreams even!) that woudn't have been possible if I didn't share online

Incredibly stated. Thanks for sharing your view and thoughts. I for one am certainly glad that you did not stop sharing, I LOVE your creativity.

To the OP, I'm sorry this has happened to you, but as others have said, please don't let it prevent you from posting your creations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophia_77View Post
I'm pretty sure I know which one you're talking about since one project in particular jumped out at me as soon as I looked in your gallery. It's the same project that "jumped out at me" when I saw it on someone else's blog.

I can certainly understand why you're upset. I would be, too. I suggest you contact the person and politely request that she quit selling your part of "her" idea. It appears to me that she's a businesswoman who should understand your frustration.

Please don't let this keep you from sharing in the future!
I totally agree with your advice.
It wasn't to hard for me to find the blog you were talking about...I am bored and have no life tonight! I agree that this is a straight case! Don't get me wrong, I have cased alot in my time, but not for profit. I would email her, like Sophia said. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

Ok, even though it is totally wrong that she is selling your idea, if you read down to the next post, she said when she first put the pics of the tag up that it was cased. She said it was completely cased from you and gave the direct link to it in your gallery. Again, I think it is wrong to sell your idea, but I thought I would let you know that she did give you credit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 10:32 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Thank you fo rthe clarification!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin'HappyInCTView Post
As far as I understand ...

No, watermarking does not stop you from using the design. What it does stop you from doing is being able to right click on someone's card, saving it to your hard drive, then posting it on your blog and calling it your own. The person's watermark will be there.

CASEing (in my interpretation) is making an exact duplicate of someone else's work ... same colors, same layout, same images, etc. Credit should be given where credit is due. If you take someone's idea and change the colors, change the images and tweek the layout a little, I don't know if I'd consider that CASEing (again my opinion) but I do think credit for the idea should be given.

I guess I took the OP's comment "one of my cards was copied" literally, as in someone went to her gallery, clicked on the picture to see the full size, then right clicked on the image, saved it to their hard drive, then pasted it on their blog and called it their own. That is stealing for sure!

Unfortunately, that happens a lot on here, and many other sites. It's really a shame that people do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm glad you were bored enough to have the time to find it, and see that she originally did give some credit. However, I think she should be emailed, and asked to stop selling the tutorial.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 12:40 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

So sorry this happened to you! Ooohhh, I would be hopping mad, but like was said, you obviously have the right stuff, so you will find better things! I think you should email her as well, and politley(if yu can muster it, not sure I could, LOL) ask her to stop selling your idea. At least that will make youfeel better, at least a little. Again, sorry this happened to you, and now I must go search so i can see who did this to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 12:55 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I was able to find her blog as well and it appears that she is selling a tutorial on how to make the box. I don't know her from Adam, but she did change the colors, ribbon, and used microbeads instead of glitter on hers. I don't consider it a complete CASE and she definitely gave credit where it was due. In all honesty, there's only so much you can do to that image without everyone looking like they've CASEd each other. That said, your tag is super adorable!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 03:08 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I think it's a bit naughty and certainly lacking in etiquette to use someone's idea so clearly if that is the case. however, and I mean no offence, but none of us has designed the new wheel, everything we do is influenced by something-be it another card, or some wrapping paper, or a shop window or a magazine advert.....

I honestly can't say anything I do is original as it's all from this whole mixture of sources over the years-even how my garden looks will affect my cardmaking.

I sometimes see clear influence in someone's work that looks say very like a 'known' designer, but are they copying in a bad way or are these ideas all out there to help create this amazing meltpot of ideas and inspiration we all have to tap into? Who says 2 or more people can't have the same idea anyway-you'll find historically several people tried to design the telephone, tried to reach the North Pole first, try to find a cure for cancer etc etc.

We live in a world of billions, there's very, very few original ideas and whilst it's understandable to feel protective of our creations, it's a giant leap to determine that only we would have ever thought of that idea-the reality is probably thousands of people have-yesterday, last week, 20 years ago and so on. Be proud of what you do but keep realistic too-if you share your creations you are sharing them-you can't then in reality try and take it back once it's shared. Sharing's a nice thing though and it's supposed to be one of those wonderful win, win situations, when everyone feels good. If you don't then maybe a re-think is in order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 03:19 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

... .... .... I'm not saying at all don't be upset, I 've been there, girl (and ding dang i was mad!), but I really hope sharing how I finally allowed myself back in the game would be encouraging, I accomplished many stamping goals this year, (things that weren't even goals before, beyond dreams even!) that woudn't have been possible if I didn't share online

Melanie has stated this so well ... I must simply say "Ditto" to her previous statment. And yes ... I do understand your pain. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 03:28 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

Thank you to all for such kind and uplifting words, Im NOT mad the idea was cased after all that is why we share, to inspire and show others what can be done with our stamps etc. I felt a little confused as to the "right and wrong" way to make a buck from it. Im fairly new as I said before, and maybe this is the norm, but I was shocked and a little hurt.
I just want to say that her blog is wonderful and she is talented I dont want to slam her at all, I dont think it was done in a mean spirit, Ive just never encountered this before, but I will get over it, and let it go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 04:09 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have great creations in your gallery.
I am sorry that someone did this to you.
But I am on the side that when we post our creations on the internet, someone is going to see it and CASE it. If they made the box themselves and changed something about it, then I don't think it is a straight CASing.
Are her dimensions exactly the same and so on.
Looking through the Gallery and seeing alot of new ideas pop up on SCS, once one makes a cute project, many will follow. And yes, some of them get turned into tutorials and sold.
Everytime one one these threads pop up, I always have to say, if you really want to protect your idea and not have it CASed, then you cannot show it on the internet.
I had a card I created a few years ago and i posted it. Someone CASed it and changed the colors and added some different embellishments. She then entered a stampin contest and won. At first I as upset a bit, then I realized that it was my own fault for posting it to begin with and I could have sent it in for that same contest but didn't.
I hope you still share your creations as they are awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 04:35 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa_AggieView Post
I was able to find her blog as well and it appears that she is selling a tutorial on how to make the box. I don't know her from Adam, but she did change the colors, ribbon, and used microbeads instead of glitter on hers. I don't consider it a complete CASE and she definitely gave credit where it was due. In all honesty, there's only so much you can do to that image without everyone looking like they've CASEd each other. That said, your tag is super adorable!
I have no idea who y'all are talking about as I wouldn't even know how to go about looking for this blog post. lol

Here's what I would do: I'd send her an email and ask her to stop selling the tutorial for your work. If you don't like what you hear back, I would start posting the tutorial for free. Then no one will buy it and you'll get your credit where it's due.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 07:40 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just found the blog....wasn't too hard using search features. And she does give credit for the tag design.

I think she's just selling the tutorial for the box, not the tags themselves.

My Blog -- Shannon's Sentiments
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 08:01 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

OP, I'm sorry you were hurt by all this. :(

Here's my take on it.... I would be THRILLED that someone found my work good enough to CASE (just like you did). But since I have no time or plans to sell my ideas, I'd be over the moon happy that even more people found my design good enought to pay money for!!! I guess I would have liked to have gotten credit, but I wouldn't begrudge a fellow stamper making a few bucks off my design, particularly in this tough economy.

But that's just me. If I had wanted to sell it myself, I would feel completely differently. (((HUGS!)))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 08:26 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

i just took a look at your beautiful creation as well as the tutorial for sale and i do think that was wrong but i can say you're work is beautiful and so creative. i have just joined the stamp to spend and the way you used your crimper for the cupcake wrap is genius. i think i might try something like this for my kids valentines since they won't be allowed to pass out candy or food items. this is a great creation and thank you for sharing this with all of us. mary btw i'm new here too i just haven't started making anything or trying to upload it but it is on my to do lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #29  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i consider myself a good googler and i couldn't find the posts/blog, etc.; but wanted to offer this:
it sounds like the blogger is selling a tutorial to make something that appears to have been cased by the OP. the OP didn't write the tutorial, the blogger did. and that's what she's selling.

i certainly understand the OPs emotions about the situation, and she should certainly contact the blogger and express her disappointment, however, i think the tutorial belongs to the writer/blogger, doesn't it? i would think it appropriate that the blogger notes (or maybe already has - we're making assumptions here that she hasn't given credit) on the tute that it was inspired by a project on the net by OP. and it would have been good manners had she asked permission first... but, you gotta talk to the blogger if you want any changes.

i hope i'm not sounding insensitive - i don't mean to be that way. i've posted lots of stuff to the net, and a blogger has used one of my templates to create a project she now sells as a kit... i'm not happy about it, but i posted it freely on the net. people are gonna do what they're gonna do.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:25 AM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Melanie said it perfectly so I'll ditto her, too. I share because I love what I do and love to share. There will always be some bad apples who will take advantage of it, but the good ones really outweigh the bad ones. The opportunities I have been given in the last year still complete amaze me and it wouldn't have been possible if I hadn't jumped in and started sharing.

Last edited by NikiE; 01-22-2009 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

I believe she is selling the the tutorial for an entire ensemble box, tags, wrapped candy etc where she included the tag. However, there is also a direct link where she states she cased them from here- and when you click on here.... it goes right to the tag on split coast. So credit for the creation was given. Should she have asked you first?.... no doubt she should have.
But again Melanie said it so nicely and I for one am glad to see her back ... i still remember that fabulous cradle (LOL)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #32  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by frou frouView Post
Im not sure how any of you feel about this , But Im fairly new to SCS and I love everything about this community. However I have encountered a problem with someones idea of CASE, one of my cards was copied and thats an honor as far as Im concerned, but it was put on their blog and tutorials sold using my original idea. I have been inspired by so many of you, and I loved the idea of sharing hoping to insipe others, but not to have my idea used for proffit with out my permission, and the minimum as far as crediting me. it really makes me unsure about uploading any more projects.
I'm sorry that happened but I hope you won't stop sharing. :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have the tutorial in question. There are directions for everything, not just the box. I'd be pissed too. I believe in sharing, but that's just me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #34  
Crimping Master

Thats interesting, I was told the tutorial is only of the box and lid. I truly just want to put this behind me and move forward. I had no idea that anyone would find the blog and do not want her to be attacked in any way..thats soooo not the kind of person I am. I just wanted to vent to the only people on the planet who could truly understand!!
Im a "rookie" around here, and this was a lesson learned.
Reply With Quote Likes