Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-31-2015, 01:14 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I didn't grow up in the Show Me state...

... but you would think so because of all of the stamp sets I overlook or pass by, then fall in love with once I see them demonstrated or used in a card or layout

I wish I could hone my ability to see the possibilities in a stamp set without this enabling step, but I can't. Is anyone else the same?

My latest is a Altenew flower stamp set that I thankfully could have lived without � until I saw someone use it in a YouTube video :o But then, what fun would a hobby be without falling in love a few times a week?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2015, 02:31 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
... but you would think so because of all of the stamp sets I overlook or pass by, then fall in love with once I see them demonstrated or used in a card or layout

I wish I could hone my ability to see the possibilities in a stamp set without this enabling step, but I can't. Is anyone else the same?

My latest is a Altenew flower stamp set that I thankfully could have lived without � until I saw someone use it in a YouTube video :o But then, what fun would a hobby be without falling in love a few times a week?
Honestly I think most of is look for inspiration before we can get going. Most times its seeing what the DT's come up with that gets us interested in a stamp set. Then you use their inspiration to go further. Sometimes I buy A stamp that looks nice then sit there thinking mmmmm what now, so I go searching for ideas. Then it all starts to fall into place. You are amongst the majority I reckon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2015, 03:28 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I not only need the enabling step, I need a brain that could figure out all the things I would need to buy to make a card that looks like the one that sold me on the set.

And then I need a site where others Review sets and mention challenges they had using the set. For instance, i have a new set for which i need a circle frame of a certain size. But it won't fit any of the various dies, punches and templates i have for making circle frames. Obviously the artist who made the card that sold me on the set gets her sets free, in which case she can afford an electronic cutter that cuts any size circle frame you could possibly want. She only has to make the card once. I have to make the card many times, in order to justify the outrageous cost of the set.

We need a YELP.com site for Stampers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2015, 03:35 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahbView Post
I not only need the enabling step, I need a brain that could figure out all the things I would need to buy to make a card that looks like the one that sold me on the set...

Yes! haha that's why my preference is creators who help you stretch what you have or encourage you to find other approaches to the project. I always try to think of more than a few uses for something before I buy it, so Pinterest pages and the galleries here that show lots of different approaches are so helpful -- even if they do make me want to buy buy buy ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2015, 05:25 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I am right with you...a good recent example would in the thread about dog sets. The second set I mentioned-by PB...I had seen, thought about, waffled...and dragged myself away from. Till someone here used it. Bam. Right into my wishlist and how I knew about it to suggest.

Silhouette stamps are a good example-I have very few. I am not attracted to them for some reason but then I see them used and I want it.

I have cards in my favorites right now for the purpose of reminding me to buy something-and then as a suggestion as to how to use it.

I totally agree with the above. What a DT is for...sell the product!

Bahb-Too bad there isnt a perfect layers ruler system in rounds. Hey-could you use a kid's compass to make it and fussy cut it? I know round is hard for me to fussy cut but a lot of people are much better at it than I am.

I have a Martha Stweart thing that is supposed to cut circles in so many sizes as to be "all"...it seems to work like a spirograph except you are using a blade instead of a pen in the hole and it just goes around...I struggled with it when I first got it and put it down...but it may work for you.

I do the same thing. I have to be able to envision more than one use for a stamp. To the chagrin of the LS staff...I have picked up many a stamp, "So cute! No idea how I would use it" and back it goes. I am not inhuman-I do get maybe 3 in a year just because. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2015, 09:16 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

LOL! I did grow up and still live in the Show-Me-State which is now my new excuse for being so confused when I go to my SU! stamp club and my demonstrator totally does that to me!

In fact, I have stamp club this afternoon and although I have my list all written out, she'll demo something and then I'll sit there staring at the catalog, confused trying to figure out what to order!

Hang on. Let me overthink this.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wavejumper, I have that same MS circle thing! I thought it would be wonderful to have endless sizes of circles. Too bad, though, I just can't work it correctly! My circles just don't meet at the point I started. But I had to have it! Now I have it, and don't know what to do with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2015, 09:15 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

I am there with you. I have a collection of printed sketches (I know, old school) and I thumb through them and still have a hard time seeing it. I've realized I'm not really creative - I'm just good at CASEing.

The more experience I get with different types of cards and techniques, the better I can see the potential of a product though. I will be attempting to go through all the tutorials on SCS to get a broader base of experience. Hopefully this will not be negated by aging and memory issues (I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, nor where I left my reading glasses). I better get on it, huh?

Ever see those cute cards made with a 2 inch circle punch - the ones where someone made a panda eating in a bamboo forest from 1 circle punch? Or huge bouquet of pretty flowers made from a common circle punch? How do they come up with that stuff??? I have a hard time just getting the clothes out of the dryer before they turn into a wrinkled mess - let alone find 5 different ways to use a circle punch to create a landscape...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2015, 05:18 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by BahbView Post
I not only need the enabling step, I need a brain that could figure out all the things I would need to buy to make a card that looks like the one that sold me on the set.

And then I need a site where others Review sets and mention challenges they had using the set. For instance, i have a new set for which i need a circle frame of a certain size. But it won't fit any of the various dies, punches and templates i have for making circle frames. Obviously the artist who made the card that sold me on the set gets her sets free, in which case she can afford an electronic cutter that cuts any size circle frame you could possibly want. She only has to make the card once. I have to make the card many times, in order to justify the outrageous cost of the set.

Bahb,
I have a Cameo. It was worth every $$ I spent on it. It has unleashed the creativity in me a 1000 times. I don't buy dies I buy 99 cent or less cut files and make my own cuts any size I want. I alter the designs to fit my needs! I saw the great tutorial that Dawn did today on the double gatefold card. Well, I said I think I have a cut file that will make this type card! Well yes, I do have a file and will adapt it to do this card in about 1 minute. The Cameo allows me to make the card quickly and then I can decorate it with other cut files or stamps! I then can send cards to many people who love to get a card I made! Now with my Misti I have become a better stamper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2015, 06:22 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

What a great thread! Nice to there are others who have some of the same issues. The MISTI is an example...so far I have resisted, but....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2015, 06:31 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I am never sorry about stamp sets, but I am VERY sorry about products that I fall for, like all the stuff I bought for art journaling, the multiple paints, the very expensive oil crayons, multiple Gellatos, all stuff that really isn't my craft style. And tools, geez! I insisted I needed things for Christmas and then never used them once. But I saw it on YouTube, right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2015, 06:31 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Ever see that video on You Tube where the woman is sitting at her desk asking why she's got all this stuff, because she saw it on You Tube?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2015, 07:31 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I, too, am a visual learner. I can clearly identify stamps that I like - that's easy - but I can't quickly figure out how to use them or many of the tools and techniques out there. I find live demos at shows the most helpful, but just looking at posted videos, or at pictures on the web showing how someone else used a stamp I own is inspiring, and almost essential to get me going.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2015, 07:36 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default It made me Happy!

Saw it on YouTube...had to have it....went and bought it....and it made me happy just to have gotten it....then...."what the heck was I thinking". Mom and I are always quoting her and having a really good laugh!

I have a lot of stamps never used because I need examples (in my style) of how to use them creatively. I am much more creative with ephemera collage work than with pictures (stamps).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2015, 07:50 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm low on inspiration/enabling on stamp purchases from others. I have to be careful about letting others enable me because too often in the past I just HAD to buy that stamp for THAT card and then I never use the stamp again because it really wasn't my style. Typically, I just happen to see a stamp that catches my eye and sparks my inspiration. If I know there are multiple uses then I'll buy it, otherwise it becomes a faded wish.

As for figuring things out - that is what I love to do. I'll work and work on something until I figure out how it was done, make one sample and then I may not make another one. I'm the MacGuyver of our stamp group - they let me figure it out and then tell them how it worked or really sucked "for me". I'll modify anything (tools, stamps, products) just to see what happens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2015, 08:30 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
Ah, this explains why I never see the possibilities of a set until after it has been discontinued! I spent several of my formative years (Kindergarten & 1st grade) living in Missouri.

Unfortunately for me, my old brain does not remember the tips and tricks when I sit down to craft. That's why I'm starting a craft journal to keep photos of things I'd like to duplicate.

As for circles, I've had really good luck with the EK Success Curvy Cutter system. I love that it can make big scrapbook size circles as well as smaller ones. Unfortunately, it is bulky, requires a heavy glass base and, worst of all, it is discontinued. When I run out of replacement blades I'll have to come up with another way to make circles as I am not able to do a decent hand-cut circle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2015, 08:31 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

I buy so many stamp sets that never saw ink except to be added to my stamp index notebook. Bought so many tools and supplies that I saw on You-Tube and then never used, but thought I HAD to have it. The two best investments for creativity for me was the MISTI and the Silhouette Cameo. I bought the SpellBinders die sets called Pawing Around of a dog and the cat sets. There are two hearts that cut out the dog or the cat and then a fancy lacy looking heart with paw prints and tiny hearts. But no die for the actual heart for a backing mat. I couldn't see me fussy cutting for those dies 20 times, so I scanned the heart, traced it in the Cameo and now have perfect hearts for my dies. BTW I did try the SpellBinders heart dies and the lacy heart dies, and those dies did not work with the hearts from the dog and cat dies. I bet you SB will come out with a new heart die set that will work perfectly with the cat & dog dies, but I wasn't about to give them more of my money when I thought the heart die should have been included in the sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2015, 10:31 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

[QUOTE=katzarm;21067990 The two best investments for creativity for me was the MISTI and the Silhouette Cameo. [/QUOTE]

Same here. I know it sounds backwards that these higher-cost items are SAVING me money, but it's actually true. Especially if you consider your time as a resource and how much of that they've saved me (because I'm not constantly having to do things over to fix mistakes, etc).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

The biggest cost savings for me is the MISTI - I would find it hard to stamp without it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2015, 06:28 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Will anyone evn beileve me whn I say I got a Misti for my burthday in Fbuary and havent used it yet? But yo be fair I also have a copic air brush, Silhouette jewel setter I havent played it with yet too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2015, 09:42 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol WView Post
Same here. I know it sounds backwards that these higher-cost items are SAVING me money, but it's actually true.
The more I learn about my Cameo, the less I spend on stamps and dies. Truely - this machine is now saving me $$. I have scanned some of my stamps into it also, so I can print and cut on the Cameo (no Mysti). If I could only have one tool (cause I own them all!), it would be the Cameo. I have all the nestibilitie dies in my Cameo. I just collected shapes and created my own nestibilites and frames, also the stitched look - created in the Cameo. I swear there is nothing that machine can't do.

But I do have a Spellbinder elaborate die addiction... with all the swirls and embossing ... and intricate filigree... A Cameo doesn't give me the love that those intricate dies require. They keep the Big Shot on the table.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2015, 10:16 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
The more I learn about my Cameo, the less I spend on stamps and dies. Truely - this machine is now saving me $$. I have scanned some of my stamps into it also, so I can print and cut on the Cameo (no Mysti). If I could only have one tool (cause I own them all!), it would be the Cameo. I have all the nestibilitie dies in my Cameo. I just collected shapes and created my own nestibilites and frames, also the stitched look - created in the Cameo. I swear there is nothing that machine can't do.

But I do have a Spellbinder elaborate die addiction... with all the swirls and embossing ... and intricate filigree... A Cameo doesn't give me the love that those intricate dies require. They keep the Big Shot on the table.
I know what you mean -- I still buy some elaborate dies either for their super delicate lines (Memory Box!) or swirls and embossing (Spellbinders!).

Do you have any photos of cuts with your stitched look? I've been fiddling around trying to create a file of stitched shapes myself and I'd love to see what you've done!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2015, 12:27 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol WView Post
Do you have any photos of cuts with your stitched look? I've been fiddling around trying to create a file of stitched shapes myself and I'd love to see what you've done!
I did not take pics of those cards. But playing with the line setting, doubling the line and putting it right next to the first stitch line (offset right on top of the last line) was one way. I also did one where I made the line very heavy, and then traced and cut the tiny stitch out. The Big Shot creates the stitch from embossing- the Cam can't do that. But the cuts picks up ink, so the stitches are nice when I blend ink over them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Will anyone evn beileve me whn I say I got a Misti for my burthday in Fbuary and havent used it yet? But yo be fair I also have a copic air brush, Silhouette jewel setter I havent played it with yet too!
You mean EVERYtime you ink a stamp it stamps you a clean image? Hmmmmm, what brand of stamps are you using, what brand of ink? You never throw anything away because the image didn't come out crisp and clean the first time you stamped it? Hmmmmmmm. I want some of that kind of stamping to happen to me, because I am tired of the MISTI magnets biting my fingers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2015, 02:09 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Yea, those magnets are heavy duty. I use my wood stove as another crafting station, and I set those things onto the stove top. I had a devil of a time getting them back off. Had to pull them to the edge, and tip them off the surface.
Reply With Quote Likes