Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-15-2008, 06:58 PM   #41  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this will cheer you up some - hurricane shoes.

Linda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #42  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just talked to one of my nursing school group and she is about 40 miles from Shreveport and just got power back today. Have another member in Houston that is still without power. I live north of Dallas and we just had some mild rain and winds. Continuing to pray for those affected.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2008, 04:22 AM   #43  
Watercolor Wizard

Default An OHIO report

I live in Ohio, and we got a good dose of Ike as well...hard to believe in our totally inland state. My power just came back on this morning at 4:00. It went off at 1:30pm on Sunday. Kids are still out of school today since over 200,000 Ohioans are out of power. We're just lucky we live in a newer neighborhood with few trees. Most of the problems here has been falling trees, which killed three people in Ohio. I can't imagine how many chainsaw injuries the ERs are going to see in the coming weeks.

Our loss of property and life because of trees and fires will be nothing compared to the coast, though.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all who have been affected, but especially those suffering loss of loved ones or injuries. And also to those who haven't heard from their loved ones yet. The panic and fear and helplessness of that are just terrible at times like this.

But the compassion and courage and help offered are all pretty wonderful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2008, 04:37 AM   #44  
Matboard Maniac

I am so thankful that we had our electricity restored last night because I woke up this morning and did my two favorite thing -- check the Stampin' Up! and splitcoaststampers websites for updates. I haven't been able to do this since Hurricane Ike struck last Thursday and I have been having withdrawals. It truly helps me get back to normal life after being without electricity for 5 days in the heat of Southeast Texas. We lost part of our roof and have lots of water damage to our home and cars, but we are definitely lucky compared to others around us. We did get our power back last night, so we are thankful. The sad thing for me personally is that all my scrapbook paper is ruined from water damage. I had 2-3 packages of every SU color. :( I just wanted to let you guys know how much I love this site and look forward to checking it each day. Again, it really helps me get achieve a sense of normalcy. I love you guys!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2008, 05:17 AM   #45  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkirksmithView Post
I am so thankful that we had our electricity restored last night because I woke up this morning and did my two favorite thing -- check the Stampin' Up! and splitcoaststampers websites for updates. I haven't been able to do this since Hurricane Ike struck last Thursday and I have been having withdrawals. It truly helps me get back to normal life after being without electricity for 5 days in the heat of Southeast Texas. We lost part of our roof and have lots of water damage to our home and cars, but we are definitely lucky compared to others around us. We did get our power back last night, so we are thankful. The sad thing for me personally is that all my scrapbook paper is ruined from water damage. I had 2-3 packages of every SU color. :( I just wanted to let you guys know how much I love this site and look forward to checking it each day. Again, it really helps me get achieve a sense of normalcy. I love you guys!

Oh, I am so glad you're okay and back on line! I hope we hear from more like you as power comes back on. We in Ohio have been thinking how lucky we are compared to you folks down south. At least you have power, now, and can start the long task of rebuilding.

Hopefully insurance will replace the paper for you. That must be a very sad sight!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2008, 06:07 AM   #46  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi all from Houston.

I made it through okay with just some minor damage. Galveston is a mess with over 1,500 historical sites damaged and Crystal Beach which is a favorite vacation spot is literally destroyed along with most of Chambers County and parts of Houston. There was a major thunderstorm the day after the hurricane which ended up flooding many parts of Houston that had come through the hurricane okay. There are over 1.5 million people without electricity (over 2 million at the worst point in time) and lines for gasoline are incredibly long. We are being told that we may be without power for three to four weeks. I just went on our local electric company's website to see what the outages look like and only 588,000 people have had power restored. Even if you are lucky enough to have a generator it is difficult to get gas since the gas stations need electricity to pump gas. I've been running mine as little as possible - just enough to keep my groceries from spoiling and to cook dinner.

I have had to go to several different parts of town and my neighborhood (Northwest Houston-Jersey Village) was very lucky - the worst I saw in my area was downed fences and power lines and trees and a few houses missing shingles. In my dad's neighborhood (Southwest Houston-Meyerland) I was dodging downed trees in the streets. Some houses had flooded and 100% electricity is out. In my boyfriend's neighborhood (off I-45 and Tidwell) the flooding is awful. Lots of trees through houses and several feet of water in homes, mostly due to the second storm.

I work in the Galleria which was one of the first places to have power restored so my son and I are enjoying electricity, airconditioning and television for a change. Luckily a cold front came through and it hasn't been too hot here.

Keep Houston and Galveston in your prayers.

Julie Kirk
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #47  
Watercolor Wizard

Julie,

Welcome back, and thanks for letting us know what is going on down there.

((((Hugs))))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2008, 07:41 AM   #48  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Finally Internet! At work, anyways. I've been going through withdrawal since late Friday night. Quite a few people are still without power but we were lucky and had it restored at home Saturday afternoon. Folks have been dropping by the past few days to "share the air" and tell stories of "The Night of Ike."

Wow! That was a loud storm!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillieDeeView Post
Finally Internet! At work, anyways. I've been going through withdrawal since late Friday night. Quite a few people are still without power but we were lucky and had it restored at home Saturday afternoon. Folks have been dropping by the past few days to "share the air" and tell stories of "The Night of Ike."

Wow! That was a loud storm!
Good to hear you are a-o-k!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 07:03 PM   #50  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just so you all know... Ike reached as far north as OHIO!!! That's right, Ohio - as in next to Indiana, just south of Michigan... I live in SW Ohio and we lost our power Sunday afternoon, following wind gusts over 76 MPG. Unfortunately, we didn't see it coming or even knew what was happening (yes, we were out shopping wondering why the lights kept blinking in the stores... duh)! No rain, just WIND (and lots of it). There are thousands of families still in the dark up here. Our power was restored last night around 9:00. Thank goodness I have a resourceful husband and grew up going on 2 week family camping trips!!! So, 6 loads of laundry and one really NICE HOT shower later, thank you Mr. Edison!

My heartfelt prayers for those who were hit worse and suffered more...

CK
Reply With Quote Likes