Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-30-2023, 09:58 AM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 737 Likes on 358 Posts
Default Huge change for the site come Sept 1st

If you have not read it, I suggest you go look at the home page for a big announcement. And not a good one.

I am very very unhappy about it. :(
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by wavejumper:
LizBeth1976 (08-30-2023), UnderstandBlue (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 11:23 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,809 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Margot, big changed indeed. I do not like change a lot. I was active on Stamp Nation for a few years and it began changing a lot, so I left. I was active on Stamp TV, made many friends, then changes happened. The site closed and went to Facebook, and I did not. I came here needing a new place. I found it and have been happy. I am not a fan of change. Hang in there Lydia! I will remain and support this site all I can. We have the Splitcoast link on our Amazon shopping. We shop Amazon quite a bit.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lovinpaper:
sf9erfan (09-13-2023), UnderstandBlue (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 12:55 PM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,553 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
Margot, big changed indeed. I do not like change a lot. I was active on Stamp Nation for a few years and it began changing a lot, so I left. I was active on Stamp TV, made many friends, then changes happened. The site closed and went to Facebook, and I did not. I came here needing a new place. I found it and have been happy. I am not a fan of change. Hang in there Lydia! I will remain and support this site all I can. We have the Splitcoast link on our Amazon shopping. We shop Amazon quite a bit.
Thank you! I know many members are not on Facebook so it's nice to be in a place with no algorithm or all that nonsense. I love seeing information in chronological order
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 6 users liked this post by UnderstandBlue:
Chinocookie (08-31-2023), gaylestamps (08-31-2023), leibetty (09-05-2023), miss (08-31-2023), sf9erfan (09-13-2023), shirlb19 (09-07-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 01:00 PM   #4  
mof
Glitter Queen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Not happy here, either, but change happens!! I joined the Fan Club again and will support the site anyway I can - Splitcoast has been a source of information, news (good and bad),ideas and inspiration, humor and laughter for me for years. What a wonderful resource!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by mof:
Chinocookie (08-31-2023), shirlb19 (09-07-2023), UnderstandBlue (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 01:16 PM   #5  

Quote:

Originally Posted by mofView Post
Not happy here, either, but change happens!! I joined the Fan Club again and will support the site anyway I can - Splitcoast has been a source of information, news (good and bad),ideas and inspiration, humor and laughter for me for years. What a wonderful resource!
Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
gutsport56 (09-01-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 04:20 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 671 Likes on 414 Posts

In the longer term, once everyone has dealt with the shock of this axing and all the changes, I'm happy to help as a volunteer. It could be useful technically, as I'm in the southern hemisphere, and could be working on stuff while you sleep. I'm on Android phone and tablet. Just putting it out there for the future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2023, 04:56 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Lydia your amazon link in your signature is not working.

I just wish Internet had given US the opportunity to think of ways to cut costs or make money. There are a lot of smart people here who could have brainstormed before we had to lose team members.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by wavejumper:
cjzim (09-02-2023), dini (08-31-2023), gaylestamps (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 05:38 AM   #8  

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Lydia your amazon link in your signature is not working.

I just wish Internet had given US the opportunity to think of ways to cut costs or make money. There are a lot of smart people here who could have brainstormed before we had to lose team members.
We do too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2023, 06:16 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Question

Quote:

If you have not read it, I suggest you go look at the home page for a big announcement. And not a good one.

I did look at the Home page but couldn't find anything about any changes. Has it been removed?
UPDATE: I found it now......it's on the scrolling bit on the home page (upper left side). It's very disconcerting and ominous. I feel so sorry for the team and hope they'll find their way through this. It seems like doors to crafters keep getting slammed shut in our faces; forums, online shops, etc. and all because the big business guys don't find us profitable enough. Viva SCSS!!!!

Last edited by JaneUK; 08-31-2023 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: update
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by JaneUK:
jandjccc (09-12-2023), shirlb19 (09-07-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 06:19 AM   #10  

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneUKView Post
I did look at the Home page but couldn't find anything about any changes. Has it been removed?
Nope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2023, 06:26 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Quote:

Thank you so much for posting this information. I very rarely go to Home Page as I just browse the Forums.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2023, 06:29 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
Nope.
I along with others find this information difficult to find since it is on a rotating thread and not always seen when on the Home Page. Is there a way to post this information at top of all forums as a huge announcement so all can see?? Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2023, 06:33 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneUKView Post
It's up at top left side. The topics rotates along with other articles, you have to wait for article to appear you can click on the arrow to advance for article. News from SCS is topic of article
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2023, 06:45 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

I am one of the people who does not use Facebook or anything connected to social media out of choice. However, I read the forums everyday, look forward to the favorites every Sunday and have accessed the site many, many times to look up card ideas and/or "recipes". I have learned many new techniques too. I try to post replies to every card I see that inspires me. I do not post my own cards because they are almost always a CASE..........I have no artistist talent but I can copy just about anything. I probably should have been a forger!

I had an issue a while back and Lydia worked on it and found the answer for me. It took a while but she got it done. I do not know what I would do without this community of friends who share their talents and general knowledge with everyone. I will join the Fan Club immediately and do whatever else I can to help. Very sad news indeed.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by rockybeta:
gaylestamps (08-31-2023), shirlb19 (09-07-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 07:37 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockybetaView Post
I am one of the people who does not use Facebook or anything connected to social media out of choice. However, I read the forums everyday, look forward to the favorites every Sunday and have accessed the site many, many times to look up card ideas and/or "recipes". I have learned many new techniques too. I try to post replies to every card I see that inspires me.
Ditto!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2023, 07:37 AM   #16  

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
I along with others find this information difficult to find since it is on a rotating thread and not always seen when on the Home Page. Is there a way to post this information at top of all forums as a huge announcement so all can see?? Just a thought.
That's a good idea. I'll do that.
Reply With Quote Likes
lesliespringer (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 08:54 AM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,400 Likes on 526 Posts

I'm so sad to hear about this change. This site is promoted by me at every card class I hold, because it is welcoming and a wonderful place to truly learn papercrafting. It is superior to Facebook and other social media sites because of how its organized, its challenges and events, and its strong community. Names are familiar here. Having never left where I grew up (my parents live just a mile from me in the same home in which I grew up), knowing the people around me and those people being connected in some way is the way I know life. You know that Kevin Bacon game of the six degrees of separation? You could easily play that where I live and it would be just 4 degrees or less of separation! SCS feels like that to me and it's why I love it. I will continue to tell every papercrafter I know about this site. It is truly a gem!!

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by cnsteele:
bzzzeee (10-01-2023), cjzim (09-02-2023), sf9erfan (09-13-2023), shirlb19 (09-07-2023), UnderstandBlue (09-01-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 10:51 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Received 870 Likes on 518 Posts

Just went to leave a message on the announcement, and after typing it all in, it said I couldn't leave a message at this time, so I will try to leave it here. It won't be the same, as I can't remember everything I typed out.
My heart goes out to all of you! Just wanted to let you know that you are cared about and appreciated! Thank you for sharing all of your knowledge, insight and kindness with us! You are in my thoughts, Dina and Lori, and Lydia also, as I know this must be hard on her too. Thank you for teaching us about Art and for giving us a welcome place to chat with each other and share our creativity!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 7 users liked this post by hoptownracer1:
bzzzeee (10-01-2023), Chinocookie (09-01-2023), cjzim (09-02-2023), gaylestamps (08-31-2023), Karen3000 (08-31-2023), shirlb19 (09-07-2023), UnderstandBlue (09-01-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 11:02 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Received 870 Likes on 518 Posts

Is all we have to do to shop to benefit Splitcoast on Amazon is to click on the link on the home page and then continue to shop? I am already a fan club member.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2023, 11:18 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoptownracer1View Post
Is all we have to do to shop to benefit Splitcoast on Amazon is to click on the link on the home page and then continue to shop? I am already a fan club member.
Yes, that works. I never remember to click, so we saved my quick link to Amazon to have the Splitcoast as the affiliate link. I used to have another one, but changed it a few years ago. Basically I used the link on the website, then saved it so it would be in place.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
hoptownracer1 (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 04:15 PM   #21  

Received 280 Likes on 166 Posts

I did a little reading/exploring online about the parent company, Internet Brands. According to data available on Wikipedia, it seems to me that this company should have sufficient revenue to continue paying three employees to run SCS. The attached photo is a mere snapshot. There is so much more available to read online.

This does not indicate that we shouldn’t continue to support SCS in the ways Lydia has suggested. My support will continue.

It frustrates me that a billion dollar company treats people this way. If I understand it correctly, it is because SCS doesn’t generate enough money for them through advertising that they are choosing to pay only one employee to run this site. Is that correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Huge change for the site come Sept 1st-50bbbcbd-9b04-44c8-8d4f-802175174569.jpg  

Last edited by ozarkstamper; 08-31-2023 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by ozarkstamper:
Renata Joyner (08-31-2023), shirlb19 (09-07-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 04:55 AM   #22  

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozarkstamperView Post
I did a little reading/exploring online about the parent company, Internet Brands. According to data available on Wikipedia, it seems to me that this company should have sufficient revenue to continue paying three employees to run SCS. The attached photo is a mere snapshot. There is so much more available to read online.

This does not indicate that we shouldn’t continue to support SCS in the ways Lydia has suggested. My support will continue.

It frustrates me that a billion dollar company treats people this way. If I understand it correctly, it is because SCS doesn’t generate enough money for them through advertising that they are choosing to pay only one employee to run this site. Is that correct?
Verticals is an important word. You can't have one site that's making money and 300 sites that are losing money just for fun. Each vertical needs to support itself.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 8 users liked this post by UnderstandBlue:
Alice in Md (09-02-2023), cnsteele (09-02-2023), gaylestamps (09-01-2023), hoptownracer1 (09-01-2023), javagirl984 (10-16-2023), ozarkstamper (09-01-2023), sf9erfan (09-13-2023), shirlb19 (09-07-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 05:51 AM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

What bothers me about that info is that they don't seem to have ever made the correct IT investment in us...Lydia jumps on problems right away/reports them but they don't fix them for way too long. In this age that is very bad. I know we lost some people because of IT issues alone. Which is even more important when you are global like we are. They are already dealing with time differences.

If they prioritize by "value" to them, it becomes a snake eating it's own tail.

Unfortunately IT is where a lot of companies fall down, including banks.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by wavejumper:
shirlb19 (09-07-2023), UnderstandBlue (09-05-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 05:52 AM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Is there a way to have the AZ link as a banner on every page instead of only on the home page?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2023, 06:07 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

What bothers me about that info is that they don't seem to have ever made the correct IT investment in us...Lydia jumps on problems right away/reports them but they don't fix them for way too long. In this age that is very bad. I know we lost some people because of IT issues alone. Which is even more important when you are global like we are. They are already dealing with time differences.

If they prioritize by "value" to them, it becomes a snake eating it's own tail.

Unfortunately IT is where a lot of companies fall down, including banks.
This kind of programming is called Agile. That means they fix issues every two weeks and load them, whether correct or not. This is what my husband's company does and he finds it very frustrating, as a man who lives on tech and everything in his world is always perfect. This frustrating programming and lack of testing is what many companies are doing these days. This is what is happening all of the time here on this site.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by lovinpaper:
ChrisO (09-01-2023), hoptownracer1 (09-01-2023), shirlb19 (09-07-2023), wavejumper (09-01-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 11:38 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 253 Likes on 178 Posts

Ok, I have looked and cannot find where or what is happening????

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2023, 11:43 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 253 Likes on 178 Posts

I found it and I am so sad this is happening!! I love this site!! Forums at Splitcoaststampers

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by cheermom:
shirlb19 (09-07-2023), UnderstandBlue (09-05-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 12:36 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Received 90 Likes on 41 Posts

This was not a big surprise to me although no change is easy for me.
Life is continually changing. None of us saw Covid coming. It might even be coming back.
Most of us could not have imagined working from home yet now many people do.
We owned an electric powered car before most of our friends. Now nearly all of our friends own at least one. I just read an article this morning about how popular they are becoming. It was not so long ago I read someone say they "would never own one" but never say never.
Even the internet is changing. While 20 years ago message boards were popular, today people flock to post-and-visit sites like Pinterest. I have lost track of how many craft "sites" are no longer.
Finally, this site is seeing much less traffic than it apparently once did. I am sure there are various reasons for that so there is no need to speculate on what they are.
We all know that papercrafting as a hobby has lost popularity. Hobbies and crafts are like that. Remember when everyone was doing ceramics? counted cross stitich? It all changes.
And finally, about three years ago someone posted that Internet Brands bought this site ten years ago and still own it so it must have been a good acquisition for them. While that may have been true, they exist to make a profit. When something is making less profit than they deem acceptable, they have every right to change it.
I feel some disappointment but I sincerely doubt that much will change what is coming.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2023, 12:40 PM   #29  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 671 Likes on 414 Posts

Any news, anyone?
Reply With Quote Likes