Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2021, 06:08 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts
Default How to use small SU stamps that are missing the wooden blocks?

I got some hand-me-down SU small stamps that were originally intended to be mounted on the 1x1 wooden blocks. The person who had them didn't mount the stamps, and tossed the blocks. I use a lot of unmounted rubber, but these tiny stamps are such a pain to deal with. The clear labels are in the box, so I can adhere the label image on the sticky back of the cushion, and was hoping that would stick to my Misti. Nope...doesn't stick at all.
Has anyone unmounted their old mini wood mounted sets? How do you use them? How do you get them to stick to an acrylic block or Misti? Help!!
Thanks,
Karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2021, 07:09 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 292 Likes on 194 Posts

I unmounted two of my wood block sets. Putting them in the freezer for 15 mins helped with getting the foam and glue off the rubber (saw that on here somewhere). I ordered some easy mount foam from scrapbook.com (see link below) to make them into cling stamps. That process was a sticky mess - ripped that foam off in frustration and defeat! Then, I read on here to use talc (I used corn starch) powder and rub it on the exposed stickiness before cutting around the red rubber. Yippee skippy - what a difference!! Both of those sets are two step stamps and in hindsight, I wish I had left them on their blocks. Note: I did use temp adhesive to put them on an acrylic block and stamped that way before I succeeded with the foam.

But, my first thought when I read the size of the stamps, is go to Goodwill and find some blocks in the toy or craft section. I’m sure I would end up losing little stamps if they’re just the rubber.

Mounting foam

edited to add - you’ll find lots of suggestions if you search for forums for unmounting stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2021, 03:50 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

The labels for the WM stamps were meant only to stick to the blocks so were not adhesive on top. To use them now as unmounted on a block or stamping tool, I'd add a dab of Tombow Mono Multi ("green glue") as when it dries it is "temporary". Or you could get some of the Cling Adhesive (#152452) that Stampin' Up! now sells. I'm sure there are other companies that sell something similar, but that's the one I know about.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2021, 03:52 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 589 Likes on 241 Posts

Another vote for Cling adhesive strips. The tiniest piece on the back of the foam will let you use the stamps with blocks or stamping platform.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2021, 07:26 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I use Aleene's Tack It Over and Over. Put a tiny drop on your finger, and apply a very thin coat. Let it dry for about 15 minutes before sticking the stamp to your positioner or acrylic block. I know a lot of stampers here don't like the TIO&O, but it works very well for me. After a while, you might need to wash off the old glue and re-apply another coat, but it lasts a long time.

Double-sided tape works in a pinch too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2021, 09:32 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylou1220View Post
The labels for the WM stamps were meant only to stick to the blocks so were not adhesive on top. To use them now as unmounted on a block or stamping tool, I'd add a dab of Tombow Mono Multi ("green glue") as when it dries it is "temporary". Or you could get some of the Cling Adhesive (#152452) that Stampin' Up! now sells. I'm sure there are other companies that sell something similar, but that's the one I know about.
Thanks for the tip on using Cling Adhesive. I didn't even know SU sells that. Off to take a look!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2021, 09:34 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I use Aleene's Tack It Over and Over. Put a tiny drop on your finger, and apply a very thin coat. Let it dry for about 15 minutes before sticking the stamp to your positioner or acrylic block. I know a lot of stampers here don't like the TIO&O, but it works very well for me. After a while, you might need to wash off the old glue and re-apply another coat, but it lasts a long time.

Double-sided tape works in a pinch too.
I use Tack It Over and Over on my larger unmounted stamps, and used to use double sided tape. I may give it a try with these tiny stamps, but I found that the Aleene's (and double sided tape, for that matter) leave a residue on my Misti that means I have to clean it every time. I need to experiment with applying the Aleenes more thinly I think. I used to load it on the large unmounted stamps, or they would fall off the block.
Thanks so much for the suggestions!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2021, 09:57 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Sometimes I use a loop of ugly washi tape on the back of stamps-no residue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2021, 02:41 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I do what the above user does, use up my ugly washi tape on the back of it or even double sided tape works rolled up. Stamps fine then.

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2021, 03:11 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

If you buy any of Stampin Up's new cling stamps, save the piece with the sticky images (the cling!), I cut a piece to fit the rubber stamps (and some photopolymer) that don't stick anymore. I just put a piece in the middle, works like a charm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2021, 03:57 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,757 Likes on 1,871 Posts

I was going to suggest the same thing that lymkim just said. I used strips from a sale-a-bration cling mount stamp and began placing those strips on older sets that would not cling. It is working wonderfully.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2021, 04:57 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Purple onion sells clear stamps for use with unmounted stamps. You stick it to the misti door and then stick your unmounted stamps to it and go. I have it. You can easily cut them down to asst sizes. Some people do dedicated acrylic blocks with them and you could do a little block for little guys like that.

https://stores.purpleoniondesigns.co...ounted-stamps/

I would probably put them on cling though. I keep the scraps from what mounting I do, so I have for small guys like that. It can be a mess...I use the TH scissors and while they are supposed to be non stick that is not true so I just clean the blades every times. You just have to make sure when you are cutting you keep the blade very vertical so you dont undercut the stamp. Another choice is a hot knife. (hot x-acto) I have one. It does cut through nicely but it is an extra step I often dont feel like doing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2021, 05:33 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Purple onion sells clear stamps for use with unmounted stamps. You stick it to the misti door and then stick your unmounted stamps to it and go. I have it. You can easily cut them down to asst sizes. Some people do dedicated acrylic blocks with them and you could do a little block for little guys like that.

https://stores.purpleoniondesigns.co...ounted-stamps/

I would probably put them on cling though. I keep the scraps from what mounting I do, so I have for small guys like that. It can be a mess...I use the TH scissors and while they are supposed to be non stick that is not true so I just clean the blades every times. You just have to make sure when you are cutting you keep the blade very vertical so you dont undercut the stamp. Another choice is a hot knife. (hot x-acto) I have one. It does cut through nicely but it is an extra step I often dont feel like doing.
Well darn it. I've only gotten some of the newer SU cling stamps a few times and tossed the leftover scaps. It never occurred to me to keep them. As it is, I keep almost everything, but not that...sigh. Some of my old SU cling stamps don't stick to the Misti lid AT ALL, and I'm kind of shocked that they designed those so poorly. I have cling rubber stamps by a lot of other companies that are still sticking just perfectly, so not sure what SU did wrong.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2021, 05:35 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
I was going to suggest the same thing that lymkim just said. I used strips from a sale-a-bration cling mount stamp and began placing those strips on older sets that would not cling. It is working wonderfully.
I only got a few of the SU cling mount stamp sets in the past and I tossed all the scraps because I had no clue I would need them later. That's why I'm such a hoarder...because it annoys me so much to toss something that might have a use someday, ha!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2021, 05:32 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Well but the SU clings have rubber on them. You would have to separate them and then put your desired rubber on. I dont know how well they would hold up to that. So dont feel too bad.

The scraps I have are from mounting other brands with EZ mount sheets.

Maybe try lightly rubbing the ones that wont stick with a damp cloth. I do that with all brands when they get like that and it usually works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2021, 05:44 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,757 Likes on 1,871 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
I only got a few of the SU cling mount stamp sets in the past and I tossed all the scraps because I had no clue I would need them later. That's why I'm such a hoarder...because it annoys me so much to toss something that might have a use someday, ha!
Karen
These pieces are from the sticker sheet where you place the sticker photos of the stamped image onto the cling rubber. If you have wood mount rubber, I am not sure that those sticker strips would work. EZ Mount like suggested does work. I have also used rubber cement and placed the cling mount that wouldn't cling onto a wood block. Good luck! Not sure how much good your friend did for you to give you something that needs so much work to use.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2021, 10:12 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 666 Likes on 418 Posts

I actually stuck mine to cling foam ( peeled the wood block foam off the rubber first, I pitch the SU stickers in the bin when they are new ones and do not bother with removing the stickers from the wood blocks on old ones.)
and I use them in my Misti like that, as cling stamps.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2021, 10:40 AM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynkimView Post
If you buy any of Stampin Up's new cling stamps, save the piece with the sticky images (the cling!), I cut a piece to fit the rubber stamps (and some photopolymer) that don't stick anymore. I just put a piece in the middle, works like a charm.
Great idea! I started unmounting stamps to make more room, but the Tack it O &O was such a process, I grew tired of it. I’ll need to pull out some more old sets and try just a piece from my newer sets. Way less work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2021, 04:21 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 292 Likes on 194 Posts

Here’s a video with another option for using unmounted rubber. it’s done for the misty by could also work for acrylic blocks.

Cling vinyl and tack & peel for unmounted stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2021, 11:03 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Use my tape runner - just put a small spot on the back of the unmounted stamp and it sticks great to the acrylic block or stamp positioner for many uses
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2021, 06:22 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Well darn it. I've only gotten some of the newer SU cling stamps a few times and tossed the leftover scaps. It never occurred to me to keep them. As it is, I keep almost everything, but not that...sigh. Some of my old SU cling stamps don't stick to the Misti lid AT ALL, and I'm kind of shocked that they designed those so poorly. I have cling rubber stamps by a lot of other companies that are still sticking just perfectly, so not sure what SU did wrong.
Karen
Stamp Up sells sheets of the cling adhesive
Reply With Quote Likes