Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-16-2009, 05:33 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you really...

How many of you really give your cards away???? And if you do,
do you ever think about how much time you spend on one card and it might end up in the trash??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 05:41 AM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I give the majority of cards away. Most of the people who receive my cards say they keep them forever and they prefer my cards versus store cards. If I'm sending a cards to someone who I don't know really likes homemade or keeps them, I may not use the most expensive embellishments. Overall, once I give something away, I try not to concern myself with what happens once it leaves my hands as it's no longer mine.

In general, I make cards because I love it and since I can't keep them all, then everybody has to share in my abundant creative spirit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 05:45 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I give mine away too~ many I mail out~ some I give in bundles as gifts. I think people do appreciate the effort that goes into making cards. I make 100's /year so they don't do any good sitting in boxes around here anyhow.

my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 05:49 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

I was all gung-ho at sending everyone a handmade card all the time when I first started this. Then someone close to me made a comment about someone else's handmade card being "a waste of time and money". From that moment on, I rarely send handmade cards to everyone I know. Some might get at the holidays, but I hand deliver as many as I can. Some people, well, frankly, aren't worthy. It's not worth worrying over.

I have cards saved that I have made and never sent as part of my legacy. Someday, as I look at my grandma's handmade ornaments with great admiration, some one will find my cards and see what I enjoyed doing.

Just do the craft because you enjoy it and like to spread the joy. Not everyone will appreciate like you hope, and that's their loss and an indication of their lives.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 06:05 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I send out all I make, or I sell them at a small craft show. Many I send to the troops. But the ones I send to family or friends I often do not sign - kind of like the RAK ones. I enclose a note, and let them know they can re use it. I figure at least it gets a couple uses that way! If family members talk about me because of that, so be it! I am not a demo, so I have no need to accumulate cards.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 06:10 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I send or give away all that I make. I made about 20 sets of 8 notecards for Christmas gifts. I also made a few extras to keep around as future gifts. I made and sent all my Christmas cards last year. I make birthday cards and send them. Etc.

I may keep one of a design that I'm particularly fond of, but other than keeping a stash of cards on hand to use in a hurry, all of mine are gone. I loved going to my SIL house and seeing the thank you card that I made on the fridge. I know my mom keeps all my cards and my stepmom framed some of the note cards that I gave her for Christmas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 06:14 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

The waste paper basket doesn't have have any effect on my cardmaking. I make cards so the recipient is happy when they receive it, happy when they open it, know I've spent time and energy on them-especially for them.

What they do the day after their birthday is up to them. I certainly don't consider my cards a la Andy Warhol and worthy of keeping forever though many of my family do I think anyway!

I make a few cards to 'play' and practise techniques but mainly they're sent. A few moments joy and feeling special is included I hope in each card but I can't expect the recipient to realise the work that's gone into it-if they did and they did consider these things it wouldn't feel like a gift so much-free from obligation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 06:15 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I send cards out or DH sells them at work. I figure with the amount of money I spend on supplies and the amount of cards that I make I need to get rid of them somehow. I figure once I have put it in the mail or in the hands of the recepient it is theres to do whatever they want with it. Making cards is a stress reless for me so I don't care if others think it is a waste of time because I know that I am making something useful and having fun doing it, and my DH is very supportive of what I do and dosen't think I am wasting my time either and his opinion is what matters most to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 06:19 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My pleasure is in the crafting. If someone tosses it, so be it. If I hear a comment about a waste or whatever, they are not going to get my best work in the future. When I see card I gave in a frame or if someone tells me they love them and keep them all, they get the effort. But either way, I have my fun! The really simple cards for the unworthy (love that title!) are so easy (and there is no point in the good cardstock or embellies, is there?) that I don't mind them being tossed AND I did not shop at Hallmark. KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 06:28 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I send some, gift some...and have bins sorted by MINE (I am keeping them as works of art) GIVE AWAY (not my favorites...I give these to people for fun...there are two of these, one bin I like better, and gift them accordingly...LOL) and SELL (these are worthy of Ebay or Etsy and once in a great while I sell one)

And then I make some for a specific person, reason, whatever...they are rarely done long enough to get stored before they are on their way.

Mostly...I just create...where it goes afterwards is up in the air.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 06:36 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I put a guilt trip on my recipients - heeheee ;) I have a paper easel I send to the ones I know might not appreciate the effort and it seems to work! They email me and tell me they have it displayed. Even if it is for a day, then I know it got some use. Also, I use a post it to sign it and then they can pass it along. They like that too! They have a back up card in their desk drawer at work. Except for sympathy, I try to send it to the workplace if the person is employed. Work can be so tiresome and the thought is appreciated since it breaks up the day.

Really, I do not care what you do with my card. I make them for me {creative outlet} most of the time. I have found it is a 50-50 deal. We both win!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 06:36 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I give away all the cards I make ... although I do keep a picture on my computer of all the cards I've ever made. The few people who I know do not appreciate my handmade cards and the work I've put into them, they just dont get one of the better cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 07:04 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not very good at making cards yet, but I really love doing it. If its for someone I know won't keep the card (or if its someone I don't particularly care alot about) then I use cheaper material. But I usually go all out for the ones I know appreciate how muc work (and cost) went into it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 07:29 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I send alot of cards and I donate cards to my local nursing home for the residents to use.
If the recipiant tosses it, then that is their thing. It really doesn't bother me as I know I put the effort into making it. In the future though, they will just get a quick back card.
My aunt saves everything I ever made for her. So I put alot of time into her stuff I make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 360 Likes on 186 Posts

My family all live on the East Coast, and I started making cards so that I could send them something special on their birthday. Most of my cards are given away to family, some friends. I have learned long ago that some people appreciate hand-made items while others not so much. So, I go all out for my fans and keep it simple for those who aren't as excited about the hand-made card. I do photograph everything so I can always recreate something that worked out especially well. That helped me part with my creations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 07:48 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

I also send all the cards I make. I take a digital photo, store them on my computer for future reference and mail away. Almost everyone tells me how much they enjoy them and a few save them all in a box. I just enjoy making cards and I can't really justify buying more goodies if I don't also send them.

Tamara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

I do mine on a per-person basis, too. Some people get one layer, one stamp, other people get 4 layers, colored images, sewing, and bling! I also use 4x5.25 sheets of paper that have "from the craft table of Meg" at the top and "read it and reuse it" at the bottom to write my message on. I just printed it out on regular typing paper (no added weight) and I like it a little better than just a post-it.

But if they want to just chuck it, doesn't bother me. I got to enjoy it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I give all of my cards away. I either send them to family members or friends, or to the stampers on the RAK list I belong to.

Nope, don't think about how much time I put into each because I enjoy making them. And if it brings a smile to the recipient's face when they open it, it's all worth it. No matter how much time lapses between them receiving it and tossing it in the trash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by deb_loves_stampingView Post
I give away all the cards I make ... although I do keep a picture on my computer of all the cards I've ever made. The few people who I know do not appreciate my handmade cards and the work I've put into them, they just dont get one of the better cards.
Me, too. I save my favorite ones or the ones I know I have invested more in to people who I know will appreciate them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

All the cards I make are usually designed to be sent to someone specific. The longer and more I stamp, the more compliments I get from people. I don't worry if it will be thrown away or not appreciated. I'm just shocked by all the wonderful compliments I get from people - including men! - that it doesn't bother me in the least the few that probably aren't appreciated.

I've been shocked to be told how long people have kept my cards. That they collect my cards and look forward to the next holiday when they hope they'll get another one to add to their collection. Love to send them to shut-ins at church. They really appreciate getting a handmade card.

My only worry is that I just hope I'm faithful to my "fans" who are hoping for another card to add to their collection!

And before you think I'm really arrogant about my card making skills, trust me - my cards aren't major works of art in the least. I think it's more the idea that I cared enough to spend the time to make someone a personalized card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

I don't make all my cards with a specific event in mind, but if I need one in a pinch it's nice to have a bunch on hand. I do eventually give them all away. I also make cards with a specific event in mind. I know that some people really appreciate the hand made card and others don't, but that doesn't stop me from giving them to everyone. I love, love, love making them and that's what is important to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have very few people to send cards to, so I participated in the "send a card, receive a card" thread. You know that feeling you get when you receive Happy Mail? Well, that's the feeling I hope my recipients get. I don't care what they do with it afterwards, because - really, how many cards have you received over a lifetime? Can you imagine saving them all? No way! And the truth is, I don't save every one I get either. I "re-gift" them, display for a while then toss, or (gasp) re-use some of the embellies (I know, I know - you're never going to send me a card, right?) Some cards I get may not be someone's best effort because I'm a stranger, but I still get that Happy Mail feeling.

What is interesting is how many of you don't spend your best effort or best supplies on those you think don't appreciate them. I wonder if they WOULD appreciate them if they got your "WOW" cards instead?! (If they are anything like my sisters, the answer is no. But I keep sending them).
Sarah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

I give almost all of my cards away- either becuase I made them for a specific occassion such as a birthday, or I've packaged a group together and given them as a gift to someone. I don;t think about what happens to them when they leave my hand, though I am certain that 99% of them eventually end up in the trash and I'm OK with that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

I usually give my cards away before I can even scan them. I have a teeny gallery, and it doesn't even begin to touch on how many cards I have made and given away.
I don't worry if my card goes in the trash or not. I enjoyed making it, and the person enjoyed receiving it. I don't expect them to keep them forever. Except my mom, of course-she's required!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

I send cards out, and enjoy the process of making it for that person.* I've know a few who trash them after awhile, but most keep them. My mom, as many moms does, in fact, all over the house.* I told her to* put them in a photo album, but she puts them all over the house and it makes her smile.* I believe it's the thought that counts.* I also save the cards I receive.* My little dd makes cards for us all the time, and uses "our" supplies.* I keep them in a file for her to look at in the future.*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by chispiritView Post
How many of you really give your cards away???? And if you do,
do you ever think about how much time you spend on one card and it might end up in the trash??
I'm very, very new to card making, so I haven't made a whole lot yet. But the ones I've made have been sent out to people. The fun for me is in the making. I don't care if they get trashed.

In fact, I specifically told my boyfriend to feel free to throw them away and that it won't offend me at all. He is the recipient of a lot of the cards I've done, because I know it will put a smile on his face and that's all I want. He doesn't need more stuff hanging around his house so he's free to toss them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I have been making cards for almost 7 years...I do give them away. I did have to get over the 'it might go in the trash' feeling.

I know that some people do keep my cards...and I know that some people drop them in the circular file. But, to be honest, I kinda know who is going to keep, who is going to drop. And I design my cards accordingly. ;)

Cardmaking is enjoyable if you realize that you get joy from creating...you cannot make any expectations of people getting joy (or telling you of that joy) from receiving.

(not to say that I don't LOVE hearing that someone enjoyed, loved, etc something I sent to them...but I don't expect to hear about it)

Kathy

(and, as another poster mentioned, I do scan or photograph each card before it leaves me, so I can keep my fond memories...)

Last edited by koopdedoo; 02-16-2009 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: detail!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

i don't send my cards to people ever! i am kind of snail-mail phobic. i hate using it. so yah.. i also don't have any people i mail to so.. my cards sit until an opportunity comes up to liquidate. (i have 60-70 sitting at a flower shop right now) and they are mostly my old one. I usually keep my "works of art" but i actually let a few of those go too..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I send mine. It would seem like a waste NOT to send them. I don't mind if they end up in the trash. Whether they keep them or trash them, I still enjoyed making them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #30  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

Believe it or not, I give away about 98 percent of my cards...The rest are usually either put away for a holiday, or in the garbage...LOL...

I live in a VERY small house, to keeping cards is out of the question...And, I dont' make cards for me, I make them for the recipients. If they don't want to keep them, they can toss them. It doesn't bother me one bit! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't keep any of my cards, except for a small stash. So if something comes up and I don't have time to make something, at least I still have a card.

I rarely get handmade cards. That being said, I don't keep the $5 cards all of my real life friends send me from Hallmark, so I wouldn't be offended if my cards ended up in trash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 10:29 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I give most of mine away - in the end. I quite often give packs of 6 or 8 as gifts to people I know will use them. Anyone I ask first is always thrilled at the idea. (Have to sort out some for a friend's birthday next week, actually).
Some stay on the piano for a LONG time before moving into a box, and some stay in the box for years, but on the whole I either send them or sell them in work. Back to 2005 I have them all scanned and on file anyway. Not sure I want them on all file, LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess (Retired)

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts

I do 3 things with my cards. I give them away, donate some, and sell some on eBay. As long as I take a photo of it, it doesn't matter to me if it's thrown away. But I've heard from people that they keep them. My psychiatrist told me today the card was a gift and I do amazing work. (I was surprised to see it still on her desk.)
Limited Supplies, Featured Stamper, Clean & Simple
FS143 / QFTD93 
Past Design Teams: DRS Designs, Rubbernecker  
Past Guest Designer: Gina K Designs 
CAS. Embellished. It's all good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess (Retired)

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I give most of mine away - in the end. I quite often give packs of 6 or 8 as gifts to people I know will use them. Anyone I ask first is always thrilled at the idea. (Have to sort out some for a friend's birthday next week, actually).
Some stay on the piano for a LONG time before moving into a box, and some stay in the box for years, but on the whole I either send them or sell them in work. Back to 2005 I have them all scanned and on file anyway. Not sure I want them on all file, LOL.
Me too! Some of mine are in a folder that's named "Redo" :mrgreen:
Limited Supplies, Featured Stamper, Clean & Simple
FS143 / QFTD93 
Past Design Teams: DRS Designs, Rubbernecker  
Past Guest Designer: Gina K Designs 
CAS. Embellished. It's all good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #35  
Cardstock Collector

Wink

I give away some and other cards just stays in the box. I have yet to give away...maybe donate to a hospital somewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #36  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

I give away cards every day. I know they almost always end up in the trash but that is the nature of the business. I grew to accept that long ago.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #37  
Glitter Queen

I give away all the cards I make. I only send them to other stampers or family/friends I know will appreciate them. My nieces even used to take my cards to school for Show & Tell! Now, one of them puts them on the wall of her dorm as artwork. Can't beat that, ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

I give most of the cards I make to organizations like Soldiers' Angels or through RAK & SAC/RAC. I always use a post it note and let them know that it's meant for them to give to whomever they want. Once the card leaves my hands, it's no longer mine. It's a gift and there's no strings attached. I like to think that the receiver can find some use out of it or at least put a smile on their face. I don't expect anyone to keep my cards. The fun of it all for me is the process of making the card. I always take photos of every card I make and save it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #39  
Polyshrink Goddess

This post is fun to read. I do give most of my cards away but being I dwell over cards forever, there are some cards I just hate to give up. I get emotionally attached to the darn things! What a nut huh?

I have some who love my cards and hang on to them forever. But I'm sure some of them throw the cards away, well atleast I'm not there to witness it. I usually don't sign them in the hopes that they will recycle and pass it on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #40  
Crimping Master

Oh heavens, yes! I do give them away! And I don't usually think about beyond that. In fact, there have been times when someone thanks me personally and I can't even remember what the card looked like (please don't tell me that is age-related - haha).

I've also been known to make a large amount and "gift" them to someone so they can enjoy sending them out. I love making cards so mch that I make way more than we can use.
Reply With Quote Likes