Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #41  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I have both the Cricut & Cuttlebug. I love them both. I love SCAL! SCAL is easy to use (way easier than Design Studio IMHO). I have a file structure that I save my files to as I collect them (i.e. Animals, Children, Holidays, etc.) So finding what I'm looking for is very easy. Unfortunately, I'm a collector so deciding among the many files & fonts I've collected isn't always so easy. Combining SCAL with Inkscape(a free graphics program) let's me cut whatever I want to cut! Inkscape is scary at first but just take it step by step and soon it's easy too! Or just collect all the files on the web and don't worry about Inkscape.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #42  
ked
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Don't have one and don't really want one. Don't think I'd use it. My Cuttlebug, though, I LOVE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 12:17 AM   #43  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't buy the tool kit but the old card I have as Staples sends offers all the time on the credit card plastic. I'm going to have more obsolete credit cards if they keep raising the interest rate! <G> Where do you get the free version of design studio.
Here you go this is the direct link to the free version of Cricut Design Studio: http://www.cricut.com/CricutDesignSt...tudio_FAQ.aspx

You can design with the cartridges that came with your Cricut.

Baby Cricut: George and Basic Shapes
Expressions: Plantin and I think maybe Accent Essentials.
Create: Don Juan

Having it on your computer is a great way to collect Cut files made by many of the wonderful sweet talented designers over at the Cricut board. Most use Planin or George in their designs.

You can take a look through all the library of cartridges and even do Keyword searches so you don't spend ninety years looking through your books.

I do have the full version and it's ok, lol. Drives me bonkers to use it. I love to layout my cuts with it and the hide contour button is indispensable to me. Too bad we don't have that in the Gypsy yet. Least we can move our files to the Gypsy after creating them in Design Studio.

Eboyd you asked about SureCutsAlot. You can get it at www.craftedge.com. You can download a trial version but it will make three line cuts in your project while in trial mode. It's a really nice program and least in trial you can play and see if you like it.

If you do decide to buy it make sure you look for a coupon code. They run regularly. SCAL Yahoo group is indispensable for SCAL users. Don't forget to check out the forum too over at Craft Edge.

HTH!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2009, 05:14 AM   #44  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsmom69View Post
nicholejanette, does it take you a lot of time to use the SCAL? You know, searching for files & stuff. That was my concern when I thought about buying it. Also, I use my cricut mostly for cardmaking. I haven't done a scrapbook page in months but need to get back to it. Do you think you'd use SCAL as much for making cards?
It doesnt take that much time... I love the scal it is way easier to use than the cricut software... I have found multiple places that sell files for scal, and some blogs that have freebies... here are some for those of you that are interested...

http://www.myscrapchick.com/paperpiecing1.htm
http://www.mardenz.blogspot.com/
http://www.svgcuts.com/
http://svgshop.com/blog/?paged=8
http://www.vinylreadydesigns.com/ - this has word designs for sayings for the walls
http://cuts4scrapbooking.blogspot.co...20scrapbooking
http://dscrapbookingroom.blogspot.com/

There are tons of blogs and sites out there with stuff on them... As I said, I love it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #45  
Rubber Obsessor

I have the Cuttlebug....LOVE IT!! I just got the Cricut about a month ago, so I'm still learning, but so far, I love it as well!!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #46  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like it as well. Still learning Cricut but finding it is pretty darn versitile. Thanks for the SCAl url.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Expression but not a cuttlebug yet

I gave my small Cricuit to my niece hoping she would get more into as when my gran-niece visited we had a blast with it. I just recently was re-united with my Expression but I do love it. I use it for cutting out cards and tags and such. I like that I can cut multiple size in one shot/cut and am actually going to try using it to do fabric applique (SIC?) tonight with a friend.

I do have the cuttlebug on my Christmas list though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #48  
Mad Swapper

For me the cricut was the best present I could of ever asked for! I use it all the time. Owning the cartridges has reduced the need for buying multiple punches. I try to incorporate my cricut with most projects that I do including card making. So for me I usually don't abandon my cricut to make cards or vice versa. I use them both just about equally.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

Let me know how the fabric cutting goes. I do a lot of it. Works well with the Big Shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #50  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have both and love them. I do go back and forth at various times between the two. Would like to use my cuttlebug more for scrapbooking. The cricut is great - even my kids love to use it for school projects. Good bye stencils
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

All the time! In general though, I use the cuttlebug mostly for backgrounds in card making, and the cricut for scrapbooking.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #52  
Polyshrink Goddess

I havn't scrapbooked in a while and really didn't intend to become a card maker but during a sleepless night last night I made a card. Don't know how I would have used the cricut for it but I'm way too new at it to say. I have awesome dingbats from Pchugware and Lettering Delights that would be awesome to use with scal. I looked at the price though and it'll be awhile before I can pay that having just got the cricut. Where do they post coupons?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #53  
Insane Embellisher

Nicolejanette...thanks for the scal links. I downloaded the free trial. Are there any tutorials on how to use it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2009, 05:25 PM   #54  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsmom69View Post
Nicolejanette...thanks for the scal links. I downloaded the free trial. Are there any tutorials on how to use it?
tons of them, I think there are some on the craftedge site,,, the yahoo group, and there are tons on you tube...http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #55  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold all my SU stamps and accessories and bought a cuttlebug and a cricut expression (already had owned the baby bug) I don't regret it at all. I found myself not creating as much when I was stamping. Now I bought the gypsy and that has been wonderful. I just create wherever I am and cut when I get home. It's so much easier.

I think stamping is absolutely wonderful and the carts/creations are gorgeous! it just wasn't for me anymore.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #56  
Matboard Maniac

I have the baby cricut and the E.. I love them both.. I have to say I use to use them almost every day and now I probably haven't turned them on in quite some time. I have found myself stamping more and more and not using my cricuts. But I love them and will never get rid of them. I think I do go through a phase.. I had the cuttlebug which I loved, but moved up to the Big Shot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2009, 04:03 AM   #57  
Polyshrink Goddess

Gosh I sold some stamps but not all my stampin stuff. I use it as well as all the machines.
Reply With Quote Likes