Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-28-2005, 06:40 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default How many of same design?

How many cards of the same design can you make before you start going bonkers?

I'm trying to get my Christmas cards done and I'm very happy with the design I came up with, but now I find that I just can't keep myself on-task to do 60-70 cards of this one design. I'm already tired of it and I've only completed (and not even totally completed) about 30. Every time I sit down to work on them I get sidetracked and end up working on something completely different. And now we're almost into November and I've got to get going on this. Help!! What do you guys do? Linda
Psalm 113:3

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2005, 06:46 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear you. I haven't even started my Christmas cards because I am dreading the assembly line that will be required to complete them. It gets soo monotonous! I generally plan to make one kind of Christmas card, and then when I'm just too tired of that one, I make others. Not everyone has to receive the same card from me. I either just modify the card but use the same stamp set - so I know not to use that stamp set the next year. Or I use two stamp sets - and don't use either the following year. It helps to mix things up a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2005, 06:49 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I started my cards, but what I do is make 10-12 cards each of different designs. That way I don't get too bored! I think I would go crazy making 60 of one card!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2005, 06:51 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I have several stamping friends who can only do 25 to 30 of one card. So they do 2 or 3 different styles to keep it interesting for themselves. I have a shorter list, I only need about 45, so I do make all the same. But by the time I got done last year I was sick of them and I had done a complicated card so it was very time consuming. This year I've picked a card that is less labor intensive so hopefully it will go better.

Also, in years past when I got bogged down I would send store bought cards to people who were business associates and save the stamped ones for close friends and family.

Hope this helps and remember, we are doing this because it's fun, if it begins to lose it's fun, give yourself permission to buy some to supplement your stamped ones.

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2005, 06:51 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I start getting tired of the same design after about 15-20 cards, so the swaps for my upline's monthly meetings are definitely a challenge! :p

I find it helps if I do them assembly-line style -- all the cutting, then do each step on each card till I've finished that part on all of them. Even then I can only stand to finish a step on 10 or so at a time.

Have you considered doing a couple of different designs? I know then you have to choose who gets what card, but at least you won't burn out on a single one. After all, you want stamping your Christmas cards to be fun and not a chore, right?

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2005, 06:56 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstfrommi
...give yourself permission to buy some to supplement your stamped ones.
My friends and family would KILL me if I did that! They've all come to expect a hand-made card from me. I'm basically a SAHM (work one day a week) so they figure I have no excuses not to stamp all of them, lol! But thanks for giving me permission...Linda

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2005, 07:05 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
I find it helps if I do them assembly-line style -- all the cutting, then do each step on each card till I've finished that part on all of them. Even then I can only stand to finish a step on 10 or so at a time.

Have you considered doing a couple of different designs? I know then you have to choose who gets what card, but at least you won't burn out on a single one. After all, you want stamping your Christmas cards to be fun and not a chore, right?
That's how I did the (almost) completed 30 so far, and it worked ok up till now, but now I'm just burned out on that style. I've started a few other styles but they're all too labor-intense (more for the fun of creating them). But you're right, I'm probably best off thinking of another style and splitting it up that way. [And hopefully it'll be with stamps I already have...my dh already teases me about the proverbial "$42 card" which I'm most definitely guilty of.]

Thanks for all the suggestions, ladies.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2005, 07:07 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The MOST I can do is 30 and that is Christmas only. I don't really enjoy making multiples. In the past I have done 3 different designs each year. This year, in January, Shelley and I started the Christmas card challenge (see the challenge forum) to make 10 per month. I haven't managed it every month, but I'll have 6-8 different designs this year with 10-15 of each design. I'm much happier with this!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2005, 05:22 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

This is one of the reasons I don't participate in swaps very often! I like to make every card different! LOL!

When it comes to Christmas cards, it's just an item on the To Do list for preparations. Designing the original card is the fun part. I just make myself sit down and do them and don't think about if it's fun or not. Last year I actually did them all in one day during Thanksgiving weekend when I was doing the rest of the Christmas decorationg. Done and over with. I have the same plans for this year. So, I haven't even started, yet. (I have the design and purchased the materials, though.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2005, 06:22 AM   #10  
Hot Wheels

Last year i got an order from a company to make 60 christmas cards, and i had to bite my teeth together to get them done! It was the worst, but i survived! *lol*
Cards made in 2010:60
I'm going to PORCHA!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2005, 08:06 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I generally only make about 6-8 of one design before I'm ready to move to a different one. I make about 120 holiday cards, so typically have several designs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2005, 12:08 PM   #12  
Chattin' & Sippin' in SPAM-Land

I start to lose it around 20. I haven't even started THINKING about Christmas cards yet.... ugh! Got a whole bunch of new supplies on their way to me... I'll start playing later this week!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2005, 12:38 PM   #13  
KLF
Kookie Creator

OOooh--I wish I had the forethought of Lilorangemouse to just use 2 stamp sets, then not reuse them. I start out trying to make multiples, but like many of you I get really bored. Then I look around and find another stamp I like and make a few of them. Then I get bored again. Then I find another stamp and make half a dozen or so..... Is it any wonder I have 2 huge boxes of Christmas stamps? Even so, I'm afraid some folks may get a card made with the same stamp several years in a row. It's almost impossible for me to make identical cards, though, so everyone gets some variety--I hope!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2005, 09:01 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Default multiple cards

When I do multiple cards, I break it up in sections. For example on one night I will cut all the background papers. The next night the matts. the third night I stamp the focal point.. etc. I just do one step a night and eventually they are all done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2005, 09:52 PM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One - I struggle to get through 10, so I switch designs alot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2005, 11:25 PM   #16  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

I make 8-12 of each Christmas cards, that's about my limit. I did 18 of one two years ago and by the end of it, I hated them. LOL

I'm going for more details this year and it gets downright tedious to make the same one over and over. I have to make about 70 total every year.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2005, 11:32 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I just finished 80 wedding invites for my SIL -- got 'em done in under a week, but I was going a little bonkers!

My Little Blog . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2005, 03:50 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

I'll start designing in late Sept and make up to 8-10 different ones before deciding on which one/ones I want to use, then I'll make 4-5 of the ones I want to use assembly line style. I also got together with two other stampers and got the fronts made of a bunch so that helped.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2005, 05:35 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

I just finished mine this past week. I think there are about 40 the same with option to make 10 more if needed. I assembly lined them, but I also only worked on them for an hour or two at at time about twice a week. I work at my FIL's house as his dialysis assistiant (m-w-f) so I have 5 hours of down time. I usually scrapbook a couple of days a week, but was able to get my Christmas cards finished early. Yeah!! First time in years they'll be on time. I just need to order 6x6 envies now. I think once I had the design the rest was easy, but I was ready to be done tying off ribblon at the end. I did vary the ribbons but the rest of the card were the same.
Here is my sample from the gallery. Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
The fun part was when I was all completley done I traded off the stamp set so next year I'll have a new fun set to make my cards with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2005, 05:51 AM   #20  
down and digi

I enjoy it up to 20 cards. If I'm doing more than that I move my supplies to the TV room and work on the coffee table. I find when I do watching TV I can do up to about 50 before it drives me crazy.

I also do it like an assembly line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2005, 06:56 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

I feel for you! I make monthly 4x6 calendars as gifts - so I make 25 of 12 different designs. Is labor intensive, but when it's done I feel SO good. Have 6 months done - 6 to go. I agree with those that do it step by step - I have 25 pieces of mulberry stamped & initial watercoloring done on the table right now - so I better get back to it. Time's a wasting!
Reply With Quote Likes