Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-19-2014, 06:02 AM   #81  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we have received 6. I told hubs the other day, I think next year more cards will be made for the troops, MD Cancer Hospital and anywhere else that needs them. Each year gets less and less that we receive but I still love making them so I will donate more!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2014, 07:12 AM   #82  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,919 Likes on 2,187 Posts

Way to go Mary Rose! People think I'm strange because I don't do facebook....but I think people post way to much info there and no personal contact beyond that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2014, 07:43 AM   #83  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMcAreeView Post
I think we have received 6. I told hubs the other day, I think next year more cards will be made for the troops, MD Cancer Hospital and anywhere else that needs them. Each year gets less and less that we receive but I still love making them so I will donate more!
ahem... don't stop checking your mail... just sayin' :p

I just mailed mine yesterday, and I have several friends who are still working on them....don't give up. I've noticed that most people are sending them (like me) closer to the actual holiday in recent years.

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #84  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

I send out about 80 or so cards...and they have not gone out yet - but will Saturday (yeah, I know - nothing like waiting until the last minute). I gave up making them all about 2 weeks ago and bought the rest (I think I bought 60 or so). We haven't received many cards this year at all... think maybe 10 or 15. The number goes down more and more every year. I think part of it is due to postage costs and also the whole social media/texting/email thing too.

Mary Rose - I so hear you about connecting again! We do have a facebook account and I never did want to have one...but we realized if we ever wanted to see our grandkids growing up we would have to be on facebook because begging for pictures for years wasn't working. Now I beg for them on facebook - LOL!!

I think as a society we really don't connect enough anymore. Everyone has their nose in their phones and can hardly even look up it seems. Technology is a wonderful thing - but I often think how much we have lost because of it. I think I was born way after my time - I truly belong in Mayberry! I was watching an old Andy Griffith episode the other day and thinking about how we live such a hurried life. How nice it would be to sit on the porch on a weekend afternoon with a friend and just talk - not worrying about what wasn't getting done or with a cell phone attached. We need to invest more in each other - more than just a quick post on FB or a text...even more than an email. And I must admit - even more than just a Christmas card. I was thinking about that too - my list is over 80 people - but how many of those 80 people do I reach out to during the year? Maybe half if I'm lucky.

So Mary Rose - you've inspired me and I am certainly going to challenge myself to reach out more in 2015!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #85  
Proud Fan Club Member

Zella, I belong on Walton's mountain! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #86  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent out a few before I had surgery. We've now received 10 cards 2 are get wells. I did receive 2 handmades and expect a few more from my card making friends. I was anxiously awaiting this year's card from a card maker I I just stumbled upon recently, she is my biggest customer at work and who knew she made cards. It is really awesome, so many layers and textures! Today I will assist my hubby with the rest of the cards. I already made them, but he is on card sending duty for his family and friends.

ah, and I have one last card order to finish for a customer, I made two and have the other two started. I will finish them up this weekend, the buyer won't need them until the 24th, they will be hand delivered at Christmas to his family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #87  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp_mommaView Post
ahem... don't stop checking your mail... just sayin' :p

I just mailed mine yesterday, and I have several friends who are still working on them....don't give up. I've noticed that most people are sending them (like me) closer to the actual holiday in recent years.
To both Loris here - yeah, your cards didn't leave until this morning

Procrastinators unite! Don't give up on your slowpoke friends like me

I hand make my cards each year because I consider it the only gift I can give to some people I don't get to see regularly. I enjoy it, and I would say most of the cards we receive are from my papercrafting friends and are handmade as well. I haven't seen a decline this year - I just got back from the mailbox with a big stack of them that I can't wait to open.

I love hearing about people's families and seeing their kids get bigger - especially if I don't get to visit with them in real life each year. It's my favorite part of the holiday season.

2/3 of mine went out the door today - the rest will go tomorrow if I can stay focused

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #88  
Glitter Guru

Received 816 Likes on 534 Posts

We're up to 20.

I'm sending the last 7 out today - all are local so they should get delivered tomorrow. We sent out a total of 55 cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #89  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Uh, yeah, I actually haven't finished sending mine out yet either. 7 more will be going in the mail tonight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #90  
Proud Fan Club Member

Four more today makes 39. One was especially fun. It was a picture card and the couple is holding up a sign telling us they are expecting a baby in the new year!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2014, 12:50 PM   #91  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I am up to four Christmas cards now! I am starting to get excited here.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #92  
Stazon Splitcoast

I now have probably 25 with a few more still to trickle in.
Merry Christmas ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #93  
Proud Fan Club Member

Two today. 41 total so far. I imagine I might have more tomorrow in my church mailbox. Today's was from SIL and her DH and DHs school hood friend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #94  
Stazon Splitcoast

We've gotten 2 from the same couple! does that count as 2 or 1?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #95  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
We've gotten 2 from the same couple! does that count as 2 or 1?
That's funny! But I sent one to someone because I wasn't sure if I sent her one before or not! So its possible she got two from me too! Lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #96  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 371 Likes on 202 Posts

I have received 4 cards so far - 1 from one of our 4 kids, 1 from one of my 2 brothers, 1 from my very best BFF (I think we were really sisters separated at birth! lol) and 1 from FIL and his wife.
We have 1 gift from one of our DDs. This is all I expect as that is all I have gotten in the years past!
I wish I could roll the calendar back 20 years when my kids were little - I loved Christmas then!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2014, 04:36 PM   #97  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I no longer count or care how many I receive. I send about 90 in the mail, and another 25 or so are handed out in person. I just got mine in the mail Thursday, and haven't even started on the ones I hand deliver.

I usually get about half of what I send. But that's not the point. I really don't like the people who will only mail cards in return to people who sent cards to them. It's not tit for tat. If it is, you're doing it wrong. Send your cards or don't send your cards, but don't use them as a reward to people who gave one to you, or as a horrible obligation that you feel you need to return the favor.

Rant over.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #98  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Up to 7 now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2014, 04:49 PM   #99  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
I no longer count or care how many I receive. I send about 90 in the mail, and another 25 or so are handed out in person. I just got mine in the mail Thursday, and haven't even started on the ones I hand deliver.

I usually get about half of what I send. But that's not the point. I really don't like the people who will only mail cards in return to people who sent cards to them. It's not tit for tat. If it is, you're doing it wrong. Send your cards or don't send your cards, but don't use them as a reward to people who gave one to you, or as a horrible obligation that you feel you need to return the favor.

Rant over.

This is so true. in years past I usually sent cards out by the 2nd week in Dec. AND you can always tell who feels obligated because those cards usually come after Christmas.

It is just that I am quite upset. For 23 years I was consistent sending Christmas cards out. Dec 2012 I got real sick and could not send any out. Then Dec 2013 I got a migraine-lasted 7 days, sent no cards. AND Dec 2013 same thing, I got another 7 day migraine, sent no cards. So this year comes along and NO ONE sends us cards.

I sent out 38 cards plus three more Christmas cards with gifts. Only relative that sent us cards was my father. Rest are from friends.

I just don't know if it is worth MY time making and sending cards.

I think, is the reason we don't get cards any more, because people just are not sending them out. Or are we no longer on peoples list.:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #100  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love making cards (all types). I love sending them. My family is wide spread so it's my way of touching base with them. Sure, I am on Facebook (so I can see photos and videos of my grandkids), but I like the personal touch of a card! I really don't care about the number of cards I receive - I was not great about sending cards until I started making them! I have been told by friends that they are embarrassed to send store bought cards to someone who makes them. And I explained that is not the point. However, I know that several people whom I send cards to actually KEEP them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #101  
Kookie Creator

Not many this year, but there's still time next week. I sent out about 45 cards. Everyone said they were lovely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #102  
Pearl-ExPert

Fabulous thread...love reading everyone post, thank you for sharing. Glad I'm not the only one running to the mailbox looking for Cards! lol

I sent out 25 cards several weeks ago and so far only my Ex-Mother-in-Law has sent me a card. We sent them at about the same time so, I don't think she sent it because she got one from me. She has always sent dd and me cards and goodies through the years. DD graduated/moved out several years ago and she continued sending me cards. Anyways, not that I'm keeping score or anything but dh got two cards from his side of the family.

I did participate here on SCS Receive a Card and Send a Card and got 3 Beautiful cards which one I kept and the other two dh picked out of a card line-up to send out to a close friend and his aunt. Here is the link if your interested in playing here! But it might be a little late getting a card before Christmas. I also, joined another group on FB to exchange one card but still waiting...Sigh!

For those that didn't get a card here is a Virtual Card just for YOU! (Double click on picture)
How many cards have you received?-007.jpg

Enjoy the Season...however you Celebrate!
Love my SCS Friends!!!

Last edited by In my closet Stampin; 12-20-2014 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: Double click on picture to make it bigger....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2014, 05:43 AM   #103  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post

It is just that I am quite upset. For 23 years I was consistent sending Christmas cards out. Dec 2012 I got real sick and could not send any out. Then Dec 2013 I got a migraine-lasted 7 days, sent no cards. AND Dec 2013 same thing, I got another 7 day migraine, sent no cards. So this year comes along and NO ONE sends us cards.

I sent out 38 cards plus three more Christmas cards with gifts. Only relative that sent us cards was my father. Rest are from friends.

I just don't know if it is worth MY time making and sending cards.

(
Oh that's horrible. I don't ever drop people from my list because they aren't sending cards to me. I drop people for a few reasons: they moved and haven't bothered sending me their new address (and I try to get it); they were previously on my cycling team but left and I never really developed a relationship with them (I send cards to all current members of my team); they passed away. That's it.

Leslie, if I had your address I'd send you a card just to make up for the "friends" who dropped you simply because you missed two years.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #104  
Stazon Splitcoast

And I am just going to put this out here.

A lot of people are into Financial Freedom etc. and have had big financial hits in the last few years and almost ALL the programs from Suzi Orman on tell people to cut things like sending cards because they aren't necessary*.

Personally I think people are worth at least 50 cents postage once a year, because let's be honest if people really wanted to send cards they could do what I did for years and get them in the after Christmas sales for 80% or less of cost.

*necessary - I personally think it IS necessary to reach out to people with good will. There are things more important than money. Now don't get me wrong I don't think people should go into debt or further debt to send cards, but the majority of people I know can afford it.

Last edited by RiverIsis; 12-21-2014 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #105  
Proud Fan Club Member

I got nine more at church this morning so my total is 50. I don't foresee anymore coming in but who knows. 4 of the ones I got this morning mentioned that they love getting my cards. My goal for next year is to write more in each one. I spend so much time making them that a lot of times I just stamp the sentiment and handwrite merry Christmas and sign them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #106  
Stazon Splitcoast

Kristen,
I agree! My brothers and I have not bought each other gifts for years since we all have kids and grandkids to buy for. I see my cards as a gift to them - letting them know that I am thinking of them. The cost of a card and postage is small in comparison to a gift. Even when I was a single parent I bought cards, wrapping paper and such after Christmas for the next year. Cutting one's budget could start with fewer lattes, nail appointments, etc.

Kathy,
I, too, should be writing more in my cards. I am so guilty of stamping and signing and including nothing more. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #107  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
And I am just going to put this out here.

A lot of people are into Financial Freedom etc. and have had big financial hits in the last few years and almost ALL the programs from Suzi Orman on tell people to cut things like sending cards because they aren't necessary*.

Personally I think people are worth at least 50 cents postage once a year, because let's be honest if people really wanted to send cards they could do what I did for years and get them in the after Christmas sales for 80% or less of cost.

*necessary - I personally think it IS necessary to reach out to people with good will. There are things more important than money. Now don't get me wrong I don't think people should go into debt or further debt to send cards, but the majority of people I know can afford it.
There are plenty of opportunities to save money year round let alone during the holiday season.

No one has to pay full price for anything. Christmas cards and wrapping paper ect has been on sale since or before blk Friday. No one has to pay full price for these items, if they do, they are nuts;)

As far as clothing and shoes goes, there are sales all the time. I have more coupons from JCPenny than I can use. Famous footwear also has coupons. I know not everyone shops at these stores, but I am saying there are coupons and sales, discounts everywhere.

This Financial Freedom people are "In To" is not to "save money" but to pay off their debit they have accumulated because of over spending. People over spend all the time then say they can't Afford anything.

I don't think I need to list what people over spend On, I am sure we all know:p

Well, that is just my 2 cents worth. Rant over
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #108  
Stazon Splitcoast

I remember a saying that goes something like this:

People buy things, that they don't need, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't even like!

But, that is another subject - back to "how many cards have you received."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #109  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

In the actual mail? Aside from a card exchange I join most years/obligatory work-related cards, I generally send out something like 30-40 cards in the mail to friends/relatives. Most years, I can count on one hand the cards that I receive. But I've never worried too much about who sends me cards - I send cards out because I had the fun of making them and I want to send out some holiday cheer to those people who are special to me. There is a portion of my send-to list that are elderly relatives who are no longer able to send out cards. I don't mind - I know they enjoy the cards I send, and I remember the many years when I was young and they did send cards. My nieces & nephews are all still under the age of 10 - but I send them each their own Christmas card every year because it absolutely makes their day. They are so excited to get them, that they tell me all about it the next time I see them/talk to them on the phone. You know, that $1 or whatever it cost in postage was more than worth the joy on their faces/in their voice for something so small.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2014, 04:07 AM   #110  
Kookie Creator

Finished dropping the last 7 in the box on my way into work this morning. Sent 20 something this year, rec'd 0 :( well I take that back, my mom sent an email greeting, but she just had rotator cuff surgery so isn't able to do her normal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #111  
Stazon Splitcoast

Finally posted 64 cards today! 23 International OOPS!:oops: Still need to send one but need to look up the address.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #112  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ooh, I checked my mailbox yesterday and now have received a total of SEVEN cards!! That's a lot!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #113  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've received 4. One from a Facebook friend in Ireland; we connected through the Scottie community after both hers and my little girl-dogs passed around the same time and both brothers were grieving very badly, as were her and I as well. I also received one from our landlord, one from a single-mom friend in a neighboring province who sends a photo card every year, and a photo card of my niece from one of my sisters.

I have sent zero. The cost of postage in Canada is now up to $0.85. It's $1.20 to the U.S. and $2.50 to overseas. I used to send 30 to 40 a year but that number has gradually dwindled. With limited income since January, then no income at all since July, postage is the last thing I want to ask an 'allowance' for from my husband. Making sure we have electricity is a tad bit more important at the moment.

However, I will be dropping off three cards on Christmas Eve to my husband's side of the family, and another four to my side on Boxing Day (Dec 26). My in-laws usually give me money for Christmas, so at least I will be able to send thank you cards in the new year!

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #114  
Proud Fan Club Member

One in the mail today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2014, 08:43 PM   #115  
Hardware Hotshot

We've gotten about 8 total!
Yes, fewer people are sending cards! None of my close friends send cards except one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #116  
Stazon Splitcoast

I haven't counted ours but I would say we got about 20 to 25 so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2014, 04:26 AM   #117  
Proud Fan Club Member

One more yesterday. Today is the last chance! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2014, 05:23 AM   #118  
Kookie Creator

I count myself fortunate to have received over 70 cards this season. I send out a bit over 90 cards to family and friends. Each card has some sort of message enclosed as well. Keeping in touch means a great deal to me, but it's not via typical social media. We call, write, visit, and watch for each others' lives. Photos are shared, as are videos when I cannot attend an event. Few cards were handmade, but the sentiments are always sincere. These are my Christmas treasures! Let the celebrations continue! Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #119  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
One more yesterday. Today is the last chance! LOL
Before Christmas begins - we are still in Advent! So Christmas is from tomorrow to January 6th and I am good with any good cheer sent to me any time of year. :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #120  
Proud Fan Club Member

Yes. I just meant there's no mail tomorrow so its the last chance to get them before Christmas day. I'll take them anytime and cherish them!
Reply With Quote Likes