Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-18-2005, 03:43 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Long Does it take you to make a card?

Hi, I was just wondering how long it takes you to make a card. I have seen some what I call Busy (but Lovely) cards and was wondering about how long everyone spends on making a card. I am still just a beginner so it seems to take me hours on some of mine.
Thanks Stamping Pat
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 03:51 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

This may be a vague answer, but it depends! When I am trying out a new technique, I may spend about an hour playing around on a card. Sometimes, the planets and stars line up just right, and I can turn out a beautiful card in oh, 10 or 15 minutes. Also, a special card for a dear friend, or dh, I may spend longer on making it just right! HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 04:43 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can do a card in 10 minutes or 3 hours. It's all just what mood I'm in, whether I'm in a time crunch, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 04:44 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

This is an interesting question. I am a slow stamper, sometimes a card will take 45 min. Once in a while, if I start with a vision in mind I can crank one out faster. Sometimes I spend an eternity on them, then don't like what I see, set it aside & come back 3 days later!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 04:45 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

If I have an idea of what I want to do it takes me 10 min. But if I have no clue on colors or a theme anywhere from 20 min to 3 hours

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 06:28 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Mine usually takes awhile, but I like doing it in steps and walk to a from a project in progress so I have to time to think/plan before doing something which can't be reversed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 06:41 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

I RARELY spen more than 15 Min. on a card - EXCEPT if it is to be a truely one-of-a-kind card (like a 50th anniv.) but since I sell almost all the cards I make and I need to make about 25 a week and I work part time and my hubby prefers that I "socialize" with him in the evenings...I can't waste a lot of time. Now I may make 10 cards that I only make one of...but then I "stumble" onto a layout/combo that I really like and that one I'll make 25 (or more) of and it usually proves to be a great seller.
A~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 06:52 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

It all depends on the card if I have an idea already or not..

Last night I sat down and had to make a card for my SIL , MIL, and my husbands uncle - I had the idea alread for the uncle and MIL card so I did those up really quick... then I picked out a stamp set and came up with something for SIL card - it took me about 30 minutes to stamp, color, cut the paper and put it together. I also like to make 2 or more of one card at a time (which I did not get to do last night) so it takes a little bit longer.

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 06:55 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

It takes me FOREVER to make a card. I could never make any sort of income doing this - it probably takes me an entire evening to do a card or two,

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 07:04 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

It take me ages to make a card too. All my cards are made specifically for a person or function so I try to incorporate aspects of that person's life/likes and the reason for the card into what I make. Even once I've figured out what I'm going to make it takes me ages to cut out the pieces, stamp etc. and then assemble the little buggers!

If I could crank out a card in 10 or 15 minutes, I'd be very happy! Maybe I need lessons...I've never had anyone demonstrate techniques to me and I don't know anyone else who makes cards (I know lots of people make cards, I just don't have any "local" friends that do)

Maybe I should start a new thread asking for tips/techniques on making cards in an efficient manner...

Cool question, btw, I was just wondering the same thing when browsing the gallery yesterday. I don't know how everyone does such wonderful work!

Kelly Bee

P.S. I just bought my second SU stamp set and am very excited!!! (bought it used - "A Little Love" - I think I'll get lots of use out of it)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 07:07 AM   #11  
luvmystamps3

Gosh! Sometimes 5 mintues, other times 30 minutes, depends on the idea I am working with!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 07:30 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

I find the design part takes the longest. Once I hit upon a design I like I will make variations of that particular card...so the first one may take an hour, but in an addition half hour I can make 5-10 more.

I will also make a bunch of a particular image at a time...once I have all the supplies out, might as well make a bunch. I keep a file labelled "partials" (images, backgrounds, etc.) and every once in a while I get it out and see what new things I can do with them.

--debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 10:03 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Time it Takes to Make a Card

I think the hardest part for me is the actual card design and colors. I did not start as a stamping up person so I don't have all the nifty colors to combine. I have to say that my favorite part of card creation is usually coloring in the image or trying a new technique not the actual mounting and creating the card. I've challenged myself recently to try to actually complete cards and not just create card pieces. It seems to be working so far. Doing VSN the other night made me realize that I spend forever making cards. I have to say that learning to CASE some of the stuff here is helping with efficiency as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 10:21 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Received 142 Likes on 66 Posts

Forever! The other night, it took me an hour and 45 minutes to case a card from here. But I do admit to chatting a bit during that time, I was at a friends house and she was scrapping and I was stamping. After my first sample of the card, the other three were done in 30 minutes. Anyways, it takes me a bit of time. I'm really, really slow at it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 10:42 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Another vague "it depends". I can be really fast cos I already have the idea in my head - stamps, colors, etc...all in mind. That can just take minutes. Or if I have to draw it out, can't get it quite right, it can take a long time and I give up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 10:45 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for all the replys. They make me feel alot better as I feel I take forever.LOL Like you all I have cased some cards from here and they don't seem to take as long as when I try one on my own. Guess the creativity part has been done for me. I sat down on Sunday afternoon for about four hours and ended up with 15 cards. Mostly using the Botanicals set and In Full Bloom. Love those two sets. Hubby was reading Harry Potter to me. I am not as lucky as most of you in having all the colours to play with so maybe I should try out the Challenge on the limited use of materials.LOL The responses make me feel alot better about my stamping and card making as I thought maybe I was just exceptionally slow.LOL Thanks again. Nice to know there are others out there and that we are all different, but a few that are the same.
Stampingpat
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 01:09 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I make cards to give to charities. The easiest way to make a card (for me, that is) is to choose 2 or 3 stamps, stamp them with Versamark onto a folded half sheet of cheap white cardstock and then cover the card with chalks. I use M's chalks that cost $4.99 for 48 chalks. Usually I do big flowers and leaves like the old SU sunflower stamp or parts of Roses in Winter. I just use 3 or 4 chalks in different hues of pink or blue for the flowers and then follow up with several greens on the leaves. Then I just rub the card really hard with paper towel and VOILA! I have a pretty card. Sometimes I also overstamp the flowers or leaves with stamp pads. And I just run one of the darker color chalks around the edges of the card if it needs it.
For Balmy Breezes I just run a piece of chalk in light blue across the top, pink across the middle, darker blue for water just under that and then amber for the sand along the bottom. Then I just overstamp in dark brown and light brown ink with the palm tree and pineapple and other pieces to make a pleasing collage. Let the ink dry and rub hard. Looks pretty darn good for a 2 minute card!
I spend more like 30-45 minutes for cards I send myself...

Ring the bell that still can ring, forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets through. Leonard Cohen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on the recipient and the occasion. There are cards I whip up quickly - 10 minutes or less. Others, for say wedding showers or special birthdays I may spend 1-2 hours on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2005, 05:05 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

I've been stamping for a little less than a year now & have gotten a bit faster, when I'd first go to stamp camps, we could make upto 10 cards in the 4.5 hours for $10, I would be lucky if I made 3 cards - I couldn't seem to make any of the same cards - so everyone had to be original... Now I can usually churn out 10 cards in the allotted time. I've joined a local CTMH stamp club - which meets 1x a month & has a card swap - I just finished my cards for Aug & only took one weekend. Funny thing is it took me 4 cards, before I found a card that I was happy enough with to let others see! But I usually emboss & watercolor - this time I tried my hand at bleaching as well.

I think creativity (or lack thereof) is my main problem & the fact that I really don't have the paper or ink colors on hand to easily case (not sure what that really means, but I think I'm using it correctly) any cards!
Reply With Quote Likes