Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-16-2008, 06:49 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How has stamping/scrapbooking changed your life?

Just curious! I know some ppl do it for a living whereas some do it as a hobby. I know since I've really began getting into it as a hobby (to capture my precious moments in life) it has added new ppl into my social life, has expanded my idea of what creativity is and has been making me get to bed later and later every night. So how has stamping/scrapbooking enhanced or changed your life?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 07:09 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I joined a stamping club and have met some new friends.
I go to my LSS (several of them) and have become friendly with the people that own them and work there. I always have fun things on my to do list!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 07:12 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I've met new ppl in person and through my blog and this forum. I found my creative side and it gives me something to do on my down time while preserving memories and sharing handmade cards with ppl I care about.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 08:11 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I used to have money to shop for clothes, shoes, and bags...now I have money for stamps, cardstock, bling, embellies. :-)

Aside from that I can't tell you how many wonderful people I've met online or in person since I started stamping 8 years ago. People who have made a difference in more then what my cards and pages look like.

Another big thing is feeling accomplished. I've heard people snicker at my "hobby" then when they see some of the things I've done they all say "I never thought it would be so beautiful". I say the same thing every time, I know right. :-) I'm such a brat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 08:17 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Well first of all as mentioned above I have much less money for other things.

But I've made a lot of new friends and have been able to challenge my creative side.

My "real" job is in the pharmaceutical industry and is very analytical and scientific. Stamping/scrapping allows me to express a creative side that I didn't know existed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like others, I have less money for other stuff, feel more fulfilled creatively, and have met wonderful people IRL and online whom I never would have met if not for this hobby.

I also have something in my life that stays done. As a SAHM, there's so much I do that is repetitive ("elbows off the table!"), boring (waiting for DS at therapy), or never finished (think laundry and dishes!). When I make a card or scrapbook, it stays made. I don't have to do it again. Ever. Unless I want to.

I find this very, very satisfying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 08:49 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I think it has brought my family closer. I usually scrap about my granddaughters and family. When family members come over to my house, I always show them my latest pages and we all talk about them and the events I've scrapped.

My 6-yr-old DGD also scraps with me sometimes and has her own album which has led my DIL to do some papercrafting and scrapbooking too. This all gives us something in common and bridges the generations.

Starting to scrapbook 3 1/2 years ago opened up the papercrafting world for me, so I also make cards which I share with family and friends.

MY DIL was kind of shy when she joined our family. My son always encourages her to do a variety of papercrafting projects to bring when she's coming over for a birthday or holiday too. She made turkey hats for everyone at Thanksgiving and we had a blast checking out her customizations (my turkey was holding a pair of scissors and camera!) I'll be scrapping our Thanksgiving photos including the hats!

We all have fun with it and it's become kind of a *family thing.*

Click here to: Join us for the Scrapbook Challenges!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I have had a few other hobbies, but card making and now scrapbooking is so much more relaxing, I can sit at my desk and color or put cards together for hours and not even know that that much time has gone by. I do admit that I spend way more money with this hobby but with my DH supporting me and selling cards for me when he can it works out. As for meeting people, I have met a great SU demo who is a friend and there is all the people that I have met on SCS, I do admit that since I moved from the town that my demo is in I don't have any place to go for stamping nights, but I know that I will eventually find some others that are into cards and scrapbooks and we can get together, until then I will get together here on SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 09:01 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

I've only been stamping since August, but it has changed my life. I love it, and it is the ONLY thing that I do, that keeps my mind off my infertility struggles. I was calm as a cucumber during my last IVF, even feeling "crap I gotta stop making this card so I can go get my embryos transferred." That distraction is worth every penny I've spent on supplies.

Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Lots of wonderful new friends...many of them very close. Something to share with my two sisters in town that are as addicted as I am. No money for new clothes anymore..they are overrated anyway right? No time for anything but my hobby, I am always in my stamp room...lol And it has opened a door for me to do something wonderful for the troops and their families by sending them cards by the hundreds. I also help a couple area swim teams for fund raisers. Life is so good. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 09:09 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

What life! LOL Ever since I started hanging out on here all day with the SCS group, I dont do anything else productive! I do love hanging out though, so I would have to say the friends I have met and the incredible wealth of knowlege from the SCS resources and SCS folks in general have really increased the quality of my work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 601 Likes on 245 Posts

I have always been a crafter, dabbling in many different ones over the year. When I got serious about stamping in '92 and scrapping in '98, it gave a focus to my "creative energy" and it makes me feel like I have something to stick with forever.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I think it has become too big a part of my life. I tend to jump into things with both feet, so to speak, and stamping has been no exception.

I think I need to take a step back and focus on my family more. So my New Year's Resolution is to spend less time here (and stamping) and more time doing things with my kids.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 02:20 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

My job is so repetitive every year, with stamping I can finally have some "good ideas" on a regular basis. And, like someone else said, I can spend 3 hours on one card and it seems like 15 minutes (a trait my husband loves when I say "I'll only be 10 more minutes!").

And, I admit it, it makes me feel great when someone comments or favorites my card-so I get little warm fuzzies throughout my day that I normally did not get!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 03:04 PM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I stamp for relaxation and a creative release. Not to mention the tons of friends I have made through stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 04:21 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Well for me, not only do I enjoy the creative side but have met such wonderful friends......
I met one from this SCS message board and she's now my best friend.
We live in the same state but far apart (3 hours one way) however, we stay in touch almost daily.....via emails and send cards and stuff back and forth all the time. I just visited her and her family last week and it was a blast.
I'm so thankful for SCS just for that one reason.
Stamping and card making relaxes me...calms me and I enjoy the creating and giving part. It satisfies that part in me...to be doing and giving to one another.

We also do have a card ministry at our church....my dd and I are closer making and giving these cards away. So it's a family enjoyment as well.

Lori
Michigan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

After I started scrapbooking a few years back, I have found that I am much better at taking pictures. Making sure that I have a few horizontal ones as well as vertical ones. Different angles that I would never have thought of before.

And then I got into cardmaking, and now I use even the tiniest scraps from my scrapbooking on my cards!! 2 birds, one stone!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #18  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Talking Blessed!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZindorfView Post
I stamp for relaxation and a creative release. Not to mention the tons of friends I have made through stamping.
I started scrapping when a Career Coach I had encouraged me to "get a hobby". She said "balance would help my career". If she only knew :rolleyes: ...but she was right, I started Scrapbooking & it has changed my life! A couple years later I discovered stamping & SCS. Not only have I learned stamping techniques and been inspired to stretch my creative process but I truly believe I have been BLESSED by learning from wonderful ladies here the "Gift of Generosity". The giving and sharing that you see here is amazing. I've met many SCS Friends & been encouraged by their generosity, caring & friendship!

As a family at holidays, we always get out the scrapbooks and enjoy the pictures and memories together. It's a special time looking back over the years together sharing our favorite memories.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 06:05 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Enhanced my life? Hah!! Let's see, I have cleared out some of my clothes and shoes to make room for stamps, I have taken over about half of my bedroom for stamping stuff. My boyfriend says I am a little too addicted to this. Dishes pile up, laundry piles up, the dogs start chasing the dust bunnies...Am I having fun? Oh Yeah!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 06:24 PM   #20  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,400 Likes on 526 Posts

I'm not good at verbally expressing my feelings...I'm very uncomfortable with feeling emotionally close to people...but I can write volumes to someone (or no one!) about how I feel. I'll easily WRITE "I love you" but SAYING it is difficult. Scrapbooking and stamping allows me to "tell" my family and friends how much they mean to me. I use my scrapbooks as a diary of sorts. I don't scrapbook events much. I prefer to scrapbook thoughts, with photos to support the journaling, and my pages reflect a lot of symbolism.

Scrapbooking also helped me grieve our stillborn daughter. I have never openly grieved her, not even with my husband, but I felt free to do so in her scrapbook. I still add to it, over 4 years later.

In summary, scrapbooking and stamping has allowed me to process feelings and to share feelings with those whom I care deeply about.

Nicole
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 10:41 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,074 Likes on 824 Posts

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying cardmaking (not a scrapper) has particularly changed my life, because I've always had craft/creative outlets one way or another, but it's certainly enriched it with the number of friends I have made online, and then some of them in real life too. And it was certainly helpful to me after my mother died and I was finding it hard to play piano, so cardmaking at that stage was my main creative outlet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 11:07 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I use to do cards and scrap alone but in 2004 when I became disabled I started having far too much sit at home time. I started going to parties, retreats, classes and meeting so many local crafters that have become life long friends. Over the last year I have been much more active here on scs and meet so many wonderful people. Ofcourse the down side is the finacial strain but I love my crafts and the people I get to share it with and learn from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 02:49 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

Post Stamping Benefits.........

I just dreaded going to another "party" when my best friend sent me an invite to a workshop - I had never even heard of rubber stamping. But, like all the other "partys" I felt the obligation to go.....even arriving late as I "knew" how boring it would be....within 10 minutes I was hooked and have never taken to any other hobby previously like I have stamping.

The TRUE BENEFIT......"Stamping is cheaper than therapy" rings true. I have been treated for both chronic depression & anxiety now for 17 years. Once I got involved with stamping it helped alleviate some of it....especially the anxiety. That "obligation" became a blessing.....that was 10 years ago.

The other unforseen benefit and the biggest was finding SCS and meeting so many wonderful people (stampers ARE the best) and formed unexpected friendships as well. There are many people that have touched my life here in many different ways and for that I am grateful. At some time I know my stamping will end.....but the friendships I have formed won't and that is far more important to me. Thank you to all I have met along the way!

Blessings,
Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 05:01 AM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

It all started about five years ago when I received my grandmother's family photos after her death from my aunt. I wasn't sure what to do with all the 'duplicate' photos, so I started making scrapbooks. Then, as the photos dwindled away [and I had all these new supplies], I switched to card making.

About the same time, the wonderful womanly "change of life" began and my big sister said I'd "better get a hobby or go crazy"! Well, this craft [and hobby] has been a godsend for me. I've met wonderful people, exposed a creative side I never knew I had, and discovered I have a gift of patience (especially when I'm trying to attach a brad to several layers of cardstock!!).

I absolutely love this craft and all the good things it has brought into my life!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Wishing I was not at work but I have to pay for my hobbies some how! LOL!
Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by andibView Post
Enhanced my life? Hah!! Let's see, I have cleared out some of my clothes and shoes to make room for stamps, I have taken over about half of my bedroom for stamping stuff. My boyfriend says I am a little too addicted to this. Dishes pile up, laundry piles up, the dogs start chasing the dust bunnies...Am I having fun? Oh Yeah!!
That's not supposed to happen, who knew? But I agree with you!

Scrapbooking has enhanced my life by helping me re-live memories and events. Stamping gives me a way to relax, be creative and express myself. Stamping has given me a new outlook to how bad my OCD really is!

Plus, I love all the people I have met through SCS. Everyone here is outgoing, supportive, kind and most of all enabling. I have made a wonderful new friend through DSS (Divine Secret Sister), Mary, aka #1volunteer. We email at least once a day, sometimes more depending on time. I am so honored to have met her and to call her my friend. I really do wish we lived closer to each other but MA is so far from AL. Thank you SCS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have to agree with so many on this thread, in that I have found a comfortable place to play and be creative. It took a while for me to let go of the "it's not perfect" feeling, but now I just have fun. It isn't to say that I don't have that thought here and there, but now I finish it with "but there are no mistakes in crafting!".
I do this for fun, would love to do this for a bit of income down the road, but if it ever became work, then I wouldn't enjoy it as much. I have a few friends that I scrap with now and then, and have really enjoyed the people here and the amazing creativity that is shared in this community.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

I got hooked 5 years ago and immediately signed up as a demo to get my stamps at a discount--strictly hobby. But since then I've built up a wonderful business and am making money at what what just to be a hobby. But more importantly, many of my customers have become my very close friends who I get to share my hobby with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Before we used to have regular food for meals. But now, instant noodle & frozen dinners are regular here...heheh...j/k. Actually, my closet is now less of clothes/shoes and more of stamps & PP. And instead of eating out at lunch, I bring ramen to work. I'm not complaining one bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 01:01 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Less money
Less room (supplies take up a lot of room!)
More guilt (about not getting projects done)
More knowledge (about artistic techniques)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by wendella247View Post
She made turkey hats for everyone at Thanksgiving and we had a blast checking out her customizations (my turkey was holding a pair of scissors and camera!)
Oh wendella...you made me smile and laugh--thank you! How fun fun fun your DIL made these for you and your family!! I just love your turkey hee hee

Tammy O.
Reply With Quote Likes