Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-27-2014, 02:20 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does pricing on ebay get so crazy?

I have about 30-35 sets that I'll be selling soon, so I went on ebay to see what the going rate has been. Some of these prices are like :shock:.

I was looking at the completed auctions to base my prices on and I can't remember which set it was but there were a few of them that had sold in the $20-$30 range. But then there was this one set that went for $89?? It was the same exact set. I just don't understand why such a jump in price for the same set?

I do have about 4 sets that have been going for a good amount of money on ebay and I might try to sell them on there. Otherwise, the rest of them I'll probably put on the buy/sell/trade list here.

I guess I'm not wondering why people try to sell sets at such a high price (I know there are people willing to pay) but I'm just baffled at the buyers who see multiple sets that they can get in the $20-$30 range but yet pay $89.

It's crazy. LOL

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 02:37 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree, you see some crazy stuff on there. I've seen stuff for sale, that is available from any craft outlet, yet people pay way over the normal retail price on E-bay. I don't get it, I really don't. I always have an idea of what I should expect to pay in a store, and a definite limit I will not go over. I know with things like stuff that's discontinued, it comes down to how badly someone wants it, like any collectors item, I suppose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 04:56 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I, too, have noticed the crazy prices on Ebay. It seems to be the trend in so many categories. I used to use Ebay as a "go to" source for used or discontinued items. Not any more. I don't get it either. I guess a person must want something badly enough to get them to pay the prices. More power to the sellers who sell at the outrageous prices, but I wonder if Ebay isn't putting itself in the category or so many other retail type settings in that they just charge too much so people quit buying.

For myself, with stamping items, the Buy/Sell/Trade forum here on SCS is a great way to get good merchandise wat what I consider reasonable prices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 05:45 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

I never understand it either. There's a particular old SU set that I've sort of been looking for for several months. But going at arpund $20 plus shipping was a bit more than I really wanted to pay for something that wasn't filling a "need", just a "like to have" set. I got it for $5 just a couple of weeks ago. I think some people aren't prepared to wait till they see things at a more affordable price. It's true, too, that some things are perceived as rarer and will always go for a higher price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 06:26 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I poke around on ebay from time to time, but rarely buy from them, unless it's a buy-it-now item at what I consider to be a fair price. From what I can tell, the sellers there are pretty savvy about how to list things to make them seem more desireable. I've seen currents SU sets advertised as Rare-Retired; I once saw a snowglobe set that was not SU go for at least 4x the price I paid for it at Michaels - the listing described it as "cuter than Stampin Up", so I'm sure that it came up in searches for Stampin Up Snowglobe and people were bidding so crazy because they thought they were getting the retired Stampin Up set.

But you're right, if you're willing to wait, you can get fair prices on what you want. I stalked BST here and e-bay for over a year for a Knobbly Gnomes set and was able to get a new, unmounted one on e-bay for about what it sold for originally, and I was happy with that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

OP here.

Since most of you have either sold on here or ebay maybe you can help me out.

For the majority of the stamp sets that I'll be selling, I went through ebay to find what they're going for so that's what I priced them at (not the highest price or the lowest but more in between).

If I sold them on here, do the prices seem about average with ebay (not the astronomical prices) or should I expect to price them lower?

Most of them are brand new (some mounted, some not) and a handful of sets have been lightly used with one or two sets a little more used but still in great condition)

Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say you should price them lower. I always come here first in order to find realistic pricing...ya know, from one stamper to another. If I can't find it here then I will go to Ebay...then Etsy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Another thing to think about when selling is how badly you want to sell the items. If I have something I am not sure that I want to sell I price it higher than if I really want it out of my house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

If you do list on eBay remember there are final value fees and then the Paypal fees on top of that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prices on ebay can go much higher if the seller is willing to ship to foreign addresses. There are lots of international buyers that have a hard time getting what's easily available to us. So they can be willing to pay much more. Once you have one of two of these people bidding, prices skyrocket as people can also get caught up in the excitement of the auction.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2014, 06:14 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalcharmView Post
If you do list on eBay remember there are final value fees and then the Paypal fees on top of that.
True - but the paypal fees apply in the bst forum as well, unless you are willing to accept money orders. And if you're willing to accept money orders, you have to wait longer for your money, so keep that in mind
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
True - but the paypal fees apply in the bst forum as well, unless you are willing to accept money orders. And if you're willing to accept money orders, you have to wait longer for your money, so keep that in mind
It is no big deal to wait for a money order to arrive.

Personal I think it is rude to make a customer on Ebay or the BST forum here, pay for the paypal fee.

Seller should put the fee INTO the cost of the item they are selling, or not charge that Additional paypal fee at all.

I have let to buy from a seller here on the BST forum here that states "Additional Paypal fee's" in their sell thread.

Just put the fee into the cost of the item!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2014, 07:32 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I read an article years ago about Ebay. Reason why items go so high, is because it is the THRILL of bidding for people.

Some people get hooked on it.

Bidding WARS start the last few minutes before the time close.

It is crazy on some SU stamp sets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2014, 08:15 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatTailsView Post
Prices on ebay can go much higher if the seller is willing to ship to foreign addresses. There are lots of international buyers that have a hard time getting what's easily available to us. So they can be willing to pay much more. Once you have one of two of these people bidding, prices skyrocket as people can also get caught up in the excitement of the auction.
I personally still won't pay over the odds, even though I may have to wait quite a while (months, even longer) to get the set I want with international shipping at a fair price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

As a buyer and seller on Ebay for many years now; I can attest to the THRILL of the auction factor driving the price up.

In the first two years I was on Ebay, mostly as a buyer, I ended up bidding more than I intended to originally because I had been the "high bidder" for a few days and was already thinking in my head that the item was "mine". So when it came down to the wire and the bidding took off it felt like something of mine was being taken from me so I'd add $5.00 to my high bid! Sometimes I won ( with regrets for spending more than I wanted to ) and sometimes I lost.

I then learned about "sniping"....a bid made by people who jump and bid within the last few
seconds of an auction....supposedly by using some kind of computer software...

I finally calmed down about the whole thing and realized that very often the stamp set I was after would probably become available again so I stopped raising my bids past what I thought was a good price.

As a buyer I will "watch" an auction I am interested in up to the last day without making a bid. Without bidding early and becoming "high bidder" too soon I don't feel any sense of attachment to this particular auction and keep myself from getting crazy about it. This also lets me see if the bids are already past my comfort zone so I can avoid bidding at all if it has already passed my set limit. If not, I will put in my absolute maximum as a high bid and I refuse to "increase" it. If I lose, that's just the way the cookie crumbles. Luckily, I have never wanted any sets deemed "extremely rare" and gotten my heart set on acquiring them no matter what! :-)

I've sold more on Ebay than here in the B/S/T thread. On Ebay I can usually start my auctions at half of what the set cost new and get that amount or more if people get interested. Here, even when I lower my price below half I have gotten more rude comments about asking too much or even trying to "rip people off" by my pricing. Even when it's line with other people selling the same things!
I don't mind if someone wants to ask NICELY if I would consider a lower amount...I usually will just to be rid of the stuff; but to be accused right off the bat of being greedy or something ticks me off. Consequently, I haven't put much out here for sale.
But on the plus side I have bought some sets or supplies I really wanted from people out here and my transactions have always gone well and I am pleased with what I bought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

I'm posting from my blog reader on my phone so I can't quite see everyone's post. Please forgive if I repeat someone's answer.

I buy ebay all the time, just not as much as I use to unless I'm looking for something specific. I get frustrated, because of the price difference too. Jewelry findings I do better on than scrapbook things. Stamps and dies are all over the spectrum. I see a pad of G45 paper going for $45 and it's not retired... and the postage is like 14 bucks. That's so insane.

I just watch what I'm looking for and hope for a good price. I won't pay an insane price. If I'm supposed to have it I'll win with a comfortable bid or I don't get it.

Unfortunately there are those on there that take advantage of people who live in the boonies and buy online and they have to cover the cost of selling on ebay. If you're the seller you do

Amazingly, what I have had great luck with is posting what I want or what I want to sell on craigslist. There is a lot of crafters that sell their unused stuff for ridiculous prices. I have made so good sales and made some happy new crafters very happy. I've also found great deals.

I love ebay though......just get annoyed with the greedy people out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2014, 12:59 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm going to try to sell a couple sets on ebay and see what they get. Can't hurt to try, right?

Then in a couple weeks, I'm having a yard sale and will put whatever sets I have out there. Hopefully, a few will sell. Then what ever is left and whatever other things I have for sale, I will list on here.

The thing is, is that these sets are all of my mom's and they're still brand new (about 95%) so she's looking to recoup some of her money back but doesn't want to take a big cut on them either, ya know? That's why I'm having such a hard time to price them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I buy and sell on eBay a lot. Expect to pay between .50 - 1.50 eBay fee if it sells for under $20 and then double that amount for the paypal transaction fee. Build that and priority mail shipping into the cost of your initial requested price. Free shipping is for the simple minded folks who chase shiny, blinky things. They don't realize that the price for shipping was already built into the initial price of the item.

Use flat-rate priority envelopes (5.60) for single sets or two very small sets or a medium flat rate priority box (12.35) for multiple sets. Buying and printing the postage on eBay will save you about .50 per package and prevent you from standing in line at the post office AND the tracking number gets automatically emailed to the buyer so you don't have to send a separate email to them. The shipping materials are free (except bubble wrap). Order them online at usps.com and your postal person will bring them to you. The padded flat rate envelopes are nice!

Here is why I insist on priority shipping. Buyers get cranky if they feel like they have to wait more than 5 days for their treasure and are more likely to downgrade your feedback as a result. Priority is 2-3 days AND it comes with $50 insurance and tracking at no additional charge. This has helped me on multiple occasions when a buyer says they never received the package because I have a tracking number for it that indicates when it was delivered. The insurance has covered my losses for items that become lost or missing, or buyers who lie to you.

Example - an item that sells for $9.99 will have fees of 1.77 and shipping of 5.60 for a total of $2.62 profit. Up the initial asking price or don't offer free shipping in order to make more profit.

OR - donate the items to a legitimate charity and take a tax deduction on your cost of the stamp sets instead.
Reply With Quote Likes