Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-12-2011, 03:04 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you Price "garage sale" items?

:?I have tools such as hand punches, trimmers a tote and of course a few stamps, and stamp pads. Never sold my excess stuff, always gave it away.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2011, 04:13 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold my stuff recently for 40% off. It was not a traditional garage sale, but I had my stuff out when I had my last class of 13 stampers. I advertised it as being just like using your 40% off coupon for M's and J's. I sold a few things but not as much as I had hoped. I actually sold more of my cards than my supplies.

If you have a LSS that hosts a garage sale, that is what has worked out best for me over the years.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2011, 04:21 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

I've only sold stuff via a garage sale at my LSS.

I just wanted my stuff gone so I went at least 50% off retail if not more. For example, I sold stamp sets that retail for $16.99 for $7.

My stuff was definitely priced right as I only came home with two items. As a buyer I would expect to get stuff at least at 50% off retail but would expect even better than that on some used items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2011, 04:56 AM   #4  
Inking Addict

I am an true blue garage saler. Most of my scrapbook stuff comes from these sales. I know this is going to kill some of you, but in our part of the country, a paper punch (bigger one) would go for about $3.00 or $4.00. Why would I pay 50 % off a used item when I can go to the store with a coupon and get a brand new one? If you want to sell you got to have good prices, and be willing to take less then price yo ask for. For people like myself, getting them to take less is half the fun. Now, if you just want to box your stuff up at the end of the day price high, and refused to budge. Hope this helps. Deanna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2011, 05:25 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I could not even sell a paper punch for $3 or $4 at a garage/yard sell. I had 6 out and only sold 2 at $2 each. Guess it all depends on the area you are in and if you can advertise "papercraft items for sell".

Ended up donating most. I could not even sell the "old" su stamp sets here on SCS. Go Figure!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2011, 06:18 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I had a garage sale recently, and sold stuff at rock bottom prices. I'm making no money by storing it in a box, so I was happy to just get a buck or two for some items. We all hope to recoup some money on our impulse purchases, but the truth is that it's hard to give some of this stuff away. The market is flooded with this stuff, so there's no big value attached to most of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

There are only a couple of Items I would want to bring home those I'll price "Higher" Thanks!
Bev
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama grokeView Post
I am an true blue garage saler. Most of my scrapbook stuff comes from these sales. I know this is going to kill some of you, but in our part of the country, a paper punch (bigger one) would go for about $3.00 or $4.00. Why would I pay 50 % off a used item when I can go to the store with a coupon and get a brand new one? If you want to sell you got to have good prices, and be willing to take less then price yo ask for. For people like myself, getting them to take less is half the fun. Now, if you just want to box your stuff up at the end of the day price high, and refused to budge. Hope this helps. Deanna
I agree. I won't buy anything from a garage sale unless the price is really good. Our LSS has garage sales a couple of times a year, at the last one I bought a Fiskars paper crimper. There were three there, one was $3, one was $4 and one was $5. I took the $3 one home, the sellers took the others back home with them.

Free cat hair with every card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

In my small rural area SU retired stamp sets go like wildfire for $5.00-$8.00 each. That's about all the market will bear here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2011, 03:59 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I priced all used stamps at 50% off and the rest depended on how bad I wanted to get rid of it. I even had some free items. I figured like others that it wasn't doing me any good sitting in a box unused and anything that didn't sell I donated to a charity for the tax write-off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just had a sale Thurs. and Friday and didn't sell a single set. I had $25 sets marked at $3 or 4 and they didn't sell - not a one! Some had never even been used. I was really disappointed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen3000View Post
Just had a sale Thurs. and Friday and didn't sell a single set. I had $25 sets marked at $3 or 4 and they didn't sell - not a one! Some had never even been used. I was really disappointed.
WOW Karen. I would have grabbed all you had at those prices. I guess some people just weren't in the market for the stamps. I love to shop at garage sales but never have one of my own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Just a tip for those who are thinking about selling at garage sales. Take the time to post some of your items on craigslist to entice people to come. I listed specific items like a tandem bike trailer, Thomas the Tank Engine and Buzz Lightyear toys, and of course, stamps/papers/crafting supplies. You can even include a few photos, and the best part is that it's free. I did manage to sell a lot of ink cartridges, ink pads, wheels, etc. Not as many stamp sets, but that's okay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

We have our Village wide garage sales and people know that I craft/stamp that I sell alot of my items! I have them anywhere between $2.50 to $5.00 depends upon the item. Usually I make out very well and people come back every year to see what I don't want to use any more. Unfortunately, this year not having a garage sale but my girlfriend down the street is so I am giving her my little stash to sell. Hoping the usuals will find them down there. Maybe I'll put a sign in window...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #15  
ch
Mad Swapper

I just donate my excess to Goodwill. Garage sales are too much work (I have poor health). If you love the headache of a garage sale just price things way low, otherwise donate. It just makes you feel good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I made quite a bit at the last LSS garage sale, individual stamps were 1-3 dollars, most SU sets were 8 dollars or less. I never buy SU sets when ladies try to sell their stamps at 25-40 % off the original price so I knew I had to price things low. I sold all my unused ink pads with reinkers for 4.00 and they got scooped up so fast it was crazy at my table. The only thing I couldn't sell was the Scrappin Kits. I just used the mentality that some money was better than no money for supplies just to take up space in my craft room or garage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 12:36 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I price my stuff at a price i'm willing to pay if i was going to a garage sale and looking for a bargain - cheap. I sold stamps and inks and punches and card stock enough to fill two bags, made over $300 easy. I would sooner have the cash in my hand for items I just don't need anymore than to have to bring the stuff back home again. I think off hand that most of my stuff was marked around 25-40% of the original price (not off the original price)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Cheap is the way to go! I have had sales at home and craft ones through a LSS and I have a rule...it does not come back in the house so rock bottom prices!!! I always make a killing!!!
As someone who goes to yard sales, nothing irks me more than someone trying to sell a used item for 80% of what they paid for it!!! It's a yard sale you can't charge $50 for the "ab cruncher" that cost you $60!!! Seriously people!!!
Reply With Quote Likes