Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #1  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How Do You Learn Your Lessons about Stamping?

Experience is the best teacher, right?

This year, I resolved to use every image stamp I own and am off to a good start! I've already used all the images in about 14 SU sets (some of which haven't seen ink in a LONG time, LOL!), and I'm learning some unexpected lessons about stamping and my style:

1. Some images are WAY easier to work with than others, and I'm noticing patterns that will make future stamp purchases more reliable and less impulsive and wasteful. For me, the images that are block are fairly easy. Most outline stamps are okay as well, although my coloring is primitive and needs work. Images that are speckled (think Wildlife Reserve, Buggies and Booties) are really, really hard for me to work with. I love these images, but my style is too "crisp" and clean for them generally. This has helped me decide what to get rid of and what to keep, and what I need to buy to fill in the resulting holes in my collection. I feel like a more informed buyer from this lesson.

2. You don't have to have the newest stuff to have lots of fun! This really surprised me. A lot of the stamps I worked with this week are old and discontinued SU or Hero Arts stamps. But they are lots of fun anyway. I'm especially jazzed about stamping with rubber more, as I've been using clear stamps from PTI and Hero a lot lately. My stamp positioner hasn't had this much use in a few years, LOL, but I find it's not annoying at all. The impressions from real rubber are just really nice, and I love the feel of a wood block.

3. Using up my stash isn't as scary as it once was. I used all my Hero Arts felt poinsettias today and am not in the least bit sad. Go figure!

4. I'm really glad I have a stash to begin with. Having on hand lots of colors of paper, ink, and embellies makes the creative process easier. I'm also using a wide variety of inks, and mixing and matching much more easily than in the past. I had started regretting spending so much money on all the different inks in particular, but don't feel at all bad having tons of different ones now. In fact, I wish I had more of the little pads like dew drops and cubes. I'm loving blending them on block stamps for added dimension to the stamping.

5. Having all my embellies organized by rainbow colors rather than item is really, really helpful and I'm glad I did it.

If you made it this far, can you tell me what lessons like this you've learned? What things have you done that helped you grow as a stamper and make wiser decisions when buying. Was it going unmounted, organizing your space, making some sort of resolution like a spending freeze or some particular purchase that was wise and helpful? Please share your thoughts on this...curious minds want to know!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Red face

I just started stamping this past year. I have a difficult time not buying every fun thing I see. I went to Anchor Paper this morning meaning to buy a box of envelopes for $10. I discovered they also have everything else one could use to scrap or make cards. Sooo now I have $75 worth of brads, punches, stamps, etc. Do you end up buying everything? How much is too much? I think it is the lesson I need to learn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

mycatbillybob, the one thing I did early on that I truly regretted was buying so many stamps. It took a while for me to catch up with other stuff, like good-quality paper, embellishments, inks, and such.

I also bought too many tools that I ended up never using. Some of that was unavoidable...how do you know you don't like something until you try it, LOL? But I wish now I'd had SCS then. I would have looked at the cards I loved and bought what I need to make cards like them.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow ~ this is a great question and I can't wait to read some of the answers . . . and you are reading my mind with the first four on your list!!
(I don't have that many embellishments, so I have never tried #5!)

I definitely am more discerning in what stamps I choose. I do like a wide variety but I'm finding now that I only buy what I know I love and I will use. I haven't had a stamp-buying regret in a long time.

It is really liberating to start using up those supplies ~ there will always be something wonderful, right? And it's sort of the same thing as trying to use all of your stamps. If you don't get to using it, you'll never find out what works for you and what you really love the most.

I'm glad, too, that I have plenty of cool stuff to choose from ~ but I do wish I didn't get quite as many SU ink pads so I'd have more room for others I'm liking now. And I wish I didn't have quite so much SU cardstock ~ I need to get into a mass-producing phase and make a dent in it.

I'm also learning that as much as I fall in love with all kinds of DP, I can make my own with backgrounders and other stamps.

Going unmounted was one of the best organizational decisions I've made. I have a relatively small stamp space so this was crucial. It's another reason I have to be very careful with what I purchase.

Thanks for starting this thread, Susan!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I've learned from going to stamping clasess to 4 different stamping classes. One was a private person who did not use Stampin Up Stamps. I got my feet wet with her. Then, I discovered Stamping Up and I go to 3 different stampin up demonstrators ( that I support) who have 3 totally different styles, but sometimes use the same sets. (They don't know each other) I also tap into Split Coast techniques and the blgs from split coasters. These are great. One secret I learned about stamping solid or specked images is to use whisper white card stock. It makes a 360% difference in the image. Try that. I also realize you don't have to buy everything (this after I bought over 500 sets). But I'm buying for when I retire and will be on a very limited budget and I'm buying a lot of stamps for my students to use at school for special occasions. (Those I will sell later ) I'm trying now to limit myself to tools for the most part .

Another lesson is to catalogue from the beginning. I make a two copies of the stamp set. One I tape to the inside of the box (in case I use more than one set at a time as a combination & also to know I got all the stamps back if I loaned them to a friend) and one I put on a sheet of notebook paper, give it a number and put it in a plastic sleeve in a binder. I file my stamp sets on there side by number in filing cabinets that are full suspension. That way I don't have to worry about their weight (never paid more than 25 for a filing cabinet. Picked them up in yardsales or auctions) Next I organize the binder according to subjects (Ex. Christmas: sets 3 19, 456) Since the binder has a picture once I decide what set I want I just go to the filing cabinet drawer and pull it. The number also tells me where to put it back when I am through so I can find it the next time I use it.

One other thing I learned is that a piece of WAXED dental floss when cut longer than the size of the cardstock you want to remove works the best. Simply slid it under the corner of each side of the cardstock and pull down alternating sides. Works great when you put the cardstock down crooked or forgot to glitter something on that piece of cardstock and don't want to get glitter over everything.
sam

sam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I just finished a major cleaning of my stamp room and my, oh, my what a big stack of things I have to give away to my stamp buddies. So what did I learn??

1. Don't let your friends, instructors, demos, and SCS get you into a buying frenzy. I love tools but other than stamps, the most expensive things I have to give away are tools (stampress - what a waste, fastenator - yew!, and so many others). I bought these things because I was more influenced by others than using my own common sense.

2. I don't have to have every color (SU! colors I never liked and will never use but they were part of the almighty set ..LOL; did I really need all those Distress inks, love glitter but how many shades of red do I really need?)

3. Packs/tablets of paper (way to many pieces leftover after I used the ones that I loved). It is nice that they coordinate, but there is too much waste.

4. Bargins and coupons - I have to keep reminding myself that 40% off is still 60% on. No more shopping just to use the coupon

5. Magazines and books - I have so many where there is only one or two things of real interest. Now I take time to read through the book/mag before I buy it. Unless there are several things or one absolutlely have to have article, I skip it.

6. No more cheap tools - I've bought cheaper tools (scissors, rulers, etc.) only to find that I end up buying quality tools because they last longer and work better. I didn't really save anything in the long run. Now, if I can't afford the better brand, I'll wait until instead of buying cheaper.

7. Ribbon - goodness gracious, how many shades of red do I need. I bought ribbon because it was on sale thinking that sometime I'll need it. Well, it seems that there are some shades that I will never use so it wasn't such a great bargin.

Ok this is getting long - but here are a couple of things I've been doing and will continue to do so

a. Always have a back-up blade for the paper trimmer because I've learned that my blade will become unuseable at 2 am

b. always have one back-up roll of tape for my ATG gun because in the middle of a rush job that I'm finishing at 2 am I'll run out out of tape

c. Never, never, never have your fingers in the way of your very sharp titanium blade craft knife (can we say multiple band aids)

d. Never, never,never have your cofee cup sitting near your work in progress unless you plan to make coffee stained background paper

e. check your wastebasket before you empty into your trash can because you never know what might have fallen into your waste basket (can we say lost c-thru ruler, a brand new stamp, a marker still in the LSS bag)

Ok that's enough as I'm sure you stopped reading long ago but let's just say I've learned a lot and thank goodness, I'm still learning as that is what keeps me interested in this wonderful hobby...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Gosh, are we all in the same Titantic boat going down fast???
Everything you girls have said is my lesson learnt.
I have stopped buying magazines because after boxes and boxes of them never to be touched again just taking up space.
Totally agree on the cheap tools - leave them in the store.
Don't get me wrong because I still buy from other companies but I really have learnt to buy my colors such as paper/ink/markers/embellishments/ribbon from one. Then everything matches and when you go on SCS mostly everything is the same to work with. I still buy stamps from other companies.
I also do the organization of stamps in a binder, you can't imagine how helpful that is, and saves lots of time.
I see so many girls in Michaels or where ever looking at a particular item and I just want to run up to them and say don't buy that - its junk, really. I haven't done it yet, but I really wish someone would have told me that on some of my purchases....
The big thing I've learnt is I'm glad I'm at the point that I'm really thinking about my purchases and I don't have to be buying constantly, just use what you have.
Kathy

Last edited by K. Benko; 01-10-2009 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: I said it twice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I learn my lessons by making big mistakes and fixing them. I love UNDO! It is my favorite "tool".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
What things have you done that helped you grow as a stamper and make wiser decisions when buying.
Hmmmmm. Good question, Susan!
  • That I can use one strong visual image and a great sentiment to make a nice card. In the end, no matter what the price per stamp is, there is no value in buying all the stuff you won't use, to get the one thing you would. So if all I *really* want is one image in a set and know I'll use it, but the others, not so sure . . . skip the set, and try to find a single image that fits my needs.
  • Based on personal experiences, cheap is cheap and usually more expensive in the long run than simply investing in quality at the beginning.
  • Some things are just always worth buying in 2s, like cutter blades and good glue pens. There is nothing worse than being short, and no access to replacing it when you need it.
  • You can get a LOT of mileage in basic simple punch shapes, like circles and squares, and having them in as wide a range of sizes as possible, gives me a lot of flexibility.
  • If you're gonna buy 1,000 brads, get basic neutrals, like silver, black, etc. You will probably never use even half of 1,000 of those neon green ones . . . :rolleyes:
  • Some things pre-fab are definitely worth the extra cost than trying to make them yourself.
  • That I like and use cube/dew-drop sized ink pads far more than full-size and they take up way less storage space.
  • It is always worth investing in storage and organization so you can find things when you need them.
  • If you haven't used it in a year, sell it. You're never going to use it, no matter how much you like to pretend you will. ;)
  • Try a little bit of anything, to see if you really like it, instead of bulk buying.
  • And, never bulk buy gold embossing powder; it'll tarnish looong before you ever use it all up, and it does not look so good tarnished . . . And, definitely tightly seal any gold EP you do buy, even if its a small quanity, in something air-tight, to avoid it oxidation.
  • Keep your loose glitter in a plastic tub with a good lid; it's easier to spoon glitter over the top, and let it fall back into the tub, than trying to funnel it back into those little jars . . . and MISSING. :?
  • If you don't take a little time to clean your stamps, you'll probably ruin a project . . .
  • Ribbon is always a good embellishment to have plenty of. But keep it tethered to the spool instead of precutting, to reduce waste. Precutting can waste 6" of ribbon! :shock:
  • You'll never regret owning a Versamark Pad--so versatile!
  • Stamp in good light; there is nothing more frustrating trying to make color selection in bad light and ending up with a project where the colors end up hideous together
  • If you like what you made, and have all the stuff out, make 3-4 more; you'll have 'em on hand when you need 'em later on, instead of scrambling at the last minute!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I have to agree with what has already been said. Other things I wish I had known before include:

1. Ink spots work just as well as the full-size pads, take up less space, and are less expensive.

2. Don't get caught up in the previews. If you wait you'll have time to truly think about what you have and need versus want, and you generally won't wait as long for your order to arrive because the company isn't swamped with other orders.

3. You don't need the exact stamp/paper/ink/tool someone used in a cute example to make something similarly cute.

I'm doing better about not adding to my stamp stash, but have to admit the paper and tools are still calling my name. Luckily (?) I'm on a crafting supply budget these days, so I'm not spending without thinking carefully before hitting the "submit" button. It, also, doesn't hurt that I've been collecting supplies for 7 or 8 years now. ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
[*]And, never bulk buy gold embossing powder; it'll tarnish looong before you ever use it all up, and it does not look so good tarnished . . . And, definitely tightly seal any gold EP you do buy, even if its a small quanity, in something air-tight, to avoid it oxidation.
Crud! So that tub of gold probably isn't as pretty as it was when I bought it 5 years ago?

I'm guilty of buying too many things in bulk to get a better price (think tins). My cupboards can attest to this, and I'm doing a better job of holding back these days, but it won't make the stash I have disappear any quicker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 04:46 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Default Lessons Learned

1. Keeping a wish list and not buying something as soon as I see it and want it. It also serves as a reminder when I add something that there was something else on the list that I maybe wanted more. I don't know how many things that I have marked off my list without getting it because I later decided that I really didn't want it that bad after all or I found something similar later that I liked a lot better.

2. Finances have keep my spending in line so I don't have to have the newest greatest things. Often I have found that whatever the latest gadget is I can get the same effect with stuff I already have. I sometimes remind myself of what I used to tell my son when he wanted the newest sports equipment like a $400 catchers helmet when he was 11. "Honey, when you start making money from playing baseball, you can use it to buy any equipment you want." He was on the state high school all star's team his senior year as a pitcher.

3. Set limits on things that I tend to go overboard on. I have a case that holds 12x12 paper and I can't buy anymore than will fit in that case. When it starts to get kind of full, I can't buy any new until it is at least half empty.

4. I don't buy lesser quality suppies (ie paper, cardstock, ink, stamps, etc) because it is inexpensive or on sale. I buy less quantity but better quality.

5. I buy basic colored elements such as brads, paper flowers etc and make the majority of my own embellishments.

6. I have found my style. When looking at stamps or paper that I like I stop and think about whether it fits my style or not. I like other styles that people do but when I am making something they just don't seem to work for me. That way all the stuff I have seems to coordinate better together as they all have a similar style to them.

There are lots more but that's my list for spending.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

I think finding your style is key. Once you know it you will many times avoid buying something on impulse when it doesn't suite you. Also, spend your money on quality not quantity!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

1. More coloring options, and fewer stamps. You'd be surprised how different you can make those stamps look by the different coloring options. Not only ink pads, but colored pencils, watercolors, Twinkling H2O's, Pearl Ex or Perfect Pearls. (And I always try to buy the reinker when I'm buying a stamp pad. Reinkers can be used for watercoloring, spray washes, etc.)

2. And DON"T buy every color of embossing powder under the sun. If you have a nice collection of pigment inks, you can use clear EP.

3. If you like rubons, try to find similar stamps. Much less cash layout in the long run. (Same with stickers.)

4. I'm a big fan of sentiment stamps - you can double or triple the use of your image stamps by using different sentiments with them.

5. My biggest time saver - when I make one card, I make another one - maybe not exactly the same, but it saves me time since I have all the stuff out anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow, these are wonderful. I've learned a lot just reading these.

I'm still learning and making mistakes, but I think the bigest thing for me that I finally got through my head -- just a few months ago, really -- is that it's not a requirement to use the 40 percent coupon at Mike's. I can throw it out. The worst are the special 50 percent coupons. I was going and buying stamps just because it was 40 or 50 percent off. This was when I really didn't have a lot of stamps. Now, unfortunately, i've got more stamps but some of them are the coupon specials and I know deep in my heart I'm never going to use them. So it was a waste of money, not saving money.

The other thing, and I think it's related, is that I'm finally finguring out my style. Crisp and clean with a few layers. In the very beginning, when I didn't know much and didn't know about SCS at all, I bought a bunch of eyelets and an eyelet setter, the kind you need a hammer for. I've never even taken it out of the packaging. I'm never going to use it. Just thinking about hammering gives me a headache. Now that I have enough stamps I can sit on my living room floor and look at them all and see how my style has finally come through. Now I know what I like and what I don't and I am trying so hard not to be swayed by sneak peeks or monthly reveals or sales.

The other thing is what someone else said -- with sentiments you can make the same stamp look different. This has really worked for me. I've got a simple samp of flowers in a vase that Ive had since I started stamping about 5 years ago. I've used it with birthday, anniversary, get well, sympathy, and congratulations sentiments and it all looks fresh and new.

And, it's true -- having a variety of pigment inks and using clear EP is even better sometimes than colored EP. Saves money and space from buying so many things, too.

Also, I've finally got it through my thick head how to make my own DP. I've got so much that I bought -- on sale at MIkes -- just because it was pretty. Not because I thought I might use it one day. It's a waste -- of my money and of trees. I finally gave some of it to my 6-year-old niece to do her arts & crafts with. Making my own backgrounds and DP makes me feel like I've really learned stanping.

And the last thing I've learned is that it's ok that some people think it's silly. My feelings aren't hurt. This craft/hobby keeps me sane, and that's all that matters. Everyone's got one thing in their life that helps them get through the day or week. When someome night ask, why do you do that, or what's it all about (and doesn't ask to learn) I say only, it makes me happy. And that's the most important thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Default Lessons about stamping

One of the things I've learnt is to get rid of the things you don't use. They take up valuable space and also remind you of the crazy purchases you made when you started.
I go through the catalogs or stamping web sites and think how would I use this stamp and how often could I use it? I check the gallery to see how others have used it and consider if it is appropriate for the cards I will make.
I also do my own sentiments on Microsoft. This has saved me plenty as most of the sentiments I have purchased are never the size I need for the card I am making. I also print all my sentiments for inside the card making it more personal for the person it is designed for.
As for tools, don't be so quick to purchase the latest, they are not always the best investment.
But the most valuable lesson I have learnt is to not beat myself for making mistakes. There is always a learning curve when you start a new job,crafting is not any different. Enjoy your craft!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

I learned:
1. that it is OK to borrow stamp sets from your upline, sideline, friend, customer, etc.
2. that if you truly like a set, buy it.
3. repurpose your swap cardfronts to make cards for hospitals, nursing homes, etc to use (trim a little and attach to Whisper White or Very Vanilla caardstock)
4. never use glitter under a running ceiling fan.
5. Always have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 03:59 AM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Wow! When I posted this thread, I thought most people wouldn't make it through the first two paragraphs! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thought processes in such detail. Lots of really good lessons here, for all levels of stampers!

Anyone else want to share?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 05:01 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Over the last few weeks, I have come to the conclusion that I have waaaayyyyy too much stash in my room, More than I can cope with right now.

So on that note I have decided to have a purge and send stuff to free cycle.

There are a few tools I have regretted getting as they have just stayed in the box never being used, Ink pads I have a ton on Aidrondack pads that never get used :(. Pots upon pots of embossing powder, What was I thinking:p.

So slowly I am trying to decide what stuff to get rid and what to keep, it feels good so far. As the stuff I have given away I have not regretted. I feel this is a good sign.

I have put myself on a stash ban for the next few months, gives me a chance to use what I have.

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 05:16 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampindoeView Post
I learned:
1. that it is OK to borrow stamp sets from your upline, sideline, friend, customer, etc.
2. that if you truly like a set, buy it.
3. repurpose your swap cardfronts to make cards for hospitals, nursing homes, etc to use (trim a little and attach to Whisper White or Very Vanilla caardstock)
4. never use glitter under a running ceiling fan.
5. Always have fun!

I love #4 TOO FUNNY!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 09:29 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just want to add that I think the lessons contributed here are all so helpful! I wish I had THIS thread to read when I was just starting out. It's a keeper and I'll be rereading it many times. Thank you LateBlossom!!

Thanks to everyone who has taken so much care with their thoughtful responses. You all amaze me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

My Lessons learned:

1) I don't need every stamp in the New Catalogue. I am really trying to keep the number of stamps I purchase to a minimum. And only buying a set if I don't have anything already like it.

2) If I don't use it, sell it. I have my keeping so many sets because they are cute. But if I haven't stamped with them in the last 6 months, they have to go!

3) Use what you have before you buy more. I am addicted to designer paper. But I have now gotten into the practice of using all of the current paper I have before ordering another package.

4) Out of sight, out of mind. I have some many embellishments that are hidden away in drawers. If I don't see it I don't use it. so I have been moving things on to my desk. Yes my desk is cluttered... But I'm finally using stuff I bough ages ago!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

For me, one of the biggest lessons I've learned is not to hoard. When you think about it, most of our supplies really go a long way. More importantly, hoarding leaves you with old, out of style stuff that was perfectly good when you first bought it, and is now dated. USE IT!! NOW!!
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargirlView Post
For me, one of the biggest lessons I've learned is not to hoard. When you think about it, most of our supplies really go a long way. More importantly, hoarding leaves you with old, out of style stuff that was perfectly good when you first bought it, and is now dated. USE IT!! NOW!!
What excellent advice! I am a big hoarder and I have to wonder why do I do this? I am trying to use up some embellishments that have been around awhile if nothing else, to make room for new ones - LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

This is a great thread! I've learned to read reviews (including what you guys think on here) of new products and stamp companies before diving in and waiting a little while to purchase something. Even though I enjoy Papertrey's monthly product releases (and have some instant gratification issues) I have told myself to wait till the next release and then make my purchase (this also saves on shipping costs). This gives me time to really see SCSers and bloggers use these stamps and either strengthen my desire to buy that set or make me realize that it's not for me afterall. My first few stamps were Michaels purchases but I quickly found that what they have is so not my style - and then I discovered these independent stamp companies (PTI, LizzieAnne, Cat's PJs, etc....) that have wonderful images, great quality and superb service! Without these great companies and resources like SCS and paper/card crafting blogs I would not have kept at cardmaking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Late Blossom don't discount those speckeled (stippled) stamps yet. I love these ones because it guides me where to shade, however still like the outline stamps for a clean look. Organizing my stuff and getting rid of stuff I don't use keeps me from spending alot of time looking for things too. I make at least 6 of every card now. I seem to use them up without a problem and it brings me satisfaction/pride that I have a nice card in a pinch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 01:22 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Over the last year I have finally started learning my lessons.
Over 13 years of buying every cool thing around and every magazine ever printed had me barried in stuff.
I sorted, organized and divided all items by type. Note: Tupperware modular mates are wonderful in the craft room to divide the ribbon, glitter, glues.
Once I saw how much of each thing I had it was scary. I have over 30 glue stick that I never use and only 4 atg refills. I have over 20 pair of decorative scissors that I have never liked and another 15ish pairs of craft scissors. I learned that it is worth saving for the best of the best when it comes to tools and cardstock. I started giving away, piffing, trading and clearing out years worth of things I will never use. I learned that if you are going to keep tons of magazine group them by month so you can easily go back and grab a christmas or spring when needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 03:35 AM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by polargirlView Post
Late Blossom don't discount those speckeled (stippled) stamps yet. I love these ones because it guides me where to shade, however still like the outline stamps for a clean look. Organizing my stuff and getting rid of stuff I don't use keeps me from spending alot of time looking for things too. I make at least 6 of every card now. I seem to use them up without a problem and it brings me satisfaction/pride that I have a nice card in a pinch.
I'm planning on getting rid of most of my stipply sets. I bought almost all of them 3 to 8 years ago and have to MAKE myself use them. Yes, you get guidance for shading, but my coloring skills are terribly lame to begin with, and the "rustic" or "vintage" style is one that I love to see other people do but can't seem to pull off to my own satisfaction. I do plan on keeping Letters to Friends and Wildlife Reserve...not sure why other than I LOVE the images. Lovely as a Tree is also a keeper, but I never use the oak tree anymore. I love empbossing the winter trees or stamping the pine on an inked background in a solid color. Somehow, I can make that work for me!

I'll just admire the work of others and stick to my own strengths! That makes me happier in the end.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 04:25 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

I have learned not to be so set in my ways!

I find products that I really love and then when I can't find them in stores I find myself not wanting to deviate - well sometimes trying others works out just as well!

Organizing is key. Once I find a way that works it helps even more!

Stop stressing when I am creating. I used to stress so much, but the last card I made for my dad I just DID it, no stressing about it, and it was the only one ever that he commented (good things) on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 05:58 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've learned that I'm a visual person....if I can't see it, it won't get used. So all my embellies came out of the closet and onto the shelves next to my desk. Which also caused me to pare down on those neon green eyelets I'd never use.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I put all the items I don't or won't use into boxes and keep them in a spare room and my mom, sister, friends, customers "shop" thru them when they're over.

Never buy a set for one "have to have it" image.

Learn by making mistakes. I've had a bunch of cards end up in the trash before making one I'm really truly happy with.

Pay attention when stamping...if you don't accidents will happen. Ask me how I know.

Check your trash can before emptying!!!!! Cats like to play with small stamping tools like the scoring blade for your cutter or the memory card for your camera and these items will end up in your trash can.

Keep learning and growing. Always try new products (in small quanities and only if it's something you like) and new techniques. Styles and trends are always changing.

Once you finish a card let it sit for awhile then go back to it and ask yourself is it too much or not enough.

Buy tools that do more than one thing. And buy the best. Versatility is the key in this hobby.

Sentiment stamps are your best friend. As they can take an image and turn it into a multitude of card options.

Organization is key....if you don't know where something is, or if something is someplace that doesn't make sense you won't use it.

Share. Your stuff, your talent, and your time.

My Blog -- Shannon's Sentiments
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 03:27 AM   #31  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by wifeladyView Post
This is a great thread! I've learned to read reviews (including what you guys think on here) of new products and stamp companies before diving in and waiting a little while to purchase something. Even though I enjoy Papertrey's monthly product releases (and have some instant gratification issues) I have told myself to wait till the next release and then make my purchase (this also saves on shipping costs). This gives me time to really see SCSers and bloggers use these stamps and either strengthen my desire to buy that set or make me realize that it's not for me afterall. My first few stamps were Michaels purchases but I quickly found that what they have is so not my style - and then I discovered these independent stamp companies (PTI, LizzieAnne, Cat's PJs, etc....) that have wonderful images, great quality and superb service! Without these great companies and resources like SCS and paper/card crafting blogs I would not have kept at cardmaking!
ITA! I sat on the BIA and the ScorPal for months and months before committing the $$$ to them, and have been very satisfied with both purchases. I've also avoided the Fastenator and mini sewing machines directly because of reviews here. I'm happy I passed. It's so cool to have our very own crafty consumer reports right here!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 07:31 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
ITA! I sat on the BIA and the ScorPal for months and months before committing the $$$ to them, and have been very satisfied with both purchases. I've also avoided the Fastenator and mini sewing machines directly because of reviews here. I'm happy I passed. It's so cool to have our very own crafty consumer reports right here!:-D
me too!

ITA!

you can do all your investigating right here! there is so much wisdom and talent on SCS!

love that, and thanks for starting this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I learned that the Stamp To Spend challenge has curbed my spending and I�m actually using up my hoarded stash.

I learned that Wish RAK is a great way to get stamped images without having to buy stamps!

And best of all - I learned that it does me no good to make cards and then tuck them away into a box � never to be shared. My resolution this year is to actually give them out! I rounded up 72 cards and sent them out as Thank You�s to the people who donated to my 3-Day Breast Cancer walk in July.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 11:50 AM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Oh gee, using up stash! I am getting better at actually using it, but I need to stop having hot sweats when I use it! I have hundreds of stamps, so actually using them all is a no no at the moment. I guess I have used all of my stamps at some point. Great thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #35  
Embossing Fanatic

1) % off coupons can be left in the newspaper- because I am not working at the moment I think before I shop to get my stamping fix. Should have learned this when I did cross stitching --
2) Get and stay organized, If what you have now is not working, re-organize again. It will help you see what you already have and hopefully get you excited to use it.
3) Share -- If I buy paper, brads, powders, etc., multiples that can be split I send 1/2 to my sister and she does the same with me. We both get a nice variety of stuff to try.
4) Don't hoard. What is the use of having all the stuff if no one gets to see it.
5) When and where possible go to make and take classes or get together with friends to try out new stuff and techniques. This way you will see if the product or set is one you really like. Can't tell you how many things I have bought and then either didn't really know how to use or really disliked it when I did.
6) Cut up your magazines and keep only what you want to try. Then share -- even though some of the pages are missing, the person you share with may have different tastes -- or have a different idea for recycling. If you can't bring yourself to do that donate them to a library -- I lived for the library when we first moved to Cleveland and craft magazines were a life saver because I didnt have to spend money or find a way to store them in that tiny apartment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #36  
Compulsive Stamper

Great ideas... I'm subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Great thread!
I too have tried to stop hoarding! The more organized I get the more I realize I hoard! It is like someone mentioned earlier- if you hold onto it it will be "out of style" by the time you use it. If you use it right away, then you can always buy more!!!
I am fortunate to have an 11 yr old niece just get into scrapping. As part of her christmas present I gave her a 12x12 plastic box FULL to the brim with stuff I purged- it's all brand new, unsused. So I figure it will be a good gift for her to get her started, until she figures out her own style!
Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

A huge lesson I learned was take a good photo inventory ... on Oct 6th my home burned and I lost everything. Inventory for insurance was very rough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #39  
Glitter Queen

I never thought to inventory all of my supplies for insurance purposes, but you are right - it would be a terrible loss!

I have been much better about scanning my completed projects. Wish I had thought to do that years ago. Now I just have dim memories of some of those Christmas cards from way back when!

I, too have learned the value of organization, and keeping the things I use the most close at hand. I same a lot of time now that my inks and embossing powders are all on the wall in front of me.

Ditto the people who mentioned an overload of embellishments. When I first discovered brads, eyelets, etc., I couldn't get enough! Now I am much more judicious in my buying AND use of them. A little goes a long way . . . and sometimes more is just more, not necessarily better.

Lastly, I have learned that new is not always better. One of my very first interests in the paper-crafting world was dry embossing. I still love it, and tend to incorporate it into many of my designs. And while I now have a Wizard and a handful of embossing folders, my heart still belongs to all my little brass templates and embossing stylus. I love the result and find it more satisfying that a lot of the new and "improved" things I have tried since!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have learned that if i see someone in the store looking at buying something i have not been happy with....i give them my opinion on it in hopes that they will do the same to me.
Reply With Quote Likes