Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-23-2011, 05:33 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you even BEGIN designing your craft room?

I won't be able to design my own craft room until one of my boys moves out and I can take over their bedroom. LOL So I still have atleast a couple more years to go.

BUT---I like to dream and I know that I would love to have all the white cabinets that I see in all the pics that I see on here. I also know that right now, I want light purple walls.

But anyhow, how do you know how many cabinets you need? or drawers? or shelves? How do you know what kind of configuration/floor plan that you want? Did you look through magazines? or did you get your creativity from looking at pics on here?

Any tips?

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 06:08 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I measured the room, marking the windows and doors. Then I drew it on graph paper.

Then, I measured the one stamp holder I already had (a Stanton Cart from Home Decorators). I also knew I wanted IKEA Billy shelves and some sort of IKEA desktop. From there, I made little templates to scale of my cart and the options for the IKEA items. I played around with the layout and figured out exactly which items fit in the space.

Then I went to IKEA and bought what I needed.

My space was limited. It's an "L" shaped room and I needed to fit the guest bed in somewhere. I ended up putting it in the short end of the L, and left myself the entire long wall for my craft space.

From right to left:

IKEA Billy bookshelf hold all of my papers and inkpads The Stanton Cart holding all of my wood mount stamps is to the left of the bookshelf.

New desk I got one set of drawers for a support on the right of the desk, and used my existing rolling plastic drawers under the desk on the left.

To the far left is another Billy Bookshelf which displays my collection of Fisher Price Little People. I suppose I could move the collection someday, but I like it there.

I'm so glad I made my little scale drawing. I needed to maximize my use of the space.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 06:57 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 811 Likes on 332 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maslexView Post
I won't be able to design my own craft room until one of my boys moves out and I can take over their bedroom. LOL So I still have atleast a couple more years to go.

BUT---I like to dream and I know that I would love to have all the white cabinets that I see in all the pics that I see on here. I also know that right now, I want light purple walls.

But anyhow, how do you know how many cabinets you need? or drawers? or shelves? How do you know what kind of configuration/floor plan that you want? Did you look through magazines? or did you get your creativity from looking at pics on here?

Any tips?
Since I'm a practical person, and was on a budget when I set up my studio several years ago, I began by using what I had. I had my childhood bedroom furniture. A desk, dresser and night stand chest- all white French Provincial style that was popular for girls in the 60's. I always loved that furniture and it was still in great shape. I remember the day Mom and I picked it out, we were both so excited and thought it was so pretty. I decorated the walls with watercolor prints that had belonged to my Mom. The gold frames went well with the furniture. Mom bought the lace curtains for me before she died. For stamps, I couldn't afford much, so I bought Iris carts when they were on sale. In the closet, I have some shelves that hang on the rod, and clear plastic storage boxes holding more things.

Later, when my son left for college I inherited some black wrought iron shelves, and a oak computer desk. So at this point the whole light feminine look was gone, but it was stuff I had and in perfect condition.

I love the feel of my studio - it has so much of my Mom in it. It makes me feel good just walking in there ya know?

The only real problem with my studio now - the futon I obtained when last kid moved out a few weeks ago. It's nice, it's pretty, but I don't want it in there. I can't get it out unless it's taken apart first. DH thinks it's fine in there. He says I can spread out projects on it.:rolleyes:

Maybe I'll ask for a futon removal for Christmas! Think I'll get it???

Last edited by sc magnolia; 11-23-2011 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 07:32 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
The only real problem with my studio now - the futon I obtained when last kid moved out a few weeks ago. It's nice, it's pretty, but I don't want it in there. I can't get it out unless it's taken apart first. DH thinks it's fine in there. He says I can spread out projects on it.:rolleyes:
Actually, I admit to using the guest bed as part of my work surface. ;)

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

I'm getting ready to design my craft room as soon as our house is built (hopefully by March!). I spend a lot of time browsing the stamp room gallery here and at twopeas, two peas has a TON! I note the things I like or things I need to consider.

So far I know I'll be buying either a U shaped office desk from Coscto or making my own U shaped desk from Ikea. I'll need two of the smaller Ikea Expedits. I lucked out and was able buy a display unit that will be perfect for my DVD cases. And I'll be making ribbon, punch, and button shelving after seeing so many people making them.

All of these ideas came from browsing craft room galleries! Good luck in coming up with a room that works for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess it depends on how much money and room you have.
If you've got plenty of both, the world is your oyster!
Start by looking at photos of other craft rooms, then think hard (VERY HARD) about your own crafting style and whether any of the ideas implemented will work for you. Then window shop, measuring everything you see. You might even consider starting a little book with photos and measurements of things you might like to add.
Then measure areas of your room, make a mock-up using graph paper and little square and rectangle pieces as the furniture. When you figure out exactly what you want, then shop, shop, shop!

Me ... well, I've had to make do with what I had: an old metal desk, a door laying on top of two two-drawer file cabinets, an old bookcase and a night stand. I've since added a couple pieces of pegboard on the wall and a few plastic rolling carts with drawers. It's ugly, but it works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a very small space. It's a room, but basically I have one wall with the way the room is designed. I have cabinets, but only the ones that would "fit". My FIL then built me shelving to fill the area left. He put in under cabinet lighting for me--which I love. Best part of my whole craft room is the lighting. I can scrap regardless of the sunlight conditions and I have no lamp to work around.

I also got really honest about how I scrap. I prefer to stand. That may sound odd, but I'm way more efficient standing. I'm always reaching up or digging for something, so a chair would just be in the way for me. I do have a stool to lean against, but mostly I stand.

Think about what you have, how you want to store it and how much your stash will "grow". That will also help you design based on your storage needs. For example, the upper cabinets (yes, I have white ones...and my room is tan/purple!) really are not as useful as my lower cabinets. They are not as deep, which makes it difficult to store some things in them. Also...I have to keep a step stool nearby because I can't reach the top tow shelves very well. And I'm not that short!

My FIL also built me some paper storage that is awesome. It has 12 by 12 on one side and 8.5 by 11 on the other. I store mostly just my solid cardstock in there and it's very nice. I did have to add a "shade" for it, as my papers were fading, even with my blinds shut most of the time.

I wish I had more work top space. Between my Tonic cutter and my Cricut, much of my counter space is used. But adding a table is not very likely due to the size and crummy LO of the room. My next house will have a room that lends itself toward a larger workspace and room for a friend to join me in that room.

Keep that under the cabinet lighting in mind, though....it's da bomb!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I would begin with lighting needs. Maybe that overhead ceiling fan isn't enough. You may consider adding some canned lights or drop down lights above your VERY LARGE workspace. I like to position my back to the wall facing the door or the flat screen tv where the football games show up on sundays while I work. OK, maybe yours will have a movie or the news - whatever!

Then I would look at easy to reach storage, and in the closet (don't need it as often) storage.

My floor was carpeted so I laid down an extra large plastic covering that I got at an office store to go under the wheels of my oh-so-comfy and ergonomically correct rolling chair.

That's just to start...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

I think there are a couple of important items to consider.

1.) Do you like to see all of your options out in the open, or do you like things neat and tidy behind closed doors? A combination of both? This will matter when you decide between open shelving and cabinets.

2.) Lighting...super important. Will the space get direct daylight? Indirect? Will you need overhead lighting, or are you comfortable with lamps?

3.) Flat surfaces...I never seem to have enough! What would you like your work station to look like?

4.) Desk height or counter height? For me, I really prefer working over my projects, so I prefer counter height. And then that leads to...

5.) Chair or stool? Back or no back?

I also think that paint color for walls can be important. You want something that will make you feel happy and creative, but some colors can really throw off and affect the lighting, changing the color of your projects.

In the meantime, have fun planning! I'm always plotting my perfect space! I would LOVE the entire line of Martha Stewart craft furniture at Home Decorators. Maybe some day! I also love to look at magazines, like Creative Spaces (from Creating Keepsakes), Where Women Create, and Studios.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My biggest concern would be where the plug ins are at.. I have to digs round for mine and its a pain! My room is 7ft x 16 ft. and will take my 2 desks ut not back to back - no room to push around 2 chairs if my GDD is with me.
Next would be lighting. get as much as you can if you love lights.
I have the 5 ft. Expedit and love it. Other than that I have iris carts and a 2 drawer file cabinet for 8.5 x 11 CS. I have had to make do mostly so I need better organizational things still. I love to see my stuff so prefer to have them in the open.. I am also short and have trouble with reaching to high up.. I drew a graph - not to scale and cut pieces in different sizes and colors to see what might work where before my Dh decided to put my desks back to back - he though he was helping but he didnt think of anyone else being in there with me.. Now he wont move the desk so I'm stuck with it - way to heavy to move! wish it was on casters! LOL Good luck, go slowly and it will fall in to place
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #11  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 811 Likes on 332 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
I think there are a couple of important items to consider.

1.) Do you like to see all of your options out in the open, or do you like things neat and tidy behind closed doors? A combination of both? This will matter when you decide between open shelving and cabinets.

2.) Lighting...super important. Will the space get direct daylight? Indirect? Will you need overhead lighting, or are you comfortable with lamps?

3.) Flat surfaces...I never seem to have enough! What would you like your work station to look like?

4.) Desk height or counter height? For me, I really prefer working over my projects, so I prefer counter height. And then that leads to...

5.) Chair or stool? Back or no back?

I also think that paint color for walls can be important. You want something that will make you feel happy and creative, but some colors can really throw off and affect the lighting, changing the color of your projects.

In the meantime, have fun planning! I'm always plotting my perfect space! I would LOVE the entire line of Martha Stewart craft furniture at Home Decorators. Maybe some day! I also love to look at magazines, like Creative Spaces (from Creating Keepsakes), Where Women Create, and Studios.
Mary Rose,
You expressed the needs of a craft room perfectly! You reminded me that I need to add an ott light to my Christmas list! I have a wonderful large window, but even in SC the sun doesn't always shine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

We are moving in the early spring and I am hoping to have a room to myself for my crafts. I have no idea what I want or how I want to configure it. I do know I would like three stations...one for my sewing machine, one for paper crafts and one for beading.

I think the easiest way would be to sort my packed stuff into the three piles and see what amount of storage will be required for each pile and go from there.

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

You're supposed to design them? Wow! My room already ahd a countertop down one wall (it was at one time a darkroom), so i started with that. I then took inventory of what we had in our old house (shelving from closets, etc.) that I didn't need for our new house. Then I started trolling CraigsList. I found a DVD shelf for my stamps (holds SU clamshells perfectly), an old kitchen dinette table wiht formica top for my worktable, an old school desk for DD's workspace, wire shelving for paper storage and two office chairs. It isn't matchy-matchy, but is sure functional for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

My thought is that you have to know how you use things, how you look for things, and what you're comfortable with. I LOATHE drawers unless I can see the entire contents at a glance, which means they have to be shallow. I need A LOT of light, so I have two fluorescent "shop lights" over my table - no shadows, easy to match colors, etc. However, that means that papers have to be in closed storage so they don't fade. I think it's ridiculous to have to buy "specialty" pieces to contain something I use, so I don't. I bought a regular filing cabinet and cut most of my 12" x 12" papers down to 8 1/2" x 11". I don't even buy 12" papers anymore. I organize ALL of my embellishments in "color drawers" (the small three-drawer plastic ones), including ribbon (which I remove from the spool and wind into little coils that fit in the drawers). All of my stamps are unmounted rubber or photopolymer and stored in Iris photo cases. Think about WHAT you use and HOW you use it, and start from there...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Forgot to mention that you shouldn't be surprised if/when your perfectly-planned room needs tweaking. Mine has morphed at least fifteen times in the past five years. Right now I'm noticing that I need a desk devoted to "deskish" tasks - writing, looking through magazines, etc. =)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 01:06 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabestampin'View Post
I'm getting ready to design my craft room as soon as our house is built (hopefully by March!). I spend a lot of time browsing the stamp room gallery here and at twopeas, two peas has a TON! I note the things I like or things I need to consider.

So far I know I'll be buying either a U shaped office desk from Coscto or making my own U shaped desk from Ikea. I'll need two of the smaller Ikea Expedits. I lucked out and was able buy a display unit that will be perfect for my DVD cases. And I'll be making ribbon, punch, and button shelving after seeing so many people making them.

All of these ideas came from browsing craft room galleries! Good luck in coming up with a room that works for you!

Maybe I'm not seeing any craft room galleries on here, but I would love to browse through pics of everyone else rooms. And what about magazines or books that are devoted to organizing or planning a craft room? Any suggestions!!!

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 03:16 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

There is a SCS Stampin' Spaces Gallery - lots of pics (over 6,000)! TwoPeas has a gallery, too, I hear, but I've never checked it out... There's a publication called "Where Women Create" that spotlights different designers/artists and their spaces, and they have a BLOG too. I did a Yahoo search by typing in "organize scrapbook room", and TONS of links came up! Plenty of resources out there - maybe TOO many (overload...)!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 05:22 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I really can't tell you much, because my craft space isn't that great, but I dream all of the time and can maybe help you! I think that if you don't need to have matching furniture, go to yard sales. They will help you save money. For cabinet space, buy a few cabinets, and just add more gradually for the other things. Keep in mind that your craft space will most likely grow. Lighting would probably be overhead lights and lamps, if you need them. Just make sure to keep your paper away from any direct light, because it might fade. Other then that, have fun creating!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

my advice to you would be to not underestimate your need for clear,wide open workspace. Get as much horizontal space as you can. Your craft room may go under many transformations before you are comfortable with it. The things that have not changed for me is the need for workspace,drawers and shelves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 07:08 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I started by listing my wants. I wanted at least three work stations, lots of counter(24.5 feet), visible ribbon storage(rain gutters), stamp storage for clear, cling, wood mounted, etc. I wanted a cutting station too. I think a room is a constantly changing project as something works until you outgrow the space and need to improve again. My room is 9'10" by 17'5" with three windows and four doors in it, making it a real challenge. I'm on my fifth room set up, as we have moved more than I ever dreamed. LOL Son built me an awesome punch rack that hides behind the door, you can see it in my gallery. Hubby and I have just one corner of my room to build yet. I don't like the cabinet that houses my wooden stamp sets and am changing to open shelving for that purpose instead. I want my room to look good but refuse to spend a small fortune on it, as I may want to change it again. I hate getting rid of something that once hurt the budget. I am fortunate to have a hubby that loves helping me to accomplish my dream space! I have been at this craft about 13 years and it's amazing how much stuff you acquire! It takes me longer to pack my craftroom than all the rest of the house! Will have to post pictures of my new space soon. Right now I am busy using it with getting my Christmas cards ready to mail!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 08:12 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Sue
You made me laugh when you said your room morphed at least 15 times, I have been working on mine for about 2 yrs. I started by using the furniture the kids left behind and moved into the basement bedroom when my son left. I also had furniture I didn't find useful but put up with it as I really didn't know what to do with it.... after many changes and planning ( I kept checking sites to see what worked for others and what was appealing to me) then I considered my creative style and slowly started to put together a plan. I finally moved out the furniture I did not need and purchased some furniture from Ikea, I got a rolling cart some expidits, added a table (I already had a desk and unit that functioned well for me. Purchased some shelves and I have finally completed my room. The only thing I am not happy with is the lighting and that is my next project. I have lamps but I do not find the lighting to be sufficient for my needs.
So my tip for the gals who are starting up is to take your time and think things through, be prepared to make some changes along the way and think about your creative style before going ahead.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't have built-ins but I got a custom L-shaped work surface made and installed in my crafting area. I began designing my room around furniture I already owned and wanted to keep (two Ikea bookshelves, a plastic drawer unit, a 12x12 paper rack) and went from there.. I started putting patterned papers and cardstock on the work-surface, as well as my sewing machine, big shot, slice, Ott light, and tim holtz craft mat for my work area... I have since moved the configuration around a couple of times to suit my needs - and i could only find that out by working in the area and finding out what worked and what didn't...

My advice would be to really discover what kind of crafter you are. I CANNOT work with all of my stuff in cabinets and drawers. I would never use anything!! I have to have all of my papers/stamps/embellishments stored out in the open so I not only know it's there, but so I use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

I love gregzgurl's (Sue's) ideas about only SHALLOW drawers, and about organizing embellishments by color. I haven't found a solution I like yet for ribbon - right now I'm using two SU spinning inkpad holders that I don't need now (DH bought me a BEAUTIFUL wooden holder that holds everything - inkpad, marker, and re-inker - all together, plus gives me a small shelf on top!). Ribbon rolls fit in the space for the inkpads, but it's a pain to look for just the right roll. I'm thinking 48 shallow drawers, each marked with a SU color??? No...I'll probably go with color families instead... Love the idea, though - I guess it's time for another craft cave morph.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 12:33 PM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

I actually design workspaces for a living so hope I can help here. First thing I have my clients do is identify HOW they work & what they need TO work. Example: I like to work standing up (no, I do NOT know why!), I tend to multi-task, if something is not out & at the ready, I'll change my mind about using it and I pile instead of file. So, my ideal work space would be a counter-height table, centered in the room (not butted up against a wall). This allows me to walk around all 4 sides and work on different things w/out having to clear away another project in progress. Close by but not part of my work space would be my frequently used, but not necessarily everytime used, tools, such as my Cricut, out of season stamp sets, Sizzix machine & dies, printer, large trimmer, etc. I'd have them set up so they're ready to use when the need arises. A bank of cubbies would help me organize my "piles" (instead of a filing cabinet or a standard bookcase). A set of drawers - maybe a rolling cart - underneath my desk would house my everytime use things, or as I like to call them, the "quick grabs" (pens, rulers, cutter, papers organized by color code because I tend to categorize by theme instead of manufacturer, size, style, etc). I'd also want a peg board with my tools & punches on a nearby wall, and a bulletin board for my ideas & inspirations, a television w/TiVo and an iPod docking station are a MUST.

So, if you were working with me, here are the steps we'd go thru:
Step 1: Know Thyself. First & foremost. Understanding what you need & how you need it in order to work effectively & efficiently helps map out the rest of the plan.

Step 2: Take Inventory. What do you have now, how do you use it, how frequently do you need it & how do you remember it; AND, what else are you planning to get? If you have alot of 12x12 paper then you need an organizational system that accommodates the 12x12 size. If you access your paper every time you're working on a project, then you're going to want & need that within easy reach. Do you remember what paper you have by pattern? Manufacturer? Color? Theme? Size? If you're like me & work by color scheme, then your organizational system has to accommodate a 12x12 size AND have enough sections to cover the array of colors you own/use (or will own). Don't just plan for what you have now - remember that life is dynamic, ever-changing, so also take into consideration what you might be adding to your inventory over time.

Step 3: Identify the Space's Full Purpose & Use. If your space is ONLY for you & crafting, then all is well. But if the room is also the guest room or the study or the home office or the kid's den (or all of the above), then you need to accommodate what is essential to those functions as well, and incorporate them into your overall space plan.

Step 4: Measure & Plan the Space. List out every piece of furniture needed and all the functions of the room, then begin mapping out a plan of what will go where. Reference & check off the list. A sketch on paper is GREAT but even with accurate measurements sometimes things just don't fit for whatever reason... So frustrating! Laying newspaper out on the floor can really help you get a feel for traffic flow & work pattern, but it won't help with mass & depth - boxes come in handy for that, if you have access to them.

Step 5: Research Your Options. Now that you know what you need & how you'll use it, start looking for what best fits the bill. IKEA is a fantastic resource, but I love repurposing something I already own. Makes for an eclectic mix, but I find that inspiring. If you're a buttoned-up neatnik, you may prefer matching pieces & cabinets with doors. Again, Know Thyself.

Step 6: The Essentials. Lighting, seating, flooring, etc., and anything you cannot live without in your space (like me with my must-have TV with TiVo).

Step 7: The Finishing Touches. Color scheme, artwork, accent lighting, knickknacks - the things that bring life & personality to the space and things that you find inspiring while you work.

I hope this is helpful! I'd love to know what you come up with and if anyone has anything to add to my list.

Thanks much!
Dawnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
I guess it depends on how much money and room you have.
If you've got plenty of both, the world is your oyster!
Start by looking at photos of other craft rooms, then think hard (VERY HARD) about your own crafting style and whether any of the ideas implemented will work for you. Then window shop, measuring everything you see. You might even consider starting a little book with photos and measurements of things you might like to add.
Then measure areas of your room, make a mock-up using graph paper and little square and rectangle pieces as the furniture. When you figure out exactly what you want, then shop, shop, shop!

Me ... well, I've had to make do with what I had: an old metal desk, a door laying on top of two two-drawer file cabinets, an old bookcase and a night stand. I've since added a couple pieces of pegboard on the wall and a few plastic rolling carts with drawers. It's ugly, but it works.
Melissa, I think your craft space sounds perfect! I love that you've made good use of what you already had on hand. My kind of re-purposing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

When my husband suggested I make our spare bedroom into a stamping room, I began searching SCS and the Internet for pics of other's rooms. I found things I liked, and things that just weren't for me. I loved some of the furniture that is especially designed for crafting, but it was pretty expensive. I then visited the local unfinished furniture store and searched their catalogs. I found a couple bookcases for which I ordered extra shelves, a work table and chair, a cute little cabinet, a VHS tape storage shelf (for Cricut carts, etc), and two hobby carts. The store painted them white for me and my hubby attached the hobby carts back to back and put a nice solid table top on it that I use for my main work station. I love my room! It might not work for anyone else, but to me .... it's the greatest little room in the world! Good luck! I hope you end up with a space that you love as much as I love mine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Moving heavy desk?

First, to the person who has a desk(s) that are too heavy to move--have you tried "Sliders" or "Moving Men"? These are kind of a "shoe" with foam inside and slick plastic outside. You stick them under all 4 corners of the desk and then push it across the floor. We helped my grandma move to another room. My aunt had the sliders and I pushed a sofa & a heavy TV cabinet down the hall all by myself. When you're done, you take them out and save them for the next moving project.

Here's what I'd do for my craft room (also to be used as a bedroom). I'd put in a captain's bed (the kind with drawers under the mattress). I'd put most of my stamp sets in the drawers (I have a really nice index system that I use). I'd put pegboard and/or a magnetic bulletin board on the wall. That's the best place for me to keep scissors and such, or I can never find them. I'd get a magnetic knife bar to hold paper punches. I'd probably have to put some in drawers or cubbies, since not all have metal bases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

I love everyone's input! I am getting ready to redesign my room also. My son wants his bedroom downstairs in what was the computer/scrap room so now I will have the entire upstairs to myself. His room/my new room is small and odd-shaped so its a challenge but I love how I'll get to make it my own.

I also plan to repurpose most of my stuff from the stuff I have. The one thing I am really wanting is a "cutting area"...some cabinets with a countertop. It will fit in a cubby hole area in the room. I see that as a huge need that was not met in my old room. I never seemed to have enough room to cut paper and an area to store all the cutters I have. So that is one thing I am looking forward to getting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 01:30 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

When my DS went off to school my DH said take his room. I said "What if he comes back?" My DH said "That's why I want you to take his room!" ROFL! This Mom felt so guilty designing that room, lol. I don't feel guilty any more. ROFL!

I agree your room will morph a billion times so don't buy permanent items. In six months it could be a disaster and you will try to make it work since you paid good money for it. Declutter your room first, buy storage last.

Most of my home is designed like a Welsh cottage by the sea. This is quite funny since I am landlocked in the MidWest. I wanted my room to represent that. My craft room turned out to be French in theme with a lot of quirkiness. My DH loves it though even if it's mainly pink. He crafts in there too. I honestly blame the guinea pig and rabbit since they live in there. They helped with design concepts.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh, a Welsh cottage by the sea .... I bet your home is wonderful. I live in the midwest, too, and both my husband and I love the sea and that kind of decor. Maybe that's because we aren't close to the sea, huh?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default RE: Ott light

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
Mary Rose,
You expressed the needs of a craft room perfectly! You reminded me that I need to add an ott light to my Christmas list! I have a wonderful large window, but even in SC the sun doesn't always shine!
I got my Ott lights one on clearance at Barnes and Noble and one at Tuesday mornings. At the time, I didn't know anything but the recommendations I saw here. Boy did I get bargains! $20 for a $90 free-standing at Tuesday Mornings and $9.99 for a $30 at B&N. It pays just to stroll into the clearance sections wherever you are. Hope you find a bargain!

Jo Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #32  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was too lazy and cheap to bother with designing the entire room. It's a bonus room that has my computer, stitching and sewing supplies, etc. I got 6 sterlite drawer units, put away the serger to free up the table it was on, cleared off shelf space and made space in the drawers of my sewing machine table. It makes me think carefully about any purchase. I always ask myself if I have space for it.

I can see punches becoming a bit of a storage problem, but I'm wanting to go with thin dies, plenty of room for those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 253 Likes on 137 Posts

I designed my craft room from my DD old bedroom. My DH built all the furniture, so I could have it jut the way I wanted. If we ever move, I hope this stuff will work in whatever room will be my craft room. I know how I work, what kinds of stuff I have and how I like it organized. That being said, I do "reorganize" a lot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

We designed and built our house 11 years ago. When it came to my kitchen several things went into the design:
I wrote down all of my appliances, dishes, glassware, pots/pans, etc. Then I decided how I wanted to use the space. What I wanted to be in cabinets, what I wanted to be on the counter. This helped determine what type of cabinets and where they would be placed. I like to watch tv while I cook. So I positioned the tv in the family room where I could see it from the kitchen.

It's never too early to start planning and have fun with the process.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

I have been watching and reading this thread...I had the same problem a year or so ago when I decided to tackle mine...

I started with the floor plan and a closet design...Everything came into place after that...

Since you have time, draw out your room, make sure to use your closet to the full extend and all the wall space you can...Look at thrift stores, use office furniture stores and yard sales for the perfect desk or desks that will work for you...Mine came from the local garbage company when someone threw them away and I saw a fantastic deal!

My closet is 8' wide and 12' high...I have made use of every inch of it in floor to ceiling shelves, stacking drawer carts and 2 small side shelves...I made the shelf heights to accommodate the type of storage I was using and have built everything around that...

Shelves that hang on my wall for display also serve as hanging storage for packaged embelishments...

It's all about making it work for you...
Attached Thumbnails
How do you even BEGIN designing your craft room?-rubber-room-10-19-2011-011.jpg   How do you even BEGIN designing your craft room?-rubber-room-10-19-2011-010.jpg   How do you even BEGIN designing your craft room?-rubber-room-10-19-2011-009.jpg  

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #36  
Mad Swapper

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I still have a lot of work to do in my craft room and I have to move a single bed out I hope to get that done soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2011, 07:14 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandma6View Post
I got my Ott lights one on clearance at Barnes and Noble and one at Tuesday mornings. At the time, I didn't know anything but the recommendations I saw here. Boy did I get bargains! $20 for a $90 free-standing at Tuesday Mornings and $9.99 for a $30 at B&N. It pays just to stroll into the clearance sections wherever you are. Hope you find a bargain!
I have a nice desk OTT light I got from Tuesday Mornings too! It's great lighting and it was a great deal! I am thinking about getting another one soon--for the other end of my craft area.
I am playing with the idea of making a craft area in my basement. Right now my craft space is one end of our bedroom. It's a large bedroom and I have two desks on my end. My DH even has his roll top desk next to it. Yet I am thinking a nice craft area in the basement would be a good thing. It would take a lot of work, but the space is good. I am just toying around with the idea. I have to let it jumble around awhile, then one day I just do it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

I was looking at Michael's at the OTT light, had one in my hand, they were 40 % off and I thought I was getting a good deal when a lady who was standing beside me asked if I was going to purchase one. It was around $79.00, she told me that Costco carried one of the lamps and it was only $20.00 so I quickly put the lamp down and went to Costco and purchased theirs,,, of course I ended up spending more like $167.00 by the time I was finished shopping .... such is the irony of trying to save (sigh)
Jeannine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2012, 03:16 AM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

All these are great suggestions! I would only add...make sure you have double the surface space you "think" you'll need! I have quite a bit of horizontal surface space but I've learned you can never have too much of it!! Lighting is my other must have. Never can have too much of that either.

The rest is kind of going to be a learning experience for you, especially if you've never had a craft room. Someone else posted that their room has "morphed" many times over the years...mine too. What might seem terribly important to you now may end up not being much of a factor later on. One for me was thinking that all my surface space had to be counter height, since I scrap/stamp standing.

My scrap room is also my office so I switched from a regular height desk to counter height, searched for several weeks for the right rolling counter height chair only to discover that it is super uncomfortable to sit at my computer that way!! No big flat surface(floor) for my feet, only a rung, made for some achy hurting feet within a very short period of time. I kept readjusting my space so I could sit correctly but nothing worked. Since my old desk was not an option I am using a folding banquet table as my desk until I save enough for a new one! The counter height table is now in the garage where my dh uses it for his projects...he loves it!!

Last edited by klh54; 02-22-2012 at 03:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes