Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-05-2006, 05:45 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you dye ribbon?

I thought you were just supposed to rub the ribbon on an ink pad, but I just saw someone that mentioned using water and a reinker. The result of running it on an ink pad was terrible. I put the ribbon on a card, and the ink just ran onto the card. Could someone please tell me the right way to do this? Thanks in advance.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 06:00 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You can take a shallow plastic container and spray it with water and then drop some reinkers in. put in your white ribbon and wait for the ribbon to soak up the dyed water. I saw this in a blog. I'm sorry I can't attribute the author. It was someone here on SCS, but my mind is blank. Author please take credit!

It works. It works the best of all the dyed ribbon methods I've tried, but it isn't perfect -- just good! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

You use a small container, like one of SU's stamp and store boxes. They're little round plastic boxes with lids. Fill 1/3 to maybe 1/2 with water and then start adding drops of reinker and mixing until you get a shade you want. Then cut a length of ribbon and set it in the water. The longer you leave it, the darker it'll get. Then just run your fingers down the length of ribbon to get rid of excess water and set the ribbon aside to dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think it's AmyR that has a step by step WITH PICTURES (gotta love that!) on her blog...hang on...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 06:07 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

OK, here's Amy's blog. I had to go to the July archives and scroll down. I don't know if this link will go right to that section so you may have to look around. She also uses a water bottle sprayer, so I bet that's where Joan saw it...

http://prairiepaperandink.typepad.co.../07/index.html

Just don't forget to come back to us! It's easy to get sucked in to Amy's site, lol.....GORGEOUS pictures!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 06:26 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I lay ribbon down on an ink pad and lay the matching stampin' spot on top and press down and pull it through. It's fast and easy. I make a bunch ahead of time. It does dry and then it won't run at all.
Gina

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 06:26 PM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
OK, here's Amy's blog. I had to go to the July archives and scroll down. I don't know if this link will go right to that section so you may have to look around. She also uses a water bottle sprayer, so I bet that's where Joan saw it...

http://prairiepaperandink.typepad.co.../07/index.html

Just don't forget to come back to us! It's easy to get sucked in to Amy's site, lol.....GORGEOUS pictures!

That was a wise warning to be sure to come back to SCS. Amy has a great site! I thought her punch bookmark idea was fantastic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 06:32 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

You can also spray about 10 times from a spray bottle and add 2-3 drops of reinker into a snack zip-lock bag. Add the ribbon and close the bag. Work the ribbon through the water and ink. When it is the color you want, remove it with a plastic clothes pin. (A wooden one will absorb the ink) Hold the ribbon with the clothes pin and dry with your heat tool. If you have ink left in the bag you can seal it, label with color and store it until next time. Or, you can throw it out and start again next time!
My Blog- Trusting in the Lord for Everything Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight. My Stampin' Up Website My Gallery, BRAK New Member Mentor. New Grandmother to Mia Lou. 1st Grandchild.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 06:56 PM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

lol Thanx you guys. Yes I did a ribbon dyeing tutorial on my blog - the direct link is here:

http://prairiepaperandink.typepad.co..._grosgrai.html

I HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 07:19 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks for the directions everybody!! They were great! Amy your site is awesome. I just did this is and came out great. I wanted to do pixie pink since SU dosen't sell that color ribbon, and now I can make my own! Thanks a lot everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 07:28 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

We will feature Amy's tutorial soon on the resource page at splitcoast! Because she ROCKS!

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 08:12 PM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Are you only interested in dye-ing techniques, or are you looking for ways to color ribbon? Today at my stamp party, my demo showed a card sample with grosgrain that was colored with pale plum on one side and perfect plum on the other. The subtle coloring really looked fabulous where the ribbon "backside" showed after it was knotted. This technique was done with pastels (chalks) using a sponge dauber to apply the color to each side of the ribbon. It looked like very expensive, French-style ribbon - oh la la!!;) As soon as I get some white grosgrain ribbon I'm going to give this a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 08:50 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow! That sounds awesome! I've got to go try this now!! Thank you so much for sharing this idea with us:-D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss
Are you only interested in dye-ing techniques, or are you looking for ways to color ribbon? Today at my stamp party, my demo showed a card sample with grosgrain that was colored with pale plum on one side and perfect plum on the other. The subtle coloring really looked fabulous where the ribbon "backside" showed after it was knotted. This technique was done with pastels (chalks) using a sponge dauber to apply the color to each side of the ribbon. It looked like very expensive, French-style ribbon - oh la la!!;) As soon as I get some white grosgrain ribbon I'm going to give this a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2006, 09:17 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, I was reading about that chalk technique from convention notes! I gotta try that, lol! Do you remember, did she have to seal the chalk on the ribbon? You'd think it was a "must do," wouldn't you???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 12:35 PM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Oh, I was reading about that chalk technique from convention notes! I gotta try that, lol! Do you remember, did she have to seal the chalk on the ribbon? You'd think it was a "must do," wouldn't you???
That I don't know as I just looked at the sample and was told how the color was achieved. I would think that it would need to be "fixed" in some manner to not make a mess on the card and envelope (to say nothing of your hands when you tied the ribbon!) I think I would give it a spray on each side with Krylon matte spray (because I have it already ;) ) -- I think this would set the color without making the ribbon stiff. Hairspray would probably work, too, if that's what you have on hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 08:07 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Just wanted to let yall know, I have dyed like 4 colors of ribbon so far and they have all come out perfect!!!!! Thank you all soooooo much!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 07:19 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCEmily
Just wanted to let yall know, I have dyed like 4 colors of ribbon so far and they have all come out perfect!!!!! Thank you all soooooo much!!!
Which method did you use - reinkers in a zippy bag or reinkers in a container? Did you dye grosgrain ribbon or something else? I tried the zippy bag way and it worked great! I did have to put in a few more drops of reinker than recommended, but I think that was because I was doing a lighter colored ink (Almost Amethyst). It turned out to be an EXACT match to the cardstock and still was nice and supple feeling like before it was dyed. This was so much fun to do and it wasn't messy at all! I'm thrilled with the results and am so glad I caught this thread - great ideas from everyone. Thanks for teaching me something new!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 08:25 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss
Which method did you use - reinkers in a zippy bag or reinkers in a container? Did you dye grosgrain ribbon or something else? I tried the zippy bag way and it worked great! I did have to put in a few more drops of reinker than recommended, but I think that was because I was doing a lighter colored ink (Almost Amethyst). It turned out to be an EXACT match to the cardstock and still was nice and supple feeling like before it was dyed. This was so much fun to do and it wasn't messy at all! I'm thrilled with the results and am so glad I caught this thread - great ideas from everyone. Thanks for teaching me something new!!!!
I put it in a small glass bowl. It worked really great, and it didn't stain my bowl at all. I used grosgrain ribbon. I dyed bliss blue, pixie pink, and rose romance. Thoes are the only reinkers I have so far..:p. Pixie pink is my FAVORITE color, and I was so mad that the new catty didn't have any ribbon that matched. I plan on getting a whole new roll of white ribbon, and dyeing the whole thing:mrgreen:(I only did a couple of yards so far).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2006, 05:05 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Cool idea with the chalk - Betsy where did you see these convention notes?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2006, 06:26 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I tried this, no sealing necessary. Worked great using sponge daubers and chalks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2006, 08:07 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I don't remember Shiloh using (or saying anything about sealing) anything to seal it. thanks for the reminder, I need to demo this to my customers!!:p

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2006, 08:56 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampwithdee
Cool idea with the chalk - Betsy where did you see these convention notes?
LOL, I can't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday!! Uh, boy, I don't remember specifically. It was just in one of the threads from convention that were being posted with demo reports, etc. I can't remember who specifically wrote it. Sorry!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2006, 06:09 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

No problem Betsy - I'll just have to hunt around some more - I should have gone to convention kwim?

To add to this thread, and bring it back, I experimented with the chalk technique mentioned before, the sponge pressing into ribbon dragged across the inkpad (don't have spots), the dye method, and the marker on ribbon method. I have to say, for the mess involved, the sponge pressing method was easiest and least messy. The chalk method gave a different look to the ribbon which was nice, and I can see how it is cool to have a different color on each side. But as far as all the ink techniques, I really didn't see a big enough difference in the final product to merit the mess. The marker method was quite easy, but there was some variation to the color on the ribbon, at least on my sample (hmm - user error?) Just wanted to add my two cents there in case anyone else was thinking of doing an experiment like that. For me, it will be ribbon on pad with a sponge holding it to the pad. And once in a while, pastels with the dauber are nice for something different. But I tend to avoid the messy projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2006, 06:55 AM   #24  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW-Great ideas. I had no idea about the chalk.
I wonder if it would work with Pearl Ex as well to make sparkly ribbon (I would think you *would* have to seal it)

On the SU grosgran ribbon I have also just used the brush tip of a marker to color it. I love coloring the black one to get color combos to fit my card

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2006, 07:34 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
WOW-Great ideas. I had no idea about the chalk.
I wonder if it would work with Pearl Ex as well to make sparkly ribbon (I would think you *would* have to seal it)

On the SU grosgran ribbon I have also just used the brush tip of a marker to color it. I love coloring the black one to get color combos to fit my card
Okay, this may be a "duh" question, but how do you color on a black ribbon?? :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2006, 07:38 AM   #26  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I meant black gingham ribbon (black/white checked)

I guess that changes the whole meaning, hih? LOL:mrgreen:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2006, 07:40 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
I meant black gingham ribbon (black/white checked)

I guess that changes the whole meaning, hih? LOL:mrgreen:
Okay, now that makes much more sense!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes