Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-04-2005, 03:10 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you buy your colored cardstock?

I got the asst packs of each color family when I was a member of my demos marker club (feb was the last month, now i have all colors of markers!) and i bought an asst pack of each as well, so I had 2 packs of each color family.
Well, now I'm out of burgundy and night of navy but I dont know if I want to buy a WHOLE pack of each of them as I dont know how much I will use them, then again, i dont know if I want to get an asst pack again because I'm not sure I will use all the colors...
In a perfect world, i would love to have a pack of each color, but do to $$, I cant =( what do you guys do??

Anna
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 03:16 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Not sure if I'm much help.....but I like to buy packs of my favorite colors. Hate running out when I'm working on a project.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 03:37 PM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default buying CS

I agree with Nancy...I buy the colors I use a lot. For me it's gable green, mellow moss, old olive, bliss blue and pretty in pink.
For colors that I use fairly often but not enough to justify a whole package, I take a scrap of it with me to a stamp/scrapbook store and buy several sheets of a cs that matches it. The reason I buy SU colors listed above is that I have never been able to find an acceptable match for these colors. To me, it's worth having the supply on hand of a select few colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 03:39 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I buy the single packs -- over & over & over again LOL

Really, if you have it you'll use it. You don't have to buy it all at once -- just get the ones you seem to use a lot. Maybe 2 or 3 packs at a time. Nothings more frustrating than running out of a color you NEED!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 03:44 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I buy it by the pack. I made the plunge and got a pack of all of the colors a long time ago, and I find that there are certain ones that I have to keep re-buying. Even though I don't use some of the colors much. I know that they are there. It would be nice if they would sell the paper in smaller packs....like 12 sheets for $2.25. That would definately make having them all much more affordable.

I would do a swap with you for certain colors, but it is so expensive to ship cardstock that it wouldn't end up being a benefit.

Are there others you know that stamp with SU? If so, maybe you could split paper packs two or three ways.

I hope you can find a solution.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 03:50 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

When I first "found" Stampin UP, I fell in love with all the colors. It was really overwhelming to think of buying all of them, so everytime I placed an order, I ordered 2 or 3 full packs of cardstock. Now I have a full file of each color, and I just love it! It really didn't take me as long as I thought it would, and now I just fill in when I need to. I did the same thing with the ribbon.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Stampin UP cardstock!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 03:51 PM   #7  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Do you have anyone that you could split up packs of paper with? Before I became a demo me and my girlfriend use to order packs of paper then split them. Then we had some of them all eventually.
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 04:07 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I started with an assorted pack of each family and as I run out I buy a pack of that individual color. It has worked well for me so far.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 04:10 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

I bought one asst pack of each color family and after a while I was able to see which ones I tended to run out of. I always seem to need mroe White/Black/Vanilla of course, and then it seems my old olive, Mellow Moss, Real Red, and a few others would dwindle down faster than others. Of course, my christmas cards always require a pack of at least one certain color - I figure it out after I do a few prototypes. The same for swaps. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 04:13 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I also buy the assorted color packs, I wish they did have smaller size packs so that it would make it easier to buy because there are some I run out of and others I dont use much.
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 04:20 PM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I buy the assorted packs and I buy packs of single color based on what projects I intend to offer in the coming months. I just stocked up on paper for the year during SAB last month (the obvious best time to buy) so I should be set for awhile.
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 04:20 PM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have been reluctant to invest in alot of paper because I needed so many other things but now I am a demo and am slowly building up my paper supply. I did as many others have said, I bought the assorted packs and then buy colors as they run low. I looked high and low for cheaper paper before becoming a demo. I will do anything to save some money. What I found was the stuff they sell at Joannes and Michaels was crap for stamping on not to mention it didn't match my inks. A problem for a type A like myself :lol: There are a couple of stamping stores in my area and they wanted .30 a sheet for their cardstock and didn't even offer packs of paper. So my conclusion is you can't beat SU's quality and color options and their price per page is actually really reasonable. I also like what someone said about splitting packs with a friend. Maybe now that your marker club is done you can do a paper club.

Join us in Buffalo on 4/28/12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 04:24 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default cardstock

A few of us get together and discuss what colors we want to purchase and then we trade sheets so we have a nice variety and an ample amount! We only use Stampin Up cardstock, except for the white. We buy that at Wal-Mart, white is white anywhere you buy it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 05:44 PM   #14  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

white is white anywhere you buy it!
oh nooooooooooo I think SU has the best white cardstock out there!! I have bought other white cardstock but NOTHING compares to the SU stuff!!
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 05:55 PM   #15  
Quacker Stamper

Received 1,101 Likes on 876 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kar
Quote:

oh nooooooooooo I think SU has the best white cardstock out there!! I have bought other white cardstock but NOTHING compares to the SU stuff!!
You're right about that! I bought some white cs somewhere - I think Michael's and it was so porous and thin. If you stamped anything dark on it, the color showed through the cs. I just buy SU and I've been trying to buy 1 or 2 packs of a color each month at group and also trying to get all the neutral colors. I think the SU cs is the greatest!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 05:58 PM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kar
Quote:

I, too bought Wal Mart white thinking it would be fine, but I WAS WRONG! There is a big difference. The images just do not stamp as crisp and clear as the SU! US White. It does have a purpose, though. Many cards I make just need the white base and then the layers on top. As long as the white won't need to be stamped, I use it to conserve my SU! white. It still works as the card base.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 06:56 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default cardstock

Ok, you're right about the white is white part. I have tried the Michaels white cardstock, it was very thin and my inks did bleed using that. But the white from Wal-Mart is 110 pound and is of excellent quality. I will buy no other white than theirs. Well, unless they quit selling it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 03:29 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I buy by the color - the assorted packs frustrate me, LOL -- I started out buying them but then would get all excited about a color and then run out, so I really like having a lot of one color -- just buy the colors you use a lot/like a lot -- for me I have to have Real Red "in stock" and I have a lot of the colors now, I use that as well as Night of Navy, Old Olive, Perfect Plum, Ballet Blue, Rose red and romance --

If I was limited on $ I would sit down and plan out what I was going to do -- i.e. since spring is coming up, if I was planning on doing Easter cards and then Mother's day and then some spring time wedding and/or baby stuff, I would prep myself for those events and buy the colors needed for those projects. You might only need 2 or 3 colors to cover the whole spring depending on what you pick!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 03:39 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

If it is a favorite color--go ahead and buy the pack, you'll use it.

My sister and I split packs and that is great. Like others have said, if you have a stamping buddy it is a great way to go because you get more colors for your money!

I also know a demo who will sell out of her supply by the sheet. I think they figured it out that it was twenty-five cents per sheet so if I'm low but don't want a whole pack I can buy individual sheets from her. Maybe you could ask your demo if she would consder that.

the su cardstock is the best stuff in the world and it is totally worth the investment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 04:55 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

well.. if you used 6 sheets of those two colors.. obviously you like them.. so i would buy the pack. they will eventually get used.

but as for the walmart white..
i use it too.... but generally for the base of cards cause the other day i was stamping butterflies to cut out and mount with a dimensional.. and i had grabbed scraps of both.. from my US white bag and walmart white bag.. and i was using positively pink. on the US white.. it was the true color..and on the walmart white.. it was runny..and a completely muted different shade.. i was shocked i hadnt noticed it before.
i had just bought a whole thing of the walmart white.. and was bummed!

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 05:11 AM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kar
Quote:

I am with you on this one. I used to use Walmart white cs and now I only use SU white for stamping. I got some in my starter kit and realized there really is a difference. It just stamps cleaner on SU white.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 05:28 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

So you've bought the assortment packs. I'd pick a few of the colors you really use and buy them. Splitting packs with your upline or another person is a great idea too. I just did the math with a calculator and it is a hair (and I mean a hair) cheaper to purchase a pack of one color instead of an assortment pack. I have just over half the colors and usually buy according to the seasons -brights in the spring, earth tones in the fall, etc. It may take awhile to build up your cardstock collection but it doesn't go bad and won't be retired.

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 05:41 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I figure if you ran out of a color completely then you should just buy that color individually. That's what I did today. I have 2 packs of each colors and I finally ran out of bliss blue out of the 2 packs I had since I have made so many boy and baby cards. So I figure I might as well get a pack of it instead of having to buy another assorted pack just for that color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 05:49 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

MY 2 CENTS!

I thought the same as some others that cardstock was cardstock until i stamped on them and my colors showed thru to the other side. very unprofessional looking. i too love a bargain but really price per sheet you cant beat su.

i am buy the assorted backs now so i can
1. memorize colors of cs on site ( bad memory )
2. find my niche in colors .
3. not get in a rut and use same colors all the time
4. show my customers that su has something for all color tastes
5. decide which colors i use the most and THEN buy the packs

hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 06:04 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

I LOVE LOVE LOVE SU cardstock. When I first started stamping, I bought the multi packs for each color group. There were certain colors I fell in love with and so friends and I bought whole packs and split them up. That was a great for me to do it in the beginning. Now I think nothing of buying a whole pack of a color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 10:24 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilymomto3boys
I started with an assorted pack of each family and as I run out I buy a pack of that individual color. It has worked well for me so far.
This is how I am doing it. For my cards that I just make for friends I use the cardstock that I have bought at Michael's but for swaps I have to use SU so I am buying it little by little.
SCS #11408
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 10:57 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

SU! colored cardstock comes in packs of 24 sheets. If you don't need a whole pack of a single color, find somebody to split packs with. You can do half-, third-, or quarter-packs easily. If you're buying at workshops, see if any of the other guests wants to share--you can each buy a full pack of a different color, then split it up when it arrives. If you just call your demo with orders, she may be able to split packs with you. She may not, especially if she's just starting out, but she may be able to put you in touch with another customer who'd be interested.

When I was a new demo, I bought everything one color at a time--pad, cs, marker, reinker. That way I could use everything I had while I built up my supplies.

I think most of us start out stamping with cheap cs, but once we use SU! cs, it's impossible to go back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 11:12 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

i do the same thing as barbstamps... i originally bought assorted packs so i would have variety. then every time i bought a new ink color, i would automatically buy the paper, pen and reinker at the same time. i like having all the supplies in each color. it took me a while to build up, but now i have it all, and just replace colors as needed. my sister and i sometimes split a pack as well...
Marni - SCS #14788 and SU Demo
My advice to you is not to inquire why or whither, but just enjoy your ice cream while it's on your plate. Thornton Wilder
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 11:25 AM   #29  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a note on non-SU paper.
SU paper is designed for stamping-that is why images look so crisp and stamp well on it. Most paper in Mike's/Wal-Mart is "craft" paper. While you CAN stamp on it-there IS a difference b/c it is not designed specifically with stamping in mind like SU's.

I used to be a cheapola, and then I earned some paper packs as a hostess, and was sold. There is nothing like having a finished project that all matches.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 11:37 AM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

This is pretty much what I've done too.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 11:41 AM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have been buying the assorted packs and then buy the colors that I use a lot. I seem to be using a lot of pretty in pink, close to cocoa and bliss blue lately so I just purchased full packs of each of those colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 11:44 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimberly47
Quote:

This is pretty much what I've done too.

Kimberly
Me, too. Although I do keep full assorted packs of each family colour on hand. You never know when you'll need a certain colour.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 11:44 AM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

I buy several packs of the assortment then I buy whole packs of my favorite colors and the colors that I use the most. I'm a paper fanatic so I order paper usually everytime I place an order. Which these days are about two times a month.

marlo
Reply With Quote Likes