Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-02-2011, 02:36 PM   #81  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember to give everyone a different list. I forgot the first year and my boys all got me the same things. Try explaining to a store that it just happened that your three boys all bought the same thing and you'd like to exchange the items for something else. LOL.
Last year my oldest just got me a ton of photo paper for the printer, he said there was no way someone else would get the same thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #82  
Kookie Creator

Haha oh yea! I'm glad you mentioned that! Lol it's funny how they all got you the same things!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tspoland407View Post
Just remember to give everyone a different list. I forgot the first year and my boys all got me the same things. Try explaining to a store that it just happened that your three boys all bought the same thing and you'd like to exchange the items for something else. LOL.
Last year my oldest just got me a ton of photo paper for the printer, he said there was no way someone else would get the same thing!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #83  
Hardware Hotshot

I have not tried the scor-pal. I know there are stampers here that have two or three score boards and could tell you the difference. My me, I like the price I got Martha's score board for and if I can get a decent quality item for a great price it works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #84  
Kookie Creator

Yea that is true! If I get a 40% off coupon, I'll got and get the MS score board. I just never got one because I'm doing ok with scoring on my paper trimmer, but I think it's about time that I got a score board.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I have not tried the scor-pal. I know there are stampers here that have two or three score boards and could tell you the difference. My me, I like the price I got Martha's score board for and if I can get a decent quality item for a great price it works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #85  
Kookie Creator

Do I have to ask a consultant for paper catalogs? If so would have to pay for them- I'm sure I would have to pay for the postage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #86  
Glitter Queen

I got into papercrafting last November and I didn't actually set out to make cards, I thought I was going to be a scrapbooker. Not so!

Before I bought any paper, any adhesive, any stamps, ink, etc. I bought a Cricut Expression. If I had to do this over again, I would not have waited. And the reason being is that I got into a trap of buying cartridges. Long story short, don't put all of your eggs in one basket. Plus, I'm not thrilled with Provo Craft as a company right now.

I do have the Cuttlebug. It's a perfectly good machine, but I would really recommend that you buy the Big Shot instead. Look on ebay for a deal. Or, I think it sells for 79 dollars on amazon.

Biggest regret: Buying cheap paper. I bought packs of the cheap Paper Company cardstock from Jo-Ann and honestly, it's horrible. For some uses, it's okay, but for the most part, I don't like it. The range of colors that you can get from Stampin' Up and Papertrey Ink are better. My favorite card base is Kraft. No matter where it comes from, I like it. I think it is the perfect neutral. I'm a matchy boy (yup a guy) which I figured out very fast.

Quality stamps over craft store stamps. This the area that I'm working on. I don't have what I would consider quality stamps.

Good ink. I recently got a Chestnut Roan Colorbox Fluid Chalk pad. In love with it. It's a great ink for cheaper clear stamps that don't stamp crisp in other inks. I tend to stamp a lot of my sentiments in a brown as opposed to black. My favorite is Early Espresso from SU. It was the first pad I ordered from them. For black, I have Memento Tuxedo Black.

Other tools:
I recently (as in last Friday) purchased a We R Memory Keepers Corner Chomper. I used a coupon it.

A scalloped edge punch. I have the Fiskars one.

Scissors for paper and scissors for fabric.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #87  
Embossing Fanatic

Somebody else on youtube that is amazing is enastasia http://www.youtube.com/user/Enastasia....what great talent this lady has! Also Gina K StampTV's Channel - YouTube does great stamping tutorials!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #88  
Kookie Creator

@Trell- why do you recommend the Big Shot? I thought that I'd made my mind up but I keep getting people telling me to wait and get the Big Shot lol. Now that I know how cheap it is (well the price for the Cuttlebug and the Big Shot aren't that far off) on Amazon, I'm wondering if I should get it.

@scrapaway1- Thanks for the youtube suggestion! I've been on youtube watching videos every day for the past few days! I have discovered Gina K though, and I've watched almost all of her videos lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #89  
Kookie Creator

I thought I'd list this here for any other newbies who doesn't know of all the stamp companies or stamp websites.

Post your favorite OnLine stamp stores - Websites A-Z by meluvstampin at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #91  
Rubber Obsessor

Start small. Use what you have before you buy something new. For example, when you get a new set, use it a time or two before investing in another. I have so many sets I thought I had to have because I saw what someone else did with it. No ink has ever touched I bet over 50% of my sets. I have my favorites. So my advise is to really choose wisely. I think for me sometimes the thrill is in the shopping. Then I need to slow down and use it and get that thrill before I even think about shopping again. Right now I have a room full, hundreds of stamp sets, feet of paper, and it can be overwhelming. Wonderful hobby. Enjoy it, but don't get carried away. Sorry, I think I was rambling a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #92  
Kookie Creator

lol you're fine! I always wonder do people really use all of the stuff that they have. I try to use my paper up as much as possible, so I'll write letters to my pen pals on a random sheet of scrap so that it doesn't sit around in my room forever. I want more stamps because I some times feel restricted in the things that I can make. I am starting small though- I have yet to buy a complete stamp set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdscrapperView Post
Start small. Use what you have before you buy something new. For example, when you get a new set, use it a time or two before investing in another. I have so many sets I thought I had to have because I saw what someone else did with it. No ink has ever touched I bet over 50% of my sets. I have my favorites. So my advise is to really choose wisely. I think for me sometimes the thrill is in the shopping. Then I need to slow down and use it and get that thrill before I even think about shopping again. Right now I have a room full, hundreds of stamp sets, feet of paper, and it can be overwhelming. Wonderful hobby. Enjoy it, but don't get carried away. Sorry, I think I was rambling a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #93  
Stazon Splitcoast

FYI there was Wassau 110 weight white cardstock 40% off at my "local" Michaels today regularly $15ish. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #94  
Stazon Splitcoast

I started out with sentiment sets, those are a must to use for any occasion and little by little added different sets for bday's, weddings, etc. Now I have so much I dont even know what i have hahaha
trying out different coloring mediums to see what you prefer more, to either color with markers or pencils. I really dont do a lot of coloring but if I do usually use markers cause its faster to color ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #95  
Rubber Obsessor

Hey Tee,
Stampin' Up has added new items to their clearance rack. Here is Kim's addy to the rack. Stampin' Up! Online Ordering
She's a really nice person and is here on the SCS site. You can order directly from her web site and UPS will deliver it in about a week. Most of the items go fast so watch out.

Yeah, Joann's was not impressed with my boys. They actually made me feel like I had stolen the items and was returning them to get free merchandise. I told the boys to stay away from the one here in town. That's when I wised up to given them seperate lists. LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #96  
Mad Swapper

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I started stamping with a group of SU only gals so that set my tone. I think you have to live and learn about what not to buy and I do a few of those. Even stamp sets that I have never used, never cut out (old SU). Just have fun and get what you can when you can. The most important thing I have learned is that NOTHING is better than a good cutter, I would recomend a table top or gillatine type cutter, get the best you can afford.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #97  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by liptonteeView Post
@Trell- why do you recommend the Big Shot? I thought that I'd made my mind up but I keep getting people telling me to wait and get the Big Shot lol. Now that I know how cheap it is (well the price for the Cuttlebug and the Big Shot aren't that far off) on Amazon, I'm wondering if I should get it.

@scrapaway1- Thanks for the youtube suggestion! I've been on youtube watching videos every day for the past few days! I have discovered Gina K though, and I've watched almost all of her videos lol
I think the Big Shot is sturdier. And, I personally don't feel that my Cuttlebug embosses as well as the Big Shot. If you find yourself getting into dies, which is where I'm headed, the Big Shot is the better machine. Or a Vagabond, but that's neither here nor there. Gotta walk before we run right?!

Oh, and I saw a Big Shot on overstock.com as well. I think it was around $65. Good deal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #98  
Kookie Creator

@RiverIsis - Thanks for letting me know, I'll have to go check it out!

@creatingifun- I don't know why I thought I could do cardmaking without a sentiment set lol I guess it never really crossed my mind. I do eventually want to venture out into coloring stamps - I think I might buy a few markers and a few color pencils and see how I love them.

@tspoland407- Thanks for letting me know about the SU clearance rack. Haha, I can't believe they tried to make it seem like you stole them. I'm trying to figure out what to ask for and how to split up the lists.

@itsme- OMG I am terrified of Guillotine style cutters lol. I'm so afraid I'll cut one of my fingers off lol. The cutter that I have now is pretty good (but I'm basing that off of the fact that I don't have anything else to compare it to lol)

@Trell- Thanks for the info on the Overstock price - gosh now I really don't know which one I should get lol. I guess what I should do is look at what dies the Big Shot can take that the Cuttlebug can't and figure out if I really want them or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #99  
Stazon Splitcoast

TBH I think the Cuttlebug is a great starter tool. I got mine four years ago. I like the way it folds up and I can store it. At one point I only had a small corner of the room and crafted on my bedside table... I will probably replace it with something bigger when it dies but so far I have gotten a lot of use out of it so can't fault it for the cost and compact size.

BTW I have the same guillotine fear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #100  
Kookie Creator

The fact that the Cuttlebug is easy to store is honestly the only reason why I like it over the Big Shot. At first it was the price but now that I know I can get the Big Shot for a cheaper price then the price is not an issue. I do have a huge problem with space though considering I'm in student apartments. My desk is too small to do any work on so I normally do my crafting on my bed.

Haha! The guillotine fear is so terrifying - I used to hate when my art teacher used it in Elementary school. She never cut herself the sound and the way it chopped - scared me for life lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
TBH I think the Cuttlebug is a great starter tool. I got mine four years ago. I like the way it folds up and I can store it. At one point I only had a small corner of the room and crafted on my bedside table... I will probably replace it with something bigger when it dies but so far I have gotten a lot of use out of it so can't fault it for the cost and compact size.

BTW I have the same guillotine fear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2011, 03:57 AM   #101  
Hardware Hotshot

Hobby Lobby has the cutest Vagabond (big shot) in the jewelry section. Another thread discussed it in the tools forum. It has the coolest colors. It is a big shot renamed for jewelry makers. I've been told you can use their 40% off coupon on it and it's around $60.00.
I have a cuttlebug and I love it but if it breaks I'll get the vagabond. The big shop takes the biggest dies and it is more of a heavy duty machine. Big Shots can break too but it does seem to be studier. My cuttlebug may last forever though! They are still a good machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2011, 04:47 AM   #102  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

The fact that the Cuttlebug is easy to store is honestly the only reason why I like it over the Big Shot. At first it was the price but now that I know I can get the Big Shot for a cheaper price then the price is not an issue. I do have a huge problem with space though considering I'm in student apartments. My desk is too small to do any work on so I normally do my crafting on my bed.

Haha! The guillotine fear is so terrifying - I used to hate when my art teacher used it in Elementary school. She never cut herself the sound and the way it chopped - scared me for life lol
I said earlier the CB would be great for you since you are a college student. I am going to take that back since you craft on your bed. You want the Big Shot. The CB needs to be suctioned down on a flat surface. If it's not the machine rocks and pinches. CB has now been ruled out for you.

I am scared of guillotine cutters too. So, your not alone. I hated them in school. I have three cats so I have this horrible nightmare of tails, paws and necks getting caught in the cutter. My "little angels" have to be involved in everything.

Side note- Trell, I am happy to see you posting over here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #103  
Kookie Creator

@Allistamps123- Does the 40% coupon only apply in stores? I don't have a Hobby Lobby near me - I used to but then I changed schools.

@lylacfey- I'm so gad you told me this. I also have cleared off some shelves today so now I have more room for storage. I guess I will be getting the Big Shot then, because there is no space on my desk - and I also don't use it because there is no lighting and no room to put any lighting.

I would be so worried about a guillotine around the cats (or any pet). The guillotine is just a bit too much for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #104  
Kookie Creator

What are must have punches? Have you noticed some alternatives to certain punches? I see a lot of people using the 1/2" punches and 1" punches - are they necessary?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #105  
dfc
Embossing Fanatic

Liptontee: as an international I had to order my big shot from the US and the shipping was more than the machine! I ended up paying almost $150 for it but you know what? I love it! And though it may sound silly (considering it only really costs abt 60!) it's worth every penny. Its the only machine I have and as long as it works I won't get another. :-) As for punches I find some ppl prefer them but some ppl prefer buying dies. I only ever use my 1 inch circle punch and for everything else I use dies. Its much more money and space saving to use dies but it's quicker sometimes to pick up a punch and just punch out a shape as opposed to running then through in your sandwich.

Lilacfey: Omg, I must be the odd one, I Love those guillotine cutters but can never find any small enough here for my cramped craft room. I love the chomping. gosh...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #106  
Matboard Maniac

When I was building up my stash, I bought(and still do) alot of stamps from the buy/sell thread here. I got most sets for $5-$8. I alove those Michael's coupon to get the other stuff. I also buy from stampin up during the time you get a free stamp set(I think it is Feb. & March). This is such a fun hobby. I love making cards! Good Luck building your supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #107  
Kookie Creator

@dfc- Thanks so much for the advice on the Big Shot. It seems most people think it's a very good and sturdy machine. I think I might invest in a few punches because I've seen them used in very nice ways.

@kymom- I do need to head over to the buy/sell thread there seems to be a lot of good deals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2011, 03:41 AM   #108  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

@Allistamps123- Does the 40% coupon only apply in stores? I don't have a Hobby Lobby near me - I used to but then I changed schools.

@lylacfey- I'm so gad you told me this. I also have cleared off some shelves today so now I have more room for storage. I guess I will be getting the Big Shot then, because there is no space on my desk - and I also don't use it because there is no lighting and no room to put any lighting.

I would be so worried about a guillotine around the cats (or any pet). The guillotine is just a bit too much for me.
I think the 40% is only good at the store. Does anyone know for sure?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2011, 03:45 AM   #109  
Hardware Hotshot

In regard to punches I use SU's scallop edge punch the most often. There other edge punches are also great. Second I seem to use the modern label punch and the decorative label punch all the time to punch out sentiments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2011, 04:45 AM   #110  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

TONS of great advice here! I'll be another to vote for the Big Shot. I use it on almost every card I make for either diecutting frames with my Nestabilities or for embossing with my embossing folders (which are so fun, and really not that expensive - and if you get them at 40% off, so much the better!). I happen to LOVE my Tonic guillotine cutter because I always get nice straight cuts and can trim off the teeniest slivers if I need to. One thing I haven't seen mentioned...until you can collect some nice sentiments, especially for the inside of your cards, is to print them on your computer printer. I do it often. Print out on a piece of regular copy paper and trim it slightly smaller than your card and then run a line of adhesive (I have an ATG - another LOVE!). It's not as quick as having a stamp to just pull out and be done, but it works while you're still collecting - or don't want to buy a set of sentiments you won't use to get the ONE that you will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2011, 04:48 AM   #111  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

What are must have punches? Have you noticed some alternatives to certain punches? I see a lot of people using the 1/2" punches and 1" punches - are they necessary?
I am always making alternative to punches. I really don't want to store all those punches. Nestabilities are a good alternative for basic shapes. A circle cutter will do the majority of your circles. You can download templates and cut them by hand. The Slice Elite is a good alternative to punches. When I owned one I used to say it was a little electronic punch machine. A Slice Elite is getting a bit pricey but you can find cheap ones on Ebay. If that is an option you want do not get the original Slice. It had a lot of problems. Buy the Slice Elite or Slice Fabrique. You can stamp on the bed with a Slice Elite. I have done it. I have used my Cricut Create on the bed too. A Cricut is way over the top for a beginner stamper and expensive too. Black Friday sales you can snag one cheap. It does come with a Basic Shape cartridge.

My punch purchases are shapes that I want to center an image with. I have a few fun shape punches. That can be overkill for a stamper. I use them in mixed media. So, little mini seahorses make perfect sense for me but to a dedicated stamper it would probably be a waste. I have a few border punches but I am very picky about them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #112  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=liptontee;18788925
@itsme- OMG I am terrified of Guillotine style cutters lol. I'm so afraid I'll cut one of my fingers off lol. [/QUOTE]

That is a very real fear - take it from someone who almost cut off their finger - at work no less! Yup, cut right through the nail, nicked the nail bed, fortunately I was able to stop the blade before it cut right through (I was using one of those giant industrial sized paper cutters with the 24" blade). Had to go to the doctor's office her on campus, get it stitched up, wrapped and got a tetanus shot to boost - oh, and by the way I am TERRIFIED of needles, so having to get the tetanus shot just added insult to injury! I do have a guillotine style trimmer but it is small (only about 5 X 7 to cut photos) and has a finger protector. Otherwise, I am terrified of any of the larger ones and refuse to use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #113  
Kookie Creator

@Allistamps123- Thanks for letting me know. I've been trying to decide if I want to buy punches or not to punch out sentiments and stamped images

@minstrel- I never thought about printing off the sentiment! That's a really great idea. I'll do that until I have the money to get some actual stamps!

@lylacfey- I'm thinking about getting the Martha Stewart circle cutter when I go and get the Score board. Haha! I tried to steer clear of the Cricut - it seemed too complex and too expensive.

@Flash&Rusty- I've had too many accidents with office supplies. I've "sharpened" my finger nail in an electric pencil sharpener- and it ripped the nail off (granted that was my fault because I stuck my finger in there - but hey I was in like preschool and I thought it would make my fingernail longer lol). I've stapled my thumb and I've cut almost all of the skin off of my thumb with scissors - sharp objects are not my forte lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #114  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had the MS circle cutter. HATED it. Used the SU one... HATED it.

Decided that I would buy punches and nestabilities and skip the stupid circle cutters. They annoy me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #115  
Kookie Creator

Uh oh! Why did you hate the circle cutter?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChautonaView Post
I had the MS circle cutter. HATED it. Used the SU one... HATED it.

Decided that I would buy punches and nestabilities and skip the stupid circle cutters. They annoy me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #116  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was not impressed with the smoothness of the cuts-- mine or anyone else's that I saw. I did not like having to follow the lines and when I wanted to cut out a pre-stamped and colored image... we'll not talk about how that intricate coloring I did was tossed in the garbage.

I know it CAN happen with a punch or a nestability, but so far I haven't had the same problems. I much prefer the clean crisp lines of a punch/nestability and the ease in choosing just the right one.

I will hand cut a circle before I'll bother with a circle cutter again. I cannot tell you how relieved I was when several other circle cutter owners all said that they hadn't touched theirs in ages once they discovered nestabilities.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #117  
Kookie Creator

I'm glad you told me this. I was thinking about getting it on Friday and I was going to pay full price since its not apart of the Michael's 50% off ordeal. I think I might just go and get a few punches.

Quote:

I was not impressed with the smoothness of the cuts-- mine or anyone else's that I saw. I did not like having to follow the lines and when I wanted to cut out a pre-stamped and colored image... we'll not talk about how that intricate coloring I did was tossed in the garbage.

I know it CAN happen with a punch or a nestability, but so far I haven't had the same problems. I much prefer the clean crisp lines of a punch/nestability and the ease in choosing just the right one.

I will hand cut a circle before I'll bother with a circle cutter again. I cannot tell you how relieved I was when several other circle cutter owners all said that they hadn't touched theirs in ages once they discovered nestabilities.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #118  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would really recommend finding someone who has one (An SU Demo, a scrapbooking store, a friend... someone) and trying it before buying it.

On the thread of "regrets" for what people bought, it was one of the high things. I was sure they were all wrong. Yeah. Wish I had listened.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #119  
Kookie Creator

Haha! I'm actually reading the regrets thread! I've been seeing the circle cutter a lot!

Quote:

I would really recommend finding someone who has one (An SU Demo, a scrapbooking store, a friend... someone) and trying it before buying it.

On the thread of "regrets" for what people bought, it was one of the high things. I was sure they were all wrong. Yeah. Wish I had listened.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #120  
Matboard Maniac

I found a great deal on rubber stamps at the local goodwill store. NOT an everyday find for sure, but I am always on the lookout for anything I can use in my crafting. I've posted pictures of my treasures on my blog!
My Paper Mountain
Good luck building your stamping library.

Last edited by TimeforT; 10-05-2011 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: added info.
Reply With Quote Likes