Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-27-2014, 05:34 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to apply those tiny pearls?

Hi! I am desperately trying to apply tiny pearls to a card.
One pearl per card. I have tried tweezers, needle nose pliers. I simply can't get them on there with any ease.
Since I have 100 to do, I could really use some tips on how to get them applied,
I am using a tiny drop of glue. Not glue dots.
But the tweezers get gooey, and I'm making a mess.
Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quickutz Quick Stick tool - or you could try some poster putty on a stick. I've tried all sort of homemade tools but finally broke down and got the Quick Stick tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2014, 06:48 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I have the quick stick but rarely use it. It does pick up the pearl but find if I'm using the end with putty that some of it sticks to the pearl. In watching many videos I saw where people were using their paper piercing tool or paper snips. I've tried both and usually use the tips of my paper snips. Just slightly open the paper snips so the tips of the blades are on either side of the pearl. Works for me the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2014, 06:57 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Eons ago at a stamping expo I bought a little container of beeswax "dots" that you were supposed to knead until they were soft, then stick them on the end of a toothpick and use it to pick up things like the pearls. If you have any dressmaker's beeswax or a beeswax candle, you could try a bit of that...

Another thought - you didn't say if you were putting the glue on the pearl or on the card. The tweezers wouldn't get as messy if you put a teensy drop of glue on the card and then dropped the pearl onto it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2014, 07:43 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Eons ago at a stamping expo I bought a little container of beeswax "dots" that you were supposed to knead until they were soft, then stick them on the end of a toothpick and use it to pick up things like the pearls. If you have any dressmaker's beeswax or a beeswax candle, you could try a bit of that...

Another thought - you didn't say if you were putting the glue on the pearl or on the card. The tweezers wouldn't get as messy if you put a teensy drop of glue on the card and then dropped the pearl onto it.
I finally figured this out myself, Sue, to put the glue on the card after lots of sticky messes. Works so much easier that way. Also, I think I can tell better where I want it with the dot of glue on the card, too.

For tiny things like small jewels or pearls, I like to use the Zig Two Way Glue Pen to make the dot.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 03:43 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I use a white or clear (the kind you get in Easter egg decorating kits) crayon to pick up and place the pearls. It has just enough "stick" and doesn't leave any marks on the pearls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 04:16 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for the tips. I am putting the glue on the card.
The tweezers get messy because when I attempt to place the pearl, it gets on the tweezers.
I'm going to head to Michaels and see about that tool you spoke of.
As for my paper snips, I will have to look and see what they are.
I only have regular scissors. I remember now about the bees wax. I had tried that a gazillion years ago at a crop I was at. I remember looking for it when I came home and never found it.
Thanks you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 05:16 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Quick fix around the home for this- q-tips! Just slightly dampen the end, touch the pearl, and it will stick to it. Place on top of glue blob on card, and it stays there. My go to method, I'm not paying out cash for a tool. Also, I've read about moistening the end of a piece of dried spaghetti does exactly the same thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 06:13 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I'm just imagining the impact of a single tiny pearl - how sweet!

I'm wishing you had pearls with adhesive backing... I get mine from Diamante Crafts and they come in all different sizes and colors. I just pick them up from the plastic with the tip of my craft knife, place, press down with my finger and pull the blade away.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paula AnneView Post
One pearl per card. I have tried tweezers, needle nose pliers. I simply can't get them on there with any ease.
Since I have 100 to do, I could really use some tips on how to get them applied,
Thanks!
Since you have 100 to do, it might be worth it to make a trip to Michaels or Hobby Lobby and pick up some tiny pearls that are self-adhesive. I know Hobby Lobby has their house brand of embellishments that are pretty inexpensive, and you can probably find a coupon on their website.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the kind with the adhesive, but they are not holding to the paper. So, I'm equally frustrated trying to remove them from the sticky strip and then attempting to put them on the card. GRRRRR!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

I have a little tool called the Marvey Jewel Picker (look for it in the beading dept.) Works great for the pick-up part. If stops being sticky, there are instructions on the card it comes on. Thin tool, like a stick, ball point pen. Comes with a protective cap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I have the kind with the adhesive, but they are not holding to the paper. So, I'm equally frustrated trying to remove them from the sticky strip and then attempting to put them on the card. GRRRRR!
I tend to take mine off the adhesive too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

My best advice is to get a good tweezer, like the ones made by Mrs. Grossman (of sticker fame), although they are no longer manufactured. But I found some online, almost identical, and I am THRILLED! These tweezers get used on EVERY card I make, not only for placing tiny embellishments, but for everything I place on my card. Using the tweezer allows me to get my hand out of the way so I can see what I'm doing; and the slanted, pointed ends allow me to place everything with pin-point precision.

It has been asked on here before: What crafting tool could you not do without, and these tweezers are my answer. STICKER TWEEZERS : Creations by Dedra, Iris Folding, Folding Supplies, Exclusive Cutout Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #15  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

This is my preferred tool:
The Rubber Cafe | Stick "Em" Up from The Rubber Cafe <---This page has a link to a video showing how this tool works.

Will last a very long time (my whole lifetime probably). Works like the beeswax.

I've had the quik stick for years and could never get it to work properly - all the green stuff oozing out - may be 'user error' but it translates to me not being able to use it.

I'd put a really small dot of mono multi adhesive (or scrap happy glue - any very sticky white glue will work) onto my paper where I want the pearl and then I'd pick up the pearl with my stick em up tool and place it on top of the tiny dot of strong glue - voila.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Some brands that are self-adhesive are stuck to the carrier sheet with a continuous strip of the adhesive, rather than an individual "dot" for each one. You have to cut between the pearls to separate them from each other. Kind of a nuisance, but maybe less so than the glue situation...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

I use one of those rhinestone picker pencils that manicurists use to pick up the tiny gems and other nail art pieces. They a kind of like a spongy hard wax. You can usually get one on Amazon or e-Bay for less than a dollar. Here is a page of images of what I mean:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Rhin...w=1366&bih=657
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
My best advice is to get a good tweezer, like the ones made by Mrs. Grossman (of sticker fame), although they are no longer manufactured. But I found some online, almost identical, and I am THRILLED! These tweezers get used on EVERY card I make, not only for placing tiny embellishments, but for everything I place on my card. Using the tweezer allows me to get my hand out of the way so I can see what I'm doing; and the slanted, pointed ends allow me to place everything with pin-point precision.

It has been asked on here before: What crafting tool could you not do without, and these tweezers are my answer. STICKER TWEEZERS : Creations by Dedra, Iris Folding, Folding Supplies, Exclusive Cutout Designs
Oh my gosh! These are my most favorite tweezers EVER! First saw them used by Julie Ebersole and bought them through Ellen Hutson. The brand name on those was Eliza...something. They were $7 plus postage - and worth every penny! I see these are $3!!!! Yikes, that is an awesome price for these. Any card maker who doesn't have these, needs them - they are that awesome! I think I will order a couple for gifts and maybe an extra for me when I have senior moment and can't remember where I put them. :shock:

Thanks for the link. I'm putting it in my file for later use! :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
Oh my gosh! These are my most favorite tweezers EVER! First saw them used by Julie Ebersole and bought them through Ellen Hutson. The brand name on those was Eliza...something. They were $7 plus postage - and worth every penny! I see these are $3!!!! Yikes, that is an awesome price for these. Any card maker who doesn't have these, needs them - they are that awesome! I think I will order a couple for gifts and maybe an extra for me when I have senior moment and can't remember where I put them. :shock:

Those are the absolute BEST tweezers ever! My friend gave me a pair ( Mrs. Grossmans) YEARS ago and just love em' !!! They will work good for what you need them for. I use them a lot for the tiny pearls, rhinestones, etc. Think I will order an extra pair just to have on hand!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2014, 01:58 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I placed some mono multi glue on the eraser end of a pencil. Once the glue dries, it has been wonderful for picking up small items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2014, 08:15 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Thanks!
I haven't the time to read all the replies, but maybe putting the glue on the card and not the pearl would help (?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using the beez wax method that gregzgurl mentioned for years and it works well. I bought mine at a card show and the info on the container is Outlines Rubber Stamp Company Picksey Pick-Ups outlinesrubberstamp.com The cost was $2.50 and there were at least 100 dots of beez wax in it. wonderful to adhere rhinestones also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2014, 09:48 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

i use tweezers and/or my Quickutz Quick Stick tool but i find that i need to use a toothpick to hold down the pearl when trying to release the tweezers/quick stick. so i do a toothpick in one hand to help place and release and the tweezers/tool in the other hand. I always use the pearls/gems that come with the sticky back on the sheet, but always add my own dab of glue as the gems often pop off the sticker dot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2014, 10:21 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post

Are these tweezers any different than the Cutter Bee Tweezers? I know the Cutter Bees have the reverse open feature (you squeeze to open them rather than squeezing to close them), but are there other differences? TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a product that will remove your problems of gluing the pearls.
There is a product called Liquid Pearls. Not expensive and all you do is squirt a small dot where you want the pearl. It will have a tiny tip on it but once dry the tip disappears and you have a perfect pearl. The size of the pearl depends on the size you squirt on your paper. One hundred pearls would go very fast compared to gluing.
Other than that I vote for the flat pearls with glue on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

While looking at the nail art sticky tools I came across a site that had small suction tools. I thought we might be able to brainstorm some ideas along that line (i.e.: using suction). I couldn't actually create a link but copy/paste these addresses into google search to get to TVC-mall to view the vacuum tools they sell.
http://img.tvc-mall.com/uploads/details/TOOL-268-1.jpg
http://img.tvc-mall.com/uploads/details/TOOL-343-1.jpg

O.K. you can all laugh at me, I just tried my ear Wax Vac (which is crappy for ear cleaning) and it worked on both rhinestones and pearls (not the tiniest or the really big ones though). If you were doing lots you might consider rechargeable batteries, I don't know how long the regular would last running it for long periods of time. Pick the pearl up with it on suction then place pearl on the glue and it will either come away then or turn the power off to stop the suction to drop it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2014, 05:42 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cre8ive MindView Post
O.K. you can all laugh at me, I just tried my ear Wax Vac (which is crappy for ear cleaning) and it worked on both rhinestones and pearls (not the tiniest or the really big ones though). If you were doing lots you might consider rechargeable batteries, I don't know how long the regular would last running it for long periods of time. Pick the pearl up with it on suction then place pearl on the glue and it will either come away then or turn the power off to stop the suction to drop it.
Awesome creative thinking! If it won't work for it's intended purpose then there's nothing to lose trying it out for something else!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2014, 05:50 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I love how we think outside the box and repurpose stuff that doesn't work as well for its original intention. I have a battery operated nail care/mani/pedi kit, which really is more trouble than its worth- useless at hard skin removal etc. BUT, its a great Distressing tool for card and paper, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2014, 08:56 AM   #29  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by papernut123View Post
I know a product that will remove your problems of gluing the pearls.
There is a product called Liquid Pearls. Not expensive and all you do is squirt a small dot where you want the pearl. It will have a tiny tip on it but once dry the tip disappears and you have a perfect pearl. The size of the pearl depends on the size you squirt on your paper. One hundred pearls would go very fast compared to gluing.
Other than that I vote for the flat pearls with glue on them.
I love liquid pearls, but one caveat with the liquid pearls - they do not dry hard so they can get 'dinged' or dented, or whatever you would call it unlike hard pearls which are more durable.

This is important ONLY if durability is needed on your project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I love how we think outside the box and repurpose stuff that doesn't work as well for its original intention. I have a battery operated nail care/mani/pedi kit, which really is more trouble than its worth- useless at hard skin removal etc. BUT, its a great Distressing tool for card and paper, lol.
Thanks, I'm glad you mentioned the manicure tool. I just recently bought one at the dollar store for $3 after seeing something at Michael's for distressing paper that looked similar for a lot more $$$. Hadn't tried it yet but wondered if it would work. Must give it a go for sure now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2014, 04:05 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mshatzmaView Post
i use tweezers and/or my Quickutz Quick Stick tool but i find that i need to use a toothpick to hold down the pearl when trying to release the tweezers/quick stick. so i do a toothpick in one hand to help place and release and the tweezers/tool in the other hand. I always use the pearls/gems that come with the sticky back on the sheet, but always add my own dab of glue as the gems often pop off the sticker dot.
Do you not pull out the pointy/chisel end of the tool?

I'm a big toothpick user too though! When all else fails use a toothpick!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2014, 04:21 AM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

This may have already been suggested ...

I put tiny dots of tombow mono glue on the project and I use my craft knife to slide the pearl off sheet and onto the project. Anytime I try to use tweezers the pearl will snap out and go flying around the room. I've found those babies in the strangest places. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2014, 11:50 PM   #33  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cre8ive MindView Post
Thanks, I'm glad you mentioned the manicure tool. I just recently bought one at the dollar store for $3 after seeing something at Michael's for distressing paper that looked similar for a lot more $$$. Hadn't tried it yet but wondered if it would work. Must give it a go for sure now.

$3 dollars in the dollar store? Sounds a little weird. In the UK everything in the pound shop is a pound.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Hey y'all don't laugh but as I learned from The Frugal Crafter (smart, smart lady), a golf makes a great crafting tool!!! I just dip the very tip of it in my Aleene's Tack-It Over & Over and let it dry...........if it is not tacky the next time I want to use, I just dip the very tip in my Aleen's again and walla, you have a great "stick-um tool"!!! I also own the QuickStic tool............but to be honest I really like my golf tee the best!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by BathBelleView Post
$3 dollars in the dollar store? Sounds a little weird. In the UK everything in the pound shop is a pound.
The store is called Dollarama and used to sell everything for $1 but with inflation they had to move $1 to $3 so they could offer a wider variety of product. Still good deals. We have Dollar Giant where everything is $1.25 (used to be $1 too).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #36  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by YorkieMomaView Post
Hey y'all don't laugh but as I learned from The Frugal Crafter (smart, smart lady), a golf makes a great crafting tool!!! I just dip the very tip of it in my Aleene's Tack-It Over & Over and let it dry...........if it is not tacky the next time I want to use, I just dip the very tip in my Aleen's again and walla, you have a great "stick-um tool"!!! I also own the QuickStic tool............but to be honest I really like my golf tee the best!!!

oops ladies......I meant "golf tee"!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2014, 02:01 AM   #37  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know if someone has suggested this but.. A very smart lady that does demos at
my stamp taught me to cut the adhesive between the pearls then just slide them on to your card. I use my Quick stick tool ( the Flat end) to guide the pearl.
Reply With Quote Likes