Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2006, 04:07 AM   #121  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I am just amazed people actually get angry about 'their ideas'. I thought it was the whole idea of posting a card, so other people could get inspired. Wow. Kind of catty to snark about it. I thought stamping was supposed to be fun.I case parts of things all the time. I guess that makes me an 'outlaw', which makes me feel kind of COOL. But the people who make the great cards are cooler.
Tia

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 05:05 AM   #122  
Die Cut Diva

As a fairly new poster and uploader, I have to say that reading this thread had me thinking "gee...did I case someone and not give them credit??" I have learned a lot from the gang on SCS and I know my demo gets ideas from here also to share with us a Stamp Club nights...so I guess I was under the understanding that if Poster X uploads a card and goes so far as to give us step by step instructions on how to make that card then Poster X wants us to reproduce that card. Having said that though I sometimes tend to go back to cards I might have enjoyed and reproduce them later. By that time I might have forgotten where the inspiratioon came from :( Does that mean I shouldnt upload my finished card then, because I cant give "proper" credit?

I have a tote, for example, in my gallery...I KNOW it came from someone here...the template and all, but do I remember who? nope.....but I do say that in my comments....did i upload the picture to show my fellow SCS's that I had this great "new" idea? hell no!! I uploaded it because I was so darn surprised at myself for actually making something that came even remotely close to looking like a tote..LOL
Some of you have great suggestions as to how to keep track of who is inspiring us so I will try, from here on in, to be more dilignet about this. But on the other hand, if I have inadvertantly "cased" someone's card, please realize that I have done it out of sheer awe and admiration....if I want to make one that looks like yours...I must have really liked yours!!

JMO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 05:28 AM   #123  
Stazon Splitcoast

Dang, Ya'll! As a demo, I highly encourage my newbie stampers to come to SCS, check out the gallery and CASE, CASE, CASE! I think it's a great way for them to learn more about this art we call stamping. For you to suggest that they not upload CASEd artwork would also suggest that they aren't good enough to have a gallery.

You all are making "CASE" an ugly word. I don't think it was ever meant to be. This attitude totally goes against SU's philosophy.

I do think people should give credit where credit is due, but come on! Suggesting that people not upload artwork is ludicrous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 05:31 AM   #124  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by deca1964
As a fairly new poster and uploader, I have to say that reading this thread had me thinking "gee...did I case someone and not give them credit??" I have learned a lot from the gang on SCS and I know my demo gets ideas from here also to share with us a Stamp Club nights...so I guess I was under the understanding that if Poster X uploads a card and goes so far as to give us step by step instructions on how to make that card then Poster X wants us to reproduce that card. Having said that though I sometimes tend to go back to cards I might have enjoyed and reproduce them later. By that time I might have forgotten where the inspiratioon came from :( Does that mean I shouldnt upload my finished card then, because I cant give "proper" credit?

I have a tote, for example, in my gallery...I KNOW it came from someone here...the template and all, but do I remember who? nope.....but I do say that in my comments....did i upload the picture to show my fellow SCS's that I had this great "new" idea? hell no!! I uploaded it because I was so darn surprised at myself for actually making something that came even remotely close to looking like a tote..LOL
Some of you have great suggestions as to how to keep track of who is inspiring us so I will try, from here on in, to be more dilignet about this. But on the other hand, if I have inadvertantly "cased" someone's card, please realize that I have done it out of sheer awe and admiration....if I want to make one that looks like yours...I must have really liked yours!!

JMO
I think this thread too a left turn somewhere.....LOL

The OP was talking about exact duplicate cards being posted. She didn't say don't CASE or don't upload your artwork.

I don't think there is anyone on here that has a problem with people CASEing. It's all about the sharing and learning from each other here on SCS.

Don't ever be afraid to upload to the gallery. Give credit when you can, but if you can't it's not a humungo deal
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 06:56 AM   #125  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by fool4scrapping
Sherry you just inspired me to go ahead and upload a card I am VERY proud of. I think the original is the current card "most likely to be cased". I am posting a link to my card and to the original card. Mtnstamper did such a beautiful job with this one that I just had to make one like it....

Thanks mtnstamper for the inspiration!

My Card image may still be pending!

Inspiration Card

again, thanks mtnstamper for the inspiration!!

Fool4Scrapping!!! I love the tag idea and have cased this to use with the $1 flip flops from Mike's and a tag with a flip flop. I don't upload my cards, so you won't see it, but I love your idea and the original as well. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:13 AM   #126  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to BadSherry

Quote:

Originally Posted by Consuelo
Dang, Ya'll! As a demo, I highly encourage my newbie stampers to come to SCS, check out the gallery and CASE, CASE, CASE! I think it's a great way for them to learn more about this art we call stamping. For you to suggest that they not upload CASEd artwork would also suggest that they aren't good enough to have a gallery.

You all are making "CASE" an ugly word. I don't think it was ever meant to be. This attitude totally goes against SU's philosophy.

I do think people should give credit where credit is due, but come on! Suggesting that people not upload artwork is ludicrous.
AMEN Consuelo!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:20 AM   #127  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

DITTO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 10:03 AM   #128  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by karla56
Fool4Scrapping!!! I love the tag idea and have cased this to use with the $1 flip flops from Mike's and a tag with a flip flop. I don't upload my cards, so you won't see it, but I love your idea and the original as well. Thanks!
Thanks Karla! I would REALLY like to see the finished card though! Wish you'd reconcider uploading (or you can send it privately ;))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 10:35 AM   #129  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wink Mini-jack

This is kinda related, but I just wanted to put in a gentle request, for those who simply may not be aware, that folks not upload exact or near exact duplicates of Dirty Dozen Designs. The Dirty Dozen Designers are, generally speaking, flattered to be CASED, BUT, we appreciate folks honoring this request here at SCS, because obviously, if there are dupes of these designs out in the main galleries, it rather defeats the purpose of the what the designs were created for:

To provide exclusive artwork to the SCS Fan Club Members as a thank you to them for their financial support of this site.

Because those designs are owned by the artists themselves, and "donated" to SCS, the Dirty Dozen themselves refrain from uploading them elsewhere for a 3 month period after they have been unveiled within those galleries to help preserve the integrity of that purpose. After that period of time, they may or may not choose to upload them to their other personal websites/galleries/blogs, etc., but for the most part, the designers keep it pretty limited in which of these designs they select to do that with, and looooong after the 3 month exclusivity time period has passed. :grin:

Thank you for helping support SCS, and the Dirty Dozen to that end so that Daven and Tracy can continue to keep this site available to so many.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 10:47 AM   #130  
Die Cut Diva

Julie, would it not be less confusing if the DD designs did not show up in the designers' personal galleries? If people are looking there and not in the DD gallery, they may not realize it is a fan club exclusive design?

Just an observation...

PS: I DO love the DD gallery! Thanks to ALL the dirty girls, past and present!
"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." Psalms 19:14
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 12:12 PM   #131  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharlene Wale
Julie, would it not be less confusing if the DD designs did not show up in the designers' personal galleries? If people are looking there and not in the DD gallery, they may not realize it is a fan club exclusive design?

Just an observation...

PS: I DO love the DD gallery! Thanks to ALL the dirty girls, past and present!
Hey, Sharlene, thank you for your comments!

Actually, it's easy to tell if a design is DD exclusive or not! When you click on the thumbnail, just above the enlarged photo, there is a menu bar, that tells you the design is from the Fan Club/DD Gallery, and even more specifically, which of the FC monthly galleries! :mrgreen:

Just look up at that menu bar above the photo! ;)

Also, in the last 6-9 months, the DD have been incorporating watermarks on those designs for their uploads which indicate "Designer's Name for Splitcoaststampers.com " to also help in this effort, as well as to protect the designers and the FC Gallery from "image harvesting".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 05:36 PM   #132  
Watercolor Wizard

I am sick of these threads. I think that one of 2 things need to happen.

1) If you don't want cased don't upload - it's that simple. By uploading, you are tooting your own horn, saying "lookie here what I made". Well, if you thought it was so great, so will someone else and they will be making it. If you are sending to a contest or a publication, don't post. I don't see authors sending out their books before they are published, it's just common sense. I send customers, my mom, etc... here and they have no idea someones going to get their panties in a bind if they "case". In fact they have no idea what "case" means. In recruiting, one of the biggest fears is you won't be able to come up with something original...my answer to that is you don't have to! SU, SCS, magazines, etc...all have great ideas to copy to demo, etc.. Many of my customers post to their own galleries here and don't read forums, so I'm sorry, they don't know this is an issue. All they care is "look I made this cool card" and they send the link to their friends. They don't care it's a case and either do their friends. They care that they made it and want their friends to see it, b/c then they might want to make it too.
2) SCS needs to address this issue. If casing is really such a terrible thing, then they need to have a disclaimer that a) explains what casing is b/c if you don't read the forums, you don't know, b) explains not to post a case to your gallery, &/or c) asks posters to give credit to the original artist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 05:57 PM   #133  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Hey, Sharlene, thank you for your comments!

Actually, it's easy to tell if a design is DD exclusive or not! When you click on the thumbnail, just above the enlarged photo, there is a menu bar, that tells you the design is from the Fan Club/DD Gallery, and even more specifically, which of the FC monthly galleries! :mrgreen:

Just look up at that menu bar above the photo! ;)

Also, in the last 6-9 months, the DD have been incorporating watermarks on those designs for their uploads which indicate "Designer's Name for Splitcoaststampers.com " to also help in this effort, as well as to protect the designers and the FC Gallery from "image harvesting".

Duh! That will teach me to pay attention! LOL :rolleyes:
Thanks for the explanation.
"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." Psalms 19:14
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 06:29 PM   #134  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I am dreadfully sorry, but I do not know who the 12 people are in the dirty dozen. I just realized today, JanTink is one. Had no idea. Could there be a list somewhere, so that if we do see an upload and case, there is no mistaken? Not everyone knows to click on this or that, check and double check. If it was clear, I would respect the rules. But, up until now, if they are posting with the masses, I have absolutely no clue.
I think if I see a card, and I like it. I am going to case it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 06:34 PM   #135  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgiemama
I am dreadfully sorry, but I do not know who the 12 people are in the dirty dozen. I just realized today, JanTink is one. Had no idea. Could there be a list somewhere, so that if we do see an upload and case, there is no mistaken? Not everyone knows to click on this or that, check and double check. If it was clear, I would respect the rules. But, up until now, if they are posting with the masses, I have absolutely no clue.
Here's the link to the Dirty Dozen Design Team. I haven't been added yet, but I am lucky enough to be the latest team member

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 06:50 PM   #136  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Ok, so is this all about me casing you? I am so sorry. My cards are not as beautiful as yours, but I did make sure you got credit. Why didn't someone just let me know directly?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 06:53 PM   #137  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I can not remember those names for more than 5 minutes.....They need to indicate they are with the DD, when they post. Including you, if you are now added. See, how was I do know? I am sorry, but there needs to be clear guidelines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:10 PM   #138  
Polyshrink Goddess

I THINK (and someone correct me if I'm wrong, which I most likely am) that what Julie is talking about are the images specifically designed for the Dirty Dozen gallery? Not everything stamped by each member of the team is off limits, just those in the exclusive gallery.....Am I making any sense at all? And am I right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:16 PM   #139  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Seriously, if this is directed at me, I am done with this website.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:40 PM   #140  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think you are TOTALLY misunderstanding what's being said.

Do you have a subscription to the DD gallery and do you understand how it works? If you don't, then it's a non-issue as you can't see the gallery anyway, therefore you could never CASE it.

The DD ladies do have their personal galleries and add other things that aren't DD stuff. Those are totally CASE-able. But the stuff in the DD gallery, people pay to see that stuff. Why would you share with everyone else something you pay to see? If everyone was sharing what was in the DD gallery, why would people pay? Then how would SCS get the money it uses to maintain itself? Think about it.

Calm down, Girl. As my sister says...it ain't that crucial. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:41 PM   #141  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

CLAPPING!!!!! Well said my dear!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:42 PM   #142  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just adding: I copied and pasted the above since I wrote the exact same thing on another thread.

...Just spreading the love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:51 PM   #143  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
Thank you for helping support SCS, and the Dirty Dozen to that end so that Daven and Tracy can continue to keep this site available to so many.

Thanks Julie! The DD Gallery is awesome. And your request makes total sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:56 PM   #144  
Compulsive Stamper

Are you all SERIOULSY telling me that EVERYTHING YOU UPLOAD to your GALLERY is 100% for sure ALL YOUR IDEA? You created every single thing in your gallery directly from a blank slate in your mind without ever considering any magazines, stamp stores, rubberstamp conventions, swaps, catalogs or ANYTHING ELSE???? I so seriously doubt it. Out of the THOUSANDS of gallery entries here, I'd say one in a hundred are truly original. Everything I see reminds me of something I've seen in a magazine or a class or on a wall somewhere.

Plain and simple.... if you see something you like and think HEY... I WANNA DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT, then when you do, GIVE CREDIT.

If you are cruising the gallery and see something that looks like something you stamped and your britches get bunched because your name ain't listed, first ask yourself if you are 100% sure that was your TRULY ORIGINAL IDEA. Not something you thought of after you saw something in a magazine. Not something you slightly tweaked after seeing something in a gallery here. If, after that, you are still experiencing a major melvin, then why the heck did you post your very special and should-be-trademarked work on a public forum where people come for ideas to make cards?????

Flame away, my extinguisher is at the ready!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 07:59 PM   #145  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandiMom
Flame away, my extinguisher is at the ready!
I'd rather see if we can keep this civil...but that's just me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:04 PM   #146  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
I wasn't going to post here either. It seems like I've posted to SO MANY OF THESE just today! Like Jana, though, there comes a point where you just have to.

I don't give a flip WHAT your card looks like. If it's a 100% replica of somebody's. If you want to put it in your gallery, DO IT! It's nobody's business why you want to put it there.

As for the whole question of "CASE-ing," I guess I'll just keep browbeating you all with my opinion, lol. IF you set out to replicate Susy Stamper's project, you'll know it. Give her credit. Uh, that's about it. Everything else comes down to opinion.

I've seen way, way too many feelings hurt by this subject, and I have to say I get so weary of seeing people afraid to post because somebody might accuse them of theft, which is basically what the accusations are. That's just plain wrong.

Yes, I've been "CASED," and if there's any irritation, it's that I like the other version BETTER than my own. Man, that bites!! So, I can get over it. I suggest some of you all do the same.

Stamping used to be fun. *** happened?
AMen sista!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #147  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Preach it baby!! Amen!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:13 PM   #148  
Kookie Creator

Default Ok, now I'm confused

are you guys saying that DD Gallery designs show up in personal galleries as well as the DD gallery? And, I'm assuming that you would only see these personal gallery entries if you subscribe to the Fan Club?

If so, then why don't the DD designs just use a comment on the card:
"DD Design. Please don't post CASED copies". At least this way the person CASING has been politely reminded (although it is possible that they might forget). That or have the file name reflect something similar.

It's not going to be 100% foolproof, but it should prevent most instances. And, if it is discovered that someone has accidentally posted a CASED DD card, then how about a simple "Hey, did you realize that the card was intended for the fan club only?" I'm sure the person CASING would simply say "ooops, sorry" and remove it. After all, they are paying for the FC and wouldn't want others to have the same cards for free.

I don't know the details but it seems like there has been an incident that is being referred to and things seem to be getting out of hand.

I think CASING is great and I'd just die if someone thought my work was great enough to CASE. One day....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:32 PM   #149  
Stazon Splitcoast

I guess some folks do not want to see a card that stamper A made and stamerpers B and C, CASE'd....their opinion is if stamper A made it and B & C copied it exactly then B & C should not upload, or be restricted in uploading...even if it is not a DD case.

I on the other hand say if you made it you can upload it no matter what. It is always nice and considerate to give credit where credit is due. But no one should be limiting our uploads because they were CASE'd with the exception of paid FC creations. The mention of the DD gallery policy was a side note on the CASEing issue.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 08:40 PM   #150  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hedgiemama
No, m'dear, I am a HAS BEEN (they call it "Alumni" just to make us feel better for having to leave....sob!) :mrgreen: I haven't been on the Dirty Dozen team for over a year.

You can CASE away at my stuff...just don't post any CASE's of my Dirty Dozen stuff as Ms. JulieHRR said (you can still copy it, that's what it is there for.) And since I've been out for over a year, it's been a LOOOOONNNGGG time since I've made anything for the DD galleries. So romp through my gallery, CASE away, and post whatever isn't CASED from the stuff I made for the DD gallery. Then somewhere in your comments in your work, stick my name in and say, "JanTink inspired this" or "JanTink's work is so awful, I thought I could do it better!" ;) or whatever...then when I do a search in the galleries for my name, I can get cool little ego boosts thinking that people actually WANT to copy my stuff. I love cool little ego boosts, it's hard to get them cleaning the bathroom, after all!:mrgreen:

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 09:12 PM   #151  
Insane Embellisher

boy I must say, this is all getting quite out of hand and quite confusing. As a new stamper and certainly new to this website, I must admit when I ATTEMPT to make a card, I feel that the best place to look for inspiration is this website. I have only uploaded 2 cards and 1 coaster and honestly, I didn't want them to be viewed by others because I didn't feel that they were up to par, so to speak. I wanted to hold on to them in MY GALLERY so that I could see how far I have come as a stamper a year or so down the road! not because I was so proud of what I have done. but I must tell you that by reading some of these comments, I will think twice before I upload anything again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 09:49 PM   #152  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

Dear "danamy" - Is that Amy? Don't worry about all this. Keep up your gallery and just have fun. That's what we're here for, right? And don't let the people who get upset worry you. It will all work out. Now people, I just have to echo what most people seem to be saying: You know if you CASE'd something and should give credit. If you made something you honestly thought was original, don't worry about it. I'm not even sure why I was reading this thread. I understand what the original poster was saying, and she wasn't trying to be negative or anything. And I hate to remind you, but there are really serious things going on in people's lives -- a girl at work was diagnosed with a brain tumor and given days to live, and she thinks she's staying in a hotel -- so I have to remind myself not to to get uptight about the small stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2006, 09:58 PM   #153  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Ever hear the phrase beating a dead horse?? Can we just let this one die.....It sounds like it may have taken a wrong turn.

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 04:38 AM   #154  
Glitter Guru

I have been thinking the same exact phrase for about two days now, AJ....seriously.
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 05:50 AM   #155  
Glitter Queen

Let this 'dead horse' die?

I think there's a good reminder here. And that's why some new posters have added their comments.

The reminder is be kind, considerate and thoughtful. Not everyone does everything the same on this site. And those who suggest that others shouldn't post something that you don't think you need to 'bother' to read /look at, should know that what you said was quite rude and hurtful.

If you don't like something in the gallery, move along. Someone new looking at the gallery may not have seen the original. Is this that so terrible?

Heaven forbid I start a gallery and have someone think my stuff is a copy of theirs. If someone copies an idea, or part of any idea...they should do their best to thank the person who shared it. But if they don't....is it so bad? If you don't want to be cased and see it again, maybe you shouldn't put it out there for all to case in the first place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 05:54 AM   #156  
Glitter Queen

I saw this thread recently and thought it might be a good reminder for us all to read. I epecially liked #12.

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

12. Be a friend. The first step to making friends is to be a friend. Find a way each day to encourage someone or make someone's day a little better. The smallest comment or gesture can mean so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 06:28 AM   #157  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

This thread is awful, we need to delete the whole thing. I feel bad for danamy being new and now feeling like she shouldn't load her cards. I am new since April and this is the first time I have seen this type of conversation going on. Kind of surprises me because my initial and continuing opinion of Splitcoast has been what a nice bunch of people. You know how you can report a inappropriate card to the founders of this site and I am assuming if it is really bad, they will reject? Can you report an inappropriate thread to them for deletion? It may have started out okay but it has turned into something ugly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 07:06 AM   #158  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Well, this thread is kinda going in circles, huh?!

A few folks mentioned that perhaps some thoughts I shared at my blog, would be conducive or helpful in some way to this thread.

Will they? I dunno. But, hopefully, it provides food for thought, and will be the last in this thread that is spiraling downwards . . . in which case it will probably end up being locked. ;)

Quote:

Well, now. I've watched these threads on CASEing many times over at the Splitcoast forums, CASEing is indeed a sensitive issue, for many reasons, and for that reason alone, generally speaking, I tend to refrain from commenting.

By the way, if you don't know the definition of the acronym CASE, it means "Copy And Share Everything", or "Copy And Steal Everything"--some folks object to the "steal" reference cuz it sounds "not nice". Over in the scrapbooking world, CASEing is frequently referred to as "Scrap-lifting".

CASEing also has a range of interpretations, from "exact duplication of another work", to "modified duplication of another work", meaning that some minor changes have been made or "tweaked" to the original concept, from color scheme, to swapping out images used, etc.

As I watch the discussions, I find one key thing extremely disheartening: a lack of understanding or an unwillingness, if you will, to recognize that not everybody "feels" the same about it and that that is OK. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to feel about the issue; there are merely different ways of feeling about it, and everybody is different. Some feel flattered and others do not, and I find it puzzling when I see statements to the effect of, "You *should* feel flattered." "What's the big deal? Get over it!" No matter what my own personal feelings are on it, I can certainly respect someone else's right to feel differently. Who am I to tell someone else how they *should* feel about anything? Feelings, like opinions, are what they are.

Stamping "etiquette", if you will, suggests that many folks feel *most* flattered, and overjoyed, when they are CASEd with appropriate credit when due.

When I upload a modified CASE of artwork shared over at SCS, I try very hard to credit the individual specifically, simply out of courtesy and heart-felt appreciation to the originating artist for sharing the hard work and effort they put into their creation. And, if I genuinely don't know/can't recall, I note that.

Sidebar: Recently, I completely spaced one artist's design when listing my sources of inspiration for a Dirty Dozen creation. But, when the artist pointed out her original, I quickly, and gladly, added that information . Now, did she invent the fold that was used? Well, no--it's been around. And, I used different stamp images, but, Rene�'s concept and use of it was uniquely clever, and there was no doubt it left a distinctive impression in my subconcious, right down to the color scheme she used! And, my resulting project was nowhere nearly as cute as hers was, in the end. chuckle!

I took someone's suggestion in another thread, and late last night, I did a search in the gallery for my userid. To my surprise, and delight, discovered a number of my designs CASEd. Most were not exact duplicates, but, a few were.

What an incredibly warm and happy feeling I had!!! On one level, personally, as an artist, it just tickled me to death to know that something I had belabored over, fine-tuned, and then shared, actually inspired someone else in their own personal creative endeavors, and that they took the time to note this in the description box! It made me feel like the thinking processes, and hours, spent developing those designs were genuinely appreciated and valued by those who used them. This means more to artists, I suspect, than many folks actually realize!

As a free-lance (professional) designer, it is also tremendously appreciated and important. Why? Well, because I upload to public galleries to share and inspire others, but also, as a means of developing "name recognition", with regards to my own individual "fingerprint" or "style" in the art stamping industry and profession.

Developing name recognition by posting designs to public galleries enables manufacturers and such in the industry (who frequently lurk anonymously within such galleries) to take a closer look at a given artist, to see if their "style" is compatible with their products, and perhaps contract with them to do design work.

Having creations published in print is one way to develop name recognition, but it is very dependent on whether or not an editor actually selects one's creations among hundreds of DAILY submissions, to print.

Few people are aware, it seems, that design work for publication is such that designers spend an incredible amount of hours producing large quantities of designs, because, truth and reality be told, the ratio of acceptances is very low, vs. rejections. It is grueling, time-consuming WORK! There are constant deadlines, constant resubmissions of rejected designs to the next publication, in hopes it will be accepted, and you will therefore get paid for all the time, effort and creative energy put into it.

Frequently, designs must be created to suit a theme or design "call", and the job of producing artwork that not only meet's the publisher's needs but, in addition, isn't merely a regurgitation of stuff that's already out there, is frequently a very daunting challenge.

This leaves the individual in pursuit of professional work always juggling what to share, how much to share, and what to reserve for possible income opportunities. I say "possible", because there are no guarantees the work will yield income.

If anyone has ever CASEd a project I shared for their personal use, I am truly honored, and if they took the time to include a reference to me as the source of inspiration when they uploaded it, I am most humbly appreciative both personally, and professionally.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart! (insert GINORMOUS BONE CRUSHING HUG HERE)
I wish everybody a stamp happy day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 07:14 AM   #159  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Loading up all my B's and headed to the best gathering evah!

Excellent Julie--thanks for posting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2006, 07:49 AM   #160  
Rubber Obsessor

Red face my two cents

I have only 11 cards in my gallery..a few cased, a few from my head and the others I just don't know. When I case your card, I am paying you the highest compliment I can. Personally, I do not do an exact case, I use my own colors etc. my casing is for the idea, the layout. When I look at the cards on SCS I just love them. Everyone is so talented and everyone deserves to be cased, because it IS a compliment. It is also an extreme ego thing, don't we all just love to get all those positive compliments? We actually go back and check for them. CASEing is the same thing. Think about it, when nonstampers go to the store and pick out a card there are trillions, they look at all the cards then walk away with that one card that stood out isn't that what we do when we CASE? The only difference is that we make them. How great are we????? So keep on casing and if you see something I've done and would like to CASE it, I now say thanks for the ego boast! CASE away fellow stamplers!!!!!!!:p
Reply With Quote Likes