Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-01-2006, 06:30 AM   #1  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about not posting exact CASES?

There are SOOOO many uploads to look at that if you have CASED something from here almost exactly, GREAT, but you do not need to show us. IF you do post something directly related to someone elses post PLEASE say "inspired by so-and-so, or create a like saying inspired by this: xxxx/syoiud.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 06:36 AM   #2  
Lil' RAD Taquito

I agree with you. The original ideas should receive some credit after all they were the source of inspiration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 06:54 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree. If it is an exact replica of someone else's card (which has already been posted, obviously) then we don't need to see it again. No offense, but really...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 07:11 AM   #4  
Lil' RAD Taquito

Amen for that NONDA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 07:30 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, but we must also remember that people use thier galleries for other reasons than showing US their cards. Some people just want to have a record of what all they've made and others use it to show friends and family what they've done. So while it would be nice if we could only see original works, it's just not going to happen. Not while this is a public gallery at least.

What I'd like to see is people not upload the same exact card 5 times in a row. Or please learn how to use your software and get rid of the excess white space from the scanner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 08:13 AM   #6  
Say Cheese!!

I have to agree here...I have thought about this in the past.. a few times I wanted to upload something just to put it in my "Album" I didnt necessarily want it displayed for anyone else to view... I sometimes send customers to my personal album to see items their kids can make for the birthday parties etc. I wish there was a drop down when you first upload with a choice....include in daily additions Y/N.
You also have the RAK situation. One person makes the card (upload) another receives it... (upload) this usually takes place, as a general rule a couple days apart :-D -- adn you tend to see the card 2 times in a short period. If there was a way to go straight to your gallery and not be seen for that day... that would be an option for the RAKS, Misc additions and CASEs. Not sure this is even an option-- cause I dont know how the back end works here.. But I know I love all that they do!!
I do agree with the OP about at the very least-- if you are inspired by a card--and then case it--- it would be nice to name that person in your upload. I have seen many and many a time where this is not done....got to be frustrating for the creator.
Quote:

Originally Posted by laurakj
I agree, but we must also remember that people use thier galleries for other reasons than showing US their cards. Some people just want to have a record of what all they've made and others use it to show friends and family what they've done. So while it would be nice if we could only see original works, it's just not going to happen. Not while this is a public gallery at least.

What I'd like to see is people not upload the same exact card 5 times in a row. Or please learn how to use your software and get rid of the excess white space from the scanner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 08:43 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I don't personally upload CASE or cards made at workshops, that are not my own idea. But some people are just as proud of a well done casing as others are of their original work. So I think we just have to except what everyone chooses to share. However with the RAK's it would seem if you know who sent the card you would check and see if they uploaded it and maybe just add a comment as the reciever of the card, I don't know...............

K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 09:16 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think that, sometimes because of the sheer number of people you get here, you aren't going to remember who made every single card you looked at, and I'm certainly not going to go back and look at 200 cards just to say..."this card was inspired by so and so." That is an hour of my day wasted.

And really, there are no original ideas...we all see the same thing over and over...maybe someone else that has posted first CASED an exact card that someone hasn't been able to upload.

I think this type of attitude discourages people from posting and we should not be doing that...we want to see everyone's work, regardless of what it looks like!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 09:20 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have not yet put any of my work in a gallery and I think this type of thing might deter me from thinking of it. There really are only so many ways to do things and sometimes things are very similar without being "cased" (or as some of you seem to feel stolen) I could understand if they were publishing the work or saying that it was totally created by them. I think I would consider it an honor if people liked my work enough to make copies for themselves and felt it was good enough to show others too.
Just my feelings on the subject. By the way, I love almost everything I have seen on Splitcoast, it really inspires me. Thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 09:23 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue_gal
I have not yet put any of my work in a gallery and I think this type of thing might deter me from thinking of it. There really are only so many ways to do things and sometimes things are very similar without being "cased" (or as some of you seem to feel stolen) I could understand if they were publishing the work or saying that it was totally created by them. I think I would consider it an honor if people liked my work enough to make copies for themselves and felt it was good enough to show others too.
Just my feelings on the subject. By the way, I love almost everything I have seen on Splitcoast, it really inspires me. Thanks for sharing
Please, please, PLEASE don't let this type of attitude deter you from posting your art!! The majority of us want to see it...honest!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 09:35 AM   #11  
Vee
Glitter Guru

I see now about the personal albums. Didn't think of that. my whole suggestion was just from reading several posts lately from p.o.ed people who saw their own creations copied under someone elses upload name. The broken record there is "why didn't they just credit me" or "why post the SAME thing?' I love that we each can have personal albums here, but maybe we should request more ways to designate where you want an upload to go?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 09:42 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't see the point of posting your own version of someone else's card. Copy away, sell them at craft fairs, whatever, but I really don't understand why you'd take the time to take a picture and upload to your gallery the exact same card someone else has posted.

When you change it up a bit, use different stamps and colors, then it becomes something unique and should absolutely be uploaded. JMHO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 09:47 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Please show your art work. I don't mind seeing things that are cased because I don't see every card that gets uploaded. In fact, I don't see many. Just keep the cards or projects coming. I get lots of ideas and spend more $$$. As I tell my hubby, someone needs to help keep the economy going. My gallery is tiny because I don't take the time to upload my projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 09:51 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I will post a cased card (although its not usually a 100% case ... I try to add my own touches to it) so that I have a record in my personal gallery, to share with family members and friends. I always try to give credit where credit is due and feel that it is important to do this, if you can. I too think that we are all proud of our work, whether it is an original idea, inspiration from someone else or cased completely. If someone sees a gorgeous card and wants to case it, maybe they feel proud that they could actually recreate the same card! I think people should feel free and comfortable with posting any of their creations, we dont want people NOT to post their creations because they feel like someone else might be annoyed because its too similar to theirs, or whatever. Lets feel honoured if someone cases one of our cards and then posts it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 09:59 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Wasn't there just a thread about this a month or so ago? I remember it vaguely...

And yes....personally, I CASE things and add my own stuff or take stuff away and make it my own and then upload it so that I have it somewhere. Why do I upload it if it's a CASE? In case something happens to my computer, like last night....when my laptop just died and sudden and irreversable death....and took all my cards save on there with it. So I am glad for SCS's gallery for that very reason! ;)

Also...sometimes I see a card and don't think much about it and then a few weeks later make a card and don't remember that someone made one very similar. There are so many great and fabulous ideas on SCS that it's hard to keep track of!!!

JMHO! ;)
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 10:05 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faereygirl
Wasn't there just a thread about this a month or so ago? I remember it vaguely...
And the month before that, and probably the month before that... ;)

This topic is a VERY frequent one. My gallery isn't that big for two reasons -- partly because I don't stamp all that much, but also (like many other posters to this thread) I see little point in duplicating something already here.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 10:07 AM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassyat30
I think that, sometimes because of the sheer number of people you get here, you aren't going to remember who made every single card you looked at, and I'm certainly not going to go back and look at 200 cards just to say..."this card was inspired by so and so." That is an hour of my day wasted.

And really, there are no original ideas...we all see the same thing over and over...maybe someone else that has posted first CASED an exact card that someone hasn't been able to upload.

I think this type of attitude discourages people from posting and we should not be doing that...we want to see everyone's work, regardless of what it looks like!
I'm gonna politely disagree

SU alone has 60 colors + a jillion different images + backgrounds + embellishments + phrases. Any of these items can be changed to make a card a tweaked case instead of an exact case.

Every day in the gallery I see examples of original ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 10:09 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
And the month before that, and probably the month before that... ;)
Hmmm, and where's that another one about Ebay...... :rolleyes: LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 10:19 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

A polite comment on the whole - It is my PERSONAL gallery, yes that is your personal gallery, it has your name on it. But it also open to the rest of us.

If you want to "just keep a record of what you've stamped", well that is what your PERSONAL computer and storage is for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 10:19 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

I too disagree with the op. If someone wants to post their artwork (be it cased or original) please do so. Give credit to the originator if appropriate.

Glenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 10:20 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
I'm gonna politely disagree

SU alone has 60 colors + a jillion different images + backgrounds + embellishments + phrases. Any of these items can be changed to make a card a tweaked case instead of an exact case.

Every day in the gallery I see examples of original ideas.
Well said Jeanne!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 10:22 AM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Sara, Laura, Deb, and others have said it so well. I'd just like to add that if you want to see *only* original creations, stick to the Fan Club Gallery or go buy a magazine. I don't think uploads to the gallery need to be judged by anybody's standards. Threads like this have zero impact on most uploaders and their choices, with the exception of some newer members who see the drama a few individuals (usually different every time) create about this issue and decide they'd rather not share their creations with us after all in case the beautiful card they made for their mother, brother, etc. upsets somebody. I think it's our loss when that happens!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 10:26 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

In the past year I have had to replace two hard drives in my computer. Lost EVERYTHING. Including pictures & cards. If I can't post my work original or cased in my gallery then WHY did I join SCS???? Are there going to be "rules" now on what I can and can't put in my gallery???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 10:29 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think it's all about respect.... Give credit where credit is due.... I say, post away, just don't forget to thank/mention where you got the idea from.. I don't think it's about rules, just respect...
R-E-S-P-E-C-T!! Sing it Sistas!!! hehehe ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 10:38 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by onestampinmama
A polite comment on the whole - It is my PERSONAL gallery, yes that is your personal gallery, it has your name on it. But it also open to the rest of us.

If you want to "just keep a record of what you've stamped", well that is what your PERSONAL computer and storage is for.
Wow! I am speechless at this! So, apparently, now there are certain standards for stamping and only *your* standards are acceptable?? I don't think so!

If people want to post their cards, whether CASED or not, they are allowed to do so and should not be intimidated/deterred by this type of attitude!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 10:49 AM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I've seen it before, I just zip on by it when I'm cruising the gallery (or plodding through it lately...it's so darn slooooow!). I don't see the point in uploading a CASE, but it doesn't really bother me all that much.
As far as giving credit to the original designer, it's not that difficult. I keep a note book by my computer, and, if I see an element on a card that I really like, I make a note of it and the name of the poster. Then I can say who inspired the idea when I upload.
I also agree with Jeanne that there certainly are original ideas! I see them almost every day in the gallery. Could two people, working separately come up with a similar card? Of course, but it doesn't happen all that often, in my experience.
So upload your work, CASEed or not, just try to make an honest attempt to credit the original artist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 10:52 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've been trying to stay out of this thread. I probably shouldn't post anything because I am annoyed. It's never good to post while you're annoyed. I'm hot, I have a kidney infection, and I'm ovulating, not a good combo. All that being said, why do we all feel the need to tell each other what to do all the time? If I want to post something that's CASED in my gallery, I'm gonna. Will I really? No, because I don't think it's any fun to CASE, I like to create all on my own. But, there are many people out there who have trouble coming up with original ideas. If they are proud of it and want to put it in there gallery, who cares?? What is the big deal?? If they copied someone, then they should say who and politely thank them. Other than that, what is the big deal??

Seriously girls, no offense meant what so ever, but I just really don't get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 10:57 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by handstampedhappiness
I've been trying to stay out of this thread. I probably shouldn't post anything because I am annoyed. It's never good to post while you're annoyed. I'm hot, I have a kidney infection, and I'm ovulating, not a good combo. All that being said, why do we all feel the need to tell each other what to do all the time? If I want to post something that's CASED in my gallery, I'm gonna. Will I really? No, because I don't think it's any fun to CASE, I like to create all on my own. But, there are many people out there who have trouble coming up with original ideas. If they are proud of it and want to put it in there gallery, who cares?? What is the big deal?? If they copied someone, then they should say who and politely thank them. Other than that, what is the big deal??

Seriously girls, no offense meant what so ever, but I just really don't get it.
Thank you, Kathyrn...SCS does not need the "upload police" on who can post cards and who can't, and the content of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 11:09 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

I do agree that it is nice to give credit where it is due and I do try to remember when I do get my ideas from someone else.

What I do is print the picture out and write the user id and all the colors and stuff they used. I find this is the easiest way for me to remember. I also put it in my favs but sometimes I forget about my favs and having the picture printed out works better.

As to uploading CASE'd work, I think it is ok to do, I mean it is your own personal little piece of the internet super-highway so fill it up with whatever you want, I love it all and besides I might have missed the first one or the third one or the fourth one, UKWIM. ;)
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 11:11 AM   #30  
Watercolor Wizard

quite simple... if it looks like something you've seen before, skip it and

MOVE ON!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 11:24 AM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by fool4scrapping
quite simple... if it looks like something you've seen before, skip it and

MOVE ON!
In total agreement. I swear, everyday lately there is whining and complaining about something. I used to come here to escape my kids...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 11:33 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't think it's whining.. or policing... I think it's kinda like 'Stealing someone's Thunder'....

Have you ever been exicited to show someone something and have them say 'Oh I've already seen it' or maybe make something (like clothing from a pattern) and have someone make the exact same thing with different material? It just takes away the excitement from what you've made....

When I post cards I've cased, I give credit to the member who I took inspiration from. I in return don't get many replies, cause it's been 'seen' before, but that's okay... But I still give credit..... JMHO ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 11:44 AM   #33  
Lil' RAD Taquito

I really think some people have taken this so personally. It makes me as upset as they are. I think we all have opinions and we can all voice our opinions. I thought the idea of this thread was to instill RESPECT about other people's hard work.
If you copy or CASE whatever you want to call it a card at least what you can do is recognize the original creator for inspiring you.
I didn't think anybody was prohibiting anything.
There are many ways of preserving your work and a PEN drive can do wonders plus it alows you to carry your work with you. They are very inexpensive now.
Some people just need to take a chill pill and count to 100 before they get so upset.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 11:46 AM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Can someone tell me what CASE really stands for, I get the general idea of what it is just wondering what in the world the letters really stand for....I am pretty creative and can come up with a few on my own but I would like the proper answer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 11:48 AM   #35  
Watercolor Wizard

I agree credit should be given.... that wasn't the OP's complaint. It was a complaint about posting cases in the first place....

if this is the case, then we may as well get rid of the sketch and color challenges.... I am not alone when I say that I combine the challenges... sometimes I'll upload a card, and low and behold someone else used the same color combo, sketch and stamp set.... they may not be exact, but they are simular enough to LOOK like a case.... is that now going to bother people? Where do we draw the line?

I say GET OVER IT... if it's a case, feel flattered it was good enough to case, and if they haven't credited you, post a response "glad I could inspire you".

If it doesn't effect you any more than being "inconvenienced" by *GASP* having to shift your eye a flippin' millimeter to the left or right to skip past it, then don't let it bother you. It's no big hardship to just look over it and not give it a second look....

JMO, flame away if you must.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 11:48 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Really, is this that big of an issue??????

I see cards in the gallery all the time that are either exact CASE's or spin off's of the original. Several times they are CASE's of cards in my gallery...do I care??? No, and you want to know why? We all came to this website for one reason...we like to STAMP! I am not about to tell someone else what they can or not post. If I posted my card in the gallery...I do so knowing there is a chance it will be CASED. So my suggestions is, if you don't want to see anyone CASE your work, then perhaps you should keep it locked away where no one else can see it. (but I would rather you share it ;))

Lately a lot of things have been posted in this forum telling people what they should or should not being doing. It is getting very old...and I feel it is making new comers feel insecure about what they post. Not very welcoming, if you ask me!

I am sorry if this seems snotty, but I am just tired of all the bickering that goes on...about such trivial things. We are here to stamp and to learn about stamping....not to pick apart everything people do, say or sell!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 11:49 AM   #37  
Lil' RAD Taquito

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by dolphenecho
I don't think it's whining.. or policing... I think it's kinda like 'Stealing someone's Thunder'....

Have you ever been exicited to show someone something and have them say 'Oh I've already seen it' or maybe make something (like clothing from a pattern) and have someone make the exact same thing with different material? It just takes away the excitement from what you've made....

When I post cards I've cased, I give credit to the member who I took inspiration from. I in return don't get many replies, cause it's been 'seen' before, but that's okay... But I still give credit..... JMHO ;)
YAY I think that is soo true.
Ladies think how you will feel it the same was done to your work?? Would you like to be acknowledged for you hard work?? and then at the same time feel a little proud of being and inspiration to others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 11:49 AM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Seems like 95% of the time I see the "CASE" acronym used it's not a true CASE anyway. Meaning not a complete copy. {CASE = Copy and Steal Everything.} Almost everyone throws in a few tweaks. Just one little tweak can be inspiring in and of itself. Maybe one person's tweak is another person's inspiration, KWIM? I say post away! And credit that inspiration source whenever possible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 11:54 AM   #39  
Inking Addict

Copy And Steal Everything
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2006, 11:55 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by dolphenecho

I absolutely agree with giving credit.
Reply With Quote Likes