Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-24-2008, 06:57 AM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post

Your cards are Great looking. The only thing I noticed that is different about your cards. Is the lighting. Your cards that you have "0" comments on the lighting is very dark..

This might be one reason...

Another reason could me. When you upload your cards.

I try not to upload on Sunday or Monday's .
Thanks for the honest opinions. Also, thanks for the comments, navybrat75!

"I'd give up chocolate, but I'm not a quitter!"

Last edited by OCDstamper; 07-24-2008 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #42  
Insane Embellisher

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I was just going to say the same thing. I completely agree.

The reason I don't post anything to the Gallery anymore is that I (almost) never receive a comment. How can 259 people view something, yet only my best friend on this board take the time to leave a comment? My general rule of thumb used to be that, whenever I would post something to the Gallery, I would try to leave at least 3 comments. And if I take the time to view something, I always leave a positive comment. That's just being polite. Whatever happened to being just plain nice?

Is this too honest?
I don't think you should stop posting! Remember why you started stamping in the first place. For yourself, right. Not for everyone else. Hope THIS isn't too honest. I just want you to feel like you can still post and not worry about what everyone else thinks! I should take my own advice here huh. I'm bad about giving advice and not taking it myself.

I agree with being polite and commenting if you take the time to view it. Leaving 3 comments is a good rule of thumb. I will have to put that into action now.
Thanks!!

Jenny
My Blog..
http://pinchofpaisley.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #43  
Forum Fanatic

To those who gave me feedback on the Noah Outlines card, can you tell me what you think of this version? It seems TOO plain to me, but what do you think? How to spice it up without distracting from the image??
The picture isn't the best because it is dark here and a flash would just bounce off the acetate, but I think you get the idea...
Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Honest comment thread-test-noah-outline.jpg  

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 11:29 AM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

I like the card both ways. For me the difference in how I make the card would be in who I was giving it to. If I was giving to my nieces I would use the bright bold colors, giving to my sister, I would concentrate more on the coloring of the photo and use the more plain matting and framing. Is that a help? lol

BTW, this is in answer to notsocreative's question about her Ark card. Since I've seen your gallery, I now know that your screenname is innacurate!

Last edited by navybrat75; 07-25-2008 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: added who the message was for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 05:56 PM   #45  
Forum Fanatic

Awww, thanks Navybrat75! I feel I can't take any credit though, I mostly CASE...thanks for your feedback, though!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2008, 11:07 PM   #46  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottoocreativeView Post
To those who gave me feedback on the Noah Outlines card, can you tell me what you think of this version? It seems TOO plain to me, but what do you think? How to spice it up without distracting from the image??
The picture isn't the best because it is dark here and a flash would just bounce off the acetate, but I think you get the idea...
Thanks again!
I went back and looked at your card w/ the ric-rac and wow, what a difference. I like this card much better but, silly me, I still like the yellow frame maybe not as wide as the original. Have you tried placing the image on diff. colors? It is beautiful and with so many colors in it, it may need a bkgrnd push. Or, my taste is probably all off and its perfect this way. Just do what you feel is right and then it will be. Your art is wonderful!!! May God bless, Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #47  
Forum Fanatic

Thank you, Sandi...I did try different colors and couldn't find one that really made the image "pop" like the black did, for some reason...but I didn't try a whole bunch of colors, I admit (THIS is why I CASE--I can do an image but then I'm stuck as to how to make it into a nice card LOL). I do think it is less distracting at least, than the first version! As for the width of the yellow frame, I think I am kind of stuck there because of the lack of planning ahead on my part--I should have incorporated the frame as part of the image to begin with. Instead, I did the image and cut both out and then went d'oh (hit myself on the head) because it needed foam tape between them (which would have been accomplished easily if I had left a "frame" around the image when cutting it out). So there is foam tape under the frame and that's how wide it is...I could maybe cut it but this was definitely the easiest way to work with my goof.
Another thought I had was just to use some kind of soft yellow to sponge the white, or to stamp a sentiment all around the frame (like "congrats" over & over, or a poem spread into 4 lines, or whatever), just so it isn't so stark white. I could do the same on the black bg, soften it with white ink or something. I don't know if you could tell that I cuttled it with Swiss dots to give it some texture IRL at least.
Thanks again, this is EXACTLY what I need!!! On ALL of my cards!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2008, 12:49 PM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottoocreativeView Post
Thanks again!
I do think this adorable, and I liked the first version, too. I agree that a teeny bit more pop of color would be great, but it doesn't have to be a layer of paper....Do you have any colored brads in any of the colors in your image? If not, how about embossing powder in a color? You can punch or create photo corners in one of the colors and put them on somewhere....I love it when I use them on pop dots... There are lots of ways to get color besides just a layer, although I admit I quite often think in layers, too, lol!

It's really a cute card, and I think you should be proud of it just the way it is!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think it's very pretty. Just add a little ribbon and some bling maybe.
Check out my new Blog: stampin & stylin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 08:15 AM   #50  
Crimping Master

Default You want honesty. . .OK

I deliberately do not post a "recipe�. I look at cards here that inspire me and give me ideas. I post cards that I hope inspire. Why do you need to know anything that I used? When I see a card, I think "Wow, what a great card! I've got some paper that is similar to that, and I could use (fill in the blank)." The only thing that I think is important to list if it is an unusual technique or what stamp you used. Many times I ask myself "I wonder how they did that" or "I wonder where they got that stamp." Other than that, why does anyone care what ink I use or what paper? The other reason I usually don't post recipes is because I don't like to promote companies. Sorry, they don't give me discounts or other incentives so why should I give them free advertising by saying things like "My ink is Versamark" or "the paper is from Basic Grey."? Tons of people here are super talented and get their own ideas for things based on inspiration from others here. The only reason I can see for wanting to know the recipe for something is to duplicate the card. Why would anyone want to do that? Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't get it. Finally, for the sake of honesty, when I read that there are posts out there that actually promote deliberately not posting comments because someone has no recipe, is unbelievable and spiteful to me. This is a place for people to share their work and ideas, and to deliberately not say something nice about their work because they haven't listed their "products" is just snobbery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by indycurtView Post
I deliberately do not post a "recipe�. <snip>...... Finally, for the sake of honesty, when I read that there are posts out there that actually promote deliberately not posting comments because someone has no recipe, is unbelievable and spiteful to me. This is a place for people to share their work and ideas, and to deliberately not say something nice about their work because they haven't listed their "products" is just snobbery.
Can I kiss you, lol? This site has always been about friendship and inspiration. There are no "rules" about recipes and there never have been. Until there are, I'm more than happy and grateful to accept whatever people choose to share with me, kwim? I cringe when I see posts "boycotting" people whose uploads don't include "enough." It's petty and mean and totally uncalled for.

About getting comments? When I've uploaded (which hasn't been a lot recently), I set the thing to notify me if there's a comment. Sort of a "set it and forget it" feature I love, lol! That way if someone has a question, I'm aware of it, but I'm not checking my gallery a million times just to see if someone's commented....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Stampinem: "That said... I get very few comments and I do leave recipes... so maybe mine are just to dang ugly."

I just checked out your gallery and there isn't one "dang ugly" card to be found there!

I am guilty of just looking at someone's gallery and not leaving comments, but I will try to do better. Come to think of it, I just looked at all of your cards and didn't leave one comment! :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 10:31 AM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you Sylvia. It's enough that you said it here.
And Indycurt... AMEN TO THAT. There is no rule about recipes... and while they are encouraged, I feel the same way about folks who would deliberately not post a comment...
well said.
em
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2008, 06:38 PM   #54  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by indycurtView Post
I deliberately do not post a "recipe”. I look at cards here that inspire me and give me ideas. I post cards that I hope inspire. Why do you need to know anything that I used? When I see a card, I think "Wow, what a great card! I've got some paper that is similar to that, and I could use (fill in the blank)." The only thing that I think is important to list if it is an unusual technique or what stamp you used. Many times I ask myself "I wonder how they did that" or "I wonder where they got that stamp." Other than that, why does anyone care what ink I use or what paper? The other reason I usually don't post recipes is because I don't like to promote companies. Sorry, they don't give me discounts or other incentives so why should I give them free advertising by saying things like "My ink is Versamark" or "the paper is from Basic Grey."? Tons of people here are super talented and get their own ideas for things based on inspiration from others here. The only reason I can see for wanting to know the recipe for something is to duplicate the card. Why would anyone want to do that? Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't get it. Finally, for the sake of honesty, when I read that there are posts out there that actually promote deliberately not posting comments because someone has no recipe, is unbelievable and spiteful to me. This is a place for people to share their work and ideas, and to deliberately not say something nice about their work because they haven't listed their "products" is just snobbery.
I must admit, I am one of the ones who would want to duplicate the card! :rolleyes: Also, sometimes I have been surprised, when I think something is pink in the photo and the supplies used say apricot or something...well, if it's not SU then I may not have the same exact thing, but at least I have some idea of what I'm shooting for. I am not that great at color combos, so if I see something that strikes me, I do want to duplicate it! Especially if it is yellow, and I'm thinking "is that a nice soft yellow or is that a bright yellow like yoyo?" I don't necessarily put that the paper is "Basic Grey", though.
I don't know if that made any sense, but I *do* like it when the person puts some details down. Especially if it's not obvious in the photo (to the person who made it, it might seem obvious though).
Like something I just thought of, is the cuttlebugged bg -- I would NEVER have known how to achieve that look without the explanation.
I guess it's like sharing your food recipes. If I like your cookies, and ask for the recipe, would you give it to me or say "why would you want to duplicate this exact thing?" I know it's not exactly the same, I'm just trying to come up with some kind of analogy. Some people do get very protective of their recipes, too (not saying you are protective, but just trying to expand the analogy)
I don't "boycott" anyone though (just to clarify that). :cool:
I just went to your gallery, and I saw a card that I had commented on several days ago, and had saved to try and CASE someday : )

Last edited by nottoocreative; 07-27-2008 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: realized I had commented on your card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #55  
Forum Fanatic

I finally got around to redoing the Noah card and I actually like it I think! I tried to soften the black card base with flannel & linen bgs in chalk Ice Blue, but it's hard to see. I think coloring the white "frame" yellow & adding a ribbon really helped. Thank you all for your help!!!!
Noah Outlines technique 3rd try by nottoocreative at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #56  
Inking Addict

Smile

As a newbie may I share something?
Many may be familiar with Toastmasters International clubs. I have been a member for 6 months now. A phobia of public speaking led me there after 16 years of living with the fear. I finally found a place that 'WELCOMED' me.

I was accepted for who I am, what I know now, I don't have to pretend to be someone who I am not, they laugh with me; not at me and they encourage me every single week. I get a clap everytime I stand up to be recognized, whether it be for a 1 minute or a 10 min. speech. If I say something right or wrong..I still get a clap, no matter what.

Our motto is: criticism is fine when given in a 'constructive' way. When we evaluate a speaker, we use the sandwich method:

Top layer: Give a compliment (in this case) on a member's card.

Second layer: Opportunity for improvement for card, if you feel led to do so.

Bottom layer: Follow up with another good comment to tie it all together. This only makes the person feel good. The person tried their best. They wouldn't have posted in the gallery if they hadn't.

Being new here, I am very 'GREEN' behind the ears for sure. I have posted 2 cards to my gallery. Everyone here made me feel like I was in my Toastmasters club when giving me comments. I felt like you were all clapping and cheering me on. I don't know all the proper etiquette of the SCS forums and the gallery. If someone asks specifically as the OP did, then try the sandwich method sometimes if you must leave feedback that you would want the person to give the recipe next time or maybe add something extra to a card. But always end on a good note.

Thanks for reading and welcoming me here too..

JOY

ps..going to look at card and leave feedback.. now
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #57  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joy4lly
If someone asks specifically as the OP did, then try the sandwich method sometimes if you must leave feedback that you would want the person to give the recipe next time or maybe add something extra to a card. But always end on a good note.
I guess you can only edit so many times then you times are up..I tried to edit the post again but to no avail. Here I am posting again. I just wanted to clarify that I am not implying anyone left bad feedback on Navybrat's gallery card. I was just sharing the sandwich method I have learned, in 'general' for feedback whether in gallery or on threads is always a good thing. Ok i'm gone again.:oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #58  
Forum Fanatic

Good point, Joy...I know I have a hard time giving constructive criticism; I either don't say anything or it seems to come out mean...so I should probably go to Toastmaster's LOL I've heard nothing but good about that program. I don't have a fear of public speaking but I'm sure I could learn a lot.

Reply With Quote Likes