Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Do you think the sets in the Holiday Mini are worth it?
I think the product is well worth the price 635 62.19%
I don't think the products are worth the price 386 37.81%
Voters: 1021. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2007, 05:42 AM   #81  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I didn't get blown away by anything in there at all. I think some prices are OK, but a few were pretty shocking! Gift Labels is too high. Stem Silhouettes is downright crazily priced. But I think True Friend is a fine deal. It's odd.

If it goes back to the amount of wood used (I don't know), I'd LOVE the option to buy unmounted. NOT acrylic, per se, but unmounted. I LOVE using my Bellas right out of the package. I put double stick tape on my block and it's perfect every time.

Seriously, I've not bought much SU at all in the last year because I like other stuff now: Bellas, PaperTrey, Stampendous, Hero Arts, Stamps by Judith, etc. It must be scary for them now because the competition is tougher in that field than it's ever been.

Cindy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 05:43 AM   #82  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have been a long time SU buyer, but I was so disappointed in the new catty and now the Holiday Mini. Because of this, I have started branching out to other companies. It sounds like there are quite a few people that feel the same way. Maybe this will open the eyes of those that have control and they will start revising the program. Hopefully they will look at what we say as a positive and want to look at change as a positive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 05:44 AM   #83  
Polyshrink Goddess

Cindy, I was in Target on Sunday. My Target has really upgraded their scrapbooking/stamping section. They now sell Autumn Leaves clear stamps, and they had a set of Swirls (I think it was the first set) for $9.99. I would have bought it if I hadn't just ordered the second set on-line. I will start looking there first from now on. Hope you can find it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 05:45 AM   #84  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: I don't stamp, I just talk about stamping on the internet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemytimesstampinView Post
I am very new to su (4 months in), so the holiday mini was ok, but i agree the prices seem very high. I have gone to my local craft store for some other products. I received a stamp set of words. I had placed all but 4 labels and stamps on the blocks and relalized that I had 4 blocks that were rough and not squared off. bascially broken. Any suggestions?

I didn't want to return since I had already cut out all the rubber.

mary
Don't know exactly what you are talking about with a "stamp set of words", whether it was from SU! or not?? If it *is*, you should talk to your demo. Are you a demo? Your post is unclear. Your demo can just call them at 1-800-STAMP UP and explain the problem. They *can* replace just those blocks which are uneven and you shouldn't have to return the already cut pieces or anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 05:47 AM   #85  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you. I am a new demo. So I will call them directly. These are from SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 05:56 AM   #86  
Chat Box Chicks Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by palval77View Post
Ladies heres the bottom line......................

Some people (OP and subsequent posters) are not meaning to offend but are not eloquent with their choice of words and sentence structure.

Why is it okay for any of us to sling hash back because we feel violated at the words they choose or we feel appalled at how they really feel. Dont they have the right to be offended too?

We can feel violated but they can not.

***NOT EVERY FEELING HAS TO BE TOLD AT SCS*** and if you feel compelled to do so prepare for the tongue lashings.

I personally dont give a rats behind that you thought the Holiday Mini was a rip off and total joke. I LOVED LOVED LOVED everything in the Mini.

Its been said a million times...........If you dont like it ..... Then dont buy it. POINT BLANK

SU is not going belly up because a few hundred women dont like the trendy new style. They are going to follow the current trends at all costs to please the general population I'd love to know how many Wanted or Priceless Sets they've sold so far.
I couldn't have said this any better myself!!! Great job on this reply!

I love my SU, I also love Papertrey, Stampendous, etc etc etc. I buy what I like, if a company comes out with something I don't love....I don't buy. Its that simple!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 06:01 AM   #87  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbywomanView Post
I buy what I like
Ditto.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 06:09 AM   #88  
Kookie Creator

Default You're probably going to throw rotten fruit at me but . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by thompson_amView Post
****For those of you who have expressed concern over these matters, maybe you should contact SU directly, they have an awesome Customer Service there, and I am sure would gladly take your complaints and pass them on to the powers that be.****

I did contact them (when the fall/winter catalog first came out) with regards to the Canadian prices and I was actually quite disappointed in the response that I received. Each email was a bulk generated response that failed to answer my specific questions. I finally gave up trying to get an answer and adjusted my purchases accordingly.

Amber
Why is it that folks expect a personalized response to these kinds of e-mails? I keep reading this same type of thing in various threads that have been posted lately about whether SU should offer an option to purchase without blocks, whether SUs new prices are to high, etc. Although, you're receiving a "bulk generated response," I seriously doubt that your complaints are going unnoticed and unaddressed in some way, especially if you're commenting as loudly and profusely to SU as you're doing on SCS. If you're going to see any results, you're going to see them in the next mini catalog and in the the Spring/Summer catalog.
About a year back, my favorite restaurant changed the kind of french fries they served. They moved from shoe string to something fatter. One of the reasons we like going to the restaurant was because of their shoe string fries. I was pretty miffed. I came home and dashed off an e-mail and said that I wouldn't be eating there if they didn't change their fries back and explained that the fries were specifically one reason we liked eating there so much. Did I expect a personal apology for their switch in fries? Nope. Did I expect them to go back to the old fries because of me? Nope. They're a chain with restaurants in several states. It felt good giving them my opinion though. A few months later, I decided to give the restaurant a try again and lo and behold they'd started serving the shoe string fries again. I figured that enough people must have commented on it for it to affect the company's decision making.
Change takes time and when it comes down to it, SU has done and is going to do all kind of market research and consider many different ways to address your issues with the company, but I seriously doubt that anyone and everyone who has written them is going to be privy to the behind the scenes decision making and their conclusions on how to address things or even whether or not they're going to address them. I'm sure the SU customer service folks have more pressing customer service issues (like someone not receiving an order, or someone missing an order) to do anything more than send out a bulk generated response.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 06:27 AM   #89  
Cardstock Collector

If for every person who posts here, there are a thousand who feel the same, and I am sure there are, then it seems like when 40% of customers are irritated, someone needs to be listening and responding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 06:36 AM   #90  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronamuriView Post
If for every person who posts here, there are a thousand who feel the same, and I am sure there are, then it seems like when 40% of customers are irritated, someone needs to be listening and responding.
Exactly. And if they shop elsewhere...well do I need to say more?

With so much competition, they definitely need to listen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 06:37 AM   #91  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by palval77View Post
Ladies heres the bottom line......................

Some people (OP and subsequent posters) are not meaning to offend but are not eloquent with their choice of words and sentence structure.

Why is it okay for any of us to sling hash back because we feel violated at the words they choose or we feel appalled at how they really feel. Dont they have the right to be offended too?

We can feel violated but they can not.

***NOT EVERY FEELING HAS TO BE TOLD AT SCS*** and if you feel compelled to do so prepare for the tongue lashings.

I personally dont give a rats behind that you thought the Holiday Mini was a rip off and total joke. I LOVED LOVED LOVED everything in the Mini.

Its been said a million times...........If you dont like it ..... Then dont buy it. POINT BLANK

SU is not going belly up because a few hundred women dont like the trendy new style. They are going to follow the current trends at all costs to please the general population I'd love to know how many Wanted or Priceless Sets they've sold so far.

You are right about not liking it, don't buy it. But it can be frustrating maybe for some people seeing not too many sets that is their style and on top of that seeing a price increase on sets that they kinda like. Can't you see that it's actually people who want to buy SU! who are frustrated? :(

It's funny because this new trend of SU! is probably more to my style in a certain sense, but I haven't actually placed an order yet. But I think demos really need to see it from a buyer's point of view -- we do not get the discounts, we do not get free sets, we do not get incentive rewards (is that the word)? Take an honest look and really think about whether or not some people's frustrations are valid. If you had to pay the same amount as a regular customer, would you? I spend my money on stamps, but I work hard too. Just understand that I don't have unlimited supply of money to buy stamps. And I don't even have kids or a house yet!!

I see that some customers have already written to SU! -- I wonder if any demos have talked to the company themselves about what *some* customers are venting about. I understand that demos are salespeople so maybe it's not in their best interest short-term (long-term maybe).

Anyhow, I do see both points of view. I tend to do that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 06:37 AM   #92  
Die Cut Diva

The new mini didn't thrill me enough to buy anything. Cute sets, but some of them looked all too similar of some pretty recent past sets. No biggie for me, I don't have a problem finding ways to spend my stamping $$.

:-) Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 06:47 AM   #93  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

And how did you arrive at the figure of 1000 dissatisfied customers for every poster. Is this a scientific study or a random guess?

What I find truly odd...many of the negative comments on this thread are from posters with one or two posts. Are these all newcomers to SCS or is there one poster with a grudge switching ID's.

Makes you go hmmmm.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 06:49 AM   #94  
Stampin' Fool

I hear so much about the price of stamps going up. But have ya'll noticed the price of EVERYTHING is up? A dozen eggs cost over $2! Crazy. Why should I expect the price of groceries, gas, and pretty much everything else to go up and not the price of stamps? It's a part of,life prices go up. I like the mini, found die-cutting to be really handy and will continue to buy the sets I like as I can afford them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 06:52 AM   #95  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadgeRPhView Post
And how did you arrive at the figure of 1000 dissatisfied customers for every poster. Is this a scientific study or a random guess?

What I find truly odd...many of the negative comments on this thread are from posters with one or two posts. Are these all newcomers to SCS or is there one poster with a grudge switching ID's.

Makes you go hmmmm.....
Let me clarify....I think all suggestions/comments are necessary..both good and bad. This truly helps a company (not just SU) see what their customer base is thinking. As I previously posted, I am not overjoyed with the stamps in the new catty, although I do love the mini. I am also not thrilled with the price increases and have adjusted my purchases accordingly.

However, I see alot of "post and run" lately and this is not productive. More importantly, it makes things difficult for newcomers to SCS whose opinions we all want and need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 06:54 AM   #96  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'll start by saying I'm a SU! Demo (Hobby only at this point) ... I'm barely hanging on because I DO spend my money in other places as well as opposed to all SU!. There is just so much out there that catches my eye and I love it! That said I just wanted to add my $.02 worth to all the comments I have read:

I wasn't too thrilled with the Mini Catalog and prolly won't be buying anything from it but I have to say ... pre-cut stamps ARE a benefit to some people and something some people DO pay for already! I know a TON of demonstrators that will cut and mount stamp sets for a certain fee. Also wanted to add ... SU! may be just testing the water with this Mini to see if people DO want die cut stamps. As someone else said before ... let your $$ do the talking - I feel quite certain SU! will listen and adjust!

As to the price of SU! sets ... die cut or not ... I really do NOT think they are "overpriced". When I look at the price of a Bella or a tiny little Amuse (I LOVE Amuse by the way) and they cost $7+ I have a hard time knocking SU! for selling 6 large stamps for $20.95 since that equates to only $3.50/stamp! Go ahead and add shipping and tax... still in line with what other companies charge per stamp. Maybe you don't like buying sets ... well then clearly SU! is NOT the vendor for you. SU! sells stamps in sets so that all the coordinating is done for you - which is great for some folks, not so much for others.

I know one thing is true for me ... no matter where I buy my stamps (SU!, TAC, AMuse, PaperTrey, etc...) I will ALWAYS buy my cardstock and inks from SU! ... I am color challenged and I LOVE how everything coordinates.

I believe SU! has a lot to offer. I don't think their intention is to "rip off" their customers... I truly don't believe that.

Lastly, I HAVE to say this ... if this thread was titled "Bellas - what a rip off and a joke"... the OP would have been ripped to shreds (I've seen it happen). I'll never understand why it's OK to say things like this about SU! but with every other company it's off limits. I think it's always good to express opinions and insights but I also think there are better ways to go about doing so. Although this isn't "hurtful" to me, it IS hurtful to demos who are out there busting their butts to earn a living with SU! ... I was happy to see the contents of this thread aren't nearly as inflammatory as the title of the thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 06:58 AM   #97  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Makes you go hmmmm.....
I've wondered the same thing.

And I am honestly puzzled by the whole thread and the many others like it, whether they be aimed at SU, Bella, TAC whomever.
As has been said a gizillion times (now a gizillion and one times) if you don't like the product, just don't buy it! Goodness knows (as has also been state numerous times) there are many, many, many wonderful companies to choose from so I'm guessing somewhere, someplace you will find some stamps you as an individual want.
If, in your perception, SU isn't listening to their customers/their demonstrators or to you as an individual and you stop buying from them, how are you hurt?
If SU is blithely going along with no thought to the bottom line (really can't believe that), no interest in what their competitors are doing (nope, can't believe that either) existing in a SU bubble somewhere in the middle of Utah and eventually everyone stops buying their products and the company goes belly up, how does that hurt you as the customer who didn't want to buy the product in the first place?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 07:05 AM   #98  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just curious...but does anyone know....what are the sales numbers for SU? Are sales up, down, or flat? Has this price increase affected sales nationally?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 07:09 AM   #99  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by DorisView Post
Just curious...but does anyone know....what are the sales numbers for SU? Are sales up, down, or flat? Has this price increase affected sales nationally?
I believe they mentioned at convention that sales were up but that would have been for the time period before the new catty.

I will say my sales are up from this period last year. I like the doodles but I'm sort of over them now but my customers are still loving them. We are just getting our minis now so I don't have feedback on that yet but the big catty got a good response, especially the new papers and the updated fonts in the sentiments. The whole boho west line was very popular also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 07:19 AM   #100  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Makes you go hmmmm.....
Okay, I said hmmm, and went back and looked at those posts. I only saw 2 of the negative comments from those with under 10 posts and there were also a couple of positive comments from some new SCSers.

I don't know about anybody with a grudge. I myself have always been a fan of SU, I still am. I just don't see how talking about what we feel are negative aspects of the company is not worthly of a polite discussion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 07:26 AM   #101  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I don't know the sales figures and since they are a private company they probably aren't out anywhere - but SU did add about 5000 new demos in a three month time period this year in the US alone (Jan - Mar) - pretty darn good if you ask me...

I am sure their sales are doing just fine...believe me they are a HUGE company that employ a lot of workers they would not do something that would jeporadize thier business and thier employee's.

Personally my customers are still spending the same amount of money as they did before...but then again when you have been consistantly spending $30-40 a month on crafting supplies is another $2-3 really going to break you...I highly doubt anyone here is standing there with $30 saying "pay the gas bill or buy this stamp set"

As for the style of stamp sets that they currently offer - they are not going to appeal to everyone - BUT SU did do their homework...they spent a lot of time researching the trends in the general population and they got it pretty much DEAD ON...

The In-Colors are exactly what you see out there now as far as the hot colors...heck most of the Target Dorm stuff were in colors of Blue Bayou, River Rock and Pomegranate...

Boho stuff is EVERYWHERE cause that is the trend right now in fashion...not something I personally like but I know of a lot of people who do

Doodles and swirls - all over the place...

Polka dots are also everywhere...hence why there are a bunch of dot things.

Some people who may have not liked SU style over the past few years may love the style now and maybe buying it up...the flipside is also true - maybe the styles represented aren't what some long-time buyers of SU personally like...afterall my personal taste has changed over the past 7 years I have been a scrapper and a stamper - things I used 2 years ago I wouldn't think of using now - who knows in 2 years I could want to stamp some horses...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 07:36 AM   #102  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Do you have a source for these numbers? Can you a link to the study? I really am interested in seeing these numbers (wondering if I really should be concerned) and since I am a scientist by training and previous occupation I tend to like to see and read results from reputable sources.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 07:40 AM   #103  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJStamperView Post
I'll start by saying I'm a SU! Demo (Hobby only at this point) ... I'm barely hanging on because I DO spend my money in other places as well as opposed to all SU!. There is just so much out there that catches my eye and I love it! That said I just wanted to add my $.02 worth to all the comments I have read:

I wasn't too thrilled with the Mini Catalog and prolly won't be buying anything from it but I have to say ... pre-cut stamps ARE a benefit to some people and something some people DO pay for already! I know a TON of demonstrators that will cut and mount stamp sets for a certain fee. Also wanted to add ... SU! may be just testing the water with this Mini to see if people DO want die cut stamps. As someone else said before ... let your $$ do the talking - I feel quite certain SU! will listen and adjust!

As to the price of SU! sets ... die cut or not ... I really do NOT think they are "overpriced". When I look at the price of a Bella or a tiny little Amuse (I LOVE Amuse by the way) and they cost $7+ I have a hard time knocking SU! for selling 6 large stamps for $20.95 since that equates to only $3.50/stamp! Go ahead and add shipping and tax... still in line with what other companies charge per stamp. Maybe you don't like buying sets ... well then clearly SU! is NOT the vendor for you. SU! sells stamps in sets so that all the coordinating is done for you - which is great for some folks, not so much for others.

I know one thing is true for me ... no matter where I buy my stamps (SU!, TAC, AMuse, PaperTrey, etc...) I will ALWAYS buy my cardstock and inks from SU! ... I am color challenged and I LOVE how everything coordinates.

I believe SU! has a lot to offer. I don't think their intention is to "rip off" their customers... I truly don't believe that.

Lastly, I HAVE to say this ... if this thread was titled "Bellas - what a rip off and a joke"... the OP would have been ripped to shreds (I've seen it happen). I'll never understand why it's OK to say things like this about SU! but with every other company it's off limits. I think it's always good to express opinions and insights but I also think there are better ways to go about doing so. Although this isn't "hurtful" to me, it IS hurtful to demos who are out there busting their butts to earn a living with SU! ... I was happy to see the contents of this thread aren't nearly as inflammatory as the title of the thread.
Beautifully said!!! You echoed exactly what's been in my head the last couple days of reading this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 07:41 AM   #104  
Glitter Guru

I'll pay for quality any day of the week. I love me some good wood mounted rubber stamps! The die cut rubber is a really nice bonus too. Go Stampin' Up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 07:44 AM   #105  
Kookie Creator

If I liked any of the stamp sets I would pay the price for them. But none of the sets excite me at all. I guess that just means I'll save money because I won't be buying much. Yes, their prices are going up, but have you priced individual wood mounted stamps lately? You can pay $10 for one stamp.

The new catalog and the mini haven't excited me at all. I find I buy more accessories and tools than I do stamp sets lately.

Kerry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 07:48 AM   #106  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenmouer
I don't know the sales figures and since they are a private company they probably aren't out anywhere - but SU did add about 5000 new demos in a three month time period this year in the US alone (Jan - Mar) - pretty darn good if you ask me....
...but keep in mind too, there are demos that are becoming inactive as well....

...I am just curious about overall sales, especially since the new catalog came out. Did the price increase impact sales numbers? Did the design changes help or hurt them? Has SU maintained their market share?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 07:48 AM   #107  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkessler73View Post
Don't save me time, save me money at the most expensive time of the year.

Danyelle

Perfectly said. Hasn't the fact that the customer cut their own stamps out always been touted as a reason why they can keep their costs low?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 07:56 AM   #108  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomof4View Post
Okay, I said hmmm, and went back and looked at those posts. I only saw 2 of the negative comments from those with under 10 posts and there were also a couple of positive comments from some new SCSers.

I don't know about anybody with a grudge. I myself have always been a fan of SU, I still am. I just don't see how talking about what we feel are negative aspects of the company is not worthly of a polite discussion.
It's absolutely worthy of polite discussion.

What is not worhty is saying that every negative post represents 1000 other unsatisfied customers with NO facts to back it up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 07:56 AM   #109  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

The new catalog and the mini haven't excited me at all. I find I buy more accessories and tools than I do stamp sets lately.
I think there are many out there that feel exactly as you do, and this is why this thread was started in the first place. I don't think the intent was to put down SU...because we all love the company, their product, their service, and their wonderful demos!

I just think many used to turn to SU to purchase their stamps, and are disappointed to find that their product, and value for the price, is not what it used to be. People just wanted to know if they were the only one who thought that way....obviously, they are not alone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 08:00 AM   #110  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, if you look at the poll results you'll see that many more folks think the mini rocks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 08:02 AM   #111  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

. I don't think the intent was to put down SU...

Hmm...I think I'd be more inclined to believe this IF the title wasn't *a rip off and a joke*. Just my opinion for whatever that's worth. ;)

We shouldn't have expectations of others that we, ourselves, could not fulfill.

my blog: hownowbrownkow
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 08:06 AM   #112  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

It's absolutely worthy of polite discussion.

What is not worhty is saying that every negative post represents 1000 other unsatisfied customers with NO facts to back it up.
I really just took that as being that one person's opinion, not a statement of fact.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 08:06 AM   #113  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by its_kristyView Post
Perfectly said. Hasn't the fact that the customer cut their own stamps out always been touted as a reason why they can keep their costs low?
Can we win? :mrgreen:

I mean I really want to know. Because I've read similar threads about how people hate to cut their stamps and why does SU! make them. Then you read threads saying, "Dammit, I like cutting my own and I like saving the money from having them cut for me!"

No matter what a company does, there will be a certain segment of the buying population that will not like whatever it is they did. So I guess I answered my own question, "NO, because it's not about winning, it's about providing products that will appeal to the greatest number of people in the target population." Not EVERY person in the target population...naturally, there will be some people who will be displeased no matter what.

Personally, I love the die cut stamps...had to trim a couple, it's true, but most got slapped down and were ready to use immediately. I regret that prices are higher, but I also regret that gas prices, home heating, water, and insurance costs are also going up. I am glad to buy from a company, though, that still makes most of its products in the USA. I'm tired of sending so much of my cash to China. If that means I have to pay more for a stamp, then I guess that's what I'll have to do. At least I don't have to worry about lead paint on my stamps or toxic ingredients in my toothpaste. I can hold onto the wood of my stamps knowing that people in the US are employed to harvest the wood in a sustainable way. That makes me feel good.

Since stamping is a luxury item anyway, I can choose to buy fewer stamps at higher prices and be a bit more creative with them to get my money's worth or buy more stamps at lower prices that I may use once and never again. I guess it's all how you look at it. ;)

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 08:08 AM   #114  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I think there are many out there that feel exactly as you do, and this is why this thread was started in the first place. I don't think the intent was to put down SU...because we all love the company, their product, their service, and their wonderful demos!

I just think many used to turn to SU to purchase their stamps, and are disappointed to find that their product, and value for the price, is not what it used to be. People just wanted to know if they were the only one who thought that way....obviously, they are not alone.
Doris,

I agree that the intent of the OP of this thread was not bash SU. Quite frankly, I respect her posts, especially in CE, as they are well though out. However, some folks seized on the opportunity to do just that. Negative criticism is not a bad thing. As the poster above stated "it is worthy of polite discussion." I couldn't agree more.

What I find a bit disconcerting is that there have been threads in the past that have made comments about TAC, CTHM, AMuse,etc.etc. etc. and those posters have been severely chastised and how dare they say anything negative about TAC, CHTM, etc. etc. etc. And those posts did not have a title anywhere near as inflammatory as this one.

There are products for all of us. I for one and grateful for the choice and competition. However, we need to keep to polite discussion, After all, the man himself, Daven, has a spouse who is an SU demo. Out of courtesy to those wonderful Noltas the conversation should be kept to "polite discussion'>

Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 08:10 AM   #115  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post
Can we win? :mrgreen:
I agree with you Jan....I have posted this before....

ROCK -- STAMPIN UP -- HARD PLACE

No matter what SU (or any other company, for that matter) does they CANNOT please EVERYONE.

view my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 08:13 AM   #116  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Hmmm, just went to the SU! web site because although I got my holiday mini, I don't remember what is in it (that alone should be a clue that nothing really hit me). However, before I actually do the poll I wanted to review it again. Am I just looking in the wrong place, or is the mini not posted on-line anywhere?

In the past, I know that I have wanted almost every set in the mini's but the past, oh probably 3 or 4 mini's, I haven't found more than 1 or 2. Maybe that's because I own more sets and am just being more picky or maybe it's just my taste/opinion doesn't match with what is being offered, or a combination of both. I certainly understand that not everything will appeal to everyone but SU! should be constantly evaluating the response to their products (and if they're smart they'll have someone from marketing monitoring these forums). If they see their sales volume go down and their overstock inventory on certain sets go up, they should realize that maybe they're heading down the wrong road. One thing is certain, if they skimp on quality they'll pay for it in the end. People will get disgusted and go elsewhere if they're paying top dollar and get sub-par product.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 08:26 AM   #117  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by BibbyView Post
Well I was surprised to read all this. And I applaud everyone for being honest and posting their opinions. I am new to this website, but have been "SU" for a few years. I love their stamps and all your ideas. I lost my rep a few months ago and am looking for one in the Ebensburg, PA area. Know of anyone? My kids are grown now and moved out so I would love to try a swap or get-together for stampin. I did have a few favorites in the new catty, pick a petal, french flair, and priceless...and I didn't honestly notice the price increase ......haven't had a chance to see the mini, but I would love to...is it online? Also, I do have another company that I buy from online, single stamps, not too pricey, but I wasn't sure if I could post it...can someone let me know....I'd love to share it with everyone.

I don't know where Edinsburg is, but I am from Robesonia, PA (Berks County) and if you are close enough I would love to get together!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 08:31 AM   #118  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleflowersView Post
Maybe that's because I own more sets and am just being more picky or maybe it's just my taste/opinion doesn't match with what is being offered, or a combination of both.
I think this is really important!

When we first start, we all need certain things: cardstock, ink, sentiment stamps, birthday images, flowers (ok, I never stop needing these!), little kid images, masculine images, and whatever else tickles you.

Then we settle in a little bit. We know how to mask. We know how to heat emboss. We know how to use background stamps or cool background techniques. We're in a different phase! We have--dare I say it?--"enough" stamps to do mainly what we want to do!

We're now looking for *specific* images or styles. Our tastes have refined and narrowed. We know what "our style" is. That's a whole different market than the beginning stamper.

That's when we may begin to turn to other companies to meet specific needs. SU is probably never going to have a big enough selection of "funny" stamps for some tastes, because that's not what beginning stampers are looking for in large numbers. So we have Hambo and VLV and . . . . SU will never have enough of the Amuse/Bella style to suit the tastes of some.

SU is a large company that generally has something for most tastes. It's not so much that SU has changed its marketing strategy, as that we as stampers may have changed what we are in the market for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 08:36 AM   #119  
Insane Embellisher

Default so what are good alternatives?

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrotheadView Post
Now THAT'S FUNNY!!!!!

I haven't seen it yet( I stopped being a demo last Oct)...but nothing in the new cattie was a must for me...so I feel sure after reading this it will be the same for the mimi,too.There are just sooo many other really good stamp companies out there getting my money!!

ok....help me! what other companies have high quality product for better prices? is that ok to ask on this site?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2007, 08:37 AM   #120  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJStamperView Post

Lastly, I HAVE to say this ... if this thread was titled "Bellas - what a rip off and a joke"... the OP would have been ripped to shreds (I've seen it happen). I'll never understand why it's OK to say things like this about SU! but with every other company it's off limits. I think it's always good to express opinions and insights but I also think there are better ways to go about doing so.
Exactly! Sweet nibblets - a little perspective here!

The "A*Muse Lovers" thread was up to over 5 pages with people falling all over themselves about A*Muse stamps. I have 5 TINY (and I mean 2-4 words) stamps that are $6.00 EACH = $30 plus tax or shipping. Compared to $33.95 for Star-Studded Seasons - 8 stamps with much longer sayings and an image. I also have 5 VERY small A*Muse image stamps that came to $40 total - averaging $8 each. Compare that to "Tags on Board" - 6 images for $17.95 or "Merry & Bright" - 4 "A*Muse-size" images for $14.95 ($3.74 EACH)

And Bellas (and yes, I have a whole sorority of them :rolleyes: ) These little chicks run $6 or more dollars each and you don't even get foam, a wood block or an indexing sticker.

No, SU is not for everyone, but it is hardly a "RIP-OFF" compared to many other popular companies.
Reply With Quote Likes