Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-18-2007, 08:07 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Holding Stamp Classes

I'm a past demo, have NO desire to be one again. That said, I did have a party so some co-workers could reap Sellabration benefits. I really want them to use the goods they've purchased. I love to teach stamping, but again, I must say, I have NO desire to sell the stuff. I'm thinking of holding stamp classes one Saturday a month in my home. They would only need to bring their adhesive. I would use all my supplies. I'm thinking of charging $15 for 5 cards. I would prep everything, so they would just need to stamp. Timewise, I'm thinking 2 hours. I want to give them some ideas to use with their purchases. I would ask for payment up front to reserve their space and would have no more than 6 (that's how many my table seats). Then if they wanted to place an order, they could do that, and someone could be the hostess. What's your opinion? And again, I do not desire to be a demo, I work full time, go to school at night and will begin teaching computer classes for twelve weeks, in the evening, so I barely have time to teach a stamping class, but I figure it's a good way for me to stamp too.
Cher
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it sounds like fun. although when i got to a stamp camp i make about 10 cards for $15. i guess it would depend on what you are making
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2007, 09:20 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this is a cool idea. I am in an informal stamping club, where a few of us that started stamping at the same time get together and stamp. One lady is a demonstrator, but it's nto about selling...more about sharing our expertise. Each month, we each take a turn at developing the theme of the club. We are also planning on doing card swaps of the the same sets that we each have (ie each of us use one set and design cards to bring to the swap).

Good luck with your workshop...you sound like you're a busy lady.

Shawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2007, 09:23 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Here in canada..our demo..charges 10.00 for 4 cards..we just need to bring siccsors, it's for 2 hours..and she asks that a class be no more than 6 people..i think your idea is fair enough..loves Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2007, 09:37 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I go to a monthly workshop that is $10 for 5 projects with the fee reduced to $5 if you purchase $25 or more in product. I have been to another demo's monthly workshops and she charges $10 for 4. Those prices are with all of us using the demo's adhesive and supplies.

Q

Don't get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and it just makes you walk funny. ~Kathryn Carpenter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2007, 09:40 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Oh, I forgot to add that I am also part of a monthly card club where each member designs a card and brings enough supplies (already cut) for each member to make that card. There is no fee and there are 6 of us. This is a lot of fun and gives us all an excuse to get together, chat and stamp!

Q

Don't get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and it just makes you walk funny. ~Kathryn Carpenter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2007, 11:07 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thumbs up

WOW- one busy woman! you sound like you have alot on your plate!

you go girl!

my demo charges $3 and we usually do at least 3 cards.

sometimes there will be an extra card for a theme... like one month we made cards for the soldiers and one month we made cards for our county home residents... stuff like that.

you don't have to pay the $3 if you order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

sounds like fun! too bad you are so far from me - I'd love to attend a class!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

The price sounds a little high, my demo charges $15 and we make 12 cards (4 each of 3 designs).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2007, 12:19 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sounds like fun, and your price sounds fair to me. After all you are supplying all the supplies and will not make any money off of sales. I would love to attend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Just poppin' in on the topic of PRICING.

Lots of these prices look LOW to me... but here is why...

Demos can charge less; some just charge what it takes to cover their costs. This is because they are hoping you will place an order for STAMPS, or become part of their team. The price also depends on WHERE you live and WHAT you are offering. Demos with LARGE teams charge the LEAST... but this is because they CAN; and they are also providing a service for their downline. Many of the attending stampers are demos or the customers of the downline. Successful demos aim to keep their customers STAMPING so they will stay involved in SU! The more customers stamp; the more they will love it and the more they will purchase!

I do a stamp a stack and charge $20 for 10 VERY SIMPLE cards. The class always fills.

I do a STAMP CAMP, have 5-6 more involved projects and charge $20.

But remember, I am a demo, I live in NW burbs of Chicago (so I can charge more), and I have a dedicated group of customers who keep coming back to my classes because they see the value in them.

Now if you are not selling product then IMHO you can charge MORE. Don't sell yourself SHORT!

If the class was worth it; the cards made were top notch and I left feeling like I'd learned something new, I would pay up to $25... this is what my LSS charges (put remember they too have product to sell!)

Have you considered teaching at a Local Stamp/scrap store?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2007, 05:55 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I became a Demo I used my own stuff and taught monthly classes to a group of women, it went really well and was in some ways easier because I didn't feel like I need to only use stuff from a specific company and I had 10 years worth of stamps and supplies to use Pricing can be difficult, you want to make it worth your while but not too high that people won't come. Check your local LSS and Michael's or whatever you have around and see what the going rate there is and try to make yours comparable.
Give it try once and see how it goes, it'll probably be alot of fun Good luck!

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2007, 03:48 PM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

it sounds fun!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2007, 04:05 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think it souns good! If you're not a demo then you're not making money off of it so you need to cover the cost of your supplies. $15 is not too bad, I don't think. And let's face it, if you are a bunch of friends as well as stampers, there will be a lot of talking involved so I think more cards than that would be optimistic. But I haven't been to a lot of workshops and stamp camps so I could be wrong. But it sounds more like a social and learning even than a sales even and I think what you suggested is absolutely appropriate.
Reply With Quote Likes