Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-01-2018, 07:37 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Hobby Lobby bargains.........

We don't have a local store yet so I drive 30 minutes to get to one. I went there yesterday and a bunch of their wood mounted stamps were on clearance for less than $2.00. The ones from the shelves........not the cheaper ones in bins or boxes like some stores sell. Kind of a sad commentary on the direction of our craft/love/hobby/addiction?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2018, 08:07 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 862 Likes on 513 Posts

They may have had the same stamps for a long time, and have sold a lot of them already, and now they aren't selling as good. Or maybe they are going to change out their inventory to different styles. Although, a lot of people are just getting the clear stamps now. Just a thought...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2018, 03:19 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Noticed the same thing at our location. Wood mount stamps seem to be the most heavily discounted but I was thankful to see the other styles were not. And they've restocked a lot of the other tools and supplies we commonly use.

I didn't buy any stamps but did purchase a couple of 12x12 decorative paper stacks (single sided). They were only $3.25 each and I was able to get patterns that will work great for envelopes!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2018, 04:04 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think they are unique in this- most craft stores/craft fairs I visit in the UK I see either very few wood mounted stamps, or those they do have are on sale. I think for the same reason many stampers are going over to clear/cling- they take up so much less space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2018, 04:11 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I went and checked out our local Hobby Lobby and same thing - heavily discounted wood stamps. I only bought three - two small Christmas stamps ($1.75 ea) and a large, gorgeous morning glory and hummingbird stamp ($3.00) that I'm now itching to watercolor - but there were a lot of great stamps! They even had a few House Mouse stamps and the Santa collage stamp everyone seems to love...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2018, 12:45 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Hobby Lobby employee told me they are removing only two aisles of crafts- One aisle of General and One aisle of Paper to make room for Seasonal. They are just getting rid of old inventory that is not selling well or has been in the store since Hobby Lobby was born. We are going to get lots of great things for our hobby. To be honest if I can stop tripping all over the seasonal decor in the middle aisle I will be happy. I am always so scared my clumsy self is going to break something. I knocked something over last night. It didn't break but my nerves sure did.

It makes me sad when I hear "It is sad where our hobby is going." It's not sad. It is exciting. It is changing. OMG! I LOVE THE CHANGES! I am so excited about all the new things on the market. Nobody be sad. Look at all the cool stuff we have now- thin dies, washi, & Oxides to name a few. I do laugh at the reboots- Sizzix Sidekick anyone? I am also excited about it too.

My store has hardly sold any wood stamps in years. I feel like me and three other ladies at HL are the only ones who buy wood stamps. Yes, I know the three ladies, lol. I love clear better. I was stamping last night and I had to stamp all my rubber stamps to see how they would look on my paper. My clear ones I could lay down on my paper and see if the look is what I wanted.

I will miss the wooden stamp aisle. I got so used to seeing those stamps it will be like not seeing an old friend any more. Yes, I do really feel like that.

I only bought one stamp. I bought a diamond stamp for a $1.00.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2018, 05:29 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Getting rid of old inventory at HL could possibly be a huge undertaking for them. I've walked thru shaking my head many times.

For example:One of the stores here had set of SugarLoaf inks for sale and it became a personal game to see when / if it would ever disappear because that company has not been in existence for probably 2+ decades. Finally quit seeing it on the shelf this past summer. I hope they just pulled it versus someone buying 30 dry ink pads.

FYI: I did try to tell them years ago that the company was no longer around and maybe they should ask someone to see if that set of inks should be clearanced out
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2018, 11:51 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow they did have LOTS on sale. I asked the lady checking me out if they were getting rid of the rubber stamps as I had noticed not ALL of them were marked down. She said they were doing a "reset". I also found quite a few dies marked down. Hopefully my pics of what I got will attach.
Attached Thumbnails
Hobby Lobby bargains.........-20180203_133923%5B457%5D.jpg   Hobby Lobby bargains.........-20180203_133933%5B459%5D.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I forgot to say that there were lots of variety....I was after animals for my granddaughters scrapbook..but there were seasonal, baby, wedding, birthday, get well, etc all marked down. It took me awhile to look over and decide which ones I wanted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I went to my Hobby Lobby today. Only bought 2 wood stamps as they were pretty much picked over. But I did notice that their heavy cardstock was 50% off. So I decided to buy one white and one off white to try out. 2 packs for the price of one. Not a bad deal, just hope I like the paper. I have heard good things here on SCS about HL heavy cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2018, 11:34 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

They had the Gemini on clearance this week for $45.00 - the full-sized one. Several ladies in a FB group I belong to were able to get one. One lady had them put one on hold for her; when she got there it had already been sold - to "a very irate customer", she was told. Turns out that very irate customer was the store manager.

At these same stores, most of the paper pads were on clearance at 75% off.

My store must not have known about any of this.

I would venture to say that they could remove the aisle of stickers and put better selling things in that area.

As long as they still sell the stamp storage sleeve refills, I'm good to go. (These are similar to the Tim Holtz ones that were discontinued. The new TH sleeves are a different size.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2018, 04:21 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the biggest advantages of this site is staying informed. I hadn't been to Hobby Lobby since Christmas. But, motivated by reading about the possible bargains that could be found, I went yesterday. I first made my way to the back of the store to the clearance section, but didn't find any paper goods there. As it turns out, the markdowns were to be found throughout each papercrafts aisle. I purchased stickers; dies; and stamps. I don't know how long these discounts have been available, but I still found lots of good stuff. Well worth making the trip to the store. Thanks for letting us know about these deals. Nanette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,856 Posts

I went to Hobby Lobby today. Xyron is heavily discounted. The little X machine is still selling, as that was not discounted or the refills. I have a large 900 model and bought a cartridge of the permanent sticker, for under $10. That will last for years as I barely use it, but had to get it while I could. Every Art Impression stamp set they had is on clearance, like those girlfriend stamps (I think they are called). I bought Hero Arts ink cubes and a clear set that went with them for very low dollars. I often order my stamps online, but still stop by HL when I need a creative fix. I noticed the Memento ink pads are on clearance for a very low price, like $1.50 a pad. I need to check and see which ones would be nice to have. I think my husband will be very broke, but I am happy.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

This Hobby Lobby clearance sale is very interesting. I have watched a few craft haul videos and visited two Hobby Lobby stores. Many of the exact same items viewed in craft hauls were discounted in the stores I visited. On the other hand some of the things I found were full price, yet some people purchased them at a huge discount in their location. Tim Holtz mini ink cubes were regular price in my stores and clearance priced in some other stores. Could it be that some stores had overstock or old stock? Do you think some discounted stuff is old inventory or will different stores carry different items? Do you think discounting is done a little bit at a time? When this clearance sale is finished what do you think will be replacing what is sold?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I haven't been to a Hobby Lobby in a long time. The last time I went, and it's more than an hour's drive for me, I wasn't impressed with their prices. Even their "clearance" items were only 2 or 3 dollars less than their regular prices. I'm glad so many of you were able to score good deals, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2018, 03:51 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never shopped at a physical Hobby Lobby (nearest has been a few states over until recently), but have ordered decor online. In December it was announced that we're going to have a HL opening up within walking distance from my home but there's no hint of when that will happen - I keep checking the website. Reading all these hauls, I'm worried there won't be a papercrafting section at all when it finally does open. I'm so jealous of those of you who got a gemini on the cheap!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2018, 01:19 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

According to a local HL store manager they are reducing the papercrafting section by about 2 aisles but she didn't say if that included the paper aisle. Our HL has 5 aisles dedicated to papercrafting. According to another HL worker who posts on another message board HL corporate sends all the stores the same clearance list and the stores have a deadline for when everything on the list has to be marked down. But I have noticed that some people taking pics of their hauls have TH mini distress inks that are marked down but our local HL has them full price. Not sure if local managers have some discretion on some markdowns. All of the HL were selling the Gemini for $45 but some stores in larger markets marked them down really early in the clearance but the stores local to me just marked them down last Monday. None of their other electronics (Cricuit, Silhouette) were reduced at all. Our HL is new to the area but apparently they have a clearance sale about this time each year, it is just the magnitude of this one is much larger than usual.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2018, 03:18 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Thanks very much for the information. I am surprised that they will be reducing the paper-crafting, because so often there are a lot of people in those aisles. I can understand wooden stamps being reduced. They appear to be slow sellers in comparison to cling stamps. It did seem to be a store-wide markdown in the stores where I shopped.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I think all the stores use the same price stickers, and the date they got the item on the shelf is in the upper right, so you can tell how old the ink is.
I see that on some of the yellow sale stickers she posted. "18" is January, 2018. So that's when they marked it down. These codes may have some zeros in them, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2018, 03:47 AM   #20  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped at Hobby Lobby yesterday while I was in the city. I bought a whole bunch of stamps. Many were ones I always wanted but would not pay the full price. They were marked down to $2.00 to $2.75 for the bigger ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2018, 04:24 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I went into one yesterday and the aisles in the papercracting area are very bare. Virtually no dies, inks or unmounted stamps were out; clearance, sale or full price. Felt more like they were eliminating that section, not reducing, maybe they will restock after a rearrangement of aisles (?).... I hope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2018, 04:57 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

I hope they replace and restock with new things, too.
Reply With Quote Likes