Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-27-2005, 04:42 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby demo...should I

Just started stamping with SU. I love it! I am hooked! I frequent this site a lot and saw some of you are 'Hobby Demostrators" I have been thinking of doing the same for the discount. Do you get to pick what you want in your kit? What comes in the kit? I looked in the catty but it's vague. I am hesitant b/c I already sell MK and TW. But there are some many things I want... it's never ending!

Thanks for your help!

Stacey
I am addicted to stamping
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 04:54 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

You won't be disappointed if you sign up to be a demo. I LOVE it! I try to do something once a month in my home to supplement my habit, I mean my love for stamping. As far the the starter kit goes, the only things you can't change are the stampin' around handle, stampin' pastels (which I LOVE), stamping sponges, large cello bags, snail adhesive, craft & rubber scissors, stampin' scrub and stampin' mist, versamark pad and classic black pad. YOu can choose 5 stamps sets (prices vary) and one wheel, 5 addition ink pads, 2 pkg of assorted cs and one pkg of US CS. You also don't get a choice in the business supplies. Hope this helps! Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 04:55 PM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

I'm not a demo or anything but I do know that you get to pick certain aspects of your kit (colour of stamp pads, what sets you want within certain limits, etc). I would like to become a demo but am hesitating because I already have a lot of what is in the kit. However, I could always use more!!!! Ha ha! It would be nice if they just gave you a dollar figure to play with for picking tools/accessories & stamp sets but they don't. There is a little leeway as far as choice but not as much as I would like.

Talk to Stampin' Up directly to see what the different options are. If I was unable to access my demo's stuff on a regular basis I would be signing up for sure but since I can use all her stuff whenever I want (she's also a very good friend of mine!) I am holding off for now. But maybe not for long!

Good luck with your decision making!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 04:57 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

YES!!! SIGN UP! You won't regret it. Call your demo right now and ask to sign up! It's a great opportunity.

The demo kit is $199 and you can add the memories kit for $50. Most of the kit is standard but the sets and inks are up to you (as long as you stay with the same prices as the standard contents) The kit is a $355 value + you get a $19.95 set, Sincere Salutations.

Here's what comes in the starter kit -
http://www.lindseysullivan.stampinup...tarterKit.aspx

It doesn't matter how many things you do. I do pampered chef too - just for the discount. You don't have to actively sell or anything. Don't think of it so much as being a demonstrator as simply saving a ton of money. But you'll love it so much, I bet you'll be a full demo some day As long as you make your quarterly minimums, you're active. And it's only $300 a quarter! - That's only $80 a month after your 20% discount! That's pretty easy for most of us hobbyists to do. And if you're a little short, do a catalog show or start a stamp addicts' club.

You have the whole first quarter you sign up to get into the stamping demo thing. No minimum sales requirement. You don't have to meet a quota until your 6th month! If you don't like being a hobby demo, stop. no big deal. There's no commitment or anything. Just getting the starter kit at that great discount, 30% discount on your first order, and 20% off for at least 5 months is a pretty good reason to join though, right?

ust started stamping with SU. I love it! I am hooked! I frequent this site a lot and saw some of you are 'Hobby Demostrators" I have been thinking of doing the same for the discount. Do you get to pick what you want in your kit? What comes in the kit? I looked in the catty but it's vague. I am hesitant b/c I already sell MK and TW. But there are some many things I want... it's never ending!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:04 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

That's one thing I was wondering if I would be duplicating anything that I already have. It looks like the only thing would be the stampin pastels. I don't have any wheels yet. That's great that you can pick your own stamp sets and stamp pads.

I haven't talked to my demo yet, I needed a thousand others to talk me into it! HA Ha :lol:

Stacey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:10 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Default Hobby demo...should I

yes! I became a hobby demo in aug. I was able to maintain my min. but you would not believe how many people may be/ or are interested in learning to stamp. It is worth a try!! Good luck! j.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:10 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Stacey, Have you considered just finding a demo who would swap discounts with you...like if they needed MK or TW, you give it to them at your price and if you need stamps they give it to you at their price?
That might help you both out... I know what MK is..Mary Kay right? What is TW? I am racking my brain to figure that out...
So maybe ask your current demo if she would like to do that... maybe she would? It would help you both with your sales quotas...maybe?

BUT if you think you can afford to just spend 300 a quarter you should soooo look into signing up because on top of all the other benefits of discount and free stamps...there are publications monthly and the demo side of the SU site is WOW!!! SUPER WOW!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:11 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

You might duplicate a couple of things, but if you're an active demo you'll love having multiples. I have a ton of SNAIL, 4 cutters, 3 stamp 'n scrubs, 2 handles and am considering getting more.

I used to be my demo's best customer. Finally, after 6 months, and $1500 in stamps, she made me sign up. Now I have almost everything out of their catalog except for the 2 stamp sets I don't care for. Now I'm my own best customer and the 20% from the stamps is going back into my pocket instead of hers.

If you can afford the starter kit, I'd go for it. The Sincere Salutations set is only available to demos who sign up by 31 March (and will be in the 05-06 catty). Plus, you'll be signing up during Spring into Action. You can earn the 05-06 hostess sets through your demo sales from March 1st through May 31st so the earlier you sign up, the more time you have to build your sales. This is the only time of year when you can get the hostess sets without hosting a show.

Good luck with your decision. It should be an easy one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:14 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

Go for it. You can't go wrong. The minimum every three months is only $300 retail. I am considered a hobby demo. I do have a stampers club monthly that helps me keep my minimum. Just 5 of my best customers (well, really my only ones that are regular). They are actually more like stamping friends instead of customers. My best friend, her mom, another good friend and two new friends I met because of stampin up. It's great. You won't regret it. If you get double of anything (like the pastels) you can trade them in the BST forum.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:14 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by babyfactory
The Sincere Salutations set is only available to demos who sign up by 31 March (and will be in the 05-06 catty). Plus, you'll be signing up during Spring into Action. You can earn the 05-06 hostess sets through your demo sales from March 1st through May 31st so the earlier you sign up, the more time you have to build your sales. This is the only time of year when you can get the hostess sets without hosting a show.

Good luck with your decision. It should be an easy one.
Oh and just to clarify, the Sincere Salutations will be available to customers for the month of March for half price!!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!! GO SU!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:16 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Yes Mk is Mary Kay and TW Tupperware.
We already trade out with each other but I NEED more! Ha
She doesn't order enough!!! Ha

What is the sincere salutations? is it word stamps?

Stacey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:18 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have one new recruit who just signed up for the discount and that is cool...of course her DH asks her, "So does this mean you HAVE to order something EVERY week?" LOL I about died when she said that to me!!! I just told her to tell him atleast now she gets a discount when she orders!!! LOL
I actually signed up a year and a half ago just to earn enough to get all the ink pads... then I had to have the markers...then there was just this and that...well here I am ( just promoted to supervisor last month yipee!!) and I love it! My Husband thinks it is wonderful that I find such joy and satisfaction in stamping, we have not bought a greeting card in over a year and I have only used my money I have made for stamps.. I have not had to touch the family budget for it in over a year!!! So really there is just tooo many good reasons not to sign!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:20 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

TW... TUPPERWARE!!! D'OH! :oops: Now I feel stupid!!! I should have figured that out!!! duh!!!!
And Sincere Salutaions is a new words set...it has eight stamps in it and will retail for 19.95 in the new catty...here is the link to the gallery for it...

Sincere Salutations by Michele_Krayem at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:21 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

it's a new greetings set that SU sent to all of their demos last winter. - They're a great company and treat us all very well

You can view images on E-Bay if you're dying to see what it looks like now. Or, I'm sure SU will post it on their main page on the 1st.

It's available for $9.98 during March as part of their March Forward promo. 5 current sets are also 1/2 off. But you can get it FREE if you sign up!

Have you called your demo yet?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:33 PM   #15  
Embossing Fanatic

I just sent my Demo forms overnight on Saturday to get them in by the end of Sellabration. Will I be able to get the March deals too or is it just for new signees? I cannot wait to get my demo number and kit. I cannot wait till the meeting in Atlanta on the 12th. I am so excited!!!! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:34 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

the Sincere Salutations set is for anyone who signs up before March 31st so you're good!

And you're signing up just in time for Spring into Action!

Best of luck to you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:35 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

The March deal is for customers and demos...six sets are half price...and since you signed in FEB if they can process your paperwork, you will get Sincere Salutations as well as your other Choice of any set in the catty FREE...if you did not specify one you will be sent Everday Flexible Phrases!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:36 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

That is another thing that I was wondering, the other benefits of being a demo like having access to new sets before anyone else.

That new set looks like something I need to have. Ha

No, I have not called my demo yet! Wouldn't she die to know that I was on the post talking about it!

Stacey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:40 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I am confused. If I sign up in Feb I get an extra set free besides the sincere salutation than waiting and signing up in March

Stacey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:41 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

It is nice being able to get the sets a whole month before anyone else does...

Plus you get a monthly magazine with set sampler ideas and other great tips. Access to our demo web site with thousands of examples - but less than on this site. Incentives like a cruise and Great Rewards - you get FREE products if you reach certain sales brackets during the quarter. What else is there - help me out guys!

I forgot about the Sell-A-Bration special - if you sign up during Feb, you can get any set in the catalog FREE! But with only 1 day left in the month, it's kind of pushing it...

She'll only die if you don't sign up
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:41 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you had ALREADY sent in your paper work there was a special to sign in JAN and FEB...but you have missed that deadline... but if you still sign in March you will still get the Sincere Salutations FREE!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:43 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

ok thanks for clarifying that!

stacey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:44 PM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

The Everyday Flexible Phrases is the one that I requested. I had been wanting that one. I hope they can get me in for February. I am too excited. Have I already said that???? Thanks for wishing me luck. I am looking forward to being part of the SU family and I love my Demonstrator that encouraged me to sign up. She is terriffic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:48 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wakenda
The Everyday Flexible Phrases is the one that I requested. I had been wanting that one. I hope they can get me in for February. I am too excited. Have I already said that???? Thanks for wishing me luck. I am looking forward to being part of the SU family and I love my Demonstrator that encouraged me to sign up. She is terriffic.
Just a quick side note...when mounting EFP...cut it a little wide and straight...if you cut too close it will rock and your words will not be giving a clear image!! CONGRATS AGAIN!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:50 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wakenda
Just a quick side note...when mounting EFP...cut it a little wide and straight...if you cut too close it will rock and your words will not be giving a clear image!! CONGRATS AGAIN!!!
I'm getting ready to get this set. What do you mean by a little wide and straight?

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:54 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for the suggestion on that set Keri.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:55 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just be sure you cut your line straight...and not too close...leave it at least the half inch that is recommended...otherwise it is so thin that it will rock adn you will not be happy with the words... and another little note...when stamping with it... don't press it too hard into your pad...then don't press it too hard into you CS... just hold it there for a second longer than normal and you will have the best results...take it from one who knows from experience!! LOL :oops: I have ruined many a card by pushing the stamp onto the paper too hard...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:56 PM   #28  
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 396 Likes on 239 Posts
Default hobby demo

Do it! I got hooked on stamping in October and have spent so much money! I just signed on as a demonstrator--should have done it three months ago and saved myself a lot of $$$$$$

Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2005, 05:58 PM   #29  
Crimping Master

Thanks for the tip.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 06:44 AM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

I am signing up to be a demo and thought I would do it in March...but now I'm wondering if I should wait until April... Any thought? How does the "minimum" thing work?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2005, 05:50 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

Every quarter (jan-mar, apr-jun, july-sept, oct-dec) you must have a minimum of $300 in sales. That can be 100 a month or whatever incraments you want. Your orders accumulate. And the 300 is retail. So your cost would be less.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 04:38 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Just to let everyone know! I did it! I signed up today! :P I can't wait to get my kit!!!
Thank you for helping me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 04:39 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

CONGRATS STACEY!!! Thanks for letting us know!! ALL THE BEST!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 04:56 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

Congratulations!! That is so exciting. Have fun.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 05:46 PM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

What finally made you jump on in? Just curious because I have started thinking about it too lately. Scared of that quota though...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 06:00 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdean32
What finally made you jump on in? Just curious because I have started thinking about it too lately. Scared of that quota though...
Tracey!!! The quota is not that bad!!! You should atleast try it! If it doesn't work, you really don't lose anything...you will atleast save for the first three months!! LOL You really should think about it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 06:10 PM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Hi Stacey,

I am SO excited you signed up to be a demonstrator, and even more excited that you are my downline!!! :lol: You are going to be an awesome demonstrator!

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2005, 06:38 PM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

Mary!!! Thank you!!!!

Tdean ---- I signed b/c I love it, I get a discount, I get to go to workshops and learn new stuff, and meet new friends who love what I love. Plus, you get so much in your kit and you can choose your own stamp sets.
I am not worried about the qoute. I really don't see it as a problem. And like others said you might as well try it. You have nothing to lose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 08:38 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Stampin Up Starter Kit

Hello! I am a new member from Los Angeles, California, and just signed up to become a Stampin Up Demonstrator. Right now I can say that I am "strictly" a hobby demo - I won't have time to do workshops and such because I have my hands full right now - I have 3 kids ages 12, 9 and 15 months plus a fulltime job. I look at this as an "outlet" and a way to spend some quality time with my pre-teen daughter.

Anyway, to answer your question about the stamp sets included in the kit, yes, you can choose as long as the price is equal or lesser than the price of the original stamp sets in the kit. Ask your future upline for the prices so you can start checking the catalog. I also chose the inkpad colors and the stampin wheel.

Even if I have to pay for the items just to keep "active", I really think it's well worth it. I plan to do scrapbooking and cards as holiday and/or birthday gifts to coworkers, and also I want to do the party favor boxes for my kids and nieces and nephews.

Hope this helps - email me if you want more details on the kit contents as I recently received them.

Happy Stampin!

Tina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2005, 11:14 PM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Hi Tina WELCOME to this forum

Keri said:
Quote:

I have one new recruit who just signed up for the discount and that is cool...of course her DH asks her, "So does this mean you HAVE to order something EVERY week?" LOL I about died when she said that to me!!! I just told her to tell him atleast now she gets a discount when she orders!!! LOL
& I must add the DH is very supportive :lol: He at first thought I 'needed' to buy a box of stamps every week cause I was ordering so much hahaha I almost told him yes just for fun.

The discounts for being a hobby demo are GREAT ~ You'll be very pleased with SU ! congrats
Reply With Quote Likes