Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-26-2008, 10:04 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, It's snap_scrap_stamp (ebay) here...

Hi, I'm Faith. I'm a little bit nervous about posting here, but would like to take the time to thank everyone for their compliments. I really appreciate them!

I would also like to answer any questions about anything....ebay, stamping, etc.

I know eBay can be very confusing, because I was totally lost when I started selling. My first buyer actually helped me with a lot of things. The vast majority of sellers on eBay are honest.

I think that bidding is almost addictive. I have been bidding a lot on retired SU sets lately, and if I don't write my maximum bid down in front of me (to stick to that price) I totally get caught up in the last minute and bid more than I planned. I "had to have" Dreams and Dragons, and probably paid too much.

I have no idea why cba... is not a registered user anymore. More than likely she just cancelled her account on her own. She has such a great and loyal customer base, she may have just decided not to sell through eBay anymore. I wish her the best.

Something funny happened...my husband finally asked to see one of my cards. (He doesn't get it either.) :-D

I started making cards because I don't like spending $.99 for one in the store. (I'm cheap, and I always have a coupon for everything!!) Yet, I spend so much on card making supplies and stamps. ...but I can justify every penny...almost. :mrgreen: I'm sure most of you can relate.

Here's something off topic, but it should make you smile:

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 04-29-2008 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: removed eBay user names & links
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 10:23 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Why would someone buy a flat Pepsi can? I'm confused. And for $36, no less. I guess I'd rather buy a cute new pair of shoes or a fun shirt rather than an empty soda can. Call me crazy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Faith...your cards are beautiful:p We are just so surprised that people place such high values to our crafts..I have no problem selling a cake at $4 per slice but shudder at the thought of shelling out even $15 on one myself. I think the same is true here with us..we know the worthiness of our cards, but rarely get paid the true value of our efforts...people who don't have the talent (or think they don't) will pay those who do. Is a cake worth $600 and more? not if you tally the actual costs of the products involved. But, if you cost in the design/time/talent/delivery etc...people will pay for that.

I'm glad you posted tonight..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 10:38 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL, that's what makes this world such a lovely place... we're not all alike!

Faith, darlin'...you are marvelous! Big hugs and congrats to you on your successes on Ebay. So tell me, if you would... however did you get the nerve to start? And do you have ways to advertise your auctions? You can answer in a pm if you'd prefer. Or not spill your secrets at all, lol...just bein' nosy here.

Stick around! You'll find that, on the whole, we're not a dangerous bunch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

i personally am envious of your skill *lol* okay, not envious, just in awe. if you ever want to take a vacation to turkey, feel free to stop by my house and we can craft away *lol*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 10:56 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Hello Faith ...

I'm so glad to see you post.
I went back to look at all your cards this eveing and am still in awe over how much work and detail you put into them. I can't imagine how much time it takes you to do all that cutting for the layers. They are all so lovely.

How much time to you spend on a card like the castle or the children with the wagon? Do the cards develope as you go along, or do you draw/sketch out your vision before cutting and stamping?
Last, did you take a class in water coloring? I'm so horrible at it but keep trying. I saved a couple of your close up pictures to my computer so I can refer to them when "trying" to water color.

Thanks for posting, and I cant wait to check back at your store and see what new art works you'll have up for sale.

PS - smashed Pepsi can for $36???? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 10:57 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Your cards are BEAUTIFUL! Kudos to you! I only wish I could sell my cards for that much. But maybe you have just given me the courage to try and do so. Thanks for your tips on the photography too.
Congrats again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2008, 10:58 PM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Faith,You have the most beautiful cards. I'm wondering how long it takes for you to make 1 card. What is the process. Color everything, cut everything out. Stitch all the pieces. etc. How many cards can you make in a day?

LaNA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 02:08 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Your cards are amazing! You deserve every penny you get and then some. That is a lot of work!

btw are you worried about the new feedback rules going into effect soon? I would think a lot of sellers would be worried (I don't sell much but I have stuff to list and I'm definitely worried).
what are the new feedback rules?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 03:09 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Faith, your cards are awesome! You put so much "extra" in each card and I think it is great that you are getting that much for your cards. I have never sold on e-bay but have thought about it since SU relaxed their rules. I do sell at craft fairs and sell tons of cards but not for what they are worth! Keep up the great work and I would love to see a tutorial from you on SCS!

I am a proud design team member for http://www.sparklensprinkle.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 03:46 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

How do you find these cards? I tried to find them, but I can't. Can someone post a link please?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 04:17 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Faith & welcome! My name's Charity.... and I'm sure you too have heard the whole trinity thing all of your life whenever someone hears your name, so I won't even go there! LOL

I love your work and hope you stick around. It's obvious that you have a wealth of stamping knowledge to share.

You really set the bar with your eBay auctions and I think it's great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 05:43 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by GetCardedView Post
Why would someone buy a flat Pepsi can? I'm confused. And for $36, no less. I guess I'd rather buy a cute new pair of shoes or a fun shirt rather than an empty soda can. Call me crazy.
I think this one is an attempt to get around ebay fees. Check this sentence:
"Anything that comes with the it is a gift from me to you." (grammar errors theirs, not mine)

I'll bet there's some other place that the seller is advertising this - on a blog maybe? And that there's something else that he/she is really selling that is the "gift" that will come with the Pepsi can. Totally against ebay rules.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 06:00 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by GetCardedView Post
OMG! But the story that explains why he posted it is funny!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 06:04 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

[QUOTE=snap_scrap_stamp;9647439]Hi, I'm Faith. I'm a little bit nervous about posting here, but would like to take the time to thank everyone for their compliments. I really appreciate them!

I would also like to answer any questions about anything....ebay, stamping, etc.

I know eBay can be very confusing, because I was totally lost when I started selling. My first buyer actually helped me with a lot of things. The vast majority of sellers on eBay are honest.

I think that bidding is almost addictive. I have been bidding a lot on retired SU sets lately, and if I don't write my maximum bid down in front of me (to stick to that price) I totally get caught up in the last minute and bid more than I planned. I "had to have" Dreams and Dragons, and probably paid too much.

I have no idea why cba... is not a registered user anymore. More than likely she just cancelled her account on her own. She has such a great and loyal customer base, she may have just decided not to sell through eBay anymore. I wish her the best.

Something funny happened...my husband finally asked to see one of my cards. (He doesn't get it either.) :-D

I started making cards because I don't like spending $.99 for one in the store. (I'm cheap, and I always have a coupon for everything!!) Yet, I spend so much on card making supplies and stamps. ...but I can justify every penny...almost. :mrgreen: I'm sure most of you can relate.

Here's something off topic, but it should make you smile:

<snip>
Faith... Congratulations on your success at selling cards. They are beautiful! I've recently sold a few cards on ebay, but I haven't been nearly as successful.

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 04-29-2008 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: removed eBay user names & links
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 06:19 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Default New ebay feedback guidellines

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisavengestaView Post
what are the new feedback rules?
I've done selling on ebay, not cards but craft magazines, misc items, etc, and have seen where the feedback, for buyers-has a rating system as far as item communication, prompt delivery etc; which is a good system to keep sellers on there toes. I haven't heard of any newer system coming up, yet

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 07:04 AM   #17  
Vee
Glitter Guru

Faith, When you wnat a retired SU! set, you should check here first! Post and ISO in the Buy, Sell,Trade forum. You can offer something you no longer as a trade, something from the SU! catalog, or cash etc. I have traded my old Longaburger baskets for stamps here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 07:09 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
So tell me, if you would... however did you get the nerve to start? And do you have ways to advertise your auctions?
I watched ebay for quite a few months and couldn't believe that cards sold for around $5. I kept thinking about selling some cards, but I got so nervous about it. Creating something is such a personal experience, and you kind of are putting a piece of yourself out there. That sounds weird, but it's how I think. Anyway, I finally thought it wasn't worth the stress to try to sell one, so I decided I would just be happier making cards for friends and family. About six months later, I was selling all of my Sizzix alphabets and couldn't believe that cards were selling for over $10. By that time SU had changed their Angel policy to allow sales on cards in retail stores and online. I can't remember how I worked the nerve up, I just went for it, I guess. My first card sold for $2.75 and didn't get a bid until the morning it ended. It was being "watched" by one person the night before, and I was so excited I jumped up and down. My husband thought I had lost my mind.

I don't advertise my auctions. I did feature a card once, a listing upgrade with eBay. And by mistake, (I didn't know the feature was still selected.) I featured a second card. By that time, I already had the same buyers I do now, so I'm not really sure if it helped or not. I know my traffic increased, but most traffic I get is from other card makers anyway. From what I've read, having a blog is a good way to get exposure. Anything that will get you found through a search engine. Having a website would be good, too. I just don't have time for that right now. If you want to spend the money, there are other ways to advertise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 07:16 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeeView Post
Faith, When you wnat a retired SU! set, you should check here first! Post and ISO in the Buy, Sell,Trade forum. You can offer something you no longer as a trade, something from the SU! catalog, or cash etc. I have traded my old Longaburger baskets for stamps here.
I do check, but I think it's against the rules since I sell on ebay. I read that somewhere...if I'm remembering that right. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have such a long wish list...and I started on eBay to get rid of stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 07:26 AM   #20  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by TTUMomView Post

How much time to you spend on a card like the castle or the children with the wagon? Do the cards develope as you go along, or do you draw/sketch out your vision before cutting and stamping?
Last, did you take a class in water coloring?
I don't know how much time it takes me because I do a little here and there. I have three little ones at home and only one in school just two days a week. So sometimes, well usually, I have someone pulling at my pant legs. I know each card takes me at least an hour. If I were to duplicate one it would be less than an hour, but I get bored with that.

I develope a card as I go.

I studied art in highschool, and my freshman year of college. I decided being an "artist" as a job may take the fun out of it, so I changed to the business college at a different university to study marketing. I have not taken a specific water coloring class. My classes were mostly 2-Dimensional Design and other commercial art classes. Anyother art majors out there?? I don't think I slept that year...and it wasn't because of partying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 07:30 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniehtView Post
Your cards are BEAUTIFUL! Kudos to you! I only wish I could sell my cards for that much. But maybe you have just given me the courage to try and do so. Thanks for your tips on the photography too.
Congrats again!

You have to go for it!! You have nothing to lose. It is depressing when one doesn't sell, so just be prepared for that. There's plenty of room on eBay for eveyone, and I think that more sellers attract more buyers because they know they can shop in one place for great handcrafted items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 07:34 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kluvsj711View Post
How do you find these cards? I tried to find them, but I can't. Can someone post a link please?
<snip>
After you click on a thumbnail, be sure to scroll down the listing page to see the wonderful close-ups.

[/FONT][/SIZE]

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 04-29-2008 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: removed ebay link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 07:40 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love your cards snap_scrap_stamp. I often like to layers my cards with dimensionals, I'm going to have to try a few more layers. Your cards are a work of art and I'm sure worth every penny. You Go Girl.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 07:40 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by catscrappinView Post
I'm wondering how long it takes for you to make 1 card. What is the process. Color everything, cut everything out. Stitch all the pieces. etc. How many cards can you make in a day?

LaNA
See other reply about time per card.

I don't really have a set process for each card. I guess I like to select my paper and that helps determine the colors for the image. But sometimes I start with the image and then find paper to match. It is really nice when I have my images all painted and then can cut them out when I'm outside (now that it's nice) playing with my kids. My goal is to always list 2 cards a day. That has not happened lately. Life had been really hectic, sick kids, etc. I also spent way to much time shopping eBay for stamp sets last week. And it takes time to answer my eBay messages. If I stayed off the computer, I could make 3 a day and then take the weekends off. That's my plan...we'll see if it ever happens.

We camp pretty much every weekend from late spring through the fall, so I'm thinking I will have sheets of my stamped images and then paint and cut while away from home. Wouldn't that be the least amount of supplies to take? I still need to figure that out. I think I would still schedule listings to post while I'm gone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
btw are you worried about the new feedback rules going into effect soon?
Are there new ones again?? I will have to check that out today.

I do the best I can do, and try not to worry about feedback. I do worry a little bit when someone spends so much, that then they will have buyers remorse and not be happy with a card. Or that the photos make the cards look better than they really are. I have to remind myself to not think negatively.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 07:51 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Faith your work is awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 07:56 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by nana jenkinsView Post
and I would love to see a tutorial from you on SCS!
How do you do that? What are you interested in?

I think everything I learned is from this website. I remember telling my SU demo that I would never cut an image out. I thought she was crazy. I started as an SU demo for the discount and to use stamping in scrapbooking. I wasn't going to get into making cards. :rolleyes: I have never been to a SU workshop or event. I used the "locate a demo" on SUs website and just had her help me get signed up and order the starter "kit". She let me borrow ink and stamps while I waited for my stuff to arrive. So, so nice of her!! I've been hooked ever since.

I'm still learning from all of you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 07:57 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

snap_scrap_stamp........Everyone seems to give such high praises to you for your hand-made cards. Where are they? I don't see a gallery for you. I'd like to see what everyone is raving about.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 08:02 AM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdjkssssView Post
I think this one is an attempt to get around ebay fees. Check this sentence:
"Anything that comes with the it is a gift from me to you." (grammar errors theirs, not mine)

I'll bet there's some other place that the seller is advertising this - on a blog maybe? And that there's something else that he/she is really selling that is the "gift" that will come with the Pepsi can. Totally against ebay rules.
It's not getting around eBay fees because he will be charged the fees on the amount that sells. He's not getting anymore money than what it goes for. Does that make sense?

I love it when people put in their listings...."comes from a smoke-free home and our pets know not to go by the eBay stuff."

It's fun to see people having fun with their listings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 08:09 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
snap_scrap_stamp........Everyone seems to give such high praises to you for your hand-made cards. Where are they? I don't see a gallery for you. I'd like to see what everyone is raving about.

Patti
I'm just on eBay, that's my gallery right now, I guess.

It's not letting me post a link since I haven't posted 3 times...which I have :confused: . I think someone else posted a link in this thread.

You can also search completed listings if you have a user account.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 08:12 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm with the others here - and want to congratulate you - your talent and love show on each and every card! I think you are making some buyers very happy!! Keep up the great work and welcome to posting on SCS!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 08:19 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
... however did you get the nerve to start?
I forgot to mention...
I did wedding invitations for my brother-in-law and new sister-in-law last summer. They style they wanted were like $15 a piece, so I made them for around $1 a piece. They weren't stamped, but I had so much encouragement from family friends after that to sell invitaions online. I just don't enjoy that as much as one-of-a-kind cards.

So I had lots of little encouraging "pushes" from friends and family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 08:25 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

My quick question for you - what do you use to paint with? And do you use the SU paintbrushes?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 08:52 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

First - what fantastic and inspiring work!

Second - you need a gallery because I would love to see your in home studio that inspires you so much and how you organise things with the little ones around.

Keep up the great work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 09:00 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Faith, I'm so glad you posted. Congratulations on havin the courage to put yourself out there and follow your dreams. Your cards are beautiful and inspirational - I've had "Dreams and Dragons" for a long time now and never really done anything with it, but your fabulous card has opened up new possibilities - many thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 09:09 AM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Default U R awesome!

Faith I am so inspired by your creations!!! They are works of art. I am just thrilled to see your cards. I love all the detail and I know lots of hardwork and love went into making them. You can't see me but I am giving you a standing ovation!!! I can't wait to see what else you've got. Do you have a blog?? You so ROCK!!!!

http://www.queentomas.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 09:23 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am so excited to see someone, anyone, making money at this hobby! Your work is fabulous and I applaud you for coming here and owning it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 09:47 AM   #38  
Glitter Queen

Faith

Thank you for showing us your creations. I am in awe of the skill and creativity and love for the craft which obviously shows in the cards you make.

If you dont mind, I would love to 'scraplift' one of your designs to see if I could create something as beautiful as one of your cards for my mums birthday. Although I think it might not turn out anthing like your LOL

Last edited by scrapdragon-UK; 04-27-2008 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: dyslexic keyboard
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 10:09 AM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Location: Under the Hackberry Tree, Deep In The Heart Of Texas
Default A big welcome from the heart of Texas!

Actually it doesn't matter where you go in Texas everyone here has a big heart. I wasn't born here, but I'm sure never leaving.

I have been watching your auctions for quite a while and wondered when someone would point them out here. As lovers of all things stamped I knew your cards would make a huge splash

My husband and I have come to the conclusion that your creations are to be considered art, not cards. The fact that you only make "one of a kind" cards adds to this collectible status.

It has been stated in other posts on the forum that your cards should be framed and mounted - I whole heartedly agree, however there are some people in my life whom I love enough to spend that much, or more, on a card to give to them because I know that they would cherish it.

I would like to know what you use to mount your layers. Some of your layers look tall enough to be using the SU! Dimensionals, but some of them look so delicate and I have yet to be able to accomplish this. Grrrgh!

I am so glad that you have joined our "little community", and I look forward to seeing your business blossom as well!
My Blog - AGreenEgg
"I learn, I tweak, Where's the darned back up disk?!!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2008, 10:17 AM   #40  
Compulsive Stamper

Very pretty cards!

But aren't these the same ones that were on cardsbyalice?

Lots of work went into these cards, that's obvious. I can't imagine the time it would take. They really are gorgeous! That said, I can't imagine spending that amount of $$ for a card.

No flames, JMHO.
Reply With Quote Likes