Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-01-2009, 06:17 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! What to make for $7?

So, my chiropractor asked for my help. I have given him handstamped items in the past. He liked my style and work so much that he wants me to make him some items this year to give out to other doctors and their staff. The kicker is that he doesn't want to spend more than $7 on each item and each item has to be able to be heavily divided. As in, he gives it to the office manager and they disperse the item amongst the office.

Some examples that he gave me was that one year they gave each office a big bucket of individually wrapped peppermints which cost $3.50 from CVS. Another year, he got a big bucket of individually wrapped Twizzlers, which costs around $7, also from CVS. Apparently, they shop at CVS quite often, LOL. ;)

So, he wants something that is ablle to be "passed out" and is under $7. I can't figure out how I can come up with something like that, make it look nice AND still make money for myself? :confused: Oh, yeah, and it needs to be simple because I'll need to make around 50 of said item. Yikes. :rolleyes:

Hopefully some of my SCS sisters can help me out! :mrgreen: Thanks in advance!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 06:20 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Sounds like a fun challenge! I'm tired after working all night, but will think on this and post later.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:21 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Thanks Angie!

Oh, and I should add that if anyone can come up with an idea for slightly more (like up to $10), I'm willing to hear it. I figure I'd just give him the price and say, that's the price, take it or leave it. Okay, so maybe I won't say it quite like that, but ya know what I mean! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 06:35 AM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

If you are getting $7 for each item, you could make mini cup cakes, they are very easy to make and you could make them in an afternoon. You could also put them in a favour box, you could buy them or make them yourself, if you have template it will make life eaiser, or i dont know which one, but sizzix or big shot can cut out the shapes for you (i believe) Then with al old bits of ribbon you can wrap it around them or stick a bow on top. If you fin cheap plastic clear bags you could put them in there are tie a ribbon.

Good luck

I hope this helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 07:05 AM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

How about making a fun or pretty jumbo tag that can be tied onto whatever bucket of candy he wants to give out this year?

If he spends $3.50 plus tax on the candy, that would leave him a budget of about $3 per tag/card.

If it were me, I'd design something that could be stuck onto the front of the container with stampin' dimensionals.

Then, you could give him two choices

1. You provide 50 tags @ $3 each, and he has someone in his office buy the candy and stick on the tags.

2. You pick up 50 buckets of candy, adhere the tags and deliver to *his* office, your fee per bucket being the cost (including tax) plus, say, $4.50.

Keep in mind, you may end up running all over town to find 50 buckets of candy. . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 07:56 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

My sister was just telling me that her and her kids made tablets by hand using those big clips to hold the paper together as the glue dries. It would be a great way to use leftover paper/cardstock.

Another idea is to make some stationery complete with envelopes. You wouldn't necessarily have to do cards, but writing paper or maybe a combo of each.

How about some round 2 its? Coasters are another idea. Instead of purchasing those cork things, you could laminate cardstock to make it waterproof or do something similar. You may be able to pick up some plain cups from the dollar store and stamp on them and include a coaster customized to the design of the cup and maybe a pack of hot chocolate or tea.

HTH!
Roberta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 09:55 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay, Do you mean that he gives the office manager one $3.50 bucket of peppermints to divide between the whole staff??? Or did everybody get their own bucket??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

You could use one of Papertrey's Timeless Templates and fill it with a bag of individually wrapped candies or packets of cocoa/tea. The template only costs $5 and you can make as many as you need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How about stamping some tile coasters with different stamps? Here is a great video:
http://stamptv.ning.com/video/tile-coasters
HTH! You can get the tiles from Home Depot or Lowe's, 9 in a box for under $6.00, and have 9 different gifts. Use the UNGLAZED TILES.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by mycatbillybobView Post
Okay, Do you mean that he gives the office manager one $3.50 bucket of peppermints to divide between the whole staff??? Or did everybody get their own bucket??
He gives the item to the office manager and the whole bucket is set out for the whole office to enjoy.

I know, it's cheap, but I have to work with what I'm given, I suppose! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCritterView Post
You could use one of Papertrey's Timeless Templates and fill it with a bag of individually wrapped candies or packets of cocoa/tea. The template only costs $5 and you can make as many as you need.
I thought of that too but having only purchased a couple templates, are there any that are big? The ones I have are fairly small and wouldn't hold much. I thought about the house template as that seems to be the largest but it also seems too involved to decorate and such for the low price that I'm going to be paid.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouInkItView Post
I thought of that too but having only purchased a couple templates, are there any that are big? The ones I have are fairly small and wouldn't hold much. I thought about the house template as that seems to be the largest but it also seems too involved to decorate and such for the low price that I'm going to be paid.
I don't know how large they really get. They all fit within the confines of an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of cardstock so they can't be huge. Maybe try taking a template to a copy shop and see if they could blow it up for you and then use the Martha Stewart 18" cardstocks or large art papers from an art supply store to create the boxes. Good luck. This is quite the challenge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 11:24 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCritterView Post
I don't know how large they really get. They all fit within the confines of an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of cardstock so they can't be huge. Maybe try taking a template to a copy shop and see if they could blow it up for you and then use the Martha Stewart 18" cardstocks or large art papers from an art supply store to create the boxes. Good luck. This is quite the challenge!
Great idea but you may get into stability issues being that large depending on the template.

I think you could look at the Christmas craft fair and see if there is anything there that you could do.

I think the cheapest item they tend to make is $.50 or a $1 and it sounds like you need items to average out in cost at a few pennies because of bulk issues for sharing in the office.

I will keep thinking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #14  
Crimping Master

Default office gift

How about a cute bucket( target etc.) wrap hershey nuggets in xmas paper and make a pretty tag for the bucket, tie ribbons all over the handle etc.
I can get a very large bag of nuggets at bj's for $9.00, you could make prob. at least 3 buckets from 1 bag, it will "just" be your time to make the labels..either stamped or pattern paper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

How about bag toppers? Here are some samples:
Bag toppers by candee porter at Splitcoaststampers
OR
2-5-7-10 Bags found here:
2-5-7-10 Box Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers
OR
this cute window treat box:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbVGm...layer_embedded

Last edited by craftymomto2; 12-01-2009 at 12:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Oh darn, just re-read your post and none of those will do, will they, you need something alot bigger don't you! Will keep looking, may find something...What a cheapsake he is!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Well, this isn't real fancy, but I think would work, could use a different type of jar too, here is a video:
http://www.happybirdscraftinghaven.c...expensive.html

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Cheapsake is right! And for what I pay for my what-seems-all-too-short sessions, I know he should have more to go around! LOL

Thanks for all the ideas Ladies, keep them coming! I want to give him 3-5 options.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

hmmm,
what about a big basket from the $1 store, like a wicker basket and tie a pretty holiday ribbon on it.... then punch red and green scalloped circles from scrap paper and cover lollipops. use the cheap lollies with the flat sides... they are sold in huge bags for a few bucks.
cut a piece of floral foam to fit the basket and poke the lolly sicks in. then add some sort of paper shredding to cover the foam.
the lollies will look like a basket of Christmas flowers. Total cost $1.08 (basket), $2 lollipops, $1 floral foam.... scrap paper that woulda been trash anyway 50cents, and the ribbon, 1 spool $1.08. IF you didn't have the punch, it will cost you about $13 extra, but the punch is a must-have LOL.
If you make it really pretty, charge the Cheapskate $10 LOL
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Honestly? Am I reading this right? He wants to pay you $7 for making gifts for 50 people?! Just $7?!! If I'm reading this right I would tell him that it's not possible. Unless you really want to do this guys a BIG favor, it is not worth your time. I am not trying to be the party pooper here, but jeez louise, $7!!!

Now, if it's $7 each item I can come up with some great ideas! ;)

Last edited by CAmomof2; 12-01-2009 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAmomof2View Post
Honestly? Am I reading this right? He wants to pay you $7 for making gifts for 50 people?! Just $7?!! If I'm reading this right I would tell him that it's not possible. Unless you really want to do this guys a BIG favor, it is not worth your time. I am not trying to be the party pooper here, but jeez louise, $7!!!
50 items not people... many, many more people apparently...

so 50 x $7 or $10 somewhere between $350 - $500 total spend. If the maker can crank them out for a cost of $5 she could make $100 to $250 for her work... but she will have to work for it.

I do like the lollipop idea and what an excellent way to use up scraps - and it would be great if you have a cricut and a Christmas slab of paper.:cool:

ETA - there are label in circles that you could personalize on your computer with any pretty font for flower centers if you go that root and they aren't that expensive.

Last edited by RiverIsis; 12-01-2009 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

OK, so 50 "sets" of items? I think I get it now.

The lollipop idea is great. Since it sounds like they'll be going to doctor's offices maybe you can put something on a tongue depressor? Maybe a decorated peppermint pattie on a tongue depressor? Or maybe decorated pens? People always need another pen, right? How many items need to be in each "set"?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Here's another idea that we did with used holiday cards, but you could use cardstock and then put your own designs on them:

Tree ornaments

Cut circles and decorate as desired. Fold the edges until you end up with a triangle in the center of each circle. To glue together, invert every other one so one triangle is right side up and the next is upside down. The top and bottom rows have less circles than the middle row so that you end up with a bulb like piece. The edges can be finished off with lace, ribbon or rick rack. Punch a hole in the top to put a piece of ribbon or fancy string thru. Tie. That's it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #24  
Inking Addict

I was thinking maybe decorating a dollar store large container to look like Santa's Sak and people just reach in and grab some candy. The lollis sound cute but to punch and stick on every lolli would make me nuttier than I already am. For 7.00 that's what he would get. Mind u, the Sak has to be awsome with white stuff around top. Hope to help. Nana Janet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

Maybe try the Oriental Trading Co. they sell alot of candy and other things in bulk

Last edited by ThatGirlThere; 12-01-2009 at 03:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #26  
Inking Addict

OMG - what a cheapskate! I'd be embarrassed to ask someone to put together a gift for a bunch of people and limit the cost to $7! I do like the lollipop idea, but that's very, very time consuming! If it were me, I'd buy some pretty Christmas tins ($1 at the Dollar Tree), line it with some pretty tissue paper and then buy or bake some cookies to put inside. I'm sure you can get cookies in bulk at Sam's or some other warehouse-type store. Besides, who doesn't love cookies - especially when you're trapped in an office all day. Good luck and let us know what you do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

I like the lollipop idea, also. Maybe you could stick them in styrofoam and make a "tree".

Also, don't forget those adorable junior mints covered with punched out scallops and stamped with appropriate images.

$7 does sound "cheap", but it sounds like he's sending it to 50 other offices in the area, instead of a plant or popcorn tin, so I bet everyone really appreciates it.
Have faith in God . . . . Mark 11:22

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

Oh..I shouldn't have said that! 50 gifts are alot to send, but still.....
I like the lolly idea too, but I think the floral foam cost alot more than $1! Can you really buy it at the $ store?!

Last edited by craftymomto2; 12-01-2009 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

OK I am confused just how many items would you have to make? one time I read this it sounds like he wants something like a bucket or basket with snacks in it for $7 that people just walk by and grab a handful out of, then one time I read it and it sounds like he wants a gift worth about $7 per person if that's the case maybe going and getting the stone coasters and then looking to see if you could find coffee mugs or "spill proof" glasses to make as a set.
to bad the office manager or the wife can't do that -- sorry to the office managers and wifes out there
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

What if you made small boxes - use plain cardstock and stamp with Christmasy/wintery stamps, and he can fill with a couple of candies?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

I believe your first assumption is correct. It sounds like he is sending one "something" filled with a lot of little "somethings" to 50 offices. For instance, 1 bucket of peppermint candies to 50 different offices. In my mind it's the equivalent of one of those big popcorn tins to be shared by the whole office.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhayes1View Post
OK I am confused just how many items would you have to make? one time I read this it sounds like he wants something like a bucket or basket with snacks in it for $7 that people just walk by and grab a handful out of, then one time I read it and it sounds like he wants a gift worth about $7 per person
Have faith in God . . . . Mark 11:22

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #32  

Received 277 Likes on 164 Posts

Sounds like he wants something original rather than a store-bought bucket-o-candy, so perhaps an "original" container repurposed (recycled) with the least expensive "bones" candy you can find. How about rubber gloves filled with "bones"-shaped sweet-tart candies? I have seen candy that shape around Halloween time of the year; maybe Halloween candy items are now on clearance through Oriental Trading or a similar company. This idea is definitely not your traditional Christmas item, but would be remembered!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #33  

Received 277 Likes on 164 Posts

Just wanted to add -- for those of you laughing or scoffing -- I googled bone-shaped candy and 176,000 listings came up, including Oriental Trading!

After all, he is a chiropractor!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Boy you opened the flood gates with this question didn't you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would tell him there's no way you can do that within his budget. If we're talking the scale of a giant box of twizzlers, I think you can get a bucket of whatever (candy, cookies, etc.) for $7, but I don't think you can get the substance of the gift AND your artwork for that amount.

(I am also confused by the quantity you'll need-- your chiropractor has 50 offices under him?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

I take it as he's wanting to get/keep his name out there so he can perhaps drum up business and use it for a tax write off
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Wow, it sounds like he wants you to buy the candy and fancy it up for the same price he paid for just the candy last year. :o If I were you, I'd make sure I got the money up front...he sounds like quite a cheapskate!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 04:33 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd just go back to CVS and get the same thing for him as he did last year. Make business cards for him on the computer to put with each bucket and call it a gift. I wouldn't look at it as a money making project for yourself.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 05:52 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeycreekMOView Post
I like the lollipop idea, also. Maybe you could stick them in styrofoam and make a "tree".

Also, don't forget those adorable junior mints covered with punched out scallops and stamped with appropriate images.

$7 does sound "cheap", but it sounds like he's sending it to 50 other offices in the area, instead of a plant or popcorn tin, so I bet everyone really appreciates it.
I love this idea!!! I can really visualize this but with the globe shaped lollipops rather than the flat circles - I might steal it to take to a couple of Children's parties I go to.

As for the OT - as I pointed out previously - if the poster can keep costs down by bulk buying (Costco/Sams/Sales) use products she doesn't want any more to pretty it up (doesn't everyone have a 1/2 off Christmas slab of paper hanging around or is that just me?) and has a cutter such as a Cricut available (multicuts are no hassle) and then use quick adhesive.

Keep costs down to $250 total and charge $10 per piece for 50 pieces that is $250 in pocket and I would make certain of two things that the Doc knew it was a special price for him and that I put my name on it for anyone else wanting to contact me for future work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 08:18 AM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

How about using the concept on SCS's home page of altering a tin, then emptying into it a bag (or bag and a half) of mini bite-size snickers or milkyways? Heck, you could probably even go to Salvation Army and get some tins there--just wash them out really good.
Reply With Quote Likes