Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-30-2011, 10:00 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with SU Cling Mounted Stamps

I just purchased my first SU cling mounted stamp set. I put the clear image on the back as the package stated, but when I try to stamp with it, it falls off of my clear acrylic block. I cleaned off my block thinking it possibly had something on it, it helped a bit, but it just doesn't stay on as well as clear acrylics do. I asked my Demo, but her response was "I have never bought one of those so why don't you Google it to see if there's an answer".

I don't know if SU's acrylic blocks are different from others, mine are from Apple Pie Memories. Any help would be appreciated as I want to use this set for Halloween treats for my grandchildren. Thanks in advance. Linda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

You need to make sure your clear block is absolutely clear of fuzz/ debris. Also, make sure your cling part is clear of debris. Lay stamp rubber side down on table. Press clear block onto clear label of stamp firmly and hold for 30 seconds. This should help with adherance. If still having problems, you can add somemoisture (minimal amount) onto clear label portion then try again.

here is what SU says specifically:
To properly adhere your clear-mount stamp to the clear block, press the clear-mount stamp firmly onto the clear block, applying even pressure to the entire surface of the stamp. After you adhere the stamp to the block, turn your block over (rubber side down) and press down firmly to ensure the cling hold to the entire stamp. You will be able to see if the stamp is sufficiently adhered to the block if you see flat air bubbles.

Hope this helps. Sorry your Demonstrator was not more helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I don't use the clear mount stamps either so I'm not sure if I will be of any help here, but I have read that some people are having problems trying to get their stamps to stick to the clear blocks. I read that some people are not putting their stickers on the stamps and they are getting better results that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I buy the clear unmounted stamps from SU, But I don't use the clear image cling on my stamps. I found it doesn't cling as well as the foam does.

But since you have attached your stickers to the foam on the stamps. You might want to mist the sticker with a little bit of water and then place the stamp on the acrylic block.

And see if this might help the stamp stay on better.

What I did with my stickers is I placed them inside the Storage container.
And then placed the stamps inside where the stickers are.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I don't use the image stickers either, stick much better without them. You can peel them off if you're not adverse to not having the images. If you want them you can huff or breathe on the block before you stick the stamp on to create a better seal. I used to do that then press it down on the table for a good five seconds.

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I DO use the clear stickers on mine and when a stamp doesn't seem to want to adhere real well, I "huff" on the back of the stamp and then stick it to the block. 9 times out of 10 this does the trick. For that one time it doesn't, I have found that if I slightly dampen the back of the stamp it will hold.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 281 Likes on 101 Posts

I had the same problem.

I own a SLICE machine and the adhesive spray I use to get the paper to stick to the SLICE glass works great to help my clear stamps adhere to acrylic blocks.

VOILA!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

I have the same problems sometimes. The last set I got didn't seem to want to stay no matter what I did. A friend of mine suggested putting a little repositional glue stick on the back and it worked great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you all so much for your help with this. I'm going to try your tips and I really appreciate the help!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

This is a known default with SU's clear mount stamps. Hopefully they will come up with a fix for this and soon. We pay too much for these stamps for them to not be working properly.

Besides not staying on the blocks with the sticker on them, they also won't stay mounted in the DVD package if the stickers are used. They curl and won't lay flat. If I can find another SU'er with the same clear clings as mine I'm going to stamp the image directly on the cling and not use the stickers, just like people do when remounting wood stamps on EZ Mount. This is a temporary fix or me until SU fixes the problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a new set the other day, the cling won't even stick to the stamp! So frustrating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
This is a known default with SU's clear mount stamps. Hopefully they will come up with a fix for this and soon. We pay too much for these stamps for them to not be working properly.

Besides not staying on the blocks with the sticker on them, they also won't stay mounted in the DVD package if the stickers are used. They curl and won't lay flat. If I can find another SU'er with the same clear clings as mine I'm going to stamp the image directly on the cling and not use the stickers, just like people do when remounting wood stamps on EZ Mount. This is a temporary fix or me until SU fixes the problem.
Have you tried keeping the rubber sheet and using it to put the stamps back into? I do this and it is nice also since I know at a glance if I have all of the stamps. Plus it would help hold them in place better and keep them flat. I don't bother with the sticker. I tried it on one stamp, didn't like the fact that it didn't stick well, peeled the sticker off and now don't bother putting stickers on at all. I don't have images on any of my other unmounted stamps so it isn't something that I really felt I needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYstamperView Post
Have you tried keeping the rubber sheet and using it to put the stamps back into? I do this and it is nice also since I know at a glance if I have all of the stamps. Plus it would help hold them in place better and keep them flat. I don't bother with the sticker. I tried it on one stamp, didn't like the fact that it didn't stick well, peeled the sticker off and now don't bother putting stickers on at all. I don't have images on any of my other unmounted stamps so it isn't something that I really felt I needed.
Yes, I did do this after reading this suggestion elsewhere on SCS. But the little suckers are still curling up and falling out of their designated spot in the rubber sheet. I find it really irritating that they don't work or store properly. None of the other cling mount stamps I have from other companies do this. Maybe SU needs to consult with other stamp manufacturers and find a way to fix this problem. I prefer to see the image when I'm stamping because I started with clear CTMH stamps (and other brands after that) and that's the way I'm used to stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 03:33 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

I too am having same issues! Very annoying! Will try the repo glue solution, hugging didn't work for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 03:34 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Huffing. Darn auto correct
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 03:48 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I spread on a thin layer of Tombo Mono adhesive and let it dry overnight. This makes it tacky. I also keep my rubber outline to store my stamps in. I have never heard that the stamps curl. I kept the outline because I was afraid of losing small stamps. I will be really upset if my stamps curl.

I can't figure out why SU doesn't remedy this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 04:38 AM   #17  

My stamps curl if they have the label on. It's almost like the label shrinks over time. I have removed the labels from my earlier cling mounts and am now label free:-) It's actually really easy to stamp without them. Just have to make sure I have things right side up....learned that the hard way:-) But, I've mounted wood mounts upside down too...dahhhhhhh!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 05:43 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
My stamps curl if they have the label on. It's almost like the label shrinks over time. I have removed the labels from my earlier cling mounts and am now label free:-) It's actually really easy to stamp without them. Just have to make sure I have things right side up....learned that the hard way:-) But, I've mounted wood mounts upside down too...dahhhhhhh!
I think the label actually kind of stretches when you remove it from its backing, so then it does shrink once it's on the stamp. Somewhere a while back, I remember seeing a tutorial from someone who put the labels on a little differently - she popped the stamp out of the rubber and removed the backing, then popped it back into the rubber frame, then peeled back only a part of the label and stuck it to the stamp and then slowly removed the rest of the backing, pressing the label down as she went. It kept the label from stretching and made sure the stamp was completely flat as the label went on. She claimed that doing it this way, she never had a problem with even her tiny stamps sticking.

For me, too much work. I'm used to using unmounteds without the image on the back, so I just don't apply the stickers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 07:28 AM   #19  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
I think the label actually kind of stretches when you remove it from its backing, so then it does shrink once it's on the stamp. Somewhere a while back, I remember seeing a tutorial from someone who put the labels on a little differently - she popped the stamp out of the rubber and removed the backing, then popped it back into the rubber frame, then peeled back only a part of the label and stuck it to the stamp and then slowly removed the rest of the backing, pressing the label down as she went. It kept the label from stretching and made sure the stamp was completely flat as the label went on. She claimed that doing it this way, she never had a problem with even her tiny stamps sticking.

For me, too much work. I'm used to using unmounteds without the image on the back, so I just don't apply the stickers.
I put my labels on in much the same way and mine still curled. I didn't stretch the labels out when I mounted them. Who knows!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I huff on mine and it works, but I have put tack it over and over on the small ones since I like having the label on them. No problems here with curling, maybe climate has an effect? Plus, I'm cheap and don't want to use a lot of storage space so I'm willing to take a few extra steps to make them work. But SU does need to take a serious look at them and fix the problems!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

My ultimate plan is to put a coate of Aileen's tack it over and over on it like I do my other rubber unmounted sets. But since I haven't got that done yet, I do something very easy - put a little piece of double-sided tape on the block. Works fine and I don't get stressed or frustrated. I love SU's unmounted option, but once the label goes on, I haven't had one that would stick on the block worth a hoot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

I got a new set today, and I trimmed the clear piece really close to the image, and now the stamps have a border of bare mounting stuff. I hope this helps. I too have went to double sided tape at times, especially when others are using my stamps! I love having the image on the back tho- esp when it is words!!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I've noticed the problem is much worse on the smaller stamps. The large stamps seem to stick without too much difficulty, but I just purchased Friends Fur-Ever, and all of those little images just fall off without even managing to stick for a second.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 04:17 AM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

OK, I am almost embarassed to admit this, but when I got my first few sets, I didn't really read the instructions! I guess I was too excited to get started! My stamps wouldn't stick either. I had not removed the outer paper! I know.......Anyway, when I slowed down, and removed the paper, and I do use the cling on the stamp, things were soooo much better! I now don't have any problems!
Reply With Quote Likes