Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-22-2023, 09:34 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help printing sentiments

Every year I struggle with the inside of my Christmas cards. I usually type it into Microsoft Word and fit as many as I can on one sheet of paper.
I always end up with wrong sizes and wasted paper.
Does anyone have a tried and true way to do this?
Thanks for your help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Shayshe:
DancesWithHooves (12-26-2023), wavejumper (01-06-2024)
Old 12-22-2023, 01:16 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

When I type the inside of my cards, I change the size of the paper in my printer to the size of my card, then put the words into a text-box so I can center it more easily. Then I print a sample (on regular printer paper) and then make the needed changes like moving the text box(es) to the correct place. I usually type a Bible verse on the left side and put that into a text box as well (in a smaller text size and a bit lighter in color). It takes a couple 'test' pages, but after I get it right I print out as many as I need (for Christmas, for example). I hope that all makes sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by suenan:
Paula in GA (12-27-2023), Shayshe (12-28-2023), TexasGrammy (12-26-2023), whim6915 (12-22-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 03:06 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I struggle with this also. I finally realized I had to quit trying to get as many as I could on the sheet and leave more room so I can use various label punches based on the dimensions of the sentiment. I am a bit of an advanced user in Word so I figured out how to use tables to help - for instance setting a table with several rows and columns with 2inx3in or 3inx4in "cells" depending on what sentiments I'm using. I hope that makes sense.

I mostly make A2 cards and as an alternative I can create four inside card layers from one sheet of 8.5" x 11" paper. I type four sentiments on my document with the appropriate space between them width and lengthwise (using either a table or text boxes), then trim the printed sheet into four 4inx5in layers.

I know I'm probably not explaining this very well and it is confusing, but if you are interested you can get more information using Word Help, or do an internet search about using tables and text boxes in Word. Good luck

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Chris4436:
Craftlover (01-03-2024), janesprando (01-03-2024)
Old 12-27-2023, 07:29 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

I use WordPerfect (like Word), go into labels, and set it for business cards. Then I just type what I want to say, you can get 10 to a page & print it on really nice paper. Then I just use a paper cutter to make the size I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by Paula in GA:
Craftlover (01-03-2024), smadson (03-08-2024), suenan (12-27-2023), wavejumper (01-06-2024)
Old 12-28-2023, 04:39 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I actually try this every year but it doesn't allow me to change the size of the columns. If I adjust the second column it automatically changes the first column.
I did discover that changing the paper to Landscape made it much better.
Thanks for your help.
Merry Christmas (a little late)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2023, 04:40 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

That is brilliant!
Thank you, that will make things so much easier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2023, 12:32 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Frustration with Tables

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaysheView Post
I actually try this every year but it doesn't allow me to change the size of the columns. If I adjust the second column it automatically changes the first column.
I did discover that changing the paper to Landscape made it much better.
I agree that table formatting can get messed with easily. Tables and labels (which are just preformatted tables) work well when you want to do multiples of the same or similar sized sentiments. When I want to print several different sentiments in different sizes and fonts on the same page I often use the text box feature. This allows me to keep each one contained and move each box around on the page as needed. Again, this is somewhat advanced word processing since you have to set the text box formatting so each can be moved independently. Information on text boxes is available in Word Help as well as on the internet. Happy Holidays!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2024, 02:41 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I make only A2 sized cards, and as earlier noted, I use Word to create 4 inside mattes per sheet.
After ensuring everything prints on a test page, my final printing uses white cardstock. Working with various other craft projects, I have discovered that you can purchase a huge variety of actual labels. If you use Avery brand, you can use the "labels and mailings" tab in Word OR download the Avery website that has all their products set up by the label number. Using a label also means a lot less adhesive needed!!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Lisa D.:
Chris4436 (01-03-2024), smadson (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 05:22 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,997 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Great ideas! I have missed up lots of paper trying different ways! Subbing and keeping this to try some of these. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2024, 06:42 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 510 Likes on 229 Posts

I have MS Office and have always used Publisher for printing insides of cards. It is much more flexible than any Word document. A blank page gives guides 1/2 inch from all edges of paper. I add one horizontal and one vertical guide. This marks the exact center of the paper and defines your 4.25 and 5.5 inches. Then I add two more horizontal and two more vertical, and move them to 1/2 inch from the center guides in each direction. That defines the center area of 4 card insides. You can create a text box that has your desired wording, make 3 copies and move them around within those 4 centers to wherever you want them.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by fionna51:
Chris4436 (01-06-2024), LizBeth1976 (01-07-2024), smadson (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 07:01 AM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2024, 05:45 AM   #12  
Inking Addict

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Creating master copies for printing verses

My method solves the problem of getting the text layout placed properly on the print out without wasting paper by trial and error. I am using an older version of Word so the method of each step might be a bit different depending on your version of Word. It does take a fair amount of time to create your two Master copies, but if you are careful to save the Master copies before making changes, you will find printing verses quick and easy without wasting a lot of card stock or paper.
I have been using this method for years.

Open a blank Word document 8.5 x 11, Specify landscape or portrait.

Set margins as small as possible (narrow).

Insert a line (found under shapes) vertically, from top of document to bottom in the center.

Insert another line horizontally half way down the page from left to right.

Change page view so you can see the whole document without scrolling.
Select one of the lines and move it till it is centered vertically. Repeat with the other line. Use the up
or down arrows on your keyboard. These lines will help you visually place the text boxes correctly.

Create text box. Specify size, 4.5 x 3.25 for portrait layout, 3.25 x 4.5 for landscape.

Drag the text box to a corner using the horizontal and vertical lines to help with spacing. (Be careful not to change size of text box.) For adjusting position of text box just a bit, select box and use up or down arrows on your keyboard.

At this point, print a copy of document on plain text weight paper. Make changes on document till you are satisfied with placement.

Now delete the horizontal and vertical lines from your document. Next, remove the visible lines around each text box.

Select one of the text boxes, go to shape outline in format. Select no outline. Now you can see the text box with a dotted line when you click on it, but it disappears when you don't have it selected.
Change each of the text boxes to no lines.

This will be your Master copy! Save on your computer! I save mine in a folder named verses, I named the master copies 4 text box portrait and 4 text box landscape.

Make a copy of the Master document and close the master, Now you can add text to the copy, and format it as far as font, alignment, etc. If I am making multiple cards with same verse, I select the verse from the first text box (highlight it), copy, and paste in other 3 text boxes.
I save this document as a PDF with a name using a few words from the 1st line of the verse. This prevents glitches that can change the appearance of a document that is saved in Word.

If administrators think it would help, I can attach my Word documents to this post. I have tried to share my master documents with friends via email but have not had success because of different versions of Word. Administrators, please advise.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by pressed4time:
Chris4436 (01-12-2024), ChrisO (01-12-2024), Conniecrafter (01-21-2024), Luci in AZ (01-13-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 05:40 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you so much everyone, these ideas definitely helped!
You are the best bunch of people.
Reply With Quote Likes