Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-24-2010, 04:39 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP!! an order for 100 birthday invies - how do I price them?

I have someone who found my name through people who know I make cards. She was signing up for a local service at a business and asked if they knew someone who could make handmade invitations.

So.... I don't know exactly how to price that many? She said she wants them kinda fancy and needs 100 by August 10th. I feel like it's my chance to get my name out. I don't want to overprice them but my husband says I always sell my cards too cheap. He says I give them away and if I want to do this seriously and try to make it a little side business I need to sell them for more especially because of the time I put into them.

Any suggestions? Please give me your input!

Thanks
Shaunna
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2010, 05:47 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, I don't sell the cards I make, so I can't and wouldn't advise on a specific price for the job you're talking about. But I would advise to feel out the person offering the job to see what kind of price they are willing to pay. Also, since this is the first "real" job you will be doing, don't go overboard with pricing. Depending on what kind of birthday (child's 1st, Sweet 16, older adult, etc.) would probably determine to an extent the amount the person is willing to pay for the job.

Just my thoughts.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2010, 06:03 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Here is a link to another thread that talks about pricing cards; but nothing in this large of a quantity.

Need Help! Q: Do You Sell Your Cards? by havonfamily at Splitcoaststampers

As a general rule it seems people charge between $2.50 and $5.00 per card depending on materials used, amount of embellishments etc. Then discounts are given when cards are sold in quantities like 12 or 20.

I've never sold a card but here are some things to keep in mind. First, you need to make sure you get back the cost of ALL the materials you use. Even think about the amount of adhesive you will go through and include a cost for that in your price. Secondly, it is hard to come up with something to compensate you for your TIME. That seems to be the trickiest part about pricing handmade objects. For making a quantity as large as 100 it seems reasonable that you can add in some amount to pay for your time and effort.

Good Luck...it is a great opportunity to get your name out there! I don't know if you have time for this but you might want to make up a few samples to show the client. It will give you a better idea of what she means by "fancy"; and give you an opportunity to explain that more embellishments will mean a higher price. Sometimes having the material right in front of them can help the person understand your pricing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2010, 06:42 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Smile thank you

Thank you - both of you ladies for your advice! I can't tell you thanks enough for answering my post! You've both helped bunches!

Blessings and hugs to you!
Shaunna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2010, 07:08 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Shaunna

If you decide to accept this commission - I can advise you to provide at least two (three is better) completed designs so your customer can choose. And each sample should be a different price point (as in - single layer - $1.50-$2.00 ea, one layer - $3.00) that kind of thing. And only show her designs that you would be happy mass-producing!

Keep in mind- the envelopes are a big part of the supply cost, so factor that in. I've read about people that figure how many cards they can make in an hour, and include an hourly rate ($10-$15 per hour) plus supply cost.

Just reread your post - you have a short timeline to get 100 finished! I'd offer two or three Clean and Simple (the gallery has tons of ideas!)

ask for a deposit as well - at least 50%, with rest due on delivery. I'm sure someone has posted a "contract" - including some kind of wording that hand stamped/created cards will not all be identical!

have fun

Thank you for visiting ~ My Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2010, 07:24 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I like your advice... smart. You are a sweetie for sharing this. GeryB

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy_PattiView Post
Shaunna

If you decide to accept this commission - I can advise you to provide at least two (three is better) completed designs so your customer can choose. And each sample should be a different price point (as in - single layer - $1.50-$2.00 ea, one layer - $3.00) that kind of thing. And only show her designs that you would be happy mass-producing!

Keep in mind- the envelopes are a big part of the supply cost, so factor that in. I've read about people that figure how many cards they can make in an hour, and include an hourly rate ($10-$15 per hour) plus supply cost.

Just reread your post - you have a short timeline to get 100 finished! I'd offer two or three Clean and Simple (the gallery has tons of ideas!)

ask for a deposit as well - at least 50%, with rest due on delivery. I'm sure someone has posted a "contract" - including some kind of wording that hand stamped/created cards will not all be identical!

have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you. You've given me very sound and wise advice. I do have a short timeline and now it's even shorter. She called a while ago and needs them THIS Friday - her party is the 10th of August and she wasn't thinking about having to mail them. I told her I definately couldn't do anything fancy on such short notice. It is going to be tough as is. I thought about telling her no, but decided to give it my best and will come up with 3 different designs like you suggested and meet with her tomorrow afternoon. We'll see how tomorrow goes. I think I'll know more once I actually get to speak to her in person. I'm thinking about starting some kind of an "example" book that shows styles of cards - which can be changed, etc., - but will somehow give an idea for pricing? I'll have to think it about it more and keep the ideas spinnin!
I really appreciate your suggestions! You have been incredibly helpful - I can't thank you enough! You are very kind to take the time to answer my post! Thank you - thank you - thank you!

Blessings and Hugs!
Shaunna

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy_PattiView Post
Shaunna

have fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

I think you should charge a bit more for a "rush" order. That's going to be really hard getting all those done in time without going crazy. (at least it would be for me)

Good luck! (and don't forget to get the down payment to pay for your supplies up front)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That's what I was going to suggest, get a payment from her tomorrow so you don't have to use your money (that is non-refundable deposit), that way if she changes her mind and doesn't want them, YOU are not out any money. I would also do like flowersandhearts suggested, charge some extra because it is a rush job, alot of businesses do that, so she shouldn't be suprise about that charge, let her know up front about the rush charge too, no suprises for either of you. Have her sign or initial the back of the card she wants you to make too, than there is no way she can say "that's not the card I looked at" type of thing.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Its helpful too to have all your cardstock bases cut at once at your office supply store. My Staples can cut 250 sheets in half (that equals 500 cards!) in one cut for $2.00!

Thank you for visiting ~ My Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if you'll be back to see this or not, but my suggestion was going to be to make the invitation something single paneled.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2010, 06:54 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

Oh how exciting for you! I've never sold a card, but stumbled on this thread and just wanted to wish you the best of luck and hope you stop back in with the details of your order, what you made and how much she loved them!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

So glad to find this thread. I'm doing a fundraiser craft sale in Sept with my mom. I was debating between $2.50 to $5.00 for the cards, but think that I'll price them all at $3.00 so it averages out. And sets of 6 for $15. I'll have over 100 cards (hopefully more like 300) and maybe 20 sets.

My mom is worried because many of the customers will be, as she put it, 'frugal seniors and there is a dollar store nearby.' (sounds like she was harsh, but she definitely wasn't...hard to convey her tone in this post, kwim) I'm sure buyers will understand they are homemade and it's for charity.
So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we�ll change the world" --
Jack Layton (1950-2011)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberTruckerView Post
Sure would be interesting to hear from the OP on how this went for her.

Oooh yeah, me too! The customer's party would've been yesterday!
Reply With Quote Likes