Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-02-2009, 05:47 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Location: Currently, in the United Arab Emirates--about 45 miles north of Dubai, in Ras Al Khaimah
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help!! Need ideas for English Mum's Day

I've already had 6 requests for cards for English Mum's day which is in a few weeks---but I need cards in a few days for people to mail them from here in time to get there!!! Any ideas???cards in gallery to see????sketches???stamps????? Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 06:32 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

What about having a look at the CAS cards?
PS Mothers Day is on 22 March, so you'd need to get going!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 06:32 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Any pretty floral card would do-- what sets do you have? Here is one my clubs did in 2007-- the technique is white magic.
Attached Thumbnails
Help!! Need ideas for English Mum's Day-white-magic-mothers-day.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 07:05 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,061 Likes on 816 Posts

Flowers are good, for sure.
I made this suprise pop-up card for a customer Pop Up Mothers Day by Cook22 at Splitcoaststampers using a Penny Black stamp,
and this one for my MIL last year using Trees Three - Happy Mothers Day by Cook22 at Splitcoaststampers. She loved it - and even though she expected a card I had made, she wasn't sure whether I had bought it.
My dilemma is always whether to use an apostrophe in Mother's - it's open to debate so it comes down to personal preference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Anything with flowers - whether they are die cut or stamps.

And Spring colours - especially in Britain this time of year - the days are finally getting longer and the ladies will appreciate the spring colours

or Daffodils if you want to be specific - many churches and community groups that children attend will send daffodils home for the mums so even if their children are older they may appreciate being reminded of "back" in the day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 07:29 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I made this suprise pop-up card for a customer Pop Up Mothers Day by Cook22 at Splitcoaststampers using a Penny Black stamp,
and this one for my MIL last year using Trees Three - Happy Mothers Day by Cook22 at Splitcoaststampers. She loved it - and even though she expected a card I had made, she wasn't sure whether I had bought it.
My dilemma is always whether to use an apostrophe in Mother's - it's open to debate so it comes down to personal preference.
Well in Britain it is technically "Mothering Sunday" so that solves the problem if you want to go that route.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 08:08 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Location: Currently, in the United Arab Emirates--about 45 miles north of Dubai, in Ras Al Khaimah

Thanks for all these responses!!!! I have really only one floral set--SU's Wild Rose, sometimes I can make something pretty with it and sometime not!! I have a few Inkadinkado clear flower stamps, and made a nice card last week for the color challenge. Will probably jazz that design up a bit. It's bedtime here, so I'll check out these links in the morning!!! I'll try to post some of what I make in my gallery. Will be up early in the morning creating (I hope!!!!) I'll welcome any more ideas!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I just had a quick look in your gallery and it looks like you could go several ways with stuff you already have. Butterflies would be good so you could pull out your favourite set! Or I see you have the Fluffles stamp with him holding a bunch of flowers. If you have a sentiment stamp like "For You" even if you don't have a specific mothers day one, that would work.

I know what you mean with that apostrophe Sabrina! It's even more complicated as you can make an argument for an apostrophe in one of two places, as well (Mother's Day or Mothers' Day - depending on whether you think of it as a day belonging to your own mother (singular) or to all mothers (plural) - gah!).

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

ok i aplogise in advance cos its not me being pedantic but ....as my MIL always says its actually "Mothering Sunday" ,as a mum i am happy to get a card which says anything on it ,but as i was reading the thread i kept hearing MIL,s voice ARGHHH ,yep i hear her voice a lot !!!! sorry !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #10  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllyBView Post
ok i aplogise in advance cos its not me being pedantic but ....as my MIL always says its actually "Mothering Sunday" ,as a mum i am happy to get a card which says anything on it ,but as i was reading the thread i kept hearing MIL,s voice ARGHHH ,yep i hear her voice a lot !!!! sorry !!!
Maybe in the UK but not, that I am aware of, in Ireland. Even though we use your date and not the American one. Or the Australian one, which reminds me I must send a reminder to my BIL. I guess because doesn't it relate back to the tradition of girls being in service? And going home to visit their families - with their Simnel cakes. Or am I partially mixing it up with Boxing Day. (Which is St. Stephen's Day here).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Its the really really old fashioned name ....ya know chuch service religious thing ,it was always Mothering Sunday when i was a kid ( ok im not a grandma yet ,but the wrong side of 45 ) but every one says Mothers Day now .....ya see honest im not the pedant ,i have just had years and years and years of that voice lol ..................
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

some years when i feel rebelious i send her a Mothers Day card and wait for the explosion ....:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Its the really really old fashioned name ....ya know chuch service religious thing ,it was always Mothering Sunday when i was a kid ( ok im not a grandma yet ,but the wrong side of 45 ) but every one says Mothers Day now .....ya see honest im not the pedant ,i have just had years and years and years of that voice lol ..................
Don't worry - if you scroll up you will see that I said it could be "Mothering Sunday" too.;) and I'm only the wrong side of 40.:p

BTW whatever you do - Don't put Mom on the card! Mum, Mummy, Mother yes, Mom, I don't know any of those over there unless they have American roots - :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

I wouldn't excatly call it the old fashioned name but more the origin of the celebration.

Mothering Sunday, which is the origin of Mothers Day, was the middle Sunday of Lent and started in the 16th Century. People would visit the diocese 'Mother Church'/cathedral rather than their local parish church and it was the one day off a year the children in service (maids, stable hands etc) had and they would go along to their families Mother church and take Simnel cake and flowers for their mothers.

Sorry for the history lesson, I'm really in to the origin of things.

But as for the card, I go with spring colours and flowers too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LangaraView Post
I wouldn't excatly call it the old fashioned name but more the origin of the celebration.

Mothering Sunday, which is the origin of Mothers Day, was the middle Sunday of Lent and started in the 16th Century. People would visit the diocese 'Mother Church'/cathedral rather than their local parish church and it was the one day off a year the children in service (maids, stable hands etc) had and they would go along to their families Mother church and take Simnel cake and flowers for their mothers.

Sorry for the history lesson, I'm really in to the origin of things.

But as for the card, I go with spring colours and flowers too.

Thanks for that! A bit like returning to the mother ship then for the sci-fi addicts. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Gosh if i put Mom on MIL,s card she,d choke !! teehee :-D ok small side track here Simnel cake mmmmm.............
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Happy Mother's Day is Normal.

Most cards have flowers on, I suppose because spring is here and daffodils are about and cheap for kids to give mum a bunch of.

The apron shaped cards look nice with a theme, garden, cooking, or just love tokens. My kids sat making some today for their Nan. And yes i would still put Happy Mother's Day on that too.

What about the tag shaped Cards you could add pictures of bunnies doing mummy things on them, and have 3 or 4 panels.

Or the one where you tri-fold a card and then cut a triangle shape off the first and second section so it has a zig-zag shape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
These are BOTH so CUTE!!! Don't have these stamps, but at least I have ideas on how to use what I have!!

Reading all these comments, I am reading them in the accents of my friends here!!!! Guess I've been here long enough, I'm trying to form the accent for myself!!! I'm from the SOUTHERN part of the United States (Mississippi) so you can imagine the comments and jokes I get about my accent---maybe I will pick up a little of the English accent!!!!

Thanks, all of you, for your help and responses. Now I've got to get busy!!!
Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love the "Southern" accent ,i could listen to you all day ,in my best Queens English " Jolly good show ole chap ,frightfully nice to chat " :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #20  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

I love the "Southern" accent ,i could listen to you all day ,in my best Queens English " Jolly good show ole chap ,frightfully nice to chat " :mrgreen:
I always find it so strange meeting people IRL after only meeting them online, and discovering that they have accents, LOL. Although the only place in the States that I've visited is MA, the Southern accent is the one I * hear* best, as we've had a friend from GA stay with us several times. He speaks in a fairly neutral accent, but he will put the Southern one on.
Once when I was working in Yorkshire I was so embarassed to have difficulty sometimes understanding one of the local lads who worked in the grounds of the house where I was living :oops:, used to hate having to ask him to repeat himself but his accent was so strong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 08:39 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Sorry you still sound Welsh to me...:mrgreen: (says the American that used to get asked if she was from the West Country - I used to answer yes, the really west Country :lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

i can do a pretty good "west country" altho in fact i actually have a fairly bland accent unless i am trying to do an accent ...mind you all my family are very Welsh ....when we lived in the USA my DD who was 9 used to say in a very Queen like accent " we,re English dont you know " ,My son could do a good New York like "The Nanny" i think most of the locals thought i was "that mad English woman " with kids like mine i am !!!!!!!:mrgreen: I enjoy all sorts of American accents north south east and your west xx

Last edited by AllyB; 03-03-2009 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: adding a bit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

England always makes me think of tea (because I really love tea). Do you have any teacup/teapot stamps? I think that would make a nice card for the occasion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Anything with flowers - whether they are die cut or stamps.

And Spring colours - especially in Britain this time of year - the days are finally getting longer and the ladies will appreciate the spring colours

or Daffodils if you want to be specific - many churches and community groups that children attend will send daffodils home for the mums so even if their children are older they may appreciate being reminded of "back" in the day.
While working on cards yesterday, I remembered I DID have a small stamp with Daffodis in a vase!!! It will be really cute--when I get some done, I'll post them!!
Reply With Quote Likes