Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-05-2015, 06:47 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, my clear stamps are stuck to their packaging...

I have several, well, a lot, of packs of clear stamps that have been untouched in about a year. The ones that have never been opened seem to be stuck to the clear backing sheet they come on. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting them unstuck without messing them up?
I managed to get 1 unstuck and now it has no more "stickiness" and won't stick to the acrylic block. =(
Thanks a bunch!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 07:14 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try cleaning the back of the unsticky stamp with some rubbing alcohol. Sometimes what's actually happening is a thin layer of the backing is sticking to the stamp and needs to be cleaned off. I think the technical description of the problem is "torn substrate" if you want to search for more info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 08:23 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

This happens often especially if the stamp company doesn't use the right kind of acetate for storage. I've actually torn a couple of my stamps. I found that running hot water over the stamp and sheet helps. Then I store them on laminated stamp sheets.

Be careful using alcohol as harsh chemicals are not good for clear stamps. So far, I been able to wash them with dish soap and warm water and let them air dry. At last resort, just add a wee bit Tombow mono glue to back of the stamp and let dry. They will stay sticky for quite some time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Sometimes no matter what you do they will stay stuck. I had this happen with an alphabet set a few years ago. I just trimmed the backing sheet as closely as I could around the actual stamp, put 2-way glue on the back and used them that way! Good luck!

Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
jnsyr (08-12-2022)
Old 01-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
This happens often especially if the stamp company doesn't use the right kind of acetate for storage. I've actually torn a couple of my stamps. I found that running hot water over the stamp and sheet helps. Then I store them on laminated stamp sheets.

Be careful using alcohol as harsh chemicals are not good for clear stamps. So far, I been able to wash them with dish soap and warm water and let them air dry. At last resort, just add a wee bit Tombow mono glue to back of the stamp and let dry. They will stay sticky for quite some time.
Washing stamps with soap and water to restore stickiness works if it's just that the stamp has lost stickiness from repeated use or dirt/dust. But if the problem is torn substrate, you need to remove the substrate from the stamp-- that's what the alcohol is for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You would think that the producers of the stamps would have learnt by now to use the correct storage so this problem does not occur. Especially when you look at the cost of some of these stamp sets. I have just moved all of my sentiment stamps onto lamilated A5 pages and now store them all in order of occasion.
For anyone in Australia I found some great A5 size storage packs that are semi clear (slightly smoky looking) but clear enough to see through. Easily holds 2 laminated sheets stamps and stamped page so you can see whats there. Closes with a little flap that clicks closed. At Office Works.
Ended up with 50 laminated pages full- goodness that sounds bad 50..... but honestly it all fit nicely in one container for easy flip thru.
And back on subject as I moved some of these sentiments that had not been used in quite some time there were a few ohhh my goodness stretchy moments when I thought they were going to tear so very glad I have moved them.
Now it's time to do those stamps. Theres a few there that are NBUS so could be risky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Sometimes no matter what you do they will stay stuck. I had this happen with an alphabet set a few years ago. I just trimmed the backing sheet as closely as I could around the actual stamp, put 2-way glue on the back and used them that way! Good luck!
This is what I have done to a couple stamps that were really stuck. This way you avoid using anything on the stamp itself that might disintegrate the polymer. It also helps eliminate it squishing out i you press too hard on the stamp...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 05:17 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you ladies so much for all the helpful replys!! I'll give these methods a try and let you know how it goes!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2015, 05:20 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I used a stamp over the weekend, that I had to do the very same thing too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I've had some bought new that were super stuck. Really had to work and work at it pulling a small section at a time so as not to tear the stamp. This was all the silicone type - the ones made in China/overseas, not in USA. I was always buying the ones they sell in the box stores.

It's a good idea to go and pull the stamps from the backing - ANY backing you use - to help keep them from sticking badly. Because over time it can happen again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2015, 12:45 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Are there any particular brands that are more troublesome?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2015, 02:46 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never had photopolymer stick to the backing, but I have had acrylic stamps do that. I tried various methods to get them to release after tearing several of them...once I did finally get them off the backing, they would never stick back down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2015, 03:11 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Which brands are acrylic, other than the ones you find in the dollar bin?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Fancy Pants and MME are two companies whose stamps are acrylic, that have stuck to the backing in my experience. Also Hampton Arts.
Penny Black's clear stamps are acrylic too, but theirs are awesome! With the stamped image you get with their clear stamps it's hard to believe they're acrylic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2015, 07:54 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I am starting to have problems with my Flourishes stamps sticking to the backing used. I pulled out the Believe set to use one of the sentiments. I bought this set 2 years ago, but have not used this particular sentiment yet. Took me quite some time to pull it off the backing. Very up set as I purchased many of their sets, but have not use every single image.

I really dread going through all my Flourishes stamp sets. I really don't want to loss any of them. But I did get suggestion on this thread about cutting them out, but I dread that too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2015, 08:23 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

I've had both acrylic and poly stamps stick and IMHO it's about the acetate sheets the mfg. uses and not so much about the type of stamp, but the acrylic stamps seem to be worse.

FurgalStamper is right when she said, "It's a good idea to go and pull the stamps from the backing - ANY backing you use - to help keep them from sticking badly. Because over time it can happen again." I have thousands of stamps and 99% are stored on laminate sheets (unmounted rubber and clear) and when I pull out a box I will check the clear stamps and pull them off the laminate.

For those of you that still remember VHS and cassette tapes - you will recall that if you didn't use the tape it would glue itself together. You had to "exercise" the tape by running it forward to the end and then rewinding it. I think of my clear stamps the same way - they need to be exercised. Plus, it's another reason to make sure you use your stamps to keep them exercised.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 855 Likes on 281 Posts

Does anybody have any idea how to remove clear stamps from a cd case? My friend was gifted some stamps and they were stored in/on a cd case and she has not been able to get them off.

She has tried warm water, she has tried chilling them in the fridge. Neither one helped in any way.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2015, 11:23 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Stamphappy, can you please give more information on Laminate Sheets? I don't know what to search online for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2015, 12:20 PM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
Stamphappy, can you please give more information on Laminate Sheets? I don't know what to search online for.
Several companies make them but the link below will give you the idea. I buy from Crafter's Companion because they always have the mini panels in stock. They fit the binder boxes I use from Unikeep (I lucked out and bought a version that was being discontinued for 87 cents each. I bought a case of 100 so I'm good forever).

Laminate sheets:
Mini-Binder Storage Panels - Package of 4
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddictView Post
Does anybody have any idea how to remove clear stamps from a cd case? My friend was gifted some stamps and they were stored in/on a cd case and she has not been able to get them off.

She has tried warm water, she has tried chilling them in the fridge. Neither one helped in any way.

I hear that freezing them not just chilling.

Since they might be useless anyway, what about putting some baby oil on them a let them soak a bit.

I once spilled some Gamsol (turpenoid) on a new sheet of clear stamps and I didn't see it until morning. The stamps were all greasy gummy bears. I wonder if she did a test on one stamp of putting a little gamsol around the edges until she can get it worked under the stamp. Once/if she has the stamp peeled off she needs to wash it with soap and water. If it ruins one stamp then she's not out much since she can use them.

Oh how about just using the CD case as a stamp block. Let them stay - at least they won't fall off :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2015, 04:19 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddictView Post

Maybe UnDu will help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2015, 06:10 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put mine in the freezer and left them for a day and then they came right off — I now unpeel and put them back on that sheet when I think of it so doesn't happen again!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
jnsyr (08-12-2022)