Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-06-2005, 01:01 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help-metallic embossing looks dirty

I don't have this problem with colors, only metallics. 90% of the time, when I emboss with any metallic EP, there's a shadowy dirty haze around the image. I use the embossing buddy so it's not the large clumps of stray dots, but a general metallic "dirt" if that makes any sense. Even when I use a fine brush to carefully brush it, it's still there, almost like a stain. So, after I emboss, I have the raised image that I want, but then there's this dirty haze around the image. Not exactly the look I'm going for.

Am I doing something really wrong or what? I don't get it every time but most of the time. It doesn't seem to matter which brand of metallic powder I use, it still shows up most of the time. It's noticably mostly on the white paper, but does show up on all the papers. Any suggestions?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2005, 01:19 PM   #2  
Failed Lurker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I've had that too. I don't emboss often (too lazy) but wonder if it would help to emboss for a shorter length of time? Most of my embossing problems have been caused by heating for too long. I am guessing, and will be interested to see what the experts have to say on this one!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2005, 01:36 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

The dirty hazy shadow is there even before I emboss. I even use a fine brush to try and get it off before I emboss, but it doesn't go away even with brushing it off. So, it's not a function of the embossing time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2005, 11:16 PM   #4  
Failed Lurker

Oh, sorry, don't know then. I think mine was more like an oily shadow around it afterwards. Anyway, bumping this to the top in the hope that someone more enlightened will reply!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2005, 06:43 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think it might be your paper, very porus paper will absorb too much Versamark and cause a oily looking shadow, try a different paper,maybe that will help. Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2005, 01:44 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Okay, so here's what I did. I changed my paper to Whisper White. I used the embossing buddy, stamped with Versamark then poured the gold EP over it, tapped it off, then embossed. Got the same dirty image that I did before. So, I started playing with my technique. I also switched to my Whisper White craft pad to get a thicker image than what I was getting with the Versamark. Still used the embossing buddy, stamped with the white craft pad, but instead of pouring the EP and letting it slide off the paper, I held the paper level. I poured the EP on top of the stamped image (didn't let it slide off the paper) so I got a little mound of EP on top of the image. Then I quickly flipped over the paper so that the EP all fell straight off instead of sliding on the paper, gave it a light tap, then embossed. Much better, cleaner image. Barely any hint of any dirty image like before.

I had always been shown to either scoop the EP over the image or pour it onto the image but always to hold the paper at an angle so that the EP would slide off the paper. With the pour and flip method, everything looks so much better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2005, 02:37 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I've had the same issue, but I've noticed it's worse when I use the detail or finer embossing powder. I've adjusted by trying to camouflage where I'm embossing by using darker or patterned paper. Sounds like you're on to something by not letting it slide off your image. I'll have to try that. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2005, 06:02 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have just really started embossing, and my only metalic embossing is with a metalic pad and clear powder - I have not had any problem with the image not being clean though - might help?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2005, 10:47 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

I'm missing something with the "pour and slide" process when removing EP off the image. Did you also "tap" the paper after all the EP had slid off the page? With the "pour and flip" how do you keep the EP from flying all over the place? I am also new to embossing but think it gives a fabulous dimension to stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2005, 01:54 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have been embossing for 10 years and never have this problem, I wish I could help. I use Versamark then dump on the powder, pour it off, and emboss. I don't always use the embossing buddy since it just helps the strays not stick everywhere. I only use SU cardstock. I just did 35 Christmas cards with silver embossing powder and I had no issues. Are you using SU EP? I think I might have had this with an EP had from ages ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2005, 06:00 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've had this problem no matter what paper I use (SU, non SU, dark or light). In fact I had this problem with gold last night. I'll have to try using less powder and the flip method. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2005, 02:27 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

The "pour and slide" was just pouring the EP onto the stamped image, tilting the paper and having the EP slide off the paper. I don't have any problem with the EP flying everywhere when I flip the cardstock because I'm usually doing small pieces and keep the cardstock low by the tray that's catching the EP. I always tap the back of the cardstock whichever method I used to get rid of any excess.

I switched to my SU cardstock and it helped some, but didn't get rid of the problem completely. I was using the Dream Impressions EP that I already had in a bright gold because I had it on hand and didn't want to order SU gold EP yet. I had just done a big order before I realized I wanted to use gold EP for my cards. Funds need to be replenished before I can do another order.
Reply With Quote Likes