Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Which of the cards shown in the post is the worse card?
Card A (The Green One) 112 52.09%
Card B (The Blue One) 103 47.91%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #1  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me settle something with my husband

My husband thinks one of these cards is truly great, and the other truly awful. He's told me his reasoning. I think he's crazy.

Could you tell me which of the two is the worse card?

And then tell me your honest critique/praise for either card. Be brutal if you must- or complimentary if it's true.

I need enough replies that he'll believe me, or that I'll have to believe him.

Thanks

Card A (The Green One)
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Card B (The Blue One)
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 08:05 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I like the blue card better. I like the simplicity of it. I also thought that the greens on the green card didn't coordinate as well. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 08:08 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I like the green one better myself. Although I didn't liek the markering on the sentiment part...maybe leave that off. I really like the background on the green. The scrable one didn't have enough color for me, but that might just be me.

So which one did hubby like?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 08:12 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I commented in your gallery, I liked the blue one better. The cute simplicity of that card was really appealing in my book.

The greens in the first card didn't really seem to coordinate to me, a little clashy- but I do like the idea of the green card, and that background looks really neat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 08:17 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Both cards are good enough to send out!

The blue one could use something extra (I know you are going for the classic look - perhaps a coordinating ribbon?). The green one looks good as it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I'm torn. I think I have to agree that I like the simplicity of the blue one more - however it is dark (maybe that is just the pic or my screen). I agree with the above posts that the greens don't coordinate, but I like the layout/design and background.

Q

Don't get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and it just makes you walk funny. ~Kathryn Carpenter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 08:26 PM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked the blue one better ... I want to add something to it ... two or three silver brads in the bottom right or top left corner. It's simple, but I like it. It could go out as is.
For some reason, I'm not attracted to the green one - and I'm staring at it trying to give you some constructive feedback. The eyelets seem haphazard, so they pull my eye away from the sentiment ... and I agree with teh poster above to delete the marker around the sentiment.
However, these are my own opinions - you're the one who is going to have to live with what you send (and your hubby! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 08:36 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

I like the green one better. So I voted for the blue one being the worst, but I don't mean that it was bad. They are both nice cards, I just prefer the green card. Soooo...Just because I'm nosy, which one did your hubby think was worse? LOL ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 08:45 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I looked at both cards, then read what everyone posted, then went back and looked at the cards again. I agree that it's great your hubby wants to get involved. I've asked DH his opinion when I'm making a card too, but he's not interested in actually stamping. My vote is for the green card. Someone above posted about the eyelets being random and I did find it curious but not distracting. I'd send the green card definitely. Sorry, the blue card doesn't do anything for me even though I like Scrabble. Perhaps a different (more contrast) cardstock? A bit of ribbon? JMO...Good luck ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Forgot to mention-KUDOS to you for being so brave to ask for opinions. I don't think I'd have the guts! You go, girl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 10:03 PM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

I really love your cards, and so only because you asked, the only improvement I would suggest for the blue one is that I personally prefer cards with more contrast. On my monitor, I had to stare at the screen for a few seconds to see the embossed letters on the card. On the image my monitor showed me, the design did not lead my eyes through it. I know the focal image must be much more obvious in real life. So, that is my first reaction, and thank you so much for sharing your cards with us!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 10:18 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

First, I want to say that I like the layout of both cards. The colors didn't grab me, though. The greens in the green card don't go together, at least on my monitor. The blue one is too dark to show the embossing. I picked the blue one as being the 'worse' one, since that is the way I had to vote to say I liked the green one better. ;-)

--Alice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2006, 10:45 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I voted the blue one as worst cuz I forgot that I was voting for the worst, and I thought I was voting for the one I liked. So I voted wrong. I like the blue the best. It's simple but I like it that way. So when are you going to let us know which one your husband liked?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 01:15 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

I kind of like the scrabble simplicity of the second card. It's not a typical card for this site - no layers, no hardware or frills. But, I think simple can be very nice.

I voted against the green card but only becuase it didn't strike my personal fancy. It's really not a bad card - just not my favorite colors or style.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 01:47 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 105 Likes on 82 Posts

I prefer the subtlety of the blue card. The greens on the other seem a bit off to me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 03:33 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

The blue one is nice, but I probably would have stamped the images on white cardstock, then framed out with black or silver before mounting to the blue. It's hard to know how embossed images "really" look, though, just from a picture.
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 03:55 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I really like the layout of both cards but, as 2katjes commented, the colors just don't grab me. I chose the blue card as the worst card eventhough it wasn't *that* bad. I find the cardstock too dark for the silver embossing - it's very hard to see. Perhaps a gold embossing powder might have shown better? A little embellishment would add a world of difference too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 04:35 AM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Thanks so much for all your responses.
The card my husband thinks is a perfect card is the blue card. It's his favorite color and it's in his words "simple"

What I think is interesting is many of you who do like the blue card better want to put a few brads in the bottom corner, or maybe a ribbon. SO DO I! Then I would like it better than the green. But he won't let me do anything to it. Not even a simple watermark background, not a single layer. I'm embarrassed to have it sent out because it looks like I didn't even try. Since he did hold the heat gun to it (a rarity, usually he just says "thats nice") I told him to say he made it.

As for the green card, I do think I used too many greens in it, and that's what I don't like about it. He doesn't like it because he says that rivets should be used to hold something down, and they are just embellishment, which is "weird".

Thank you all for your comments. I do think I'm going to make more of the scrabble ones up, with a lighter blue, maybe a single layer, and a few brads in the corner. A good simple card is useful. Just not SUCH a simple card as the one my husband made.

(And for all of you who said "it's so great he's supportive" - I agree, it is really great. When he needs cards made, he'll often sit downstairs and talk to me why I make them, last night he wanted to do the heating, and he'll put up with me talking about TAC (but not SCS)- but he usually doesn't stamp with me. Still, he doesn't limit me, which is great. He just points out when maybe I've bought too much stuff... and then I self police)

Once again, thanks all for the comments. It's great to get some constructive feedback. Sometimes the gallery is so complimentary when I know a card needs some work (like the green one- I couldn't put my finger on what was wrong. The blue one I knew!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 04:53 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

The only think I saw with the green one that I did not like was the marker lines on the border of the white piece.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 05:06 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 460 Likes on 349 Posts

My problem with the blue card is that it was a little difficult to make out. There is not enough contrast between the silver and the blue for the scrabble tiles to be seen and easily read. Possibly if it were embossed in black instead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 05:38 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 520 Likes on 234 Posts

I agree with your hubby...The blue one is better. I give benefit of doubt for the scan and computer, I will assume there is enough contrast to read the sentiment.

I see a couple things about the green one...first, mismatching the greens. This could be improved by using only one shade of green, or perfectly coordinating ones. Two, someone taught me the rule of threes. Anything you do should be limited to three...three colors, three layers, three embellishments, etc. I would say that 8 brads of different colors would better be limited to three brads in one group, in one color. Since this card is considered monochromatic to an extent, the white paper, black ink, and one color, or 3 shades of the same color of green in layers of paper would make this card very striking.

Your DH seems to be like mine...he doesn't like layers, embellishments, ribbon...all that "fru fru" stuff!!!! Simple is better for him. I have to step out of MY likes to meet his...a lot!!!!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 05:43 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

The blue card was also my favorite because of the simplicity (you don't see that much here - how can we make a simple card when we have $6548 worth of tools and stamp supplies to play with!?) I do feel it was difficult to see the embossing but it is probably more noticable in real life. Perhaps the next time you make a card like that you could mat the embossed part - a line of cream matted on the blue would really draw your eye or even a double mat of cream and maybe the same colour as the embossing? Thanks for sharing your cards and really meaning it when you asked us for our opinions. Please keep the cards coming. We all love to see everyone's creations on SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 05:46 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

The other thing with the scrabble tiles you could do is try some interconnecting words

hmmm

HAPPY
U

And birthday would link in there vertically too (the A in happy would be the same as the A in day so you are utilizing the "scrabbleness"

for thank you

you interconnect
thankS
o * much (using a star punch or blank square
or contrasting color

or you could make a bigger challenge for yourself and emboss and cut out using the scrabble colors so you have letters which are the colors of double and triple word scores (yellow and pink and blue?)
and then glue then on randomly as you need them(but avoiding embossing

good luck!
betsy

The other card is cute but i have to agree the greens don't grab me. Maybe green and a contrasting blue or yellow instead of another green?

thanks for the challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 06:25 AM   #24  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm a fan of the blue - I love the simplicity of it!

I didn't care for all of the shades of green going on. Both were very unique, though, and I'm glad you reached out to your SCS sistahs for advice

Now go tell hubby to stuff it! (in an envelope, that is, and mail it!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 06:52 AM   #25  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the blue one needs a little contrast. Maybe IRL there is more -- but in the picture, the sentiment is very hard to read.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 06:57 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

I like the green one - crisp and easy to read. The blue one was difficult to read and seemed to be lacking some little detail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 07:42 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

HOw wonderful that your DH is involved!! Mine pacifies me with a thats nice comment!

Only cuz you asked for it will I give constructive feedback on the cards. I think they are both great and you could send them with pride. I found the blue hard to read. Took me several seconds to realize it was scrabble letters. Not sure if thats cuz of the scan. Love the card but if in real life its hard to read perhaps the letters need a mat. Thats why I voted it "worse" just cuz I had trouble seeing it was scrabble letters. I liked the green background. I thought that with the green marker on the title and the 3 sets of eyelets it was distracting..I would take out one set of eylets (those on the left) or the marker....only cuz you asked for input- they both are great the way they are!!HTH Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 08:17 AM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

I think they both are fine in their own respect. but i chose the blue to be the worse one, i believe someone previously mentioned that it didn't have enough contrast, almost hard to see the silver on the dark blue.

thanks for sharing your work good or bad :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 08:42 AM   #29  
Embossing Fanatic

I'm sorry, but I also voted incorrectly. Usually you vote for something you like, which I did (the blue one), not the one you don't like. The blue card is simple, yet very clear on the design element. The green card didn't make as much sense in the overall design, i.e. cute? elegant? The eyelets weren't color or design coordinated, just random. The colors weren't compatible or complimentary. Overall, just a bit confusing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 08:53 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

I'm really glad you explained his reasoning why he liked one and not the other. I often wonder what a non-crafter's opinion is on home-made cards.
Yesterday I just took a card out of my trash pile to pull apart and redo for my BIL. DH loves it and does not want me to change it.
I also find it very interesting that he though the decorative eyelets were weird because they didn't hold anything on. I don't think that idea would occur to DH who is not handy but as I read I imagined those very words coming out of my father's mouth. He is a carpenter. I will always remember that (and use eyelets only to hold things on my father's cards).

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 04:34 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Red face DuH!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlee
....... So I voted wrong. I like the blue the best.
Me too! I took too much time browsing through the comments and forgot that I was voting "against" one card.
So.... I like the blue one better. I think that scanners often do not show silver embossing to its full advantage. I did leave a comment for you about perhaps adding a strip of ribbon.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 04:42 PM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJ
I did leave a comment for you about perhaps adding a strip of ribbon.
I completely agree here (or the people who suggested brads) problem is- husband says NOTHING else. And that's what I don't like about that card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 04:50 PM   #33  
CRAZY DAISY

my gallery posts never come out. so i will post here. the green one i didn't care for at all. perhaps it is the two colors of green or the randoness of the eyelets. the blue on is not bad but it needs more, i love simple but not this simple. but you may look at my gallery and say what does this girl think she is saying!!!!! it is just MHO.... hope this helps. i didn't hate either one, and if it were sent to me, i would love it!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2006, 04:51 PM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

So...we need to convert him to our way of thinking. Have him repeat "embelishments are good, ribbon is not evil" over and over until he gives up and lets you do what you feel like doing with your cards. Good luck!!! :p

Q

Don't get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and it just makes you walk funny. ~Kathryn Carpenter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 06:59 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Hey!
Both your cards aren't too bad! The blue one is fine, just kind of plain to me. Thats just me... I like things that are over the top, lol, and personally, I can over-do things sometimes! ;)
The green one is fine, the only thing I don't really care for is the eyeleting. It just seems kind of wierd to me...
Anyways, they are both still very beautiful. I hope you don't think I'm trying to cut you down or anything!

Happy stamping!
Give your hubby a swift kick in the pants for me ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 09:10 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

My comments are in the gallery on each card, but clearly the design elements of the green/blue card are more sophisticated than the plain "purdy blue" one. Your husband missed the memo on distressed backgrounds and how they are supposed to look.

N.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 09:25 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

I am an extremely less-is-more personality, so I tend to prefer simple cards anyway. I really liked the blue scrabble card a lot. I realize your DH said he wanted to you to add nothing else, but perhaps if you layered the entire blue card on top of a piece of the SU metallic silver. It really wouldn't change the look of the card at all and perhaps the silver piece would help pull out the embossing and add just a little life to it. Just a suggestion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 07:54 PM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

I liked the composition of the green card better. I don't care for the randomness of the eyelets though and think they are unnessary. Perhaps here is a compromise for you both. How about recreating the composition of the green card in the blue color scheme (minus the eyelets) and you will have a real winner!! BTW I don't think you mentioned why your dh wants these. Are they for his business?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2006, 08:13 PM   #39  
Kookie Creator

sorry i voted wrong...i voted for blue card as favorite...i should have voted for green card as least favorite. let us know what you and hubby decided!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2006, 03:59 AM   #40  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by KvilleGirl
BTW I don't think you mentioned why your dh wants these. Are they for his business?
No- he just needed a few thank you notes for his birthday. His compromise was to send the one he didn't like to my parents and the one he did to his grandparents.

I really like the "idea" of the blue one, so I'm going to make a few more of them, with a lighter colored mat, and a few brads on the bottom to keep on stock. I like the simplicity too, but having nothing but a sentiment in the middle is TOO simple.
Reply With Quote Likes