Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-28-2007, 04:44 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me with Christmas card delima

Ok. So maybe I'm a freak.

This is how I'm currently working Christmas card stamping.

Each year I fall in love with 10 or so Christmas stamps/sets. I purchase them all. I make 50-100 cards with them, maybe 5 designs, plus a handful of random designs.

I mail them out and give them out.

The next year arrives. I cannot use ANY of the above mentioned 10 sets because I don't know who I sent the kitty santa stamp to (that's an example, I use more than just kitty santas). So I let all the older Christmas ones sit and buy all new ones. Usually I end up selling the old ones. I cannot use any of them because even if it's a different design of Kitty Santa card I can't send Jill a Kitty Santa twice.

So I was thinking I'd either have to:

1. get a log book and note who I send which stamps to and then I can mix it up and stuff without sending Jill too Kitty Santas

or

2. allow myself to purchase only like 3 sets each year for Christmas and then make all cards with those, then sell them and start over.

Obviously phrase sets don't count. (well maybe that's not obvious, but now that I stated it I'm sure it's clear)

Brian (DH) and my BCBW friends are all like, "As long as it's a different design it's fine to repeat the images." I find that shocking. I mean REALLY?? Wouldn't Jill think, "Man, Erin has like ONE stamp or something? Why does she keep sending me this Kitty Santa stuff?"

Or more horrifying, "Wow Erin really didn't think about me too much to not remember she sent me two similar cards, what's wrong with her?"

So what do you do? Am I being WAY too OCD about this?

ps I have this problem with Halloween, Easter, and Birthdays too. Not new baby though, I figure moms have so much on their minds they forget cards I send.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One question - do YOU remember each card someone sends you for Christmas? (I certainly don't). So, do you think they actually remember what card you sent them last year? Sounds like you're putting stress on yourself that's not needed, especially at this time of year. Have a good week :>)

Wanda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

see I thought about that, but most of the people on my list ONLY get handmade cards from me, and they keep them and stuff...

I'm sure I'm overreacting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2007, 04:58 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Take a deeeeeeeeeeep breath. Breathe.........
lol

This is supposed to be fun, right?

This year I got a few Winter/Christmas sets, and use a mixture of all of them on my cards. Last year I did the same card for everyone and had to get rid of the stamps altogether cause I couldn't stand to look at them. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2007, 05:02 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

I have a similar rationalization so that I can buy more holiday stamps this year!

I think that you should keep an excel sheet/log - that wouldn't be too hard. I think it would be harder to limit yourself to 3 sets. There are so many cute sets out there....

However, it's ok to repeat images -- you probably have new techniques, embellishments, etc to make it different enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2007, 05:12 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I only send out about 4-5 cards per year (for family), but if I were you, I'd just go with the log-book idea.

Olivia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2007, 05:14 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Erin K;7567828]So what do you do? Am I being WAY too OCD about this?QUOTE]

From the "it takes one to know one" school of thought- yes, you are being too OCD, lol!;)

I have been through several years where no one got Christmas cards because I cannot, I mean I CANNOT, mail any until they are all completely finished, signed, addressed, stamped (USPS)- everything!

This year I am, yes I AM, going to send them out as they are ready. If the folks at the end of the alphabet don't get any this year, well, I will start there next year.

So, make whatever card suits your fancy, and don't worry about it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2007, 05:19 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

The log works wonderful for me. I have been keeping one about four year
Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2007, 05:23 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh and on the log book I figure I can get one of those cool log books from the office store and then I will feel all official and all, that has some appeal in itself...

HEY I could stamp the stamps on the page then write right over them and put the names! That would be cool...

I'm leaning towards log book.

DH keeps yelling at me, "Erin, no one cares if they get the same images, just do whatever you want"

Um... what I WANT is to buy 10 new stamp sets each season and use them then buy all new ones every year, doesn't he understand that??? teeheehee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2007, 05:36 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

You know Erin- a christmas log book probably wouldn't be THAT hard- an "every card I ever send" one might.

I know I keep a muli-year log of who I sent cards to and who I recieved them from. It shouldn't be too hard to add a column that just says "set used" to it. (except I don't make cards).

But I think as long as the design was new- the set wouldn't matter. Especially considering each set has 4-5 stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2007, 05:41 PM   #11  
Chat Box Chicks Princess

What about medication??? I had some women offering me Zoloft on here the other day!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2007, 05:48 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
Oh and on the log book I figure I can get one of those cool log books from the office store and then I will feel all official and all, that has some appeal in itself...

HEY I could stamp the stamps on the page then write right over them and put the names! That would be cool...

I'm leaning towards log book.

DH keeps yelling at me, "Erin, no one cares if they get the same images, just do whatever you want"

Um... what I WANT is to buy 10 new stamp sets each season and use them then buy all new ones every year, doesn't he understand that??? teeheehee

i LOVE organization!!!

this sounds like an excellent idea... i say do this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2007, 06:13 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Okay I am one of those people where keeping a log would still be too much for me to do simply because of the time of year. What I do every year is get one religious set and one non-religious set. Than I do not sell those sets, but rotate them once every 2 - 3 years, that way people have a chance to forget about them and I don't have to part with them. I'm serious, I don't think I could even part with my $1.00 Michaels stamps.

www.NicoleEBecker.myctmh.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Each year I get 2 new Christmas stamps sets. That way every year it is fun for me to use a new set and they all get new Christmas cards and I do not have to worry about sending the same one out again. I do use the "old" sets to make my christmas decorations and tags for presents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

a) I keep all the cards I receive for christmas, birthday, anything.... I'd know! YOU ARE NOT OVERLY OCD! (but then if you ask anyone I know they'd tell you I sort my m&m's before eating them and that I'm not a good judge!)

b) make ONE card - send it to everyone (boring I know)

problem solved!

p.s. you can still buy 3 or 4 new stamps each year.... buying stamps and using them are not necessarily related to each other!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2007, 07:59 PM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Brian (DH) and my BCBW friends are all like, "As long as it's a different design it's fine to repeat the images." I find that shocking. I mean REALLY?? Wouldn't Jill think, "Man, Erin has like ONE stamp or something? Why does she keep sending me this Kitty Santa stuff?"

Or more horrifying, "Wow Erin really didn't think about me too much to not remember she sent me two similar cards, what's wrong with her?"
Jill would think, "Wow, Erin is so creative and organised to make and send out a super Christmas card to me every year! I really appreciate that she thinks about me and remembers to send me one of her special cards!"

Your friends and family love and respect you! That will never change no matter how many stamps you use on your cards to them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I know it's a bit off topic, but I just had to share....
Last Christmas I handmade about 50 cards, using a variety of techniques and stamps, and I really had a great time. I then promptly forgot about mailing them until about December 17 or so (they were finished in November, and I didn't want to send them too early).
Christmas Day comes around, and I was at my brother and sis-in-law's for dinner. I had made a card using shrink plastic and was quite proud of how it turned out. My mom commented on the card, and then my brother says, "But what Jen said inside is way more special to me...."
So I start thinking: what DID I write? He pulled the card off the mantle, and says "Jen, why don't you read it to them?"
I open the card....
IT IS TOTALLY BLANK!
I never even signed it.

So, Erin, I'm not so worried about repeated designs.

I'm just wondering exactly how many of the 50 cards I mailed out, totally blank...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 03:45 AM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappy knitterView Post
Last Christmas I handmade about 50 cards, using a variety of techniques and stamps, and I really had a great time. I then promptly forgot about mailing them until about December 17 or so (they were finished in November, and I didn't want to send them too early).
Christmas Day comes around, and I was at my brother and sis-in-law's for dinner. I had made a card using shrink plastic and was quite proud of how it turned out. My mom commented on the card, and then my brother says, "But what Jen said inside is way more special to me...."
So I start thinking: what DID I write? He pulled the card off the mantle, and says "Jen, why don't you read it to them?"
I open the card....
IT IS TOTALLY BLANK!
I never even signed it.

I'm just wondering exactly how many of the 50 cards I mailed out, totally blank...

OMGosh, this is toooo funny! There's a great lesson in this story. Thank you so much for starting my Monday with a really good "reality check" laugh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 03:55 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Okay, I am so not OCD, so maybe i am not trained to answer your question, but here goes.....
I think for a very organized person, the excel spread sheet would be a great idea, but really only for Christmas. I keep hand made cards that were given to me too, but that doesn't mean I pull them out and look at them all the time, so I don't think it is really much of an issue, but if that would make you feel better that go for it!
I personally, say buy more stamp sets!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 03:56 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappy knitterView Post
I open the card....
IT IS TOTALLY BLANK!
I never even signed it.

That is hilarious!!!!
My brothers would be lucky if they got a handmade card from me on Christmas, cuz they just don't appreciate it, so they get the funny Hallmark ones from me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 04:52 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

You could just make one extra card of each design and write inside who you sent that card to. Then you could re-use the sets and not worry about sending it twice to someone. Maybe easier than a log book, plus you'll have the layouts/color combos to reuse again for other cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 05:00 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3boysstampin'View Post
You could just make one extra card of each design and write inside who you sent that card to. Then you could re-use the sets and not worry about sending it twice to someone. Maybe easier than a log book, plus you'll have the layouts/color combos to reuse again for other cards.

I like this idea!!! This way you have a sample of the card as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 05:23 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks to everyone! I'm still not sure what I'll do but I will either do a log of some sort or limit myself.

I'm leaning towards the log because right now I have like 30 different Christmas card ideas and I'd hate to have to get rid of all that. I mean I have a flamingo decorating a Christmas tree! That's stamping gold as far as I'm concerned!

Anyhow I'm still deciding, but I really appreciate the kind comments and advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 05:52 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

If you use different designs I wouldn't worry about using the same stamps. I have some ideas for Christmas cards for this year and none of them are like the ones I made last year. Hadn't worried about who got what. hmmm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 05:58 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

My Christmas cards, I only make one design per year - about 50 cards. No log book needed.

Now, all my other cards, I scan into my computer, label them, keep track of sentiments (not just for me, but for people I sell cards to...) in a file (will have to think about redesigning that to be a spread sheet!).

We all do what we can for OCD!

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 06:02 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Another thing to consider is, maybe they would actually enjoy getting two of the same designs/images from you?? I was going over my "cards received" folders and came across the one from my aunt. I found out that she had sent me two (not handmade) cards with the same design on it (but not two years in a row)! I enjoyed both of them and laughed that it took several additional years for me to go through cards she had sent before I discovered it. It did not make me think that she thought so little of me, etc. etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 06:20 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

I'm not very organized, actually, I could use some organization in my life. I have a notebook that I keep, and make a page for each month. I put down what cards I want to make, and check off and put a note, such as boat card, butterfly, birthday cake, so I don't send the same cards to people year after year. For Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, I send the same card to everyone on the list, and just write down which set and the colors. I would never be able to keep track of which holiday cards I sent to which people. The only variation I have is if I know people are non-religious or religious.
I will admit that after making 100+ of the same design, I get bored. It goes faster once I have my idea and sample card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 06:23 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3boysstampin'View Post
I second this idea, actually, I guess I third this idea....

Last edited by cmg.sweet; 10-29-2007 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: didn't read all comments first
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 06:25 AM   #29  
New Mommy

Received 140 Likes on 98 Posts

Heehee -- I think you sound perfectly normal!

I have the *CUTEST* stamp that I'm so in love with and it was perfect for so many people on my card list, but I don't want to use it again this year because, like you said, they might think I only own ONE Christmas stamp!!!

I think the log book rules!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 06:27 AM   #30  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Thanks to everyone! I'm still not sure what I'll do but I will either do a log of some sort or limit myself.

I'm leaning towards the log because right now I have like 30 different Christmas card ideas and I'd hate to have to get rid of all that. I mean I have a flamingo decorating a Christmas tree! That's stamping gold as far as I'm concerned!

Anyhow I'm still deciding, but I really appreciate the kind comments and advice!

Erin - I don't consider myself OCD at ALL, however, I have friends that would disagree I'm sure

I make and send only one design.
I limit my holiday/seasonal stamps, and will use sets from previous years if I have a totally new design.

I would be mortified if I sent the same card to someone two years in a row (and, I would notice, so I have to assume my friends would too!). I have friends that save my cards from year to year and even put them out every year.

And, there's just no way I could keep up with a list (not because I don't list, and spreadsheet everything!) but it is just too much work with all the rest of the craziness at the holidays -- I know my limitations -- I'd never get the list completed, and my cards would be late.

I hope you find a method that works for you.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:36 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

I have a word file with everyone's addresses formatted for address labels (so I don't have to write them all out). Each year I update and add/delete as needed, and then I always print out a copy on regular typing paper and jot down the sets I used on each person's card. For you, to make it even easier, I woud photo the different card designs, save them in to a file labeled with Christmas Cards XXXX (where XXXX stands for the current year) and give each one a one-word description. Then just write that one word on the mailing list next to the person's name. Next year you will be able to easily see what you sent to each person and you can just rotate the sets you own without having to buy new ones (unless, of course, you want new stamps).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 07:01 AM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

alright, just call me dull and boring. But that is why I only make one design and send it out to everyone. (well, I might make something different for my mom). I actually LIKE making a lot of one style of cards, becuase I get everything cut up, and I take a stack/inkpad/markers...whatever...and get that stack done while I'm sitting at the eye doctor or carpool line. I know, I'm boring. I do make about 10 cards though...so that I pick my very favorite design for the year! I find a lot of people save my cards...now that's scary!

I tend to make cards that are very detailed/intricate. I know...I need to learn how to post them on here...my New Year's Resolution? (I'm so computer illiterate...and I don't own a working camera - since "Not Me" broke it). I am amazed with the power of these cards. Not that I'm that good, because I'm not, and most of my "good" ideas are cased from the SCS gallery. But generally I always get comments back from recipients....one lady was so touched by the beauty and time that I took to send her a caring message, that she returned to church (she had quit going, due to hard feelings). Telling and showing people you care, is very powerful. Cards have been a great medium for me.

I do my generic, but very special card to everyone at Christmas. Then throughout the year, I try to send the "one of a kind" creations.

enjoy, don't let stress remove your fun!
kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 07:03 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Hi! I have a solution to your problem!! Send me all your old Christmas stamp sets and buy all new ones and ....... Problem solved!!! lol
I am addicted to Christmas themed stamps!! or for that matter ANYTHING Christmas themed! Paper, ribbon.... whatever.... and its sad cause you can only use it one time a year!!
I usually make one design and send to everyone... this year I started in June trying to come up with my design and before I knew it I had 10 different cards made without deciding on a design, so, I thought, why not just keep making cards and by Christmas I would have enough to send all different ones... I am now up to about 75 or 80.... now the problem is... WHO gets WHAT card???
Its always something!!!!!!
God bless
Nyoka
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 08:31 AM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

First of all, the story about sending a blank card - hilarious! This is totally something that could happen to me. I did give my mom a card that had a fold on the right side when I was younger. When I discovered this, I had already spent like two hours drawing and coloring, so I decided I'd live with my mistake.

That being said, while I don't mind that a person might get the same stamped image two years in a row (good stamp selling argument: look how many different looks you can achieve with one stamp set!), I do keep a log of what I've sent to remember what I've sent to which person when they ask questions! I've had a few "wow, how did you make that sparkly thingie?" and I couldn't remember what the "thingie" I had put on their card was (I don't do a single design, I make Christmas cards throughout the year and use what I have on hand come December).

A written log as quite time-consuming, even in an Excel spreadsheet, and I had the added problem of trying to describe the card in so many words: "Snow Flurries with sparkly thingie hanging from purple ribbon with yarn" and it ended up not always being clear.

A picture's worth a thousand words and since I take picture of all of my cards to post in my gallery anyway, what I did is that I created a folder called "Sent cards" and I duplicate the picture of that card and file it in that folder. I rename the picture something like "Uncle Frank birthday 2007" and there you go! If I want to remember if I've already done the golf theme card for Uncle Frank in the past, I just refer to those pictures.

You could do the same thing with your Christmas cards. It'd be quick and it'd ease your mind. And you can keep buying new cute stamp sets - you just wouldn't have to sell the old ones anymore! ;)

Hope that helps!
Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 09:33 AM   #35  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

p.s. you can still buy 3 or 4 new stamps each year.... buying stamps and using them are not necessarily related to each other!
ROFL - that's my philosphy exactly!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 10:04 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok, here is my snazzy plan, sorta of a compilation of everyone's suggestions with my own crazy spin.

Starting this year:

When I pull a set or stamp or whatever to work with I will stamp it on a page in a notebook (have several sitting around, I'm the queen of starting a journal for 4 pages then forgetting about it) then I will list the name of the people I make with that set.

Then when I make cards next year if I want to use the Kitty Santa again I will go to that page and see that "Jill" has already gotten one, but "Reece" hasn't so I will make Reece a Kitty Santa and Jill a Happy Snowman.

This way I can continue to use my extensive collection of stamps without repeats.

And it will fill up and look cool like some cool old timey account book or something and have a cool ephemera feel to it when my grandchildren find it in 100 years.

for the record I do not know anyone named Jill. :( If your name is Jill and you want a Kitty Santa card PM me your address, I have one for you! teeheehee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 11:09 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your plan sounds good. Sure beats limiting your stamp buying.

I use a "cryptic" version of what you've proposed: I write out my entire Christmas card list then put a code next to each person's name. (Write the code key on your page or you won't remember what it stands for!) S-KS means I sent that person a stamped, kitty santa card. SB means I sent a store-bought card (gasp, for relatives I don't care as much for. . .)

My name isn't Jill (my sister's is though) but I would love a kitty santa card. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 12:16 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

OK deep breath. A little OCD goin on here. So here is a remidy. up load your cards to split coast. title them
xmas 07#1, xmas 07#2 etc and then have a pattern on who gets what. ok hubbys side gets xmas 07#1 my side Gets #2, friends get # 3 Business aquaintences get #4 and stick to the pattern so next year when you look oh yes all of hubbys family got # 1 which is kitty stamp so next year #1 will be puppy stamp which you used for your family. and next year hubby # 1 is the fishy stamp which the business aquaintances got in 07. ok ok i am done off the soap box chow good luck. and if you choose to buy 10 different ones good for you it will increase your sales and is a write off
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 12:16 PM   #39  
KLF
Kookie Creator

I save all my Christmas cards from one year to make my list for the following year. I began to notice that I got the same card (store-bought) from an elderly relative year, after year, after year, after year, after year..... I just figured that she had found a bargain on cards one time since she was on a fixed income. The fact that she sent me the card was the point, not the design. Relax.
Having said that, though, I decided to note which card I send to everyone this year since I've been "investing" in new stuff every Christmas for years. I made an altered composition book to keep all my Christmas organizational stuff in, so I'm prepared! (Fee, maybe I should have bought a new set to make that.)
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2007, 02:18 PM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Well it is a dilemma but not to worry. Even if you use the same stamp you can make it look totally different. I mean aren't we supposed to be able to make thousands of "different" cards with one stamp set?

Every year I make one card for everyone on our list and then I make one card for our Christmas family scrapbook. It is fun to look back through the years and see the card and family picture we sent out. Then I journal the big high lights of that year. Just an idea.

I think you should just have fun with this hobby-and don't get stressed out yet, its not even November:mrgreen:

Reply With Quote Likes