Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-18-2005, 10:29 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! I am going to get fired....

if I keep spending all of my time here at work on SCS!!! I hope we don't have someone on staff that monitors the Internet activity and non-work related sites!! I'd be in big trouble. I don't know how I am getting any work done around here.

Any-hoo, my goal, starting as soon as I post this thread is to not log on until tomorrow night at home. I'll let you know if I make it.

AUGGHHH......
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 10:36 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Log off! Log off!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 10:45 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsboughton
if I keep spending all of my time here at work on SCS!!! I hope we don't have someone on staff that monitors the Internet activity and non-work related sites!! I'd be in big trouble. I don't know how I am getting any work done around here.

Any-hoo, my goal, starting as soon as I post this thread is to not log on until tomorrow night at home. I'll let you know if I make it.

AUGGHHH......
Well, I'm not going to get fired, but I sure don't seem to be getting much done at home--like house work, so I may have to fire myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 12:37 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Default I hate to admit this.......

but ME TOO!!!!! I just can't help myself! Did you hear the news a couple weeks ago that said Americans waste 2 hrs a day at work. Guess we know where we waste it. HERE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2005, 12:39 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Only an average of 2 hours a day?! That's not too bad in my opinion! I would have thought we all wasted more time than that. I know the people I had working for me when I ran a business sure did. ;) But, then again, so did I...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2005, 04:43 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Default I DID IT!

I don't know how I did it, but I managed to stay off of SCS all day today while at work (I did peek at one PM that I got, but that was it!). Yea! I actually got some work done but I was having serious withdrawals. My little mouse pointer kept hovering over the internet button but I was strong!

Now back to the good stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2005, 04:51 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally understand! I spend WAY too much time here -- I'm a stay at home mom and NOTHING is getting done here! Not even stamping or scrapbooking... unfortunately. I just can't seem to walk past the computer without checking out what's going on. Are you fairly new here like me? Maybe the novelty will wear off...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2005, 06:36 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's going to be a difficult adjustment going back to school in another week, but when I'm at work I should be working. I'd never think to spend time on SCS when I should be teaching or during my planning hour. I think I've looked twice during a lunch period.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2005, 07:15 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

OK, please don't flame me, but I read this post and some of the related ones below. You guys are scaring me, and you should be legitimately worried about your jobs. You do realize, don't you, that when you spend most of your work time playing on the computer, it is stealing. You are stealing productivity from your employer - no different than stealing supplies from a store.

In a related post, someone said she is always sure to remove cookies and any trail of where she's been on the internet. Sorry, too late. Let me be very clear on this: if you work for a large corporation (and probably many small ones), where you've been has already been recorded and can be printed out and handed to you by your IT department, including date, time, what sites you visited, and duration spent there. It could be handed to you during your exit interview just before they remove your ID and walk you to the parking lot.

I spent the last two years of my career as the Ethics Officer for a large corporation and the most common problem we dealt with was misuse of computers and internet. . . and yes, we walked people to the parking lot on more than one occasion. Some were short term employees, and some were very long term employees. And more than one cried and begged for a second chance - and these were men.

We trained current employees, and then new people the minute they were hired and made no secret of the rules, but people still believe they can cover their tracks. Well, in this age of technology, you cannot cover your tracks. That goes for e-mail, too, so be advised. E-mail that you send and receive on a company-owned computer is the property of the company. It is stored and can be retrieved in the event of an investigation. Those off-color e-mails and naked pictures that get sailed around the company can be pretty embarrasing when they are handed to you in front of your boss, HR, and the Security guy.

If you value your paycheck, please do yourselves a big favor and confine your personal e-time to your home. Take the high road and set an example for your fellow employees and your children. You will sleep better at night, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2005, 10:42 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Pixie's right. You don't want to jeopardize your job. How are you going to buy more SU stuff, if you get fired?
Most companies monitor everything.
Instead, I go on the forum in the evening but the problem is that I don't get to bed until 1 or 2 in the morning...yawn!

http://sailingwithscissors.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2005, 06:31 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I try to limit the time I spend on personal stuff at work. If it is something that is going to take me 5 minutes, I don't feel bad. My work isn't hourly so I don't feel bad if I take a little time here or there but I don't download things at work.

If you are hourly definitely don't over do it and try to find out what the company policy is. Some places don't mind an occasional personal email or web browse others strictly forbid any personal stuff. Make sure you aren't jeopardizing your job!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2005, 07:04 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Thumbs up

Amen to Pixie.
I'm floored by how many people are on various websites I post on while they're at work. I'd love to know how they get any work done, and don't get in trouble.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2005, 08:36 AM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Logging on at Work

I am a teacher, like one of the other ladies who responded. I have just discovered this over the summer, but I will be sure not to go on at work. I wondered from what the ethics officer said, however: I sometimes use my yahoo to email parents. If I send an email, then walk away to teach a class for an hour, or maybe I don't even come back to the computer for 5 hours, will the company think that I have been on my email for 5 hours?
On the other hand, if I am on SCS for 5 hours staight, can they tell if I have been active, or if I logged on and walked away? Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Likes