Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-09-2012, 03:20 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 211 Likes on 190 Posts
Default HELP...To Blog or Not

OK ladies......

I am not committing to anything but I still would like some info if you have the time to share. I get asked at least 3x's a week, if I have a blog. As you may know, I don't have one.

So....(hypothetically of course) if I wanted to start a blog...what do I do?? Now please understand that I am not a computer savvy person at all!!! NOT at all. Setting up and starting a blog seems so intimidating and overwhelming to me. Is it free?? What do I do if I run into problems.

Also I would like some pros and cons to having one....I just don't know if I really want to have to maintain a blog or if I have the extra time to give this the attention it will need. How did you start yours??

AACCKK....any help or opinions are most welcome and thanks!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 03:59 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No help to offer, but subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 04:01 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just go to blogspot or wordpress and create one!! The website walks you through step by step. I say "go for it" ... this from a person who hasn't updated her blog in almost a year. I think I need to get on the ball!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 04:04 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi Karen, I've always enjoyed your posts and your work is just gorgeous! I'm also originally from Ontario, but now live in Abu Dhabi, which is why I started a blog recently. I really only want to share stories with my family, so I found Facebook not quite right, and individual emails to everyone was just not feasible. So I had a specific reason for starting it: to document those funny stories that I normally would have forgotten by the time I called family back home, and as a side benefit I will have a record of life here.

I would suggest to you that you clarify your reasons for having a blog. If it is important to you to have a large following, and perhaps have your blog generate some income, then it will require a fair amount of upkeep. People look for fresh material frequently and if you don't provide it, you will lose your following. I'm sure you'd start with a great following based on your SCS presence!

If however, you want a space to share your thoughts and work, and don't really care about who is paying attention, you can be more flexible with how often you post.

Once you decide to go ahead, there are several options available to you. I wanted something really simple and free, so I chose to use Blogger. I needed a gmail account and that's it. The site is user friendly with a good choice of options for your look. If you do a search for Free blogs, you'll come up with a lot more options.

Best of luck, and if you do start one, please let us know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Karen,

you can create a blog for free at www.blogger.com
There are other free blog websites but I personally prefer blogger. They are really easy to keep up to date especially if you are a regular card maker anyway. Whenever you have something new to to share you just click on "New Post". Uploading photos is very easy too.

I don't really know any pros and cons. I've had my blog since the end of 2008. Love having it, I don't post every day because I don't have that much time for card making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

That's a big step, Karen. Good for you.

As others have already posted, I would also suggest that you check out Blogger. I went another route with a Wordpress blog hosted on my own server. It worked out okay in the end, but it wasn't easy getting there. If I had it to do over again, I would have started on Blogger and stayed there.

With Blogger, you can experiment and keep your test pages private until you're ready to launch it. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Blogger & WordPress make it really easy to create a blog. You simply sign up, pick a username, and that becomes your URL (link). Then they have tons of templates you can choose from to customize and pretty your blog up.

After that, it's up to you how often you post and what else you want to do with it! I've made TONS of friends through my blog that I otherwise wouldn't have. I think it's a great outlet to have. Plus it lets you explain things a little more than you can in a gallery upload.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for asking this question Karen. I am not computer friendly either and hesitate to get myself into something I know absolutely NOTHING about. The technical world out there is rather frightening considering I am still a pencil and paper kinda gal! LOL I have at one time or another considered trying to be on a design team but it seems that having a blog is high on their list of priorities. I will be following the advice of all these wise ladies and who knows..I might meet you in 'Blog-land'. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 361 Likes on 187 Posts

Karen, I guess you and I are in the minority without blogs. I'm sure you'd have a great following knowing the kind of presence you have here on SCS. I have a full time job so I want to keep any free time for actual stamping and I post here. If I wanted to participate on design teams, etc. I'd have a reason to start a blog. I think there is an unwritten expectation for bloggers to update regularly and that is what keeps me away. Good luck and let us know so we can visit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I am making one up now on blogger. I am just getting started, and so far it has been a lot of fun planning it. The name, and design etc. I want to have a blog to share what I make and meet like minded crafty people. I just am doing this for a hobby, so I don't have big expectations. Hoping to have it up in a few weeks. I wish you the best whatever you decide to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 01:57 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried blogger and am not a fan at all, but it is free!!

I love typepad. blogging is fine but it can start to feel like an assignment. So don't go there!!

ps. love your work and specifically checked the other day to see if you had a blog! Hope you start one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 02:53 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am definitely showing my ignorance. What is typepad?

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 03:04 AM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 592 Likes on 243 Posts

I tried to start a blog though Apple i-life but by the end of page two, I was frustrated and gave up. Maybe I will give typepad a whirl. I think it would be fun to have a blog, to post stuff and chat about stuff, even if no one visits it. If you think of it as yet another creative outlet and not a business builder, there would be no pressure about constantly having to update.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 03:08 AM   #14  

Thanks so much everyone....I am really gathering so much info to help me along the way...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 03:41 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

typepad is a service to use to create and manage blogs. Free Blogs, Pro Blogs, & Business Blogs | TypePad

You have to pay for it, but I do not like commenting on blogger blogs and I found placing and adjusting the size of photos in blogger to be difficult. I am not computer savvy and there are, I am sure, many tricks to using blogger that would eliminate my difficulties.

I originally switched to typepad because way back blogger would not let you block a specific commenter .... or pre schedule posts. But blogger has those features now (I think).

The nice thing is that you can try blogger and if you like it make your blog go public. I pay about $90 a year for typepad and that is pricey (but I'm worth it!!)

ps. there may also be an option for free typepad but I'm not familiar with it. good luck

Last edited by Joan B; 02-10-2012 at 03:41 AM.. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 04:38 AM   #16  

I use Typepad as well. I tried the free ones but they were beyond my tech skills. When I first started my blog it was $4.99 per month but I've upgraded as my business changed. It was nice to be able to add the features/services I needed and not have to start a whole new blog.

If you post online anyway, I think it's a good idea to have a blog. Even if it's just a personal gallery of your work and you rarely post. You don't have to write a novel with each post. I like keeping my writing to a minimum so people can just scroll through and see lots of pics.

If you want to maintain a following then you do have to post regularly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #17  

Received 812 Likes on 332 Posts

I'm a Blogger girl all the way :p

I love it! I've made lots of friends online, and through those connections, I've been exposed to so much talent. I love seeing what others are making, how they organize things, and how they are using various products. I enjoy writing as well, so I post life/humor stories occasionally as well as tutorials and projects that I've done.

I honestly can not think of a "con" just pros! You can post as often or as seldom as you wish.

Blogger is totally free and very user friendly. If you can read, you can do it. They DO now allow you to block people from commenting, you can even chose not to allow people to comment at all if you wish. I have the function turned on that alerts me by email when a comment has come in. I read it, and if I approve, I click a box and only then it is posted to my Blog. There are so many options you can choose from and all you have to do is click and it's done. I follow several blogs that write very little, they mainly post their work. Others, like me, do both post work and write. Some write and post no work. It is all up to you.

Blogger also allows you to choose and click on various backgrounds, and formats if you like. I personally did not care for Typepad. I certainly don't want to pay a fee if I can get the same service for free, and I like all the options available in Blogger. If I choose to add a certain function, all I do is click. For example, after seeing some friends with calendars on their blogs, I thought I'd like that feature as well. It was very simple and I use it a lot. Last week I decided I wanted to add a sort of Table of Contents so I went to the Blogger help section and found it was called "labels." There were very simple directions, and after a few clicks, I had my table of contents. I also chose to display the people who follow me, my favorite links, and blogs that I follow, as well as some favorite quotes.

I found that by displaying my followers and the blogs I follow, it really enhanced my ability to meet more online friends and to attract more followers. The beauty of Blogger is that you don't have to do ANY OF THAT if you don't want to. You can make your blog as simple or as complex as you like.

Wonder if I should charge Blogger for advertising for them? lol;)

Last edited by sc magnolia; 02-10-2012 at 07:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

I have a blog, I don't update it as I'd like but I am keeping it in hopes to one day post more often. I started out on blogger and switched to wordpress. I like it better. They walk you through all the steps and it really isn't bad at all!

You should do it!

My Blog- A work in progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #19  
Ted
Kookie Creator

Hi Karen,

I'm not a lady, but I just wanted to encourage you to try it out. It's not hard at all and it is actually quite fun. No need to place any type of commitment on yourself. Blog when you want, don't blog when you don't want.

One neat factor is that you can look back over time to see how you've grown as a crafter.

So take the plunge! I did create a video tutorial on how to make a blog with Blogger on YouTube, but I fear that it may be dated.

Best of luck to you!

Inkterior Design - Thanks for checking out my blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
I'm a Blogger girl all the way :p

I love it! I've made lots of friends online, and through those connections, I've been exposed to so much talent. I love seeing what others are making, how they organize things, and how they are using various products. I enjoy writing as well, so I post life/humor stories occasionally as well as tutorials and projects that I've done.

I honestly can not think of a "con" just pros! You can post as often or as seldom as you wish.

Blogger is totally free and very user friendly. If you can read, you can do it. They DO now allow you to block people from commenting, you can even chose not to allow people to comment at all if you wish. I have the function turned on that alerts me by email when a comment has come in. I read it, and if I approve, I click a box and only then it is posted to my Blog. There are so many options you can choose from and all you have to do is click and it's done. I follow several blogs that write very little, they mainly post their work. Others, like me, do both post work and write. Some write and post no work. It is all up to you.

Blogger also allows you to choose and click on various backgrounds, and formats if you like. I personally did not care for Typepad. I certainly don't want to pay a fee if I can get the same service for free, and I like all the options available in Blogger. If I choose to add a certain function, all I do is click. For example, after seeing some friends with calendars on their blogs, I thought I'd like that feature as well. It was very simple and I use it a lot. Last week I decided I wanted to add a sort of Table of Contents so I went to the Blogger help section and found it was called "labels." There were very simple directions, and after a few clicks, I had my table of contents. I also chose to display the people who follow me, my favorite links, and blogs that I follow, as well as some favorite quotes.

I found that by displaying my followers and the blogs I follow, it really enhanced my ability to meet more online friends and to attract more followers. The beauty of Blogger is that you don't have to do ANY OF THAT if you don't want to. You can make your blog as simple or as complex as you like.

Wonder if I should charge Blogger for advertising for them? lol;)
I'm a 'blogger' lover too...have never had any problems. I pre-post all the time (often as much as one month in advance). I'm far from being a computer whiz, and so far, I've been able to handle any addtions and changes I've wanted.

Last edited by craftdesigns; 02-10-2012 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #21  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eeeeep!!!! Karen, starting a blog!?!??!?!?! Dream come true!!! Sign me up!!!!

Karen, creating a blog in blogger is easy, free, and extremely customizable. If I could do it before the updates made it even easier, you can.

Just a few things I would recommend. First, do it for fun. Second, listen to Joan and don't let it become homework. Three, have fun. Four, fun, fun, fun, fun.

I fear I've been repetitive, but seriously, as long as you're having fun, it's absolutely worth it.

I can't wait to see what you come up with!!! ((((hugs))))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #22  

Oh, we forgot to tell you that there is no need to resize your photos either. Blogger does that for you. I think that was added in the upgrades.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #23  

wow....thanks so much...you are really nudging me!!...checking it all out...

hi Ted...thanks for your comments...didn't mean not to include the guys here!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 04:10 AM   #24  

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
Eeeeep!!!! Karen, starting a blog!?!??!?!?! Dream come true!!! Sign me up!!!!

Karen, creating a blog in blogger is easy, free, and extremely customizable. If I could do it before the updates made it even easier, you can.

Just a few things I would recommend. First, do it for fun. Second, listen to Joan and don't let it become homework. Three, have fun. Four, fun, fun, fun, fun.

I fear I've been repetitive, but seriously, as long as you're having fun, it's absolutely worth it.

I can't wait to see what you come up with!!! ((((hugs))))

giggle...thanks Susan..you are too sweet!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 04:33 AM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

I have used wordpress and blogger and I think the blogger is much easier. It is a few year though since I used wordpress. I really like how the blogger has made it easy to make a blog. When I started you had to understand html but now you are just leaded step by step. I also LOVE to visit blogs and see others work and how they are made. So please start blogging ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 06:01 AM   #26  
Ted
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by k dunbrookView Post
wow....thanks so much...you are really nudging me!!...checking it all out...

hi Ted...thanks for your comments...didn't mean not to include the guys here!!
ROFL! It's quite okay, Karen. I've been on crafting forums for years...so I don't get offended. ;) As long as you ladies don't mind me calling you "Dude" from time to time. ;)

I do hope you'll consider entering Blogland. I think you'll find it fun to even just decorate the blog (with various blog template sites, etc. )

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Karen, I love your work whether you share it here on the SCS gallery or on your blog. If you start a blog I will most definitely add your blog to my Google Reader so I'll be sure to catch every update. Thanks for the many inpsirations you have provided.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #28  

I'm so excited....I'm so excited!! I know....for those of you who now have a blog, it is no biggie but
I DID IT!!!!!!!Here is the link to my NEW BLOG.....

Snippets

Honestly can't believe I was able to do it!! Still a work in progress as I really don't understand the 'techie' terms.

Sincere and heartfelt thanks to all of you for all your help, support and push to do this....I am so grateful!!
hugs,
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

What did you do, Karen? Pull an all-nighter? I can't believe how fast you got up and running. Congrats! Looks terrific. Now I bet you're wondering why you waited so long. ;)

Cute name, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #30  
Ted
Kookie Creator

I'm a follower, Karen! Bravo!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #31  

thanks all...you are too kind....
guess I am still in shock that I could do it....I am blonde, after all!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great! Yay, you give me hope and encouragement to give it a whirl one of these days too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #33  

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
Looks great! Yay, you give me hope and encouragement to give it a whirl one of these days too!
I have put it off...intimidated for sure....for yrs. I did some fiddling around but got it right pretty easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #34  

Quote:

Originally Posted by k dunbrookView Post
I have put it off...intimidated for sure....for yrs. I did some fiddling around but got it right pretty easily.
It looks great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Karen! I'm so excited for you! Your blog looks amazing already!! Love your blog header!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2012, 01:45 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

love your blog. tried commenting but could not. ARGH. you are on my google reader though. love the card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2012, 05:23 AM   #37  
Crimping Master

I recently attended a conference and I went to two sessions on social media marketing and how to self publish. I then had a consultation with one of the professionals while there. I am in the process of developing my website now and have an appointment next week to get the website up and running. I will have a landing page, page for relationship counseling information, mediation services info page, and personal financial management page. I also plan to have a blog in this mix and will rotate the topics. I do a lot of work with military and wonder if I should include this as well? How do those of you that have blogs capture visitors email addresses and send them updates?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2012, 05:42 AM   #38  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
love your blog. tried commenting but could not. ARGH. you are on my google reader though. love the card!
thanks so much Joan....I love your blog!!!

I have to try and fix a few things there....it is all so new to me and I don't know computers well. I had to go with the blogger version as I can't afford to spend any more money on this craft gone wild for me....

thanks for all your support all....so very appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2012, 05:50 AM   #39  

I tried to go in and fix the comment problem...hope it works now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

Karen - your blog looks great!

Here are some random Blog tidbits:

*The three most popular Blog sites are: Blogger (Google), Typepad, and Wordpress.

*Post consistently to keep your blog alive.

*Blogging is a key factor for social media, it might be redundant to post and keeping up a Facebook page {depending on the goal of the blog}. I love blogging!

*People have blogs for various reasons like to post their craft creations, diy projects, thrift store finds, personal stuff, etsy shoppe, tutorials, business, etc.

*Blogger is very user-friendly and free to use! {I have three blogs for different things}...

*Blogger does a great job filtering the unwanted SPAM comments.

*There are various {free} sites that offer various {pretty} blog backgrounds. It's simply copying and pasting the HTML codes into the "design/add elements" page.

Reply With Quote Likes