Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello. New and need advice

Hello everyone
I am so excited to have found this site. I am new to this hobby and can do with some guidance.

I would appreciate it if anyone can help me with the basic supplies recommendations. I am mostly interested in card making esp with stamping techniques.

I got a couple of stamps
- background stamp cube with 4 designs
- background handwriting stamp
- wheat plant stamp
- butterfly stamp kit
- flower stamp kit

Along with these I got Memento dyes(the small ones) and Ranger Black Archival Ink pad.

Would love to hear any techniques that I can try with these or any other supply that you think I should invest in right now.

(I have started saving up for embossing powders, inks and heat tool. Maybe in a couple of month I can get them.)

Thanks a ton!!
Aastha
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to SCS, Aastha! And to this fun hobby.

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Do you have cardstock, and a paper trimmer? There are lots of threads here with recommendations for both of those.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Welcome to SCS, Aastha! And to this fun hobby.

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Do you have cardstock, and a paper trimmer? There are lots of threads here with recommendations for both of those.

Hi buggainok,
Thankyou for replying.
Yes. I got those 2 as the first things..
Looking for techniques that will help me make things with just the supplies I have and this site is amazing!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome, Aastha!

Are you in the U.S?
If so, many of us like Michael's Recollection brands #110 cardstock for our card bases. Be sure to buy it with a coupon for a good price. I only recently discovered this product and I have to say it makes a difference in the sturdiness of my cards.

And like Bugga said, you'll need a paper trimmer. I can't give a recommendation on that. I think most of us are still on the holy grail search for the perfect trimmer.

Get a good pair of scissors. I have two favorites: Cutterbees (for "fussy" cutting) and Tim Holtz (for cutting sticky stuff).

Lots of people like the Big Shot and the dies and embossing envelopes that you can get to go with it. I love mine but don't use it very often, mostly because my die / envelope collection is very limited. It's a spendy item so many something to look into next year.

There are a bazillion other items you'll be exposed to on this site, most of which you'll think you just have to have: Copic markers, gelatos, glitter, sequins (I don't have any, don't think I want any) pigment ink, dye ink, watercolors, etc. etc.

I recommend taking a look at the tutorials on this site. They are outstanding. You can find a link at the top of the page. Also, browse the gallery for cards that you like. That way, you can get an idea what techniques and products might suit your interest and skill level.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome! You have plenty of goodies to get started. IMO I'd get some scrap paper first and experiment with your stamps. You can use markers you might already have to color on the stamps and get different colors. Don't be afraid to experiment--there is no wrong way.

One tip I learned: as tempted as you might be, don't go out and buy everything you see on this site! Play around with what you have and see what styles you like first. Otherwise, you'll have a pile of stuff you'll never use (ask me how I know . . .)

Another idea: If you do want to buy something, check the buy/sell forums here first to get things for less money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2015, 12:08 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Jennifer McGuire has a series of videos that include a lot of techniques. You cannot go wrong by watching her!

Jennifer McGuire Ink

There are many many other places to learn techniques. I think that Stampin Up has some awesome videos as well.

Stampin' Up! - Scrapbooking - Tools - Kits

Good luck. Most stampers look back on when they began and wish they had not bought too much at once because their tastes changed.

Sigh. There is so so much out there, it literally pays to slow down.

Enjoy!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2015, 12:35 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 733 Likes on 355 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AasthaView Post
Hi buggainok,
Thankyou for replying.
Yes. I got those 2 as the first things..
Looking for techniques that will help me make things with just the supplies I have and this site is amazing!!
Welcome to SCS!

I am a beginner of sorts-more like a toddler. Another place you will want to get very acquainted with is You Tube. A bazillion tutorials there and all you have to do is type in "how to xxxx"! It's incredible! We also have a tutorial section here you can look at. Ask youtube "how to use dye ink on cards" and you will see a lot. Always say for stamping or on cards or you will get a lot of general craft answers.

I dont see you saying you have a craft mat. Or sentiment stamps. I would get those. Pick a Happy Birthday/Happy Anniversary/Miss You/Get Well....you can do that as singles or possibly in a set. Start with one each. There are TONS of them out there. Definitely get good scissors as said above. Until you start with die cutting, you will have cut your own images out or what we call "fussy cutting".

I would get some daubers b/c you have dye inks. You can sponge those with the daubers onto paper-they like to blend. You can dilute them first and get a watercolor look with a brush. Then stamp with your wheat stamp in black and ta-dah! Look up doing Ombre backgrounds too.

You could do what we call CAS (Clean and simple) where you just stamp an image and a sentiment....look for those here to get a feel for it. Some are very simple and others get more complex. I think there is a gallery just for that. You dont even have to have a sentiment.

Make yourself a cheat sheet so you can keep track of terms, common card sizes, etc. Things can get confusing and overwhelming. Just back up, take a breath, look at your sheet and remind yourself what something is. Trust me, if I am doing this, ANYONE can do this. You just need to learn some basics and then figure out which of many many technique options you like to do. No rule says you have to do them all. You do what you like to do.

ie: Embossing
DRY embossing-with a stylus, a lightbox or an embossing folder (for which you need a press machine-either hand like a big shot or electric)
HEAT embossing which you sound like you know what that is with the powders and the tools.

People tend to just say "I embossed" and you are supposed to look at it and know what they mean.

Just know this: some of this stuff will come easily to you, some of it you will have to practice a lot to get it. Dont get frustrated. Hang in there.

Go slow. Many of us commiserate about falling into "traps"...buying stuff that was on sale, not because we needed it....or just because it was cute....or whatever and suddenly you are surrounded by stuff, half of which you may never have used. It will feel like 10 bucks here or there...but it adds up very fast. Make a wishlist for yourself. Put stuff in there and then check back with it in a couple months and see if you still think you will just die if you dont have it. Often you dont. You may see another one you like even better!

This is a wonderful wonderful hobby. You can do it for many many years and not get bored because new techniques are always coming out or new ways to do old ones. It is like making small art! Very rewarding. Makes you happy, calming...just good feelings. The people are very cool and giving souls. Get ready for a great ride!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My suggestions..sentiment stamps - the 2 I use the most are Happy Birthday and Thinking of You - which can be used for any occasion. The Recollections #110 paper for card bases is beyond wonderful. It is now the only paper I use for bases. It is 12.99 for 100 sheets but with a 50%off coupon it is 6.50. Such a deal! And we all buy stuff that we never use so just be careful. Ask yourself "Do I REALLY need this? Happy stamping...Bobbi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2015, 01:14 PM   #9  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

A lot depends on your tastes, budget and space so I'm just going to post the link to the techniques section of this website. SCS truly is a remarkably wonderful resource!

Handmade Tutorials: Rubber Stamp & Card Making Techniques - Splitcoaststampers

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree with other posters above and add: Graze the gallery to find cards that appeal to you and copy the style using the materials you have. When you say 'kit' do you mean those came with embellishments or ribbons or inks? Another place to get inspiration is Mojo Monday blog. Every Monday they post a card sketch, then many cards will be posted using that inspiration...All Different.
I have been stamping for about 9 years and still don't have one original idea; I always use card sketches. Retro Sketch and many others have great ideas for us.
As you grow in this new hobby, you will find your style, and have great fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2015, 04:40 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh welcome!! Welcome to the black hole that is stamping and the wonderful family that is Splitcoast You are getting some great advice so I won't add to your reading overload except to say you are in the best company anywhere! Ask anything and someone will know the answer and be willing to help. And be prepared to lose lack of all time and suddenly your kids are home, hubby driving in the yard and oooops, no supper ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2015, 07:17 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Welcome to SCS!

ie: Embossing
DRY embossing-with a stylus, a lightbox or an embossing folder (for which you need a press machine-either hand like a big shot or electric)
HEAT embossing which you sound like you know what that is with the powders and the tools.

People tend to just say "I embossed" and you are supposed to look at it and know what they mean.

Thankyou for the tips. I never knew there was dry embossing too. You are right, it can get really confusing initially. I used to think that Big Shot is used to cut shapes out of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2015, 07:19 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
A lot depends on your tastes, budget and space so I'm just going to post the link to the techniques section of this website. SCS truly is a remarkably wonderful resource!

Handmade Tutorials: Rubber Stamp & Card Making Techniques - Splitcoaststampers

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka Linda
Thankyou Tina. I checked it out. This site is like a fairy land for a newbie like me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
I agree with other posters above and add: Graze the gallery to find cards that appeal to you and copy the style using the materials you have. When you say 'kit' do you mean those came with embellishments or ribbons or inks? Another place to get inspiration is Mojo Monday blog. Every Monday they post a card sketch, then many cards will be posted using that inspiration...All Different.
I have been stamping for about 9 years and still don't have one original idea; I always use card sketches. Retro Sketch and many others have great ideas for us.
As you grow in this new hobby, you will find your style, and have great fun!
Hello Harvestmoon,
I think I used the word 'kit' incorrectly. I meant stamp set. :oops:

And thankyou for sharing the Mojo Monday site. It made me feel more comfortable that I can choose an idea and work on it rather than design everything on my own. I easily get overwhelmed when I see such beautiful works of other people. Thankyou for sharing your experience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
Oh welcome!! Welcome to the black hole that is stamping and the wonderful family that is Splitcoast You are getting some great advice so I won't add to your reading overload except to say you are in the best company anywhere! Ask anything and someone will know the answer and be willing to help. And be prepared to lose lack of all time and suddenly your kids are home, hubby driving in the yard and oooops, no supper ;)

Haha. I totally agree with you.. :p
Thanks for the reply. Everyone is great over here. Just till few hours back I was feeling lost and now I just want to get my things out and make something.. Can't wait for the weekend!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
Welcome, Aastha!

Are you in the U.S?
If so, many of us like Michael's Recollection brands #110 cardstock for our card bases. Be sure to buy it with a coupon for a good price. I only recently discovered this product and I have to say it makes a difference in the sturdiness of my cards.

And like Bugga said, you'll need a paper trimmer. I can't give a recommendation on that. I think most of us are still on the holy grail search for the perfect trimmer.

Get a good pair of scissors. I have two favorites: Cutterbees (for "fussy" cutting) and Tim Holtz (for cutting sticky stuff).

Lots of people like the Big Shot and the dies and embossing envelopes that you can get to go with it. I love mine but don't use it very often, mostly because my die / envelope collection is very limited. It's a spendy item so many something to look into next year.

There are a bazillion other items you'll be exposed to on this site, most of which you'll think you just have to have: Copic markers, gelatos, glitter, sequins (I don't have any, don't think I want any) pigment ink, dye ink, watercolors, etc. etc.

I recommend taking a look at the tutorials on this site. They are outstanding. You can find a link at the top of the page. Also, browse the gallery for cards that you like. That way, you can get an idea what techniques and products might suit your interest and skill level.

Thankyou for your suggestions. I found some techniques that I will be able to do with just the supplies that I have.
I had some old drawing sheet pads, using those as cardstock for now. Someone suggested me to get the cardstock available at Target, its called maybe 'Neena - ? (not sure)'. I was told its the cheapest and decent quality cardstock. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2015, 07:44 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Thankyou all for your advice. My husband will be really happy to learn that all of you are advising me to be patient while spending :p I was ignoring him so far but I think I will listen to you guys.

One more question. What kind of stamps do you think a beginner should get (apart from sentiments one). I came across Background stamps, Nature, Flowers, Butterflies. I find alot of pretty stuff but get confused what kinda stamps will be most used in my crafts, especially at the initial stage when I don't have a variety of supplies.
Any tips on how to choose between stamps?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2015, 07:47 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Someone suggested me to get the cardstock available at Target, its called maybe 'Neena - ? (not sure)'. I was told its the cheapest and decent quality cardstock. What do you think?
Not sure what cardstock is available at Target. A lot of people recommend Neenah Classic Crest for coloring with Copic markers but it's not cheap. It runs about $30 for 250 sheets.

I use Georgia-Pacific cardstock from Walmart for coloring. But for card bases I use the Recollections 110# cardstock from Michaels because it is thick and makes a much better base.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2015, 08:13 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Any tips on how to choose between stamps?
Thanks
First off, know that you will make a few bad choices. We all did ... some of us still do. :-) Next, like others have said, start slow. When I first started crafting, I bought as much cheap/clearance stuff as I could afford. It was NOT a good method for accumulating craft items. Here are my suggestions:

Buy only the stamps that you LOVE. There will be tons and tons of stamps that you like but if will make life simpler if you focus on those stamps or stamp sets that you love.

What kind of cards will you make most often? Birthday? Christmas? Hanukkah? Male? Female? Children? Anniversary? Wedding? New Baby?

Sentiments: What kind of message do you want to send? I think everyone needs a good Happy Birthday stamp and a lot of people could use a Merry Christmas. Could you use a Get Well or Happy Hanukkah or I Love You stamp?

I bought a set of Stampin' Up sentiments years ago. I like that they are simple, easy to read and fit inside a couple of my oval punches. This gives me many options for framing the sentiment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2015, 08:25 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

I would start by going to the get together section here splitcoast.
there you will find a thread with stampers in Massachusetts. just jump in and chat.
you will find many right in your area.
by joining the CNY threads-I found 1 friend just 5miles from me.
I now travel throughout NY, nj and pa.stamping w/over a total of over 100.
but you can start meeting for coffee.chat about stamping, etc.
on the threads just state what area you are in.
maybe take a class, at a local store.
welcome~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2015, 05:20 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Like others have said-the tutorials here are a great start. You can make good use of your stamps by trying some of the different folding techniques. Try them using scrap paper (junk mail or printer paper) first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2015, 09:56 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

For card bases and for stamping images I use this cardstock which I buy at Sam's Club. It is 110# weight and I find it quite heavy enough for my cards. It's also nice to stamp images and color with markers. It is a real bargain, which is nice if you are watching your pennies like I do.

You get 250 sheets in the pack for less than $9! Here is a link:

GP - Image Plus, Card Stock Paper, 110 lb., 8-1/2? x 11?, 1 Pack - 250 Sheets - Sam's Club

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2015, 01:48 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Do you have a Hobby Lobby or Michaels near you? You can use their 40% off coupon for one item each day. Most weeks they have this deal. I got my heat gun at 40% off for around $10 and it's worked for years.

Michaels also has great 110# weight card stock packs...Recollections I believe and I've seen them on sale for $1.99. I see other have suggested this!

I learned tons by attending SU classes. (Stampin Up). The demos in my area offer classes with no requirement to buy. Not all demos do that, but it's worth looking into. You might to take a look at at SU's ongoing clearance rack.

Yes, you will never go wrong with birthday and thank you sentiment stamps. I've used mine over and over and over.

I bought very slowly at first.

Good luck and happy stamping.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 10-22-2015 at 02:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #24  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Hi Aastha. This should keep you busy for a while https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+ink+technique
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

Hello,

As others have stated youtube has lots of different tutorials but I just wanted add to check out TheFrugalCrafter on youtube(Lindsay Weirich is great) she has a series called Stamp School with tons of info for us newbies (along with a gang of other helpful videos)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkseTih5Rro (link is to the 1st Stamp Series it called Episode 1 Basic Supplies)

Last edited by Ready..Set..Craft; 11-17-2015 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2015, 03:06 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ready..Set..CraftView Post
Hello,

As others have stated youtube has lots of different tutorials but I just wanted add to check out TheFrugalCrafter on youtube(Lindsay Weirich is great) she has a series called Stamp School with tons of info for us newbies (along with a gang of other helpful videos)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkseTih5Rro (link is to the 1st Stamp Series it called Episode 1 Basic Supplies)
I was going to recommend Lindsay's stamp school also. Wish these videos had been available when I first started stamping. Also check out her other stamping/card making videos. She gives great advice on cheaper substitutes for pricey supplies.

Don't limit yourself to just one stamp company. There's a whole wonderful world of stamps out there. Something for every style, every season, every taste. You'll develop a list of favorite companies as time goes on.

Start out with basic stamps that can be use multiple ways/times. Can you color in the design with markers/colored pencils? Can you stamp multiple images and stack them (3d decopuage)? Can you cut the image apart and use parts of it in a different way? etc.

Welcome to the wonderful world of stamping and SCS.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 669 Likes on 421 Posts

If I had nothing... I would buy one line image or set ( I loved) to see if I liked coloring... and maybe one solid image that needed heat embossed or that could be inked with colored ink and then stamped so it did not need coloring. (most people fall in love with heat embossing the first time they watch that powder melt this will also require an versamark ( or embossing sticky ink pad) and a heat gun.

sentiment's depends on you, are you looking to do your holiday cards? do you want to make birthday cards. ( there are a zillion sets out there that have a variety pack of sentiments to choose from) ( mainly I think it's a cool font that draws you in once you have a few) a simple type writer style sentiment set will go with a lot of different image styles.

you really have to learn what you like before people can say here is this stamp or that stamp... I have a huge collection, and I do use my background stamps but, I have learned that although I can make Clean and Simple cards I tend to lean more towards layers on cards because, when I do something with my photographs I am very much clean and simple so, there are all these really cool things out there, that I would not want to ruin my photographs with and so, I find it fun to use them on cards.
( which I do not look at as something you want to have for a long time they way you hope to pass on your scrapbooks)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2015, 08:13 PM   #28  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the tutorials here on SCS and on jennifermcquireink.com.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 05:49 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
Hi Aastha. This should keep you busy for a while https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+ink+technique
Thankyou for the link! Have already shortlisted a few for the weekend
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 05:52 AM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ready..Set..CraftView Post
Hello,

Thankyou for the advice. I was following her series and had got the Memento dye ink set because she advised them. But later in the series she has been using alot other stuff which I don't have and I kinda felt at loss about how to use the stuff I have. I do check her other videos but have drifted away from her stamp school..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 05:55 AM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by StamperDeaView Post
I was going to recommend Lindsay's stamp school also. Wish these videos had been available when I first started stamping. Also check out her other stamping/card making videos. She gives great advice on cheaper substitutes for pricey supplies.

Don't limit yourself to just one stamp company. There's a whole wonderful world of stamps out there. Something for every style, every season, every taste. You'll develop a list of favorite companies as time goes on.

Start out with basic stamps that can be use multiple ways/times. Can you color in the design with markers/colored pencils? Can you stamp multiple images and stack them (3d decopuage)? Can you cut the image apart and use parts of it in a different way? etc.

Welcome to the wonderful world of stamping and SCS.
Dea
Wow Dea. Thanks for such wonderful ideas. I am intrigued esp by the 3d idea. I remember watching a tutorial about it but it felt way too advanced at that time. Will check it out again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

Welcome to Splitcoast! Everyone has given you such wonderful advice and links and all the rest of it! I just have one thing to throw in: consider WHO you are making things for - yourself? Friends? Family? All of the above? That will help guide you as to which types of stamps you will most likely use. I've seen some absolutely AMAZING stamps that I would love to own, but I can't think of a single reason to actually USE them, so I just leave them well alone... I have plenty of things in my studio waiting their turn already!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 03:06 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Welcome to Splitcoast! Everyone has given you such wonderful advice and links and all the rest of it! I just have one thing to throw in: consider WHO you are making things for - yourself? Friends? Family? All of the above? That will help guide you as to which types of stamps you will most likely use. I've seen some absolutely AMAZING stamps that I would love to own, but I can't think of a single reason to actually USE them, so I just leave them well alone... I have plenty of things in my studio waiting their turn already!
That's an excellent point, Sue. I do have to say that I am a little selfish and consider myself first when I buy stamps. I have to personally like the image or I don't have any fun using it.

I know lots of people are crazy about flowers and trees and love those kinds of stamps. I bought a couple of them, but my heart just wasn't in it, and I had a hard time making cards with them.

I know some people on my card list probably like flowers and more romantic, girly stuff, but they know I like whimsical the best, and that's what they get!

My family and friends that receive my cards seem to understand me, and they say they love the cards I send.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2015, 11:29 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Definitely agree with Bugga & Sue. When I first began stamping I bought lots & lots of Christmas stamps. I bought Folk Art stamps. I bought stamps to make cards for other people. I hated it with a passion. Felt weird and wrong to stamp like that. That was my worst newbie mistake ever.

I started my collection again with stamps I loved. I enjoyed stamping. It didn't feel weird and wrong. I am very selfish when I buy stamps.

Buy the subjects and themes you love now that inspire you. Don't be practical or think about the uses. Think about I love this stamp so much I will use it all the time.

If you used loved stamps while learning new techniques and new skills you won't be pressured trying to find the perfect stamp to match your technique. You can enjoy learning your new techniques.

Hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

Welcome to (what I think is) a fantastic, fulfilling hobby!! My fellow SCS's have given you lots of great advice to get started, and this site will keep you going for years! I have found a sisterhood here for info on products, techniques, what do you think, you name it!!! People aren't judging, rather helpful, and that's what's great about it.

Stamping can be overwhelming with all that is out there, so my advice would be to try to step back at times, not feel you have to have the latest and greatest right away, (wait and see what others are saying about how it performs first, then make your decision). I speak from having bought some useless items in the past!!!

And have fun and enjoy creating - that's the best part!!! Once you've made that piece of art, you can send it out with joy or love, and let it go...... It's such a good feeling of completion and creativity, I love it!! Sometimes I take pictures, other times, I'm so anxious to put it in the envelope for the person to receive it. This is when you find it really is better to give than receive!!!

I've been doing this almost 30 years now, and I still get excited! I hope you find as much fun in this creative process as I have.........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetostamp3View Post
Welcome to (what I think is) a fantastic, fulfilling hobby!! My fellow SCS's have given you lots of great advice to get started, and this site will keep you going for years! I have found a sisterhood here for info on products, techniques, what do you think, you name it!!! People aren't judging, rather helpful, and that's what's great about it.

Stamping can be overwhelming with all that is out there, so my advice would be to try to step back at times, not feel you have to have the latest and greatest right away, (wait and see what others are saying about how it performs first, then make your decision). I speak from having bought some useless items in the past!!!

And have fun and enjoy creating - that's the best part!!! Once you've made that piece of art, you can send it out with joy or love, and let it go...... It's such a good feeling of completion and creativity, I love it!! Sometimes I take pictures, other times, I'm so anxious to put it in the envelope for the person to receive it. This is when you find it really is better to give than receive!!!

I've been doing this almost 30 years now, and I still get excited! I hope you find as much fun in this creative process as I have.........
You are so right! I just mailed my first card and it feels so awesome! The process of making a card no doubt is so fun, but when I mailed it, I am sure the passing by people gave me weird looks when I did a tiny happy dance!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2015, 03:05 PM   #37  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

You are so right! I just mailed my first card and it feels so awesome! The process of making a card no doubt is so fun, but when I mailed it, I am sure the passing by people gave me weird looks when I did a tiny happy dance!!
And that is what it's all about!!!! I'm so excited for you, and grinning ear to ear!! I remember that feeling with my first card, and it continues to happen. I hope you will continue to keep us posted on your progress and how you are doing, we all keep learning one way or another.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2015, 08:41 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

What great advice! I am going to check out a lot of these sources - looks like I lot I can learn!
I have been helping Aastha with Wish RAK, and she just sent me this lovely card - what a pretty background she created. I thought some of you might want to take a look:

From Aastha by etsdas - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by etsdasView Post
What great advice! I am going to check out a lot of these sources - looks like I lot I can learn!
I have been helping Aastha with Wish RAK, and she just sent me this lovely card - what a pretty background she created. I thought some of you might want to take a look:

From Aastha by etsdas - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Thankyou for your kind words Dorothy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2015, 12:17 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

Wow! My first card was nowhere near that pretty! It looks like you've been doing this for a long time, not just starting out! Just lovely...

Reply With Quote Likes