Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-31-2017, 05:28 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Have you made and used card Kits

I saw a gallery post by Lazylizard that reminded me of an idea I've had for some time. I've been thinking about going through all my cardstock, die cuts, embellishments etc to create color coordinated kits that would make say a half dozen card once everything in the bag is used. I'm thinking it would serve several purposes:

Save time

Use up bits that have already been cut, stamped etc.

Could be a ready gift for crafty friends.

Help me be creative when I have some time but am not up to "the mess".

Often now I find myself pulling out a coloring book instead of crafting and while relaxing it doesn't require much creative effort but it's just so much easier than going thru an entire room of stuff and then having to put it all back afterwards. Even worse not putting it all back and not having a clear space to just color next time.

The biggest drawback I see is not using just what is in the "kit". I know it will take some discipline to not start pulling out other stuff "because it would be perfect". That defeats the purpose and make all the time spent putting the kits together a waste.

So what do ya'll think? Have you tried it and more importantly did you actually use the kits or are they still sitting in a corner somewhere collecting dust.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
gobarb26 (08-24-2023)
Old 12-31-2017, 05:32 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Nothing wrong with pulling more stuff out when you start to create. If a kit jump starts your creativity, then go for it!

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by fl_beachbum:
lynnewithane (11-21-2023), Teachybaby (08-23-2023), wavejumper (11-14-2023)
Old 12-31-2017, 05:34 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,061 Likes on 816 Posts

I've done it in swaps and enjoyed it. I think if you get yourself into the right mindset it can work very well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2017, 05:58 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you haven't already bumped into Kristie Marcotte, you might like to poke around her blog. She might give you ideas for your card kits. (Card kits are not a good fit for me, personally, but I like how she's focused on using up pretty much everything.)

https://eponinekc.blogspot.com/2017/...ards-from
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2017, 06:42 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

One other plus could be jump-starting card making when you don't feel any mojo. With coordinating elements, you wouldn't need to feel creative and inspired - you'd just start making. : ) If you go ahead with it, report back on how it goes, okay?

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2017, 06:44 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I haven’t done official kits, but I do often save extra die cuts or background bits in an envelope, and sometimes if I’m feeling creative but not particularly energetic or inspired, I’ll pull the envelope out and see if there are any creative uses. It saves from having to pull out my Cuttlebug, plates, dies or embossing folders at least. I’ve also tried to do more cards in stages if I have an idea for something more complex. I’ll just do the die cuts or the stamping or the coloring instead of feeling like I have to do it all at once. Again, it’s less time and I’m not pulling out all my supplies (that I’ll later have to put away).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2017, 07:37 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Creative Cardsea makes "stash kits" from her existing supplies. I first read about it in a "spending freeze" thread, then clicked over to her blog. I thought it sounded like an excellent idea, but so far I haven't implemented it for myself...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2017, 10:18 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
If you haven't already bumped into Kristie Marcotte, you might like to poke around her blog. She might give you ideas for your card kits. (Card kits are not a good fit for me, personally, but I like how she's focused on using up pretty much everything.)

https://eponinekc.blogspot.com/2017/...ards-from.html
Oh, she's the one that will use an entire 6x6 paper pad to make cards! I had forgotten about that. Given my stack of 6x6's I'll have to re-visit her blog. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
lynnewithane (11-21-2023)
Old 12-31-2017, 12:35 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think making up kits is a good idea, if you will use them! For myself, when I feel the creative urge, it is usually because of a card I have seen on Pinterest, or something specific I want to do. The chances of a previously preppped ‘doing it’ for me is very remote. Sadly. I know my habits too well ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Teachybaby (08-23-2023)
Old 12-31-2017, 04:40 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardmaker2View Post
I think making up kits is a good idea, if you will use them! For myself, when I feel the creative urge, it is usually because of a card I have seen on Pinterest, or something specific I want to do. The chances of a previously preppped �doing it� for me is very remote. Sadly. I know my habits too well ;)
I'm that way, too. Occasionally when I'm stamping and coloring a cute image, I will do several while I have everything out. I always think I will use them later on to make a card. I have hardly ever done that. When the spirit moves me, I always seem to like to start from scratch.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2017, 07:03 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I make up card kits with paper, stamps, embellishments and an idea either from the gallery here or from Pinterest. I keep them in large zip lock bags and can just pull one out and get started. I'd been doing this with cross stitch fabric, threads & patterns and found it works just as well for papercrafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2018, 12:16 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,061 Likes on 816 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I'm that way, too. Occasionally when I'm stamping and coloring a cute image, I will do several while I have everything out. I always think I will use them later on to make a card. I have hardly ever done that. When the spirit moves me, I always seem to like to start from scratch.
Same here, but it worked for me when I did I as a swap, which was why I mentioned getting in the right mindset. In the swaps, it was fun to see what everyone created from the same kit, how different the end results were. But left to my own devices I tend to start from scratch. That also licences me to throw out the extra die-cuts and punched pieces that many keep ;-). Birds and butterflies are the exception, they will always get used sometime!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2018, 04:54 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Other than putting extra die cuts in die pouches, the only jump-starting I've done is with color schemes. Occasionally when looking through papers, colors that look great together but are not right for the current project hit me. They're put in job ticket holders - full sheet and/or scraps - for future use.

I use papers from many companies and sometimes it's fun to fool around with combinations with no project in mind. Plus a designer who also used to teach at an LSS (now closed), sometimes used double-sided paper for card layers. I never do that so am reminding myself to include DSP when fooling around with color combos.

I'm happiest just messing around with color, papers, mediums. Forget about completing anything. Not that I'd admit that.

Last edited by bjeans; 01-01-2018 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: Chrome spacing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2018, 06:45 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 666 Likes on 418 Posts

I have been accused of being a hoarder ( more than once) when it comes to supplies so, I really don't make "kits" but, I Do use up my scraps I either stamp sentiments on them and or die cut them then and there or toss those in a SU clamshell box to diecut later, and I do cut shapes from my scraps when I get new dies and sort those into clear tiny envelopes. I find I use my dies more if I can push around the die cut it self rather than the idea of yeah, you own a tree or a deer or what ever.
And I like making tags the most so, a lot of my scraps get cut into blank tag shapes to use down the road.

but, I think I kind of use these things they way other people describe how they use kits, it's just not so structured.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2018, 08:00 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year a friend that doesn't stamp wanted to come over and make some cards with her 85 year old Mom. I thought the easiest thing would be to make up kits (like my demo does).
I had the images stamped ready to color and all the components including the envelope in clear envelopes. I made 8 styles with 4 of each style so that if they wanted to do the same card they could. It worked out pretty well.
I winter at my condo in Florida... It does not have a craft room so everything must be hauled out and put away every time I decide to make cards.
I planned to make up card kits this summer for my own use, I ran out of time. But I think it would be a perfect solution for me in the future. It would save me from hauling a lot of tools and stamps back and forth. it would also save me from the big mess I create when creating in FL.
In MI I just shut my craft room door.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2018, 05:05 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lots of pro and con's mentioned, thank you. Now that the holidays are over and once I've gotten my house 'back together' I'll check out those blogs too. Hopefully they will help with the putting together phase and yes I will let y'all know how it goes.

One big question mark is sentiments, pre stamp or not. Really want everything done but then again how do you do that without know what the card is going to be used for. Stamping things like, "just for you" or "thinking of you" for example will get really tiresome really quickly. One idea I had was to stamp different things on both sides of a tag; happy birthday on one side and get well soon on the other for example. It would double my options in each kit. Has anyone done this, what do you think?

I have so many bits that could be used on cards. I have been better about using them since I reorganized several years ago into color groups but the pile seems to be never ending maybe using kits and not looking at what else I have will help. If I don't look I won't be tempted.... right ;).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2018, 05:26 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

I might stamp several different sentiments and put them all in the bag/box so you can choose, and the others can move on to other kits. Or keep sentiments out of kits and have a sentiment stash ready to go in a box/pouch/mug/etc. You could even do a couple different types, like banners and round ones.

If your kit was set up to make more than one card you would use more than one sentiment too - sort of like Paper Pumpkin. Everything plays nice on the playground but you can change things up depending on occasion or your creative mood. Lots of "alternative paper pumpkin" youtube videos to spark the imagination in case you haven't seen any.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2018, 06:07 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't make kits but, like others, I often make multiples of things and I save project rejects - I always have extra diecuts and bows and like lying around - I keep some in containers, but I have a big cookie sheet where I throw awaything I don't use and it sits right under my worktable.

Lately I've used "low-mojo" times to stamp out and then color focal images. So, if pressed, I could assemble something out of things that are just lying around my studio.

Making kits wouldn't work for me. Once I had to make all the decisions about what to put in the kit, I'd figure why not just make the project already.
Reply With Quote Likes
jeanne3579 (11-12-2023)
Old 01-03-2018, 02:12 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I made up mini card kits for a friend’s chemo group once. Everything for each card, plus instructions for the card I had in mind all went into the envelope for the finished card. They were a big hit, and I cleared out some supplies, although it was a good hint at just how far 12x12 paper pads go! My friend sent me pictures of what some of her compatriots made, which was great. Some stuck with the instructions, and others went off road. The kits were a hit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 08:19 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I don't make kits but, like others, I often make multiples of things and I save project rejects - I always have extra diecuts and bows and like lying around - I keep some in containers, but I have a big cookie sheet where I throw awaything I don't use and it sits right under my worktable.

Lately I've used "low-mojo" times to stamp out and then color focal images. So, if pressed, I could assemble something out of things that are just lying around my studio.

Making kits wouldn't work for me. Once I had to make all the decisions about what to put in the kit, I'd figure why not just make the project already.
THIS. Me, too, for sure...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 08:28 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

We have a group that does shoe box swaps. I always make extra packets and when I am unsure where to start stamping, I pull out the packet and re-purpose it
It forces me to think differently. !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 08:57 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

There are some good ideas here, and I may make up some kits to give and use. Not much was said about purchased kits, but I bought kits three times. The first one with jungle animals was so good that I continue to use the stamp set and have used their ideas with all kinds of other animal stamps. The other two were meh, but that first made me a believer in selective purchasing of premade kits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 10:40 AM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I love Connie Stewart's Flash cards 2.0 (youtube) then she started making Now or WOW card videos (the same card but the now card is quick and the WOW card has extra bling or ribbon when you have a little more time) Check her out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2018, 10:58 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Sentiments at the Ready

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
Lots of pro and con's mentioned, thank you. Now that the holidays are over and once I've gotten my house 'back together' I'll check out those blogs too. Hopefully they will help with the putting together phase and yes I will let y'all know how it goes.

One big question mark is sentiments, pre stamp or not. Really want everything done but then again how do you do that without know what the card is going to be used for. Stamping things like, "just for you" or "thinking of you" for example will get really tiresome really quickly. One idea I had was to stamp different things on both sides of a tag; happy birthday on one side and get well soon on the other for example. It would double my options.
I really like Connie Stewart's (youtube) quick Tuesday tip:Always Prepared with a Sentiment by Connie Stewart
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the mention, Sue! I just added a part 2 to the original post - going over some other possible kit ideas.

My kits have evolved over time. I started out with a structured kit that had everything I needed in it. I could just take the kit and some coloring supplies and I was set to make a while bundle of cards. It was very interesting, but not something I could sustain over time because it didn't mesh with my go-with-the-flow creative process.

Now, I just make mini inspiration kits instead. Each Sunday, I grab some embellishments, stamps or dies that spark creativity and put them on my desk. Then, when I get a free moment throughout the week, I grab them and play around. Sometimes they're enough, other times they're just a starting point and I pull out more supplies to make a card. At the end of the week, I start over and pull a new set of supplies.

The important part for me is that the kits make the creative process easier or faster. I want to sit down to create right away, and not have to drum my fingers and think about what I want to do or, worse yet, go to Pinterest/social media in search of inspiration. Both of those are things that make me feel overwhelmed or that end up in a shopping spree that I'm trying to avoid. Having a starting point - no matter how small - gets me going and makes it easier to keep creating. It's a little like a snowball effect.

Of course, what works for me doesn't necessarily work for everyone. But I do think everyone should try putting a few kits together - if nothing else, then just to see what kind of lovely inspiring things you've already got in your stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2023, 03:34 AM   #26  
Inking Addict

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I like the idea of putting together a kit from the tutorials here. It sure would save time.
I am struggling with a Anna Griffin swivel and pop kit. I decided to just take it all apart and use what is in there for other projects. No sense wasting.
Reply With Quote Likes
hoptownracer1 (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 09:53 PM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Received 863 Likes on 514 Posts

I will use dies in kits for other purposes or cards other than the one intended for the dies. I think that is a good idea! I still have some bought card kits I need to put together at some point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2023, 03:08 AM   #28  
Inking Addict

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

My Anna Griffin card kit contains everything and directions. I just find it confusing. I did find her you tube but I still can't get the hankering of it. I am using her elements for other cards. I like the directions on Stampers Best because of the written directions and video. Kudos!
Reply With Quote Likes
hoptownracer1 (08-24-2023)
Old 11-12-2023, 04:12 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 247 Likes on 133 Posts

The time it would take me to put all the bits and pieces together, I would just as soon make the card. I do have a box for extra pieces that I end up with after making cards that I go though after a project is done and make cards out of them right away, before putting things away. Like I just finished my Christmas cards for this year, the theme being gifts, so had quite a few scraps of those cards where one of the gifts didn't come out right or the color wasn't what I wanted or didn't have the right ribbon to match for the card I was working on. I went through and created simple thank you cards for the Christmas gifts, kind deeds that come my way during the holidays. I made 6 cards with the makings of a couple more left over, which I will use if an unexpected Christmas card is needed, or I will donate them to one of the many groups that can use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2023, 04:58 AM   #30  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

It's timely that this thread popped up again. Kits are getting more and more popular, people like to make stuff without investing a ton of money or time. The first time I used a kit for Christmas cards, a light bulb went off in my head -- all the thinking was done for me and I could add my own spin or make it as it was designed. Now I use kits occasionally and I buy them by theme and how much of the contents I will actually use.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2023, 05:02 PM   #31  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,391 Likes on 521 Posts

I just subscribed to Club Scrap's card kit several months ago and have very much enjoyed them. I love following the video workshop cutting instructions and creating them pretty much as designed, but also adding stamping and extra embellishments. I create so much for classes, events, and donations that it's nice to follow someone else's instructions once a month! Plus, Club Scrap has some of the nicest cardstock I've ever used.
Reply With Quote Likes