Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to jogrybali
Smile selling supplies

Best advice ever!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by booklvrView Post
Don't sell your supplies! Do what I have done in the past, I go thru the stamps, the supplies, the papers, etc. and weed out what I am sick of, and know i will not use. I gave it to my daughters scrapbooking club at school and they were very happy to get it. I don't miss any of the stamps and things, and THEN I went and bought some new sets to get my creativity back, and it was almost like starting over again! It was fun again! I hope you get your mojo back! You will I'm sure! Smiles!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #42  
Mad Swapper

It may be that you just need to be inspired again. Try something new or explore a technique or medium that you have never done before. You could sign up for an art class or go to a gallery. We all get stale at some point. Just shake things up a bit and open your horizons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh, I agree with everyone. Do not sell your supplies. Believe me, I speak from experience. I did not sell my supplies, but I have tended to buy, and then buy some more. I got into a funk and thought how terrible to have all these stamps and probably never get around to using them all. Now, I packed up quite a few, and did not sell = but gave them to someone who just does not have the money to spend on any and she loves stamping. While I do not regret giving those items to her because it did bless me more than she can ever know, it has only been since they are no longer in my stash that I have seen a card and thought I could use that stamp. Oh well, I know they are going to be put to good use many more times by my friend. Bottom line, you will get back in the groove one day. Just sit back and relax and don't stress about your mojo being gone. I sometimes think that is what makes matters worse.

In the meantime, note you are certainly not alone, there are many of us who have been or still are in the same frame of mind you are in at the moment. Your mind will return - LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #44  
Polyshrink Goddess

Summer's always a tough time for my crafts! It's ok to take a break from them...they're a nice inside hobby for the cooler months!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #45  
Crimping Master

When I'm like that, I find it is usually because I feel constrained by something. Often it is time, but sometimes by an obligation to produce something for "public" consumption.

So, I tinker instead. I make things just for the sake of it, play with paper and ink techniques, etc. If something good comes of it, I keep it. If not, I throw it out. No one sees it and it doesn't matter if I even finish anything because there is no intention to produce anything. It is quite cathartic.

I've been looking at art journalling videos on You Tube and was just thinking that this might be a good direction for my experiments.

Perhaps it might work for you too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #46  
Crimping Master

Just thought too...

I often go through my old magazines and add to my inspiration book.

I cut out and notate images that catch my eye and then add them to an art journal so I can find them again when I need them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #47  
Matboard Maniac

I think a lot of us are having the doldrums. I'm in a bit of a funk myself. I had all sorts of time this weekend and intended to get a bunch of cards done. I did two. One was okay and the other I wouldn't even give to a person I didn't like very much. But one of the things I'm going to try is something that has pulled me out of the pits before. I sit at my table and riffle through all the little bits and pieces within arm's reach of my chair. I challenge myself to make at least six cards with only what I can touch on my desk. It usually gets my mojo flowing again.

Makaren
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

My muse sometimes takes a flight to parts unknown. I know she'll be back and I use that time to read, sew, clean the studio, etc. Then something clicks and I'm down the rabbit hole again. Hang in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 04:44 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here we go again................

Feb of 2010 my Dad got very sick and I moved mom and dad 3 times in 3 months. FINALLY able to get back to MY family/life last summer.

Took me the first 6 months of this year to get my creativity back.

I made some Fathers Day cards and grad cards for the first time since Jan 10.

My Dad is sick again.........Mom needs more help.......

good bye lovely workbench......see you in a year or so......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 05:11 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been in this funk many times. I have part of a room with all my stuff in it. Partically organized. DH moved in a big gun safe, started buying guns, stuff etc. Even his fishing bags came in. I can hardly move around in it. What have I done???

I have gone to the recycle and Big wish raks and granted "stuff" away. Not caring if the stamp set was a retired SU and I could make $$ from selling it. I love giving the goods away to someone who will enjoy them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 05:23 AM   #51  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
Hey, there was a time I only made one or two cards a month. I was happy with that. I maybe now only make four to five except around holidays, graduation time, etc. I have no problem with any amount I make...it all makes me happy!
I blog and feel obligated to post almost daily. That's the reason for burnout.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2011, 05:42 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

My blog has suffered for a month or so now. As a new consultant for a new "home party" business, I should do it daily. I work 10 hours a day, get up at 3:30 am, and finally home about 6pm. Mostly because I live 45 minutes from work, but the traffic makes it 1.5 hours - and on a friday or if there is a wreck...gezzzz

That is the biggest reason for not crafting, but well DH runs a close 2nd, as he really does't like my hobby much. I need it for sanily purposes! When I get in the mood and on a roll - I have the time of my life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2011, 03:58 AM   #53  
Cardstock Collector

Try changing the time of day that you stamp/scrapbook. I am usually just a weekend stamper. . . and the early hours of the am are my favorite times to create. . . sometimes even going back to bed later in the morning! My way to treat myself! I am having crazy thoughts in my head about moving my stamp room so that I can have another bedroom for my grown children's family when they come to visit. But that would mean moving crafting stuff into regular living spaces. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!

If heaven doesn't have rubber stamps, I don't wanna go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #54  
Crimping Master

Have you got room in your craft room for a sofa bed? Or perhaps a bunk over a desk?

That way you can craft in the space most of the time and tidy it up if/when you get visitors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #55  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoffeeKatView Post
Have you got room in your craft room for a sofa bed? Or perhaps a bunk over a desk?

That way you can craft in the space most of the time and tidy it up if/when you get visitors.
Yes, I have a couch. It gets used if I have company. The problem with my messy room is that I am into mixed media, polymar clay, scrapbooking. I do have a big shelf but I really would like to get rid of it, but that can't happen.

My overstuffed room is one reason I'd like to pack it in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2011, 05:06 AM   #56  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrellyshirleyView Post
Here we go again................

Feb of 2010 my Dad got very sick and I moved mom and dad 3 times in 3 months. FINALLY able to get back to MY family/life last summer.

Took me the first 6 months of this year to get my creativity back.

I made some Fathers Day cards and grad cards for the first time since Jan 10.

My Dad is sick again.........Mom needs more help.......

good bye lovely workbench......see you in a year or so......
I hope your dad is well soon. (((hugs)))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2011, 05:09 AM   #57  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapbook4everView Post
Explain that to your readers and take a break. They'll live and be very sympathetic. You'll get refreshed. You'll come back with better content on your blog. It's a win-win situation.

Everyone needs a vacation every now and then!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2011, 05:32 AM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I let the crap room pile up and up and up so there ends up being no way to get in there to do anything fun.

Then the mood will hit to clean and organize - and purge! I get rid of tons of stuff - old stamps I have never used and will never use, papers that are nice but that I am not in love with, dried out paints, tiny pieces of pencils and crayons, and tons of embellishments that I seem to accumulate and never use. By the time I am done, I have $ in my pocket from selling off the mass, a clean room, and a fresh attitude about it.

It's only then, when I can see and get to the supplies I have, that I can seem to get it in gear again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2011, 06:32 AM   #59  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am in a funk too. Don't know why. Could be a zillion reasons. I know I won't sell my stuff, I love it too much! Purging though may be a good idea. I have some papers and even some tools I will never use. Stamps though, would be hard to get rid of! LOL! I know I'll get it back--my mojo I mean, just wish it would return soon! I think I will go organize and see what happens!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #60  
Inking Addict

I'm the kind of person who goes through cycles of working on things. I regularly take long breaks from my crafting projects. Coming up here I'm going to take a break from working on custom ponies so I can focus on card making and scrap booking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #61  
Chat Box Chick

I quit stamping for quite a while. Basically, I got bored with it and with what I had on hand. I have just recently started to get the stamping bug again. I bought a few new stamps and BAM. I'm hooked again. I am now in the process of selling quite a bit of the stamp sets I had from before and plan to buy more new stamps to keep the creativity flowing. It has made a huge differene for me. I also plan to get rid of quite a bit of paper too. It is just too overwhelming to look at all that stuff sometimes. Makes me feel like I have no idea what to start with. So I'll go through it, keep what I know I will use, and the rest shall go. I believe it will be easier that way.

My Blog- Inky's Delight
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #62  
Hardware Hotshot

So Beth, I want to know...what have you decided to do since starting this thread?

I have actually had thoughts about packing it all in before. I usually go on a big purge and feel better.

Well, I'm feeling like packing it in again, and the feeling has really come over me this month.

For starters, I have to confess. I love the look of many store bought card companies. I miss their beautiful artwork. I love the lovely sentiments and the wording that you just can't find in rubber.

I don't like how much money I spend on the craft.

I don't like making cards just to participate in a challenge and see how many people have left a comment.

I am a slow card maker, and I am tired of making samples just to have something for my blog.

I don't like that I have piles of cards sitting around that have not been mailed out to anyone.

I don't like the time and space this craft takes up in my life.

Can anyone relate?

A part of me says "Pack it away." And then another part says, "Get rid of it and start afresh."

Twelve years of paper crafting. I just don't know. I am really tempted to go back to the happy days of buying pretty cards at the store. Is that terrible?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Mary Rose, some thoughts on packing it in: if it's not fun, stop at least for now. I've stopped sometimes for months and then couldn't wait to get started again. I don't do challenges or a blog, but make cards for my enjoyment and to mail to family and friends. I'm trying to use what I have and only buy new things that really catch my eye and keep it to a minimum. Maybe donating your stash of cards and starting new will help you? Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
So Beth, I want to know...what have you decided to do since starting this thread?

I have actually had thoughts about packing it all in before. I usually go on a big purge and feel better.

Well, I'm feeling like packing it in again, and the feeling has really come over me this month.

For starters, I have to confess. I love the look of many store bought card companies. I miss their beautiful artwork. I love the lovely sentiments and the wording that you just can't find in rubber.

I don't like making cards just to participate in a challenge and see how many people have left a comment.

I am a slow card maker, and I am tired of making samples just to have something for my blog.

I don't like that I have piles of cards sitting around that have not been mailed out to anyone.

Can anyone relate?

A part of me says "Pack it away." And then another part says, "Get rid of it and start afresh."

Twelve years of paper crafting. I just don't know. I am really tempted to go back to the happy days of buying pretty cards at the store. Is that terrible?
No, it's not terrible at all. If something isn't fun anymore - let it go. Find something to invest your time and money into that brings you great pleasure. It sounds so cliche every time I say it, but
Life Is Short!!! Find something else to get excited about and get to having FUN.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #65  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapbook4everView Post
Hi sweet Beth! I can totally relate to the blogging burnout. Honestly, I think you should just take a step back from the blog if that is what is causing the burn out. It's not necessary for you to post all the time.

As a stamp company owner, my blog takes the back seat quite often. I used to think I had to post on it daily and then I realized it just wasn't necessary. If I didn't post, would it really matter?? It didn't.....and still doesn't.....I just don't have the time or even the desire sometimes to sit and blog. When I do get the urge to blog, I blog and sometimes I will blog every day for a week and then take a week off. I stopped allowing myself to feel guilty about it and now it doesn't bother me one bit.

Do what makes you happy . Once it becomes a burden, it's time to take a break, but I agree with all these wise ladies.....you are soooo very talented.....hang on to your stuff. Your passion may return sooner than you think. ;)

Big hugs to you!!

Korin Sutherland
This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24
My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #66  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Can anyone relate?

Awwwww, I just want to give you a big hug . I can honestly relate to almost everything you mentioned and I own my own stamp company! LOL!

I would say this....

In regards to spending too much....stop spending and challenge yourself to use what you have. You may find more joy in it if you know you are using what you have and not adding to it.

In regards to making cards for challenges, I admit this can really suck you in. I personally LOVE the motivation I get from a challenge, but if you are at a point where you feel like you are spending too much time reading comments, maybe it would be best not to post them? KWIM? I feel like I waste so much time reading comments and if I didn't bother posting the cards I would save myself some time.....unfortunately, I have to promote my stamps, so NOT posting for me isn't really an option. ;) However, I could certainly just make it a habit to stay out of the galleries more so I am not getting sidetracked with comments.

In regards to blogging, I can totally relate. Sometimes I loath blogging. I feel like it's a total waste of my time....which I already do not have enough of. Read my previous response to Beth for my thoughts on that....

In regards to piles of cards lying around.....I AM THE QUEEN. I have SO many cards lying around it is ridiculous. In fact a couple months ago I got to the point where I decided it was time to purge and I filled a large Flat Rate box with over 170 cards and sent them to a friend who gives them to missionaries overseas since they can't get cards where they are. I can tell you it felt GREAT to relieve myself of so many cards while at the same time be a huge help to others.

In regards to the time and space it takes up in your life, it's my business, so it has to take up a lot of my time, but I do sometimes wish it didn't. If it's getting to a point where you just don't enjoy it anymore, take a break from it. Hang on to your stuff, but walk away for a while. Perhaps all you need is to fall in love with it again. And if you don't after a while, then maybe you've moved on and it's time to let it go completely.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

Big hugs to you!!!

Korin Sutherland
This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24
My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #67  
Matboard Maniac

I had to post again and report on my recent creative funk. I'm out of it. Mostly I've been "nesting" -- cleaning the house and weeding things out in preparation for retirement. 26 days and counting. I have found that I'm leaning toward some of my other creative pursuits, like jewelry, wire and polymer clay. I made a set of earrings out of turquoise donut beads filled in the middle with polymer clay that I stamped a number in. I made two sets of numbers from zero to 9 along with a set of ear wires with small lobster claw clasps. Every few days I wear my retirement countdown on my ears. A lot of ideas are building up right now so I think my funk has been overcome and my focus -- well -- refocused. There is hope!

Makaren
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #68  
Hardware Hotshot

I've decided to pack it up, wait a bit, and sell off gradually. I think I'll even document my paper crafting detox on my blog. I'm cataloging a list of more than three hundred stamp sets right now. This can be done!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2011, 02:45 AM   #69  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Can anyone relate?
I love store bought cards. I still buy them.

I have seriously thought about doing challenges just for the challenges. I don't need the extra pressure of comments. Life is too short to do things like that. I have way too many other adventures I want to do, like buy my horse and start riding again.

I am a slow card maker too. I am always reading. I am not joking I read over 1,000 pages a day. I am fast reader. I tend to work on my crafting items in between reading. Life is too short and there are too many good books to read.

Before I got into card making I sent out cards all the time. You sneezed I sent out card, lol. I wasn't that bad. I really loved the art of sending out cards. When I got into card making I let myself be pressured that if I sent out something it might not be good enough or critiqued. Then the whole thing of making so many cards per month just overwhelmed me. Some have talent at doing this. I admire them so much. I really don't have the talent. I rather spend the time writing long letters to my elderly family and send a store bought card that I lovingly picked out just for them. I do send them handmade cards from time to time for a special treat in the mailbox to make them smile.

I will not pack my crafts away. I like to make things too much. I make things on my own accord now. I always threatened to start a blog, gallery or something. I never do. The reason I have way too much other fun things I want to do. You know it's all about priority, lol. I can give my cats kisses or upload cards. Take a child for a walk and listen to their day or write a blog entry. I rather give my cats kisses or listen to children. I am grateful to the blog writers and gallery girls. They inspire me so much. The best thing I think ever happened in the digital world are crating blogs. I am a computer geek saying that! I wasn't made to do those things. I was made to do other things to inspire. That's what I have decided to do.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #70  
Polyshrink Goddess

I can understand the desire to just purge it all and be done--I finally got rid of my sewing machine and supplies a year or two ago and I still feel a sense of relief about that! I just didn't enjoy it, but owning those things made me feel guilty that I wasn't using them.

On the other hand, I would definitely echo what others said about not getting rid of everything yet. I thought I was done with stamping a few years ago and got rid of everything. Now, when I see a cute card made here with a stamp set I used to own and really loved, it's frustrating because I don't want to go back and re-buy it, but wish I still had it. Purging feels great, but be sure to hang on to your very favorites for when the urge to stamp returns.

If you can, get rid of any part of the hobby that feels like an obligation and then when you feel ready to return to it, it will be more of a treat and not a chore. This past summer, stamping helped me through a hard time. My SIL became very ill and while DH flew out to be with her, I stayed home with the kids. For days, I was glued to the phone waiting for updates and feeling helpless. I threw myself into card making and it helped by giving me an outlet for the nervous energy. When she passed away, I had plenty of thank you cards to send to those who supported us during the hard time.

I think that in this hobby, we can be so hard on ourselves--that we HAVE to make all our cards or everything HAS to be perfect. I try to remind myself that if I can't get all the Xmas cards made, I can always just buy some--no big deal. And sending a handmade card with a little note is going to make someone's day, even if I stamped the sentiment crooked--which I usually do!

Hang in there! And thanks for sharing--reading everyone's responses affirmed that my "funks" are normal.

Brooke
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh, Brooke, I hear you. Not so long ago - within the last two months - I was feeling guilty about the number of stamps I had and gave quite a few away to my cousin. There have been numerous times I have looked for a stamp to use only to realize that was one I gave to her.

We should never be too quick to purge. Just set them aside for a while, and when you return if you still feel that way, do it little by little.

As far as feeling I need to make all my cards - well, I only make birthday, thank you, sympathy, encouragement, a few special Christmas and Easter for dear loved ones. BUT I always buy box Christmas cards to mail to everyone else. Life is too short to get strung out on making so many in a short time, and that is exactly what would happen to me - I would get strung out, stressed out, etc.

I love this thread. It give me encouragement to see that others get into this funk just as I do. I want you all to know that I appreciate everyone on SCS. It was this site that gave me the encouragement to step out and give it a try. And I am grateful for that. Before cardmaking - I had NO hobbies, and I don't want to go there again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #72  
Watercolor Wizard

I have been through this a few times. And I can say, I am so grateful that I did not sell off my stamps. I just came from your blog, Fabulous..
Reply With Quote Likes