Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleeplesshelleyView Post
Mindykid, if you read my posts you would see that I definitely was not and am not saying anything bad about engineers, and that the debate was not about protecting a design but about trading low-effort cards for nicer ones with the intent of selling them for profit without disclosing that fact.
Let us know how it goes.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

I teach a lot of card classes at my LSS and was shocked to find a lady who took one of my classes sell the cards she made in my class at a garage sale along with her own cards. I WAS P-O'd. Like, a lot! I designed them, I prepped all of the materials, I taught the class... I guess she made the cards herself, and she technically owned them, but they were my intellectual property and the designs were protected under the copyright regulations at my LSS. I didn't say anything because I am an employee of the store and it would probably make things awkward for her and I in the future, but come on... That wasn't ok.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 01:20 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleeplesshelleyView Post
Mindykid, if you read my posts you would see that I definitely was not and am not saying anything bad about engineers, and that the debate was not about protecting a design but about trading low-effort cards for nicer ones with the intent of selling them for profit without disclosing that fact.
"He couldn't understand why I would be upset at all, but then he's an engineer, not an artist. So I thought I would ask my fellow paper crafters." My apologies - perhaps I misunderstood that you were talking about just your husband and not engineers in general.

And I still agree with him and others who have said that what people do with cards that are freely given to them is their own business. If you don't like what they do with your cards, don't give them anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
I teach a lot of card classes at my LSS and was shocked to find a lady who took one of my classes sell the cards she made in my class at a garage sale along with her own cards. I WAS P-O'd. Like, a lot! I designed them, I prepped all of the materials, I taught the class... I guess she made the cards herself, and she technically owned them, but they were my intellectual property and the designs were protected under the copyright regulations at my LSS. I didn't say anything because I am an employee of the store and it would probably make things awkward for her and I in the future, but come on... That wasn't ok.
So I have a Bucilla Felt Tree Skirt kit. It is all marked out. Everything is in the kit. Just cut and glue. Bucilla have "done all the work and are protected under copyright" however, I still have the right to sell it either as is or upon completion. What's the difference?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #45  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

When I do a card class, the ladies have paid their money to take the class, therefore the cards are their own to do what they like. I have already been paid for the class and my designs. That's just my two cents for what it is worth.

Would you dicate who or when they give the cards to people?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #46  
Glitter Guru

If someone doesn't want people duplicating their cards to sell then teaching a class in how to make them seems counter-intuitive to me.

I've taught lots of different types of craft classes including card-making and scrapbooking. Once I provide the instructions my control over what is done with them is over.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceramicat1View Post
If someone doesn't want people duplicating their cards to sell then teaching a class in how to make them seems counter-intuitive to me.

I've taught lots of different types of craft classes including card-making and scrapbooking. Once I provide the instructions my control over what is done with them is over.
I guess I have the same issue as some of the other commenters on here have: she passed them off as her own. Yes, my students get to do WHATEVER with the cards that they make in my class, I just felt weird about her passing off MY cards as her cards.

Whatever.. I guess my feelings aren't valid then!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

She sold the cards she made in the class doesn't sound like she made an unauthorized copy of the card so where is the copyright violation on the design. Even if she made another card isn't it likely that is what the LSS wants to happen? To sell more supplies, to further a crafters knowledge?

Perhaps Canadian copyright laws are different but in the US I'd expect that 1) there isn't a copyright issue by the maker as she created it in the class she paid for where the intent was to create the card and she can probably give or maybe even sell the card, 2) the copyright owner is the LSS as the work was developed by an employee as part of employment so the LSS owns the copyright. If anyone should/would have an issue it would be the LSS copyright owner and 3) if you reproduce that design you might actually be in violation of the copyright since it really belongs to the LSS not to you as an employee.

Add more complications to this if stamps were used on the card and the stamp company may have copyright issues since not all have angel policies.

I wonder how your LSS feels about this situation. I don't think that you have a right to be upset. If any one does it is the LSS. I don't think they would be, but maybe they feel differently.

Should I go delete the cards I've pinned as inspiration? Not look at cards in the gallery as I might subconsciously remember one and create a similar one?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

I guess I have the same issue as some of the other commenters on here have: she passed them off as her own. Yes, my students get to do WHATEVER with the cards that they make in my class, I just felt weird about her passing off MY cards as her cards.

Whatever.. I guess my feelings aren't valid then!
It wasn't your card though. It may have been your design, but she made the card. Again, I use the example of using a pattern to make a clothing item. Unless its specifically stated on the pattern (or in this case your class instructions) that you can't sell items made from the pattern, then she has every right to do with the finished product as she pleases. Not to say you don't have a right to feel anything about it. I just think sometimes crafters get too much on the "copyright" bandwagon and too possessive about designs that may or may not be original.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #50  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't belong to a swap group, but just wondering if it is considered rude to stamp your name on the back of your cards? I donate to a silent auction for charity, but I stamp my name on the back. If you really feel strongly about this, I would make the suggestion to your group that you do this. Very easy to purchase 'Handstamped by' stamps for everyone to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2013, 05:18 AM   #51  
Cardstock Collector

lynkim, I think most people who make cards sign their cards or put some kind of stamp on the back showing that they made it. I have several, including a chop one of my friends had made for me in China and one that says "Hand stamped by Shelley" that my mom-in-law gave me. I think some of my swap buddies just forget to do when they finish their cards, although about half of them do it regularly do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #52  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

What an interesting topic. I am curious, what exactly do you expect her to do with all the cards she gets at each swap? I don't do swaps regularly, but if I did, I am not sure what I would do with all the cards. I also don't think I would participate with a swap if there were strings attached to what I could do with them after the swap.

I believe that once you give something to someone else there should not be strings attached and everyone has their own code of ethics and rules that they live by. They should be able to do what they want with the items they receive based on their rules and code of ethics. You have a right to react and feel the way you do because you would not do that based on your code of ethics. Everyone is different as is obvious by all the differing opinions here. I don't think there really is a right or wrong answer here, just different opinions.

You say you were at a church event. I am not sure if that means you are a Christian attending the church or if you were just visiting for an event. If you are a Christina attending the church you may be familiar with the advice given in the Bible. When you have an issue with a brother or sister in the church you should first address it with them. If it does bother you so much that you feel you must do something. Then the best thing to do is to approach her one on one and talk to her about it. Honesty and facing the person directly is the cleanest way to handle any situation. Not necessarily the easiest. After you discuss the situation and if she still wants to handle the swaps differently than you wish her to. Then maybe you need to find out if the rest of the group agrees with you. And if yes, then you may need to ask her to leave. Again, not the easiest solution. But laying it all out and addressing the situation is better than just talking to others about it. She may have no idea you think it's wrong and that you are offended by what she is doing.

I pray it all works out for you and you are able to choose the best way to handle the situation.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes