Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hate to ask, but which set for Baby Sympathy card...?

My good friend lost her baby this past year at 5 months along. She's still having a hard time coping with it, and has decided that making Sympathy cards to donate to the Hospital would be good therapy (and I agree).

I'm trying to choose a stamp or stamp set to get her started, but I'm having a hard time choosing one.....I'd like it to be for a baby.....but not cutsie.

Any ideas on current or retired sets that would be appropriate?.....doesn't have to be SU.

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #2  
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 396 Likes on 239 Posts

Tara, I donated a bunch of sympathy cards to a NICU through a thread on here. I just used "So Very" with some patterned paper. I need to make some more, but these are especially difficult, as you can tell. I was thinking of using some of the smaller pieces from "A New Somebunny to Love" as well -- rattles, shoes -- just specifically baby.

Good luck. This is definitely a need, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Subscribing. I would like info on this too.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:46 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

We had a daughter who was stillborn and I like cards that don't have specifically baby things like feet hands etc. I like a simple flower or star etc. I think a dragonfly is often connected to the death of a young child/baby also. Our daughter died 3 years ago and I still have some very sad moments. Thank you for walking through these dark days with her. Reaching out to others by making cards will be amazingly healing for her I'm sure. Hope that helps.

my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

I agree that baby images are often tough to see for a bereaved parent. I have personally been drawn to daisy images after reading "The Legend of the Daisy". I think the daisy type flower in Doodle This works well but I'm sure there are others also.

The Legend of the Daisy

The Creator looked down. All over the earth He saw parents whose hearts were heavy. They had lost the littlest of his creatures, their precious children. He saw their tears and heard their silent prayers. He sent to earth a special flower...a flower that would be just for them. He scattered this little flower far and wide… in gardens and in fields, along roads and paths, in bright sunlit pastures and into the darkest corners. The Creator sent these saddened parents the daisy, a little flower to be watered with their tears.

The daisy symbolized the souls of their children. Its bright white petals represented their purity and innocence: the green of its leaves - the promise and hope for brighter days to come.

The daisy thrived everywhere. It stretched its bright face toward Heaven. The special little flower was given to remind each mother and father of their little one who rested in the light and beauty of the Creator.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

I don't have time to look for it right now, but sometime in the last couple years, there was a challenge to make sympathy cards for the loss of a child.... Maybe it's in "ways to use it"? I'm sure someone will be able to find it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 06:44 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

I found the challenge thread mentioned above. It is a limited supplies challenge and here is the link: Forums at Splitcoaststampers

These are so very difficult to make. I usually use dragonflies, butterflies and flowers all done in soft colors like yellows and greens and purples.
Just Us Girls Challenge DT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I agree with the others to stay away from using baby images. I think it would be a tough reminder of what they have lost, or of the baby announcements that they won't be able to use. I think flowers, butterflies, etc. would be good choices.
Thanks for the link to the challenge. I will check that out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #9  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

RAK for H.A.N.D.S. (1)
RAK for H.A.N.D.S. (1) by TeeGeeDee at Splitcoaststampers

Uses seashells and this computer-generated text:

The tide resides but leaves behind
Bright seashells on the sand
The sun goes down but gentle warmth
Still lingers on the land
The music stops and yet it echoes on
On sweet refrains
For every joy that passes
Something beautiful remains

RAK for H.A.N.D.S. (3)
RAK for H.A.N.D.S. (3) by TeeGeeDee at Splitcoaststampers

Uses stars and this computer-generated text:

Perhaps they are not stars in the sky, but
Rather openings where
Our loved ones shine down to let us
Know they are happy

(Eskimo saying)

I also recall reading that butterflies are often used in these situations.

I am sorry for your friend’s loss but glad that she has a good friend by her side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Sadly, there is a need for this type of card---and it is probably one of the most important times you can reach out to someone.

I have a post with a poem I like to use for baby sympathy cards on my blog--Here is the post:
http://myblogbycammie.blogspot.com/2...d-to-find.html

I would agree to stay away from baby images for these types of cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by kangel23View Post
I agree that baby images are often tough to see for a bereaved parent. I have personally been drawn to daisy images after reading "The Legend of the Daisy". I think the daisy type flower in Doodle This works well but I'm sure there are others also.

The Legend of the Daisy

The Creator looked down. All over the earth He saw parents whose hearts were heavy. They had lost the littlest of his creatures, their precious children. He saw their tears and heard their silent prayers. He sent to earth a special flower...a flower that would be just for them. He scattered this little flower far and wide� in gardens and in fields, along roads and paths, in bright sunlit pastures and into the darkest corners. The Creator sent these saddened parents the daisy, a little flower to be watered with their tears.

The daisy symbolized the souls of their children. Its bright white petals represented their purity and innocence: the green of its leaves - the promise and hope for brighter days to come.

The daisy thrived everywhere. It stretched its bright face toward Heaven. The special little flower was given to remind each mother and father of their little one who rested in the light and beauty of the Creator.

This is so beautiful, I have always thought of daisies as simple, uncomplicated, pure yet beautiful.
Thanks for posting this verse
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 05:14 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
RAK for H.A.N.D.S. (1)
RAK for H.A.N.D.S. (1) by TeeGeeDee at Splitcoaststampers

Uses seashells and this computer-generated text:

The tide resides but leaves behind
Bright seashells on the sand
The sun goes down but gentle warmth
Still lingers on the land
The music stops and yet it echoes on
On sweet refrains
For every joy that passes
Something beautiful remains

RAK for H.A.N.D.S. (3)
RAK for H.A.N.D.S. (3) by TeeGeeDee at Splitcoaststampers

Uses stars and this computer-generated text:

Perhaps they are not stars in the sky, but
Rather openings where
Our loved ones shine down to let us
Know they are happy

(Eskimo saying)

I also recall reading that butterflies are often used in these situations.

I am sorry for your friend�s loss but glad that she has a good friend by her side.
Both of these verses (the tides and the Eskimo saying) are available as stamps through AdddictedtoRubberStamps.com

I had to make a sympathy card for my good friend whose first grand daughter was still born and I used the set of 3 bunnies from Gifts of Spring. Here's the card: Symathy Bunnies by EmGee458 at Splitcoaststampers

I also made another sympathy card that could be used for a baby with the Eskimo verse seen here: Eskimo Sympathy by EmGee458 at Splitcoaststampers

I believe the butterfly is the symbol for a miscarried or stillborn baby. There are many beautiful butterflies that could be used also for a baby sympaty card. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 05:44 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori Lynn WashburnView Post
We had a daughter who was stillborn and I like cards that don't have specifically baby things like feet hands etc. I like a simple flower or star etc. I think a dragonfly is often connected to the death of a young child/baby also. Our daughter died 3 years ago and I still have some very sad moments. Thank you for walking through these dark days with her. Reaching out to others by making cards will be amazingly healing for her I'm sure. Hope that helps.
Lori, I'm so sorry about your little girl, thank you for posting....it's helpful to get the perspective of someone who's gone through it.

I like the idea of using dragonflies (they're one of my favorite things anyway). And the suggestion to use non-baby themes is a good one.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 05:45 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by kangel23View Post

The Legend of the Daisy

The Creator looked down. All over the earth He saw parents whose hearts were heavy. They had lost the littlest of his creatures, their precious children. He saw their tears and heard their silent prayers. He sent to earth a special flower...a flower that would be just for them. He scattered this little flower far and wide� in gardens and in fields, along roads and paths, in bright sunlit pastures and into the darkest corners. The Creator sent these saddened parents the daisy, a little flower to be watered with their tears.

I love this, thank you for posting! I'm forwarding it to my friend!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2008, 08:05 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

So sorry for your friend. I'm glad she has a friend like you to support her. I know when the same thing happened to me 4 years ago, I was very thankful for my friends who reached out to me and sent cards and visited.

I have a couple baby sympathy cards in my gallery that I made for the nurse at the NICU, that I read about in the limited supplies challenge

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

I agree that baby images are not quite appropriate. Flowers and leaves are nice images.

I think the most important thing is to keep it simple, say I'm so sorry, and don't fuss over it too much. Just take it over with some FOOD. She will probably NOT even feel like cooking, and would surely enjoy some company!

HTH.

Sincerely,
Deanna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 06:55 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm thinking something soft and soothing would be appropriate---I would use soft colors and a delicate floral. Although the cards are appreciated, I think it's the thought behind the card and the words you write on it that take center stage. I had a friend who's baby died in utero; she made a scrapbook for the baby in remembrance. Now, happily, she has 2 children.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Default wonderful

I just have to say as a fellow person who lost a baby (3 months along) I am amazed that you're there for her and making cards. I know when it happened to me no one knew what to say and the more they tried to make me feel better by the "its for the best" , "I know how you feel" it just made me feel worse. A nice card would have been wonderful.

I love the daisy saying, saving it for future use.
Thanks for sharing it.
Have a wonderful night!
Reply With Quote Likes