Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-26-2005, 05:09 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever ....

bought something at Michael's or Joann's because it was less expensive than SU because you could use your coupon then regretted it. I just bought background stamps from JoAnns's and didn't think about it but they don't completely cover the background. I have to stamp it a few times and so far I haven't been able to line it up just right.

I am going to stick with SU from now on.

What have you bought that you wished you had got it from SU.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2005, 05:29 AM   #2  
Sawyer's Texas LOSTie

Yes! I've bought background stamps at HL when they were 50% off and they don't cover the whole card. And it is practically impossible to line them up. SU all the way, baby - at least for background stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2005, 06:41 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Honestly, I love Jo Ann and there are tons of things I don't regret buying there, like fancy yarns to use as fibers (way cheaper in the long run cause you get 75 yards... I'll never run out during that crucial project)

But I bought gold eyelets there on their discount rack and I HATE them. They split open as you set them and then when you tap the back to finish them, they get deformed. They don't evey look round from the front. No more eyelets from Jo Ann for me.

Oh, and I've bought 2 Jo Ann Essentials alphabets. The stamped image is distinctly smaller than the image on the block! That really bothers me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2005, 09:03 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I regret all the cardstock I've bought there and I also regret using one of my Michael's coupons for a package of Marvy Uchida markers. For starters, I hardly even use markers because I prefer to just use my blender pens and ink pads to color with, and the colors turned out horrible. They're supposed to be pastels and they're all super bright. I don't buy very many stamps outside of SU because it's really hard to justify paying $8 for one stamp. And yes, I also am a victim of Joann's cheap eyelets. Never again.

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2005, 09:29 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Talking MICHAELS/JO-ANNS

I've bought the 1/8" and 1/16" hand punches at Michaels. I also bought some card stock. I prefer SU cardstock (course colors match better). When planning out a card I was using the stock from Michael's. I've bought eyelets from Wal-Mart only to find out I couldn't set with the the punches as they are harder than SU's. I still have them for my personal use and set with a hammer. Actually I use the edge of a horseshoe as I haven't gotten around to buying that little hammer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2005, 09:33 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by smiles2ualways

What have you bought that you wished you had got it from SU.

Just stamps....I dislike Joann's and Michaels stamps intensely. It's like no thought goes into the the design of them at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2005, 09:34 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampysister
But I bought gold eyelets there on their discount rack and I HATE them. They split open as you set them and then when you tap the back to finish them, they get deformed. They don't evey look round from the front. No more eyelets from Jo Ann for me.
I bought the same eyelets - only I bought several packs in a variety of colors. They are the most horrible things. They have some useful things as far as tools go, but I will stick with SU! for the most part.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2005, 09:36 AM   #8  
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

I can't really say I "regret" buying stuff from Micheals. I just wish I hadn't bought so much of everything. I bought for scrapbooking before I discovered SU so now I'm stuck with way too much that isn't the quality of SU.

I will still use it for scrapbooking but not for my cards.

The only thing I regret about my coupons is that I spend way to much money trying to save 40-50%! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2005, 09:51 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Wink

I've bought 5 packages of 80 sheets of SLAB paper for my scrapbooking addiction (I'm in therapy now...doing very well... now I'm addicted to stamping). I have also bought most of my scrapbooking supplies (eyelets, brads, fibers, stamps, stickers, vellum...everything!!). When I first showed DH my SU book he groaned when he saw the prices of the stamps...that's it off we go to Michaels... I pointed out the cost for 1 stamp. He doesn't groan anymore and actually reenforces my decissions (like when I joined April 25th, I made many substitutions for my starter kit just to find out 1 week later that they were being discontinued :eek: ... he told me to keep them!!- Cool, gotta love him!)
As for all my Michaels' purchases... each of my 3 adorable kids make their own scrapbooks so everything will eventually get used up, even the 400 sheets of SLAB papers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2005, 10:08 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I never buy stamps or cardstock from JoAnns. Or ink...or eyelets... Some stuff you just can't beat SU! I my heat gun from JoAnn and haven't regretted it. I also buy stuff SU! just doesn't carry (Xyron, embellishments, etc). SU!s stuff may be more expensive initially, but the quality is ALWAYS unmatched. Saves $$ in the long run.

"Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment" -Ben Franklin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2005, 10:13 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I just did not have clue, but from Michael's I bought cardstock and a black inkpad (black is black, right, how could SU be any better - ha I was so new to SU - now that pad is dried out and its too small).

Also I regret eyelets and eyelet setter from Wal-mart. Eyelets suck and the setter did not work, I thought I was doing it wrong, no, it just did not work. Now I have the SU toolkit.

I also regret buying square and round paperpunches from CM. I thought having 2 different sizes would be nice, especially for layering, but they are just not SU quality, not as easy to use as SU...

[email protected]

"The joys of parents are secret, and so are their griefs and fears"

-Frances Bacon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2005, 12:17 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Stamps that are mismatched, can't really design with them.

Paper that isn't SU quality, and colors don't match anything.

Ribbon, buttons that don't match.

Pigment ink pads. Yuck!

Crafty sewing machine that is worthless!

The list goes on, but suffice it to say, I stick with SU.

kk
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2005, 12:24 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a giant crate of paper from Micheals/Joanns that I have to use. My DH says I MUST use it. So.... all my family are getting scrapbooks for Christmas. I have LOTS of work to do!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2005, 03:08 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you, now I know I am not the only one. I have so much Michae'ls paper that I am trying to use. I have the marvy markers, all kinds of eyelets. My stamp room is filled with stuff I bought before I found stampin up or I thought with the coupon would be cheaper. But now I know to stick with SU. It is sooo much better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2005, 05:10 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by smiles2ualways
I have so much Michae'ls paper that I am trying to use. I have the marvy markers, all kinds of eyelets. My stamp room is filled with stuff I bought before I found stampin up or I thought with the coupon would be cheaper. But now I know to stick with SU. It is sooo much better.
There's always ebay! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2005, 06:07 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

I bought a Fiskars brayer with separate attachments that are like background stamps. For example, one is stars, one is hearts, one is snowflakes, one is splatter, etc. I used one of the brayers one time, that is all!! Anyone want to buy it cheap?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2005, 06:40 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Not just the background stamps. Before I got saved enough to start buying SU sets I bought some of those el-cheapo tub type sets from both M's and J's and I'm regretting it big time.

I got them out for the first time the other night because I finally got brave enough to start playing and I have to remount all of them because that thick backing foam is all warped and some of the rubber has been pulled all skewy because of this.

Wish I'd known about SU before jumping into the fray. Thankfully they were sorta usefull for me to get an idea about how to handle stamps in general before jumping in and use the better SU sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2005, 02:23 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some BG stamps that don't cover the whole card, and I just tear the CS after stamping and layer it on a coordinating piece. Another trick I've used is to use a strip of crimped CS or ribbon to cover the "seam" where the two images come together.
I love SU! paper, inks, and stamps, but I can't say I've ever regretted buying anything from another source. If I hadn't liked it, I wouldn't have bought it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2005, 04:12 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Mine was white c/s. I thought, "c/s is c/s right? and this is *white* so it should be fine, right?" WRONG! It is so cheap and flimsy. It doesn't stamp as nicely as SU's USW and doesn't cut nicely. I gave it to the kids to do stuff with!

Docorate of De-Edumacation, Lawd, How Cum granted by Rainsong

"What's life if not doing things for other people?" Martin Gray

Eesay ymay allerygay !

ymay amperedpay efchay usinessbay
Reply With Quote Likes